Sign in to follow this  
desantnik

RED ORCHESTRA

Hello, first let me introduce myself. Some of you might remember me as a long time Operation Flashpoint player. Even though I do not post often in these forums I have been here a long time. I first starting playing OpFlash at my friends request to join him, and I got hooked on realistic games after that. (Even joined a great group of guys known as the Dragon Knights for Flashpoint clanning a long time ago).

Which led me to my next step. After hearing about a realism focused modification called Red Orchestra on Unreal Tournament 2003, I proceded to buy that game and download the mod the second it was released. To make a long story short, over the development of the mod I joined the team and the team won the Make Something Unreal Comp (which netted us the Unreal Engine to produce our own game).

The team then formed the independant gaming studio Tripwire Interactive to move forward and now I felt I should return to the community that got me started on this path and show it to you. I figured that some of you guys would enjoy what we have to offer.

I give you Red Orchestra: Ostfront '41-'45. You can find our recently released trailer and several interviews linked on the front page as well as our media section here for all your screenshot needs.

Key Features

* Fight intense battles on 13 authentic Eastern Front combat environments

* Crew 14 fully realized vehicles with highly detailed exterior and interior models

* Choose from 28 authentic infantry weapons

* Full 32 player online Multiplayer Support

* Unique Setting – the only FPS to focus on the WWII Russian Front

* Engage enemy tanks at 800 metres and more with the Simulation-level armored vehicle combat

* Fight the full range of combined arms infantry and vehicle combat in detailed environments based on real-world data, from city-centre to deeply rural settings

* Realistic bullet and projectile ballistics will make you duck for cover

* Coordinate strategies with your team-mates via Voice Over IP

* Authentic Immersive Sound FX and 3d Positional Sound System

* 3d “Iron Sights†and unique 3d scope system

* True weapon deployment system including resting rifles on support

* Historically accurate artillery system

* Distance-based sound system dynamically creates the battle ambiance

* Advanced player movement system featuring diving over obstacles and leaning

* Custom 8 way animation system for highly realistic player animations

Now some things you might not pick up from the key features blurb is that the tank ballistics are on par with everything else taking armor, range, and angle of the hit into account, going so far as to have deflecting shots. There are so many neat features it is hard to list them all. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me here or in our forums.

And to end it I just want to say many of the Tripwire team is waiting for Armed Assault to hit the shelves. biggrin_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I just saw the trailer. Looks like an amazing game. thumbs-up.gif I always loved Red Orchestra so I think I'll give it a try.

Wow, amazing video. How big are the maps? And is therre some kind of command system, or do you totally really on the voice over IP?

Looks great, congratulations for your efforts but I'm not going to buy it.

Quote[/b] ]And to end it I just want to say many of the Tripwire team is waiting for Armed Assault to hit the shelves

I'd stilll like to see free addons though tounge2.gif

Red Orchestra: Ostfront thread merged into the existing Red Orchestra thread.

Damn that looks good.. I will have to buy this.. smile_o.gif

//EDIT:

I just noticed something, you talk about the Degtyarev DP/DT 1928 on this page http://www.redorchestragame.com/index.php?categoryid=10.

But I thought it was the DP-27 and not the DP-28? As far as I know the gun is known as the DP-27 in Russia.

The DT-28 was a version used in tanks. The DP-27 was the infantry light weapon, we have both.

They get a million dollars apparently smile_o.gif

Nope, the entire competition was worth a million dollars which included the prize of liscence of the UT24k engine and also other teams which won at certain points got money aswell so it worked out they won around 100,000-150,000 and the Engine (which is worth around 400,000 i thnk) so it's a bit misleading really.

And $150.000 is nothing when it comes to making a game. Ofcourse they wouldn't all be driving in Ferrari's and earning more then a small country does ever month, so that helps cut costs whistle.gif

I`m really excited about this release as well.

Almost 100% sure I will get it, the realism part and the iron sights looks very good.

And I need a WWII game since I haven`t played one in a long time  smile_o.gif

Has the AI been improved?

My friends and I would have a good session with just the lot of us and the AI were terrible. I really enjoyed the mod though. Great work. However, it seems to be primarily an AA-style game or like that of the old Team Fortress series.

I know UT doesn't offer much in flexibility as OFP does, but I can't stand anonymous online play. Playing with friends is so much more rewarding... unfortunately I don't have 32 friends  tounge2.gif  I'd like to see if the AI were a bit more than just pac-man style ghosts running around.

Will this hit store shelves in EU? I dont like Unreal games so i never got to try RO but seen and read great things about it, im not a very big fan of unreal powered games but this one sounds really good and original. A realistic WW2 shooter game based on the east front smile_o.gif .

Will this hit store shelves in EU?

As far as I know it won't. As if there actually was a point getting a steam game in a box. yay.gif

Well CS and Dod:S went retail about 2 months after their Steam Release so id wait and see.

Well CS and Dod:S went  retail about 2 months after their Steam Release so id wait and see.

Well, they were valve games and pretty high visibility releases but RO on the other hand is something made by a small dev and is'nt that well known.

The game will have a retail version.

They are just waiting from the publishers and stuff before they announce the dates for the various regions.

UPDATE : retail release is end of week in the US and in Europe in about 2-3 weeks.

Okay for you guys here is how to install it.

Once you have preloaded, right click on the game in the games menu and go to properties, then validate the game cache.

After doing that you will have another 19% to do.

Also if you cannot connect to servers because of version differences log out and log back in properly (not just exiting).

Oh dear, what did the Devs dom this isnt my Beloved Ro sad_o.gif *Sniff*

Ummmm, it's reeeealllly blurry.

As if you are in a dream ....

Ummmm, it's reeeealllly blurry.

As if you are in a dream ....

Type "bloom 0" in the console to disable the bloom, that's what causes it to be blurry. Alternatively, turn to DirectX instead of DirectX9c.

Guest Ti0n3r

I'm thinking about getting this game. I have a few questions that someone who already bought it might be able answer.

1 - Is the game good? Better than the UT04 mod?

2 - Does it feel like the old Red Orchestra mod for UT04 in terms of realism and gameplay?

Been playing it all week already. I like it. smile_o.gif

Gripes:

- Robotic walking animations

- Can't top off the magazines of rifles!

- Bugs here and there, nothing game-stopping though, haven't experienced a single crash yet.

- Very inaccurate German MGs

- Dropped weapons and ammo don't react to lighting and stick out like sore thumbs.

- Tank maps (nobody cooperates and Arad is butt-ugly)

- The font used and the messages in the form of ugly strips of paper seems amateurish, reminds me of a mod. Some areas simply need more polish to get rid of that mod feel.

- Level design isn't the best, some maps are just big walk-fests without any chokepoints.

- Bad AA support, sometimes it works for me and sometimes it just takes FPS without having any effect. I have to set it in the control panel.

At times the game can be really magical, like in a 32-player game on Basovka where we held the AT Gun position for the whole game as the Soviets. I was just madly running back and forth in the first trench, butt-smacking and spraying enemies to death with my PPD-40 while I could hardly see from being stunned by artillery and grenades. thumbs-up.gif

Or the time on Arad when I was in the attic of a house calling in artillery on German tanks, destroying a couple, until a German shell came out of nowhere and cut me in half. But it also killed a German who had snuck up behind me with his bayonet. biggrin_o.gif

Good times...I only wish I could play with some more organized teams.

I'm thinking about getting this game. I have a few questions that someone who already bought it might be able answer.

1 - Is the game good? Better than the UT04 mod?

2 - Does it feel like the old Red Orchestra mod for UT04 in terms of realism and gameplay?

1) Yes, it is better then the mod. We didn't just want to make a mod in a box and made many improvements if you'll take a devs word

2) It has the same feel with improvements as I said that overall make the game much better.