Sign in to follow this  
brat

Soviet 1985 Afghan Infantry Pack

I'm sure the Afghans appreciated having a nice big red star to aim for.  wink_o.gif

The first one has a big green star to be aimed at tounge_o.gif .

I think most of these hats only have the red star pin on them, if anything at all... wink_o.gif

the pictures above are of a very early version of this hat from the 1930's. the big green star is for border guards or NKVD or something. you see the same big felt star on the old budikunova(sp) hats as well.

The hat hasnt changed much over the years, but the model's M-35 tunic is a dead giveaway

also.. has ahyone read "Afghanistan: A Russian Soldier's Story"

by Vladislav Tamarov?

In all the pictures in that book every single soldier with an afghanka has the brim turned up like these units do.

Its an excellent book by the way...

In all the pictures in that book every single soldier with an afghanka has the brim turned up like these units do.

This is one of those pictures.Although the brim doesn't seem so "cowboyish" on the real life pics.It's certainly a close likeness.I think that book is now on my "got to read" list.

Afghanistan_007.jpg

see Vila's 1985 units. a few decent infsantry units I really like, also tan uniform units. Even guys wearing the c**t caps.

Yeah, the vilas pack has some good units in it, including VDV and Spetsnatz units from the 80's.

Mind you i ripped apart the config and got rid of just about everything except the VDV,Spets and Polish troops

The russian unit with the KMLK jumpsuit w/ the hood up makes a perfect spetsnatz model

My sugestions on this pack be a few things, one is to lighten the floppy hat textures. The hats sun bleach worse then the uniforms.

Mix the boots, between the jackboots and lowcut boots. The low cut boots were issued a bit durring this time period cause jackboots have a nasty habit of ankle snapping. A few breaks in the model textures on the back of the knees and around the collars of some of the troops. The tan paraforce helmets be nice, I own a lot of this hardwear if you need pics.

Oh fixing so if your using conscripts like Afgan conscripts or Mongolina the hands are able to use the darker skin textures. All of Lasers units look like Frankenstine's monsters having white necks and hands with darker skined face.. ;)

I just tried these out after a two month hiatus of not playing Flashpoint. Way to go these are very good. The textures are really nice looks like fabric.

The only suggestions I have is on the panama hat. It should be more droopy like these...

I haven't seen any with the ends trained upwards. The only other suggestion is, maybe in the next version could the AK74 rifleman have a headache instead of a hat? Or maybe just add a AK74 with the helmet and have on with the hat?

Sputnik Monroe! It is an improbable fake. Various elements are collected, for various historical periods.

"Stars" (like cocarde) - uniform 1918 for RKKA (Red Army). Double star used on the "budenovka" (cloth helmet) only. It was used up to 1940. After that used only a big metal star on a winter cap ("ushanka"), up to the end 60. On panama used a small star only.

"Gimnasterka" (Shirt) - it is similar to a uniform 1970-85, but breed not that. It is modern fabric (1985 and later). Not soviet. Completely precisely.

Ridiculous fake.

Just found updated downloads and pics over at Flashpoint.Ru (sorry for the Babelfish):

Quote[/b] ]Project &.tsuot;Sovetskaya Epokha&.tsuot;: Afghan pack on 10 January, Monday// the author: Denorc Project &.tsuot;Sovetskaya Epokha&.tsuot; it represented in the law court of community the beta version of its Afghan pack, into which they entered: - Afghanistan Island - the soldiers of the Red Army of middle 80x it is annual - the soldiers of the Afghan resistance - two demonstration missions Author of island Afghanistan the demo- missions: Crazy_.Soldier

You can download these works here:

Afghanistan island and demo mission (9 mb.)

Soviet infantry 1.1 (3.5 mb.)

Afghan rebels (2.1 mb.)

Note 1: for the normal operation of missions and packs of infantry you will be required the pack of the Russian weapon ICP_.RFWP v.3.1

Note by 2: for the work with Afghanistan island they are necessary for you: AGS Industrial Pack And addon of airport from Mapfact.

Here is a cleaner translation provided by my friend Silent N Deadly smile_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]The project " the Soviet Epoch " has presented on court of the public the beta-version Afghani paka in which have come:

- Island Afghanistan

- Fighters of Red Army of the middle 80o years

- Fighters of the Afghani Resistance

- Two demonstration missions

The author of island Afghanistan and demos-missions: Crazy_Soldier

Compare my quote to Avon's. IMo, this one is a bit cleaner wink_o.gif.

So this post is not completely offtopic, the new Afghan island looks good, but it is too bad he did not include buildings and textures from CAT's Afghan pack in the island sad_o.gif.

The soviet soldiers in this back are good quality but the "afgans" are nothing like the real mujaheddin were. They are however quite good as the afgan government soldiers.

Now all we need is those soviet soldiers in woodland gear. I have been itching to create the red wave crushing into europe during the cold war! biggrin_o.gif

euh. Perhaps the default 1985 BIS soviet airborne troops might be nice wink_o.gif

But we could indeed use some soviet troops in plain green or in that special forces camouflage as worn by the default BIS troops.

About the afghan soviet forces in this pack;

Are these the same ones as released a few months ago, or is this an update? On ofp.info is says v1.0 and on flashpoint.ru it says v1.1 rock.gif

About the afghan soviet forces in this pack;

Are these the same ones as released a few months ago, or is this an update? On ofp.info is says v1.0 and on flashpoint.ru it says v1.1  rock.gif

You are probably right. The newsposter probably got mixed up betwenn translating it from Russian - English wink_o.gif. Thanks for pointing this out smile_o.gif.

Hmm.... the map is really good, but I noticed that there are some missing textures on a mountain near Kandahar. This may have been an attempt to make it look like snow but it looks more like it was just left untextured as its part of a valley section. sad_o.gif

The mosques look great though and the airport works. So finally we got an Afghanistan map with a working airport. Now I can fly in that big An-124 cargo plane with fresh meat for the meat grinder...oh...I mean infantry. Footmunch's Mig 23/27 and TomiD's Su-22 are great to use on this map also although flying is tricky with all the mountains and occasionally Ai pilots smack into them. lol.

Oh...also the custom buildings are pretty cool.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I've just rediscovered CAT's Afghanistan v3 and I fell in love with it all over again. That, coupled with the fact that I'm reading a book about the Soviets in Afghanistan makes me very excited about this pack. I'm gonna try it when I get home, methinks. smile_o.gif

Hmm....  the map is really good, but I noticed that there are some missing textures on a mountain near Kandahar.  This may have been an attempt to make it look like snow but it looks more like it was just left untextured as its part of a valley section. sad_o.gif

Try to copy snow.pbo from archive in a ofp/DTA folder. wink_o.gif

This is the real translation I used. The one Hooahman posted was the raw version. I don't speak russian I translated using a online translator and then I touched it up.

Quote[/b] ]Crazy_Soldier from "The Soviet Epoch" has released a beta-version Afghan pack.

What's Included:

- Afghanistan Island

- Fighters of Red Army of the middle 80's

- Fighters of the Afghani Resistance

- Two demonstration missions