Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

US Civil War Mod ver.1.0 Beta Released

@ bigus_dikus : Just downloaded your island, and quickly tested it : your idea of the fake bridge isn't that bad, cause ofp bridge aren't working well (infantry doesn't know how to cross it, especially when bridges are too narrow, and some scripts with setpos, like towing scripts, don't work with them).

Of course the island needs a little more work (towns, objects like farmland's ones), but : not too many fences please (they limit possible troops movement through the island, like in Gettysburg island), and not too many objects (because of lag). Keep up the good work  smile_o.gif

Well...

ProfTournesol likes to give compliments to others, but keeps quiet about his own work ;)

He made the cannon crew larger and way more historically accurate:

arty.jpg

...made some waving historical flags instead of my silly starched-stiff ones:

flag1.jpg

...and is working on a functioning bugler and drummer:

inf.jpg

Excellent work! Can't wait for the release!

Thnx ProfTournesol but unfortunately it's back to work

for bigus and then golf season is back in the great white north

so I dont think i'll finish the map anytime soon.

I was hopeing someone would finish it for me .  biggrin_o.gif

I'll keep plugging away when I can of course but want too

keep my time in ofp to playing. Basically my time off was

spent farting around with stuff I've never had a chance to

check out before ie:scripting,map making ,etc. and I've had the game

since 01! Thanx to the CW Mod team for the inspiration!

anyway.... the new units look awsome, especially the flag

units. cant wait to check them out.

bigus

Wow, those flags look great!

Bigus: I think the Bull run island is excellent (especially those roads going over the water, i like those battles for a reason tounge_o.gif ), but about the stone bridge... It's nice that the infantry can cross it properly, but right now it's more than a bit strange. Maybe a stone/brick texture and steeper edges and it would actually look like a bridge. Then it would also act like a bridge, as the AI couldn't go over anywhere but on it.

Quote[/b] ]are the flags waving?

In fact, it's just a modified proxy flag for flagbearers, with cw textures. (flagbearers are scripted, the script creates a flagpole very far, which setflagowner the flagbearer). So yes, the flags are waving, and the illusion is quite good (it doesn't seem possible to animate a "flag weapon", so these flags are not weapons).

Wow, excellent news!

Glad to hear about Bull Run, for a Southerner it's a more pleasant memory than Gettysburg tounge_o.gif (missed it by *this* much ghostface.gif ).

And those cannon crews, flags, and musicians! That'll add LOADS to the immersion, it's great to see how this mod continues to develop! Truly my favorite OFP mod!

So, will the buglers/drummers be "plug and play", I mean, without any external scripting needed? And how's 'bout the AI?

Quote[/b] ]So, will the buglers/drummers be "plug and play", I mean, without any external scripting needed? And how's 'bout the AI?

Yes they are "plug and play", no external scripting (just "internal", testing for example if the drummer is walking, retreating, stoping retreat...no prob with AI). But the drum and the bugle need good textures, and maybe "uniform details" for the musicians. I'm not good at that...

Hi

Tried downloading the campaign on page 42 (Bullrun.zip) but it seems to be gone. Anyone have it? I'd love to try out some more missions for this excellent mod.

Hello folks.

Our last release is out some time now and all off you are quite familiar with our stuff by now.

However, there is the everlasting discussion about performance and lag.

That is one of the reasons why Gavin offered his services to improve our units to a level comparabel to those of BAS and other leading modders.

As we took great care in crafting our units, even reworked every one after the beta release,

I had a hard time believing that our units were so much worse then all the others out there.

That there is a lag problem I do not deny, I just could not be sure where it comes from.

Therefore I figured out a procedure to compare our units to others, using the originals from BIS as a scale.

Here is what I did: A straight piece of road, about 750 meters long. Along that road are five squads with ten men each lined up in column, moving toward the camera. Now i do a camera “drive by†with approximately 40 km/h that lasts 60 seconds, recording the framerate as the camera goes.

At the start the first squad is 250 meters away, the last one about 750, so the further the camera moves, the more units get into the performance drawing range below 50 meters.

And here are my findings:

BIS Infantry: 18,267 frames per second

BAS Rangers: 18,000

CWMod Union Infantry: 17,500

CWMod Iron Brigade: 17,496

CWMod Confedrate Infantry : 17,490

CWMod Berdans: 17,564

Taking BIS as 100%, the BAS units score 98%, CWMod about 96%.

That’s actually a lot better then what we anticipated, but it only tells us that we do o.k. on the graphical side.

Much more likely the heavy scripting we use for formations and effects like smoke and such

cause the problems.

Therefore, from now on, our efforts to improve the performance will be focused mainly on the scripting.

Although the look of the units has room for improvement, we will assign that a dramatically lower priority.

Godspeed,

Pickett

Good good.

Especially for a historical mod like this, I think performance should be before the eye-candy. The units look at least good if not better already, especially with the v1.1 little details such as those mugs on the belt. Then again, the 1800's warfare is far from the modern one, this means, for modern missions we can easily have a large low-poly city, über-detailed and tiny Delta team and quite detailed terrorists. But when it come to US Civil War, I don't get too much atmosphere for those battles with 4 men for each side.

No, of course we cannot have thousands of units on field at time, but we can do good compromises, 30-40 men is more than enough for me, especially for low viewdistances. And open-area battles are usually fought on open area - not much objects.

More bullshit written by someone who doesn't know a bit of addonmaking.

Hi there, i made the bull run mission, and i have to say that compared to aother mission i have just made it looks pretty bad. ive made a western style missio nwhere you play as  a sherriff and you have to take your possie into a place called brey pass and rescue some civilians and shoot some outlaws, you can download it on ofpec - its in the pending list - Download it here

Features -

over 90 custom sounds !

- Almost everyone talks, even the bad guys.

- Fairly long mission, five objectives.

- Working Briefing & overview

- 17 scripts

- Custom Music

- Every ai in the game is either on Resistance or Civilian, and i spent ages going through the mission.sqm Changing All the guys from Resistance who were outlaws to East.

- Sound loop's for Enemy's speech, e.g. "Get the Sherriff, Yehaww, Look out, ect.." so it seems like they are talking with each other.

- Idle chat for the sherriff's Possie.

im sorry if anyones disapointed that it isent civil war but its still good fun biggrin_o.gif

Sounds good, downladin' now!

Actually, I've done some "missions" with the sheriff/wild west theme too, but they never got good enough to be released. Just some cool shootouts you can make with this mod. wink_o.gif

EDIT: Tested it, simply great!

That speech is great, though are those guys dementics or something? I've heard bullshit of their guy with a three-legged chair more than enough now tounge_o.gif

Now i've just rescued the second farm people, wonder what's this something-something scouting party?

Excellent Popka, sounds fun, DLing now.

Edit: Very nice Popka it is as nice as it sounds. Very good mission.

Has anyone made a working wagon that transports soldiers? Or maybe started one? I need one for a few little projects im working on.

PM if so

Quote[/b] ]

EDIT: Tested it, simply great!

That speech is great, though are those guys dementics or something? I've heard bullshit of their guy with a three-legged chair more than enough now

Now i've just rescued the second farm people, wonder what's this something-something scouting party?

the scouting party is not neccessary i ment to put optional in the breifing but i forgot, oops, between the first farm and the second farm just before the wheat field if you look to the right you will see a guy stood there with a dead guy next to him, and im sorry about the looping sounds but neither me or my friend who helped kublai felt like wrighting any more in the description file and we were running low on useful sounds too. im glad you like it though, thelooping sounds are ok if you try to not listen to what the men are saying, it is annoying though i must admit to hear severel times about how tumble weed thompson got his arm caught in a bear trap. glad you are enjoying it smile_o.gif

Very good mission! Nice job on it.

The sniper rifle is gret!

Nice job on the mission Popka!

Alot of folks have been asking for some single player

missions. Keep em coming.

bigus

this is the Bull Run map with fences and houses done as much

as there gunna be.

My Webpage

and in case you missed it.......

here is the mission pack update .The only change to

it was the ai leader can move the respawn point.

(good if your playing single player or co-op).

My Webpage

bigus

haha tsalag...i live 2 blocks from hollywood cemetary. However i went home last weekend so i didnt get a chance to go to that ceremony, but if you were there you should have at least called, im a very lonely boy... but anyway hope you enjoyed the richmond hospitality

i did not get to go, some of the people of a forum i belong to got to go and i got the picture site from them, right now i live in yankeeland but sometime soon i will be able to walk the native southern soil of home that i miss