Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

OFP2 - Rainbow Six

Down with R6! Tom Clancy should stick to his books.
Quote[/b] ]Silencer/supressor/bipod/sights/flashlight/camouflage etc.), then take 'em on and off in game

To keep with the realism, i don't know any scopes that just clip on. But of course every soldier has their issued screw driver in their back pocket. Then you have to sight it in crazy_o.gif .

In fact I hope OPF2 has nothing Tom Clancy like in it at all. I rate Ghost Recon 2 and flashpoint 10.

Just to disagree, I have to point out that the SUSAT (sight Unit Small Arms Trilux/ Common Weapon Sight / iron sights used by the british army can all be removed using only hands, and are designed to be removed and replaced when necessary, holding the zero.... pretty much. As long as its the same sight put on again, they are fairly good.

(The CWS is a night vision sight - its put on instead of the SUSAT at night.)

Also.

Every soldier has a combitool in their cleaning kit (which is then usually kept in a jacket pocket) which has screwdriver heads on it.

However I agree that ghost recon is not nearly as good as OFP, that Tom Clancy is overrated, etc.

Needs improvement, no doubt.

R6 can reload on the move, OFP can't (animation limitation).

R6 can peek around cover, OFP must fully expose self.

R6 has detailed interiors (I know, large scale....  can be handled with LOD/proximity) OFP doesn't, for the most part.

R6 has decent terrain following, ofp bounces unless just right.

Close quarters and sweeping/clearing is an issue for all objectives that have any amount of ground cover.  Since peripheral vision hasn't been made yet (there's an idea, in OFP2 have the edge of the screen blurry for a half inch, and compress the normal 'peripheral area' into it for a sense of surroundings, thank you DX9 gfx cards!) sweeping the view side to side as you progress is important, as well as quick, tight weapon control.

So to sum up, no tunnel vision, tight weapon control, peeking.. Much fewer words, I like.. (peek above cover would be nice too, but different thread) tounge_o.gif

If you want a CQC anti-terrorist game, see Tom Clancy; if you want a large scale war, play OFP. I rather not have one compromised to satisfy the other.

--Ben

Oh really?

Red Storm Rising

Debt of Honor

Executive Orders

The Bear and the Dragon

Teeth of the Tiger

All by Tom Clancy. Informed statements are the most valuable weaponry in the war of words.

Executive orders is a very nice book...

About Rainbow... I wonder how many of the players have actually read the book itself? It's a pretty nice book BTW.

In the original book...

Rainbow consist of men from...

-CIA

-Delta's

-SAS

-DSG-9, or whatever the German anti-terrorist unit is

-FBI

Now that's the ones I can remember... They're placed in Hereford, UK and they have their own chopper (Nighthawk). The operators use 10mm MP-5's in the book, snipers varie from basic 7.62's to Barrett...

I like the R6 III MP (with expansion pack), teams usually gets beaten up, I've seen T-hunt games with 5-8 men teams and playing round 60... That means the mission has failed 60 times...

Though OPF does have the outdoors combat, but indoors and object interact (doors)...

Rainbow Six is a great book. (but I love all Clancy books...)

I believe I have said this before somewhere, but two books that portrays conventional warfare in a convincing way and could provide storyline tips for OFP 2, are "Red Storm Rising" and "The Bear and the Dragon" (both Clancy books).

Up and until OFP came out, I were an total addict to Rogue Spear - have never looked back since... (RvS = disappointment deluxe - Let's see how Lockdown will turn out!)

I'm buying The Bear and The Dragon soon, 'cos I got Executive orders as a birthday present...

I've read 4 (Executive Orders is so big that it's 2 books) Clancy books. Rainbow Six (twice I think), The Hunt for the Red October (much better than the movie BTW) and Executive Orders part I and II (OK, it's the same book but the book is about 1200 pages (604+570)).

I think Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell aren't actually based on anything by Clancy, though the storyline suits Clancy's style well and might be made with his help. Or they are just selling the game with Clancy's name.

guns like the HK G11 would be silly as it won't be fielded by any armed forces, the project was scrapped over 10 years ago, it also depends one what army BIS are doing, if they are doing the US army the most obvious choices would be the M16A2 for the infantry, the M4A1 Sopmod for the SF,rangers and airbourne types smile_o.gif , things like the XM-8 (the XM-8 project is not looking good now after some serious failures in testing) and G11 most likey never to see full wide spread use.

keep it simple.

I'm buying The Bear and The Dragon soon, 'cos I got Executive orders as a birthday present...

I've read 4 (Executive Orders is so big that it's 2 books) Clancy books. Rainbow Six (twice I think), The Hunt for the Red October (much better than the movie BTW) and Executive Orders part I and II (OK, it's the same book but the book is about 1200 pages (604+570)).

I think Ghost Recon or Splinter Cell aren't actually based on anything by Clancy, though the storyline suits Clancy's style well and might be made with his help. Or they are just selling the game with Clancy's name.

I'm betting they just use his name. I've read quite a few of his books and my fav was Cardinal of the Kremlin. If bear and the dragon is the one about China starting a war, its my second fav.

Baron that's interesting about the sights and that. I'm glad people agree ghost recon sucked.

I've read quite a few of his books and my fav was Cardinal of the Kremlin.  If bear and the dragon is the one about China starting a war, its my second fav.

The Bear and the Dragon is the one where China goes to war against Russia.

Cardinal of the Kremlin is also a great book.

My non-war favorite out of the Clancy books is "Without Remorse" (well, there's a little bit of specop insertion in Vietnam, but not much...). If you want to know how John Kelly became the infamous John Clark (leader of Rainbow Six), be sure to read this book!

Down with R6! Tom Clancy should stick to his books.
Quote[/b] ]Silencer/supressor/bipod/sights/flashlight/camouflage etc.), then take 'em on and off in game

To keep with the realism, i don't know any scopes that just clip on. But of course every soldier has their issued screw driver in their back pocket. Then you have to sight it in crazy_o.gif .

In fact I hope OPF2 has nothing Tom Clancy like in it at all. I rate Ghost Recon 2 and flashpoint 10.

Just to disagree, I have to point out that the SUSAT (sight Unit Small Arms Trilux/ Common Weapon Sight / iron sights used by the british army can all be removed using only hands, and are designed to be removed and replaced when necessary, holding the zero.... pretty much. As long as its the same sight put on again, they are fairly good.

(The CWS is a night vision sight - its put on instead of the SUSAT at night.)

Also.

Every soldier has a combitool in their cleaning kit (which is then usually kept in a jacket pocket) which has screwdriver heads on it.

However I agree that ghost recon is not nearly as good as OFP, that Tom Clancy is overrated, etc.

When you mention Tom Clancy, do you mean the books or the games? I'm sure the only game Clancy has anything to do with is Rainbow Six, and I mean the original one. The newer only have the same team and the basic idea of some group/person who arranges many terrorist attacks that are preparation for something very big attack.

cqb is very much a part of the modern battlefield. this is due to the almost over whelming superiorty of the BIG armies. and because of this i'd like to see it in ofp2.

any way. much fighting takes palce from house to house. and the safest way to move house to house when clearing areas is in many cases to blow a hole in the wall and move through that. all while having some heavy firepower (a tank) covering the street in case anyone tries to run away that way.

whether we blow holes in wall or not, I'd definetly want house to house fighting in ofp2. and the AI to be able to adapt to it in respect to forming up, throwing in nades, clearing the room and moving on. also things like moving up stairwells and calling strikes against house/ targets.

experience would be important - green recruits would be as much as danger to each other as to the enenmy. but veterans would move like a well oiled team.

i still want the big open battles. but some intense cqb urban battles to secure a town would be awesome. complete with enemy snipers (and some allied ones two ;) )

OFP2 = Best modern shooters (both shoot-out and tacticals) mixed with OFP1 and pumped full of realism.

That's what most of us would like?

OFP2 = Best modern shooters (both shoot-out and tacticals) mixed with OFP1 and pumped full of realism.

That's what most of us would like?

Spot on

IMO americas army has perfected the technical side of weaponry, the M4A1's picatinny rails can be used to attach equipment in the pre mission screen, and some equipment can be removed/added during the mission itself.

AA also sports weapon malfunction and proper clearing and relaoding animations.

This should be considered standard in ALL coming milsim-games...

Sorry for slight OT here...

Downloaded AA v2 last Sunday, finished the whole training except the last, 2nd SF mission (which is helluva hard).

Well... Nice game. Though it took me time before I realized that I actually could use the ironsight in the Marksman test. Didn't need the ironsight to pass it though, my result went from 24 and few missed to 36 and none missed with sight, though.