Sign in to follow this  
buggs

Ubisoft to Buy Codemasters...........

there really aren't too many game that Ubisoft produced that i actually liked. i didn't like Splinter Cell at all or Rainbow 6. i just couldn't stand how stupid and predictable the A.I. where.

don´t get why y´all are getting upset...

ít´s still bis making the game (you know, that games company we all learned to love) and i doubt that any publisher could spit into their soup

btw: i´m getting killed alot in ravenshield .. so the ai cannot be that bad  tounge_o.gif

the last two ubisoft titles i remember that i really liked are north&south(amiga) & v-rally (PS)- both excellent games  wink_o.gif

Microsoft would be a good bet. As Madus Maximus said, they can invest in whatever they want, and as a result the developers get the funding to really a put a shine on the games.

Activision aren't too bad, but they're sort of like mini-EA if you ask me. EA has FIFA and the other sports games, Activision has Tony Hawk and the extreme sports licenses.

EA have MoH

Activision have CoD

my opinion call of duty is better. though not much seperates them, and CoD had alot of adverts in the UK

Personally, I think the fact Ubisoft's purchase of Codemasters is not only one of the most fantastic helpful things for OpFlash2, but I think this will really boost OpFlash2 to a higher level of purchase from customers.

It's obvious Ubisoft has done one amazing job with Splinter Cell. I don't think there is one gamer who does'nt know what Splinter Cell is, or someone who has never heard of it.

Now that they with 300 more men and women from Codemasters, they are now even greater and stronger, meaning OFP2 is definately, without a doubt, getting more publicity than one would expect.

I'm sure the devs at BIStudio are very excited with this purcahase as well. OpFlashpoint 2 now has the biggest potential than any other game ever made. It has one of the best publishers available. And BIStudio must be feeling very fortunate, and will push them forward even more to make this game more outstanding than they planned.

This is not good, but fantastic news.

Quote[/b] ]And Ubi only looks at the money coming in and nothing else.

And you think Codemasters dosen't ? rock.gif

@ Aug. 08 2004,22:05)]

I guess they're just in it for the love. icon4.gif

@ Aug. 08 2004,22:05)]

I guess they're just in it for the love. icon4.gif

Love might keep you warm, but it does not fill your stomach tounge_o.gif

sad_o.gif

Has nobody else read the the old interview where UBI just about killed off OFP the first time? We wouldn't even be having this conversation if UBI had had the chance to completely skewer OFP up front.

OFP is very unique. There is nothing else out there that comes close. OFP is a military-grade tactical simulator that just happens to be available commercially. You can't just compare it to anything else. Not to say that it is the best FS or navy-sim or FPS or best graphics, no, it's the genre. Codemasters had the sense to let BIS run with their ideas, and this is where it got them.

My two bits: Ditch the xBox. pure console gamers will never willingly put up with the mindset of OFP, unless you gut the soul out of OFP. Cut your loses there, and use the experience gained to design tighter engine structures. If you do get stuck with Ubi from carry-over contracts, make sure that your open support of modding is garaunteed in the contract. Go dig through all the books about the corporate and social history of ID, and their publisher relationships.

http://www.finance.ubi.com/en

Quote[/b] ]Ubi Soft is listed since 1996 on Euronext Paris Stock Exchange and the capital is composed of 17,540,082 shares as of March 31, 2003.

UBIP.PA

Links to Ubi's annual reports and other stockholder information

For those who thinks that Codemasters are some kind of saints who don't care about the money what do you say about the Club Football games? They release a single game for each big club in europe. The game is quite bad but I guess Ajax fans will buy a Club Football - Ajax game.

And what should be said about games like Pop Idol and MTV music generator?

If UBI buys Codemasters doesnt BIS have the right to take their product to another publisher?

If UBI buys Codemasters doesnt BIS have the right to take their product to another publisher?

Likely.

But I am sure BIStudio will stick with Ubisoft.

And I hope they do.

I personally hope that this does not happen, as the continuing consolidation of the games industry brings with it fewer games each year, and everyone knows big companies don't take risks, so there will be fewer fresh ideas and even more sequels....

...Guillemot also mentioned acquisitions from other publishers such as Codemasters. The biggest third-party title Codemasters publishes at the moment, I believe, is Operation Flashpoint. This game is in direct competition to the already "Ubi Soft-owned" Red Storm game Ghost Recon. It will be interesting to see if Ubi Soft tries to get its hands on that game, and what it does with it if successful.

Well for one Ghost recon 2 (scheduled for release in november this year) is being built for xbox, pc and ps2, i have reasons to believe its development is based on the xbox and the game will be a multiplatform one, so there is a risk that just like most other multiplatform games it could turn out limited to what the xbox and consoles in general can deliver. Now being familiar with the GR series and its small tactical style with invisible walls and small maps the end result may still be satisfactory for both the PC croud has well has console users.

But not for OPF2... it would never work, my hopes being it would be treated the same way has Far Cry.

All that considering Ubi actually buys Codies...

UBIsoft will RUIN ofp.

Just like all their other shit games.

UBI panders to the idiot masses.

Say goodbye to OFP if it's true.

UBIsoft will RUIN ofp.

Just like all their other shit games.

UBI panders to the idiot masses.

Say goodbye to OFP if it's true.

Where the hell do you get this impression?

How can a publisher ruin a game the developers made, when Ubisoft is one of the best publishers in the buisness?

Far Cry = Amazing publishing

Rainbow Six = Amazing publishing

Splinter Cell = Amazing publishing

Prince of Persia = Amazing publishing

Ghost Recon = Good publishing

Brothers in Arms = Soon to be another great accomplishment.

With all the war game expierence Ubisoft has had, and all the amazing success they had,do you really think they could screw up Operation Flashpooint 2. Of all games?

Wrong.

SpecOp9 they can make OFP2 as crappy arcadish as all those games u listed. wink_o.gif

SpecOp9 they can make OFP2 as crappy arcadish as all those games u listed.  wink_o.gif

NO, the DEVELOPERS can, but the PUBLISHERS CANNOT.

The publishers PUBLISH the game, not CREATE it.

Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, and Rainbow Six are definately nowhere near arcade games.

SpecOp9 they can make OFP2 as crappy arcadish as all those games u listed.  wink_o.gif

Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, and Rainbow Six are definately nowhere near arcade games.

one word: "deadline" sad_o.gif

however, it seems that everything Ubisoft touches these day's turns into gold, let's hope... just... hope....

A dark, dark day indeed.

After the royal screwjob Ubisoft have given some of my favourite game series lately (Warlords 4, Raven Shield) , I shudder to think what they may do to OFP2.

From what I hear, they are notorious at demanding unrealistic release times from developers and would rather have a half-finished product hit the shelves on week X than wait for a finished product to be released on week Y. I believe that 's what happened with Warlords 4 and Steve Fawkner's development team.

Maybe we should start up a donation fund to stop Ubi from getting it's claws into OFP2... sad_o.gif

(Note: all of these are personal views, and do not represent BIS, codemasters or anyone else wink_o.gif )

SpecOp9 they can make OFP2 as crappy arcadish as all those games u listed. wink_o.gif

In your opinion maybe... they are pretty arcadish in some respects. Especially splinter cell.

Far Cry = Nice editor, FPS-style gameplay = moderately shitty.

Rainbow Six = Shit.

Splinter Cell = Shit.

Prince of Persia = Mainstream gamer fodder.

Ghost Recon = Shit.

Brothers in Arms = Safe to say... Shit.

Ghost recon and and Rainbow 6: raven shield are the same shit. It's been the same crap re-hashed over the past few years because that's what the moron masses want.

You take a publisher that makes money off of mass market demographics who enjoy crap like that and you acquire a unique game like ofp... what would you do?

You'd try to appeal to a more broad audience, adulterating everything that made the game good in the first place.

Qouite from PC Gamer concerning Ghost Recon 2...

"...There is no diffrence between what makes a game "good for PC" or "good for consoles." Succesful titles jump across [all] platforms all the time, and the elements that make a game successful are the same no matter which platform it ends up on."

"So why is Ubisoft laboring under the delusion that GR2 well be more succesful if only they can somehow "console-zie" it?"

"Don't get me wrong: GR2 doesn't look bad or even mediocre. It looks like, well, a souped-up SOCOM."

"So can it even really be called a sequal to our Game of the Year (PC Gamer)? It seems more like a new franchise to me."

-Dan Morris

I fear this well happen once OFP XBOX is releas under UBI, and then when comes OFP2...its not going to be like any thing we rememberd and loved sad_o.gif .

Chill out. There are plenty of examples of Ubi games that have been multiformat, but specifically designed for each format.

Far Cry for example, will be very different on console as compared to PC.

Rainbow Six 3, totally different on console as compared to PC.

Current Ghost Recons, very different on console as compared to PC.

There is no indication that the same wouldnt be true for OFP2, IF Ubi acquires it.

Far Cry = Nice editor, FPS-style gameplay = moderately shitty.

Rainbow Six = Shit.

Splinter Cell = Shit.

Prince of Persia = Mainstream gamer fodder.

Ghost Recon = Shit.

Brothers in Arms = Safe to say... Shit.

Ghost recon and and Rainbow 6: raven shield are the same shit. It's been the same crap re-hashed over the past few years because that's what the moron masses want.

Thats not very rational, its the same atitude taken by those who diss OPF out of pure ignorance.

Far Cry is a monster shooter but with a ground breaking graphics engine, i have no interest in the game but i recognise its value and advanced technology.

Rainbow Six i skipped because of all the complaints about "bugs" and poor performance.

Splinter Cell is the #1 3rd person stealth action game with fantastic lighting and shadow efects and awsome graphics, sound, gameplay features, level design, etc. A pure gem.

Prince of persia is a fantastic adventure/platform game with very nice graphics, great music and beautyfull scenarios and levels, very good fun and a very polished game, loved it.

Brothers in Arms is yet to be released, i think the concept is to make the first realistic WW2 FPS game, WW2 has been done to death, but there's yet to come a realistic WW2 FPS title.

Codemasters published almighty OPF+R and rock.gif ...

I also dont know why to classify the Ghost Recon and Raven Shield comunities has "moron masses", these are slow paced tactical squad games and many of its players take the games very seriously, i guess that if they wanted to please the so called masses they would publish mindless FPS blasters like MoH or CoD.

Despite the fact that some may not like them Ubi does publish some high quality games wink_o.gif .