Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

Gunner Palace

Looks interesting. But I amn ot sure how the media will come to it. Will it be Republican propaganda or Liberal hogwash to stir up anti-war feelings? It seems to be either of them these days when it comes to views on a subject such as this.

Looks ok, I will probably go see it...though unless I see it before March 8th, I will be stuck on my PC playing Brothers in Arms tounge_o.gif.

Crap, it screened here in Seattle 2 days ago... if only I'd known...

- edit -

Digging through the site, it seems to be somewhat apolitical, although very sympathetic to the military. It seems like there won't be much editorializing of why they're there, just some samples of what guys are doing day in and day out in Baghdad. Lead filmer is a 2nd gen army brat, put in his time as well as his dad. Figure it will be like COPS/MASH, and leave the editorializing to the Bash-the-American-Imperialism-Stalinists and Screw-the-French-Neocon-Nutjobs among the armchair quarterbacks.

screenings dates

Crap, it screened here in Seattle 2 days ago... if only I'd known...

- edit -

Digging through the site, it seems to be somewhat apolitical, although very sympathetic to the military. It seems like there won't be much editorializing of why they're there, just some samples of what guys are doing day in and day out in Baghdad. Lead filmer is a 2nd gen army brat, put in his time as well as his dad. Figure it will be like COPS/MASH, and leave the editorializing to the Bash-the-American-Imperialism-Stalinists and Screw-the-French-Neocon-Nutjobs among the armchair quarterbacks.

screenings dates

A person who claimed to have seen it on another forum said it was "raw" and arthouse-ish movie...whatever that means.

Just heard about this a week ago, I'm looking forward to it a lot. I doubt it will come to cinemas here in Finland, at least for a long time.

There's so much BS flying around about the U.S military around here that I really hope it will be released in Finland too.

But I'll see it one way 'or another' unclesam.gif A lot of previews even emphasize that it's quite humorous, sounds very good.

It got shot with the US armys certification and authorization so what do you guys expect?

It'll be riddled with 'US army = Angels from heaven' sorta propaganda. I've already seen one a film from reuters where a US army gen. is calling Fallujah based rebels as satans so , be prepared for more religious inspired analogys being drawn on the conflict.

Keep a dustbin nearby too incase you wanna puke.

It got shot with the US armys certification and authorization so what do you guys expect?

It'll be riddled with 'US army = Angels from heaven' sorta propaganda. I've already seen one a film from reuters where a US army gen. is calling Fallujah based rebels as satans so , be prepared for more religious inspired analogys being drawn on the conflict.

Hey, maybe you should see it first. wink_o.gif

I saw Black hawk Down too , and i saw a documentary on it afterwards i dont know from where maybe it was BBC ?!? but the it told that the only reason why the US army helped with the making of the movie with their hardware was after the films script was seen by the Pentagon and if it contained something criticizing them then it was to be 'sanitized' if the filmmakers happy with it , its all bells and whistles if not then 'get out'.

So this is once again a film about US army , do you really think they'll criticize anything SLIGHTLY , i'll expect the film to be as far from it. They'll carefully show all the 'good' parts about themselves and the rest willbe editted.

But yeah in the end i'll probbaly end up seeing it in order to verify my pre-moviewatch thoughts.

They'll carefully show all the 'good' parts about themselves and the rest willbe editted.

They'll show all the good and none of the bad? Sounds like the exact opposite of what the rest of the media does...

I saw Black hawk Down too , and i saw a documentary on it afterwards i dont know from where maybe it was BBC ?!? but the it told that the only reason why the US army helped with the making of the movie with their hardware was after the films script was seen by the Pentagon and if it contained something criticizing them then it was to be 'sanitized' if the filmmakers happy with it , its all bells and whistles if not then 'get out'.

So this is once again a film about US army , do you really think they'll criticize anything SLIGHTLY , i'll expect the film to be as far from it. They'll carefully show all the 'good' parts about themselves and the rest willbe editted.

But yeah in the end i'll probbaly end up seeing it in order to verify my pre-moviewatch thoughts.

How can a movie be called "Blackhawk Down" and have Hueys has the helos not Blackhawks. You lose some and gain some. Furthermore, some of the parts were not 100% accurate ("good parts were left out").

You expected a realistic portrayal of events by a bruckheimer movie? crazy_o.gif

You expected a realistic portrayal of events by a bruckheimer movie? crazy_o.gif

Nope but i was expecting Nicholas Cage to be in it tounge_o.gif

Well, Harrison Ford is starring in the Fallujah movie... tounge_o.gif

As for this being skewed in favor of the Army - it's possible. But are any of the embedded reporters in Iraq producing skewed reports? I know Agence France Presse had some embeds - I doubt they'd portray the US government in a good light all the time.

The impression I get is that this movie isn't a political movie - it's a documentary about soldiers in Iraq filmed by a film crew that was embedded with them. I'm sure some of the soldiers will say "I support Bush all the way!" but I'm also sure some soldier will be like "I hate the Army, I hate Bush and I wanna get the fuck outta here".

It's a documentary, not a propaganda piece. And I can almost guarantee you that you'll see that American soldier are very, very similar to soldiers from most of your countries. I bet you'd see similar personalities and attitudes among Germans deployed to Kosovo, French in Cote d'Ivoire, Russians in Chechnya...

I haven't seen the movie, watched the trailers, or clicked on the link, but I'm sure the acting will suck and the story will make no sense.  Good special effects, though.  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]How can a movie be called "Blackhawk Down" and have Hueys has the helos not Blackhawks.

They didn't look like Huey's but then again I aint seen it for some time, though i might tomorrow.

Quote[/b] ]How can a movie be called "Blackhawk Down" and have Hueys has the helos not Blackhawks.

They didn't look like Huey's but then again I aint seen it for some time, though i might tomorrow.

Huh?

They were definitely Black Hawks... rock.gif

In a few shots, mostly "top" shots they used Huey's(one you can see the green tint windows), but all of the major shots were with pilots and helicopters of the 160th SOAR, and all rappelling shots were with 75th Rangers.

In a few shots, mostly "top" shots they used Huey's(one you can see the green tint windows), but all of the major shots were with pilots and helicopters of the 160th SOAR, and all rappelling shots were with 75th Rangers.

The original plan was to use the Huey and not Blackhawk. (in the movie)

Yeah that was the original plan. I personally think I would've hated the movie if it had Hueys in it instead of blackhawks.

Time to go ask my manager when our theater is going to get Gunner Palace.

'Black Hawk Down' with Heuy's? Now that would be plain dumb crazy_o.gif

hey would use computer animated models, but hueys for scenes like that fastroping, etc.

For the crashed BH they couldve used a model, but for the flying ones where the camera is real close they would've had to use hueys...

But they didn't, so the movie turned "less" sad_o.gif

See, hollywood is already starting with the "declarification" process.

For hollywood this means not only good money but it is the typical american way to digest history. And this cheap and shaky camera scripts pretend authenticity... bullshit, the dialogues is simple-minded rethorical diarhea from young stupid soldiers that have never seen more than Mamas Backyard before entering this war.

In a few years from now the war in Iraq will be known as a glorious humanitarian war. And this MacMovie is just one step into this direction. Does it look critical or well-researched to you?

Piece of Junkmovie pretending to be "valuable"! Noone interviews american soldiers if the military hasnt checked the intentions.

So dear producers.. stick it up your butt, and dont try to earn money with this bloody war-merchandise!

I am getting sick of it.