Sign in to follow this  
zayfod

ECP 1.075...The countdown begins.

Opening thread has been updated again. smile_o.gif

Zay

Everytime you post something in this thread my heart goes to my head...I always am hoping for a release. Then the page loads and I read..."Opening thread updated" my heart skips a few beats, and I go back to normal.

Quit teasing us.

Naw...Im j/k, I like more info. Keep it up. But next time you post...post "RELEASED". tounge_o.gif

Oh my gosh! What a teasing thread! biggrin_o.gif

The features look fantastic!

Can you incorporate the new tracer script, maybe so that a tracer is fired from LMG's and HMG's every 3 or 4 rounds? With ricochets! Assault rifles probably shouldn't have tracers, at least during the day time. SMG's, shotguns, pistols, and especially sniper rifles shouldn't have them, at all.

Thanks, thanks & thanks ECP Mod team tounge_o.gif

You guys make OFP so much more fun to play. I'm sure to use the upcomming version from your masterly Modifications.

Keep on Going!

Regards

ohh...when this is released...i am going to have to pick between this and FlashFX....  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif  sad_o.gif

edit: holy crap just saw the teaser, looks great. How laggy is it going to be?

and are you giving all the helos downwash?

So is anything acctually said about the release?

Quote[/b] ]dabitup Posted on Jan. 02 2005,11:45

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: holy crap just saw the teaser, looks great. How laggy is it going to be?

Follow the thread, it's very interesting.

Quote[/b] ]Zayfod Posted on Pg 7.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All beta testers to date have reported considerably less load than previous ECP versions.   More details on our performance enhancements will be forth coming, very soon.

@ Zayfod:  Now that you have mentioned 'AI may call support' in the readme, could you give an example of what that's going to be?  Will some AI being heavily engaged look for players (or support units of any type) and call, "Alpha Black requesting airstrike at grid 56Bb".  And, if accepted, insert a S&D waypoint to their locale in their waypoint list?  (can you tell I'm REALLY hoping?)

That reminds me. I need to buy some Depends for your release, just because I might have an accident or play for days on end. crazy_o.gif

Opening thread updated again. tounge_o.gif

ECP AI have not been enhanced in this way. We have not followed, what you might call, a conventional mannor. We have not used waypoints or commands. Rather, we have given them more knowledge, more perception, and more communication channels to fellow AI (in all vehicles).

In this way, the engine remains in complete control, however you will see that the AI act very very different indeed. It is not that they were completely dumb in the past, but that often they were half blind, half deaf, and couldn't talk to their own mates in battle. wink_o.gif

Zay

Hey does the ai say stuff like if they see a freind go down they actually yell out Bastards! it doesnt neccesarily have to be that but i think it would give the ai a much more human feeling if the say stuff at random times or something.

Sounds even better and better every time I show up in this thread.

I am really curious to find out how the new AI features affect the battle on the ground.

Heads and thumbs up.

I'm really excited about this. Should save us using external scripts to enhance the AI's teamwork.

And, even though I'm usually not interested in tiny little bits of eye-candy, the animated hand grenades made me grin wink_o.gif

Opening thread updated again.  tounge_o.gif

ECP AI have not been enhanced in this way. We have not followed, what you might call, a conventional mannor. We have not used waypoints or commands. Rather, we have given them more knowledge, more perception, and more communication channels to fellow AI (in all vehicles).

In this way, the engine remains in complete control, however you will see that the AI act very very different indeed. It is not that they were completely dumb in the past, but that often they were half blind, half deaf, and couldn't talk to their own mates in battle.  wink_o.gif

Zay

Well, I'd say pre-'95 (maybe later?) all communication was through an RTO (radio-telephone operator), and communication by radio takes time... plus, if the RTO gets killed, you've got someone who may or may not have the same degree of skill with a radio or field telephone (field telephones use wire laid out within the perimeter) grabbing the radio.  If the radio gets trashed, then you've got no commo.

What needs to take place within earshot is shouting and yelling, that often drowned out by the sounds of battle.  Within view, hand-signals can be used, but if a guy has tunnel vision or target-fixation, he may not even see the hand signal.

Now, later than '95 or so, soldiers might even have cellphones in battle... I really couldn't tell you.  I know the Israeli undercover units use cellphones for their ops, just like any civilian would.

Then there's the problem of too many people being able to communicate, as described in the book "Black Hawk Down". Soldiers wind up thinking that transmissions or directions are meant for them.

Combat simply has the potential to turn into a fustercluck real quick.

That's why soldier mistakes or failings need to be added to OFP, also. FF, getting lost(just because a leader transmits the correct grid coordinates on the map, and that's no guarantee, that doesn't mean the listening soldier will find the right spot on the map, or even have the land-navigation skills to find that same spot on the ground), misunderstanding orders, soldiers deciding not to endanger their own lives for someone else, etc.

And then you've got the incompetent leader and stubborn arsehole factors... The underling needs the ability to make the call, "Are you sure?", with the Leader blindly assuming he made the right decision at least half the time, not bothering to double-check his info... or he might just say, "Do as you're told, Soldier!"

I would personally volunteer to record additional voice lines for vocal communication of the American soldiers. I've got a whole page of cold-war Army expressions I've recalled.

We would need some Ruskis to record lines for their side.

You guys are just fantastic! Thank you for making this! You deserve a motherload of money imo, but sadly I have none to give as a poor student... sad_o.gif

Thank you, guys and I hope you didn't destroy too many of those valuable braincells of yours during the holiday celebrations... xmas_o.gif

Will I be able to use this... I can't even get Kegeyts stuff to work on my computer without the game crashing at startup.

Will I be able to use this... I can't even get Kegeyts stuff to work on my computer without the game crashing at startup.

It seems very stable, I strongly doubt you should have a problem, and if you do we'll see what we can do to help you out.

"It seems very stable, I strongly doubt you should have a problem, and if you do we'll see what we can do to help you out."

Oooh! Thank You Thank You. I fell in love with this Mod the minute I read everything included, but my heart was filled with dread when the thought of my computer failing me came to mind.

You have reassured me.

:Counting down every second until release:

Just watched the low res trailer and couldn't read a line of text written, it looks awesome, great work ECP team.

BTW can I ask you for something?

If you update your first post again could you please put something like *New* next to the lines you just put in because I can't track what has been updated and what not. sad_o.gif

I would appriciate that very much. smile_o.gif

LOL I was just fooled on OFP.Info, I saw EECP release and havent actually noted the first E and began downloading all excited, when it actually has finished I actually noticed what it was. wink_o.gifsad_o.gif