Sign in to follow this  
as-33

The most annoying thing about 99% of all addons.

Yeah, all I need is a serious cash to maintain serious server with decent broadband. All that for non-profit addons that I do for fun.

Not to mention the legaly bought soft for site creating and other stuff that are well beyond me.

U'd better ask BIS or codemasters to host our addons till the end of life.

i could do that, but everyone forgot me :P

no one forgot you its no one likes you  wink_o.gif

sad_o.gif yeah...

I remember when I used to play Battlezone there was a simple readme format to go by that was released in the very very beginning of the game. Had everything to fill out in the readme file already (it was a template)... just fill in the blanks.

Would be handy for OFP2.

Quote[/b] ]no one forgot you its no one likes you

When he toasted all those hosteds...i was instantly a fan right there.

tounge_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]no one forgot you its no one likes you

When he toasted all those hosteds...i was instantly a fan right there.

tounge_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

& chances are that you never really appreciated me hosting them until it was taken away from you!

But anyway, please keep it on topic before I get banned again.

Well to be on the negative side the freelance addon makers and mods do maintain websites with updates, and patches. Causing often a costly problem of maintianing that site with time and money. Hell seen simple addons spike the bandwith on most of the free sites when they release something. Then you gotta pay to get it back up. Look at BAS and their hosting problems.

BAS, a very good example for what I mean. I can understand if they don't want to pay for addon hosting, and I can understand if they don't want to invest any more time. But come on: why did they have to give away the domain, if it would have cost them 3 bucks a month to keep it and put simple links to the forum topics where you can find their addons? It's just sad that so much good stuff gets buried under thousands of post in this forum when it would be so easy to make it accessible.

you have already said it, domain cost money, and most of the time a firstclass domain (which have a good flexablility) come with webspace and bandwidth which cost lot more then just 3 bucks,

I can get a domain with 3 MB webspace (enough for the website, a few screenshots, and maybe even the download) and 5 GB Traffic for 0,49 Euro per month.

Quote[/b] ]

besides, can you see the little "Search" fellow at the upper right hand side of this forums?

Yes, but I'm sure you know that it is almost impossible top find something on a 150-pages-topic when the search doesn't show you on which page of a topic the results were found.

I didn't know that each language had its own addon database - that doesn't make really sense.

yes, it does make sense. Otherwise all news in every language would be thrown in one database, and that would be chaos.

People would get search results from languages they don't even understand wink_o.gif

I didn't know that each language had its own addon database - that doesn't make really sense.

yes, it does make sense. Otherwise all news in every language would be thrown in one database, and that would be chaos.

People would get search results from languages they don't even understand wink_o.gif

I was talking about the ADDONS section, not NEWS. And the really funny thing is that the descriptions in the german addons section are in english (!), so there is absolutely no point in keeping the addon databases seperate.

Why did this get to 3 pages in " ADDON AND MOD DISCUSSION "

Uber(asleep)admin (wink) biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I was talking about the ADDONS section, not NEWS. And the really funny thing is that the descriptions in the german addons section are in english (!), so there is absolutely no point in keeping the addon databases seperate.

You were looking for islands in the "addons" search, and islands are not referenced into addons, but we'll fix it, thanks for the heads up.

About the conception mistakes on the site we're aware of it, you must understand that the first version of ofp.info was a simple hand-updated html page only in Czech then in php, then with several languages sections (and now php/mysql) so we're still trailing several problems and mistakes of the past. But if you're an php/mysql expert and you have a lot of free time we'd be happy if you'd offer your services. ;)

Quote[/b] ]BAS, a very good example for what I mean. I can understand if they don't want to pay for addon hosting, and I can understand if they don't want to invest any more time. But come on: why did they have to give away the domain, if it would have cost them 3 bucks a month to keep it and put simple links to the forum topics where you can find their addons? It's just sad that so much good stuff gets buried under thousands of post in this forum when it would be so easy to make it accessible.

I proposed twice to Tigershark from BAS to host their old site and addons so as people can download their ressources like before, but he never replied.

I don't really see a negative trend in the addons themselves right now, Its just most of the mission names that come out I hate though. They don't seem like worth downloading when i read the name.

Quote[/b] ]BAS, a very good example for what I mean. I can understand if they don't want to pay for addon hosting, and I can understand if they don't want to invest any more time. But come on: why did they have to give away the domain, if it would have cost them 3 bucks a month to keep it and put simple links to the forum topics where you can find their addons? It's just sad that so much good stuff gets buried under thousands of post in this forum when it would be so easy to make it accessible.

I proposed twice to Tigershark from BAS to host their old site and addons so as people can download their ressources like before, but he never replied.

you know thats not a bad idea. ill go ahead and try to reconstruct thier site as best i can from memory (using thier old color scheme and whatnot) and minus thier "progress bars" i MIGHT be able to re-create a resonable facsimile with links to ofp.info's downloads (direct linked) and will post a URL somewhere (ill ask a mod if A&M: C would be approprate)

since it will be BAS' site it wont have my trademark color schemes will be plan old boring tan tounge_o.gif but ill give it mybest shot.

if ANYONE has the BS site in thier catchs or even a screenshot of thier old site i would love it if u would PM me make my life a hell of alot easier crazy_o.gif

You can ask the good old Wayback Machine.

It has always been very good for those kind of situations

You can find the lost BAS website ballistic-studios.com at several dates (like this one by example)

and even when it was under concept-5.com

now how did i know you were gonna find that shit after i got done remaking my own design?  tounge_o.gif

can someone help me find a download link for JAM v2?

the wonderfuly reliable and completly compatent (sarcasum) ofpec seems to be down (anyone surprised rock.gif )

and i need the link

edit: goinback to my own design which is 67% finished. the BAS site is so FUBAR it aint funny. it would take me 4 hours just to repath, resave, rename all the pics (they save as html... when u right click and save they save as bmp) so the new BAS site will be just that... new

can someone help me find a download link for JAM v2?

the wonderfuly reliable and completly compatent (sarcasum) ofpec seems to be down (anyone surprised rock.gif )

and i need the link

BAS JAM2 mirror, courtesy of The FAQ. smile_o.gif

ahh there is a god! biggrin_o.gif

by the way avon, i added your banner to the BAS Reborn links section of that site smile_o.gif

The topic is "The most annoying thing about 99% of all addons. "

But for certain that figure is way off.I guestimate that more than 40% of the addons have a mother webpage

And it is 3 years later,so many did have nice pages at one time.I can't believe how many people aren't more respectfull for sites like Ofp.Info that have been there from the start and host so many addons (including mine)

And upset at people like "blackdog" for taking down his site.He helped me get going too and got many addons "out there".

If I were paying for the addons I would want a nice fancy webpage with a list.But hey for free,I can save them some time by helping myself.

I just wanted to thank blackdog, too. I don't know why everybody's upset, it wasn't his duty to host our pages. I'm very grateful because when I was searching for webspace I instantly got an offer from him, which I really appreciated. Later he took his server off, but I think he got a reason and I don't ask why because he didn't even have to host my page before, but he did.

Thanks also to ofp.info for your site and for hosting so many of us addon makers.

Oh, and this is WAY offtopic.gifsmile_o.gif

THEE MOST ANNOYING THING IN NINETY NINE PERCENT OF ADDONS IS THIS: NO MUD STAINS AND WEAR AND TEAR like mac and marfy do. They look like they're right off the assembly line all the time.