Sign in to follow this  
ebns72

dak seang island

Suprised a thread hasn't been made yet about this island yet, considering it has probably the best jungles seen in-game yet (besides tonal). I have waited for a nam map with halfway decent jungles, and here it is. Check it out over at ofp.info.

This island has water-rice patties (yes, wading through waist-deep muck-style rice paddy!) and tons of custom objects. Not only is this an excellent island, but its objects can be quite useful in other islands as well. My only nitpicks are that A) the rice paddies could be more natural (they seem really squarish...err..hard to explain) and the undergrowth of the jungle could be thicker. Note to author-you can keep the polycount but make it appear the undergrowth is thicker by simply scaling a lot of the undergrowth from small "foot-sized" bush to malden "man-sized" tree.

Discuss.

dak_seang_02.jpgdak_seang_03.jpg

Dak_Seang_SF_Highlands.rar

I was also suprized that noone made a topic about it. It needs some little details to be fixed, but it's BY FAR (!!!) the best Nam map I've seen. Also the best jungle I've seen released.

I love flying my chopper over those trees and have my gunner spit down lead at the invisible enemy who is shooting holes in my bird smile_o.gif

You'll have the most fun using choppers for inserting an infantry squad for a patrol or raid. The island is unsuited for any armor IMO (but most of nam was indeed unsuited for armor)

I only miss an armed version of the CH-34... biggrin_o.gif

GET SOME GET SOME GET SOME!!! crazy_o.gif

The napalm looks very nice on this island aswell! Yes it really Is one of the best vietnam islands, but I only have serious lag issues when going MP... wink_o.gif

A note to the author if he ever decides to make an improved version...

To make more dense and realistic jungles, I would like to see this forest block

135_1109179993_jungle1.jpg

combined with this one

135_1109180047_jungle2.jpg

That would be kickass.

Well, I did a bit flying around with SEB AirCav pilots + CSJ Huye's... Looks nice. Though, partially due flying of course, my fps was at about 5 or so - never over 10 I think, no DxDll postprosessing in use...

I'll have a at the ground level later... I'm not a big fan of CQC/enclosed area type gameplay, due OPF engine, but the pics look nice and we don't have a map with large and dense jungle...

Gosh, I'm just repeating myself and everyone else.

Nice map.

i'm just guessing, but i'd say he wouldnt do that, just to keep the number of objects down to a bare minimum. lag's a bitch.

Please post screenshots and a download link when you make a thread like this smile_o.gif

love the island

very good

could be used as asian/south american jungle countries

love it

well i'm playing the map without serius lag problems (until i put to much soldiers on it but thats the problem i have with almost every map)

at ofp.cz they already said to keep your view distance down do that and you will see much improvement and good relistic effects for ambushes (my JJR aircav squad got wiped out 3 times after doing hard battle with NVA regulars who were waiting for us up a hill i never spotted them until the firing began and even then i only saw glimps of the enemy sometimes leaving me no other choice as to fire a complete mag in the bushes he disapeared in)

all with all great map good for Long Range patrols and ambush encounters and helo/boat insertions (althoug with helo is difficult sometimes as there are to few LZ's out on the map)

has anybody spotted any mission on this great island?

(Even if it is a very basic one)

the island has just been released so no missions yet

althoug im going to use this on in my campaign Operation sender green

the island has just been released so no missions yet

althoug im going to use this on in my campaign Operation sender green

I'm really looking forward to your campaign!

Happy to read this that you gonna use this fantastic island for your campaign!

As far as I know nobody did until now any mission in Vietnam in the modern era! So you are the first realizing this idea. Great!

I really like this island, only one problem, I have to turn my visability really low to fly. sad_o.gif

still a great island though!

I'm really looking forward to your campaign!

Happy to read this that you gonna use this fantastic island for your campaign!

As far as I know nobody did until now any mission in Vietnam in the modern era! So you are the first realizing this idea. Great!

to be honest i was creating some litlle nam missions on this island but for a moment i used a seal (sjb-tos-seals) armed with a S&E m4+m203 gl to test something out and then it hit me why not a campaing in the present day and so it started all thanks to this wonderfull island biggrin_o.gif

I missed that island.

downloading right now even if it will certainly make my OFP to crawl.

Nam missions with a low viewdistance and fog are really immersive, it should work very well there smile_o.gif

One question though-any Idea why that little bridge near the airbase is textureless?   rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]One question though-any Idea why that little bridge near the airbase is textureless? rock.gif

Errrm cos it's a beta tounge_o.gif

This island is brilliant, I really love it. I don't have any serious lag problems even when I have the map packed with soldiers, view distance 900. I always lower it when making 'Nam missions to make it more atmospheric, lower it to about 790.

Great island, can't wait for an update if there is going to be one biggrin_o.gif

sim

removed cuz i cant be arsed with flamers who prob wont get my point,

Great island, nice addon. shame about the dependencies

Not a bad idea. At least with the modern stuff you can fast-rope into the jungle *hint-hint*

fast rope in to the jungle and then step on the tail of a snake (as you all know out of a 100 snakes in nam only 99 have deadly poisen in them and that 1? well it will swallow your complete behind in 1 bite :P )

but jus for you capt frostbite because we orange lovers have to stick together ill see what i can do (our national color is next to red white and bleu also orange smile_o.gif )

smile_o.gif

back on topic for this island :  with the new stuff being build for it it will even be a better map i agree with capt frostbite probably the best NAM map ever for ofp(1)