Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Athens Olympics 2004

This thread is intended to serve a similar purpose as the recent Euro2004 thread. New, however, is some background information on Athens with suggestions for nights out, transport, etc.

It shall remain locked until a few hours before the Opening Ceremony - if you have suggestions or questions regarding the Athens background information, please PM me and I shall provide the information by putting it into this thread.

Enjoy the read! smile_o.gif

TRANSPORT

So you have just arrived in Athens and managed to get past the security, you now face getting into Athens. The easiest, and most painless method, is getting a cab. A cab is also the best method for getting around in Athens. The major drawback is the sleeziness of some drivers. Note the following:

- when taking a cab from/to the airport, the final fare is calculated as follows: Meter reading + 3€ (airport extra fee) + 0.30 cents per luggage item + 2€ per Toll station. Taking a cab to/from the area of Maroussi to the airport should be around 15-20 euros. Into the centre (assuming the Hilton Hotel to be the centre), it shouldn't be more than 35€

- at nights, the meter is running twice as fast (or charging twice the amount for the same time)

- Fasten your seatbelts!!!!! They all drive like mad!

There three other methods of getting into and around of Athens.

- From the airport you can get (at least) two bus lines, E92 and E93 (I think). One of them goes to 'Syntagma', which is the parliament building and one of the major centres in town, the other goes to Kifissia, in the North. Apparently, you can get tickets on board (this only applies to these two routes - for ALL other buses, you have to get tickets from the kiosks or metro stations). I recommend you don't take these. Traffic can be unpredictable, the air conditioning rarely works, and the fumes of the long ride through Athens could get to people with lung problems

- Metro: my favourite method of transportation. Line 3 goes for 8€ from the airport all the way into the centre. Its the fastest method of public transport. Be aware that Line 1 is completely different to lines 2 and 3. Line 1 is old and slow, but goes to more places. In town, make as much use of Lines 2 and 3 as possible. Tickets are 70 cents if you aint going to the airport. If you take Line 1, buy the 70cent ticket as that can get you onto the other lines as well. The reduced fair is for Greek students and seniors only.

- Suburban railway. I don't know much about this, as it only started today. It also goes from the airport into town, but it kind of goes around Athens (rather then going through the suburbs) and ends up at the main train station in Athens (Larissa Station), from which you can get Line 2 of the Metro to wherever you want to go.

- Tram: This doesn't go anywhere near the airport, however, it can be a comfortable alternative to a bus if you want to go from Syntagma to the Southern suburbs (Falyro and Glyfada). There are two lines, one going to "Kolymvitirio" and the other to "SEF". SEF goes to Falyro (Stadium of Peace and Friendship/Karaskaki Stadium), Kolymvitirio goes to Glyfada (forgot which venues are down there. Some great beaches in Glyfada too, though). Tickets are 70 cents and the journey takes about 45-60 minutes. It can crawl on and on for ages, but like I said, if it is not full, its a great alternative to buses.

- Buses in general: I try to avoid these as much as possible. You can get tickets from the kiosks ("Periptera") and the metro stations, they are only 45 cents each, BUT understanding where each of the hundreds of lines go is a bleeding nightmare. If you want to be adventourous and see the non-Olympic, non-touristy side of Athens, this is one way of doing it.

LOCATIONS

Note that this is referring to general places in Athens, and not the Olympic Venues. They should help you when you want to go for a ride, or when you fancy a night out.

KIFISSIA

A famous suburb in the north of Athens. Its the start of Line 1 of the Metro. A great pool place and some great bars around in the area, all the way up to Kefalari (follow the crowd, and you will end up there. You know you are there when you see TGI Friday's).

Expect prices of about 6-10€ per drink though, as this is fairly upperclass.

SYNTAGMA

One of the two major centres in Athens. It is the place of the Vouli (Parliament), the National Gardens are right next to it, and Hermou Street is very close too (just on the other side of the square, next to Mac Donalds).

HERMOU STREET

As I said above, it starts at Syntagma and goes all the way down to...well, it is very long, but only the pedestrian presinct is important, as that is where you can do your clothes shopping.

MONASTIRAKI

Walking down Hermou Street, turning left at the church, then the first to the right, then straight down past the restaurants (the left one, Thanassi, makes the best Souvlaki in town!!) will get you to Monastiraki which is an...interesting...place. Flea Market might be the closest description. Thats what the sign says anyhow. From Monastiraki, you can walk to the Acropolis (20 min. walk up the bloody hill, take a lot of water with you), see the ancient Agora (marketplace type thing), or go to Plaka and have a coffee (4.50 for a frappe. You can get it for 3 in Kifissia).

OMONIA

Try to avoid it as much as possible. Trust me.

GLYFADA

A bit like Kifissia, this is a trendy, upper-class going out type of place in the South of Athens. It features some great clubs and some great beaches. Lots of Americans around there. Some of the best clubs are around here. Ask the cab drivers if "Privilige" is still around.

Other locations worth noting:

- Village Centre, Maroussi. Lots of movies being played, a big Virgin store inside, a couple of bars. Cool place to hang out at. Make sure you go to the one in Maroussi. There is one in Pangrati, its well hidden, and even I get lost trying to get to the Pangrati one. Stick to the Maroussi one.

I also recommend you buy some maps, one showing Attiki (the name of the peninsula) and giving you a rough overview of Athens, and one of the centre (around Syntagma). I shall post one later on.

One more important thing!!! Don't bother cab drivers with street names - they are bound to not know them, as each street name is used in about 10 different suburbs/areas of Athens. You can use the names of the big streets (Leoforos Kifissias, Leof. Mesogeion, Paraliaki (also known as Poseidonas Avenue (Avenue = Leoforos, btw)), and you might get lucky with the big streets near Syntagma (Panepistimiou, Stadiou etc.), but in general it is recommended to stick to stuff such as Metro station names (make sure to mention the fact its a Metro station), square names (Kifissia square, for example), or telling them to go to some suburb to some well known location, and then guiding them in from there. Having said that, the cab drivers know where all the Olympic Venues are, and where most of the hotels are.

Further information to be posted:

1] Map of Attiki and perhaps the centre of Athens

2] Useful Greek phrases

For more suggestions, please PM me smile_o.gif

Greek Phrases that are bound to help you:

Hello - Gia sas/Kalispera/Chairete

Good bye - Gia sas

Thank you - Efcharisto

You're Welcome/Please - Parakalo

1 - ena

2 - dio

3 - tria

4 - tessera

5 - pente

6 - exi

7 - epta

8 - ochto

9 - enia

10 - deka

11 - edeka

12 - dodeka

13 - deka-tria

21 - ikosi-ena

31 - trianta-ena

42 - sarada-dio

55 - penida-pente

66 - exida-exi

77 - evdomida-epta

88 - ochdonta-ochto

99 - eneninda-enia

Take me to the Olympic Centre please? (talking to a cab driver) - Pame sto Olympiako Kentro, parakalo.

Two coffees please - Dio kafedes sas parakalo.

Oh I see - Malista

Escuse me, what's the way to [insertlpacenamehere] - Signomi, pos boro na pao sto [placename]

For more phrases, please PM me smile_o.gif

The Games have begun!!

Women's football

Greece - USA 0-3 sad_o.gif

Germany - China 8-0 wow_o.gif

Brasil - Australia 1-0

Sweden - Japan 0-1

Men's football

Tunisia - Australia 1-1

Argentina - Serbia 6-0

Greece - United Korea 2-2 mad_o.gif

Mali - Mexico 0-0

Let the Games continue!! smile_o.gif

Well what can I say,should be an extraordinary show,I am still feeling sorrow that I missed the opourtunity to attend it by a small mistfortune.

Either way Romania should proove as a worthy leader in gymnastics as it has during the last 30 years or so wink_o.gif

Wow the German women sure out a beating on China, that is very surprising indeed. Although the score of the Greece v US match was not a surprise at all.

I am hoping i can catch some events without knowing the outcome first since its going to be tape delayed here in the US as the games would be on about 3AM my time.

I'm waiting for the shooting events. (mainly trap, double trap, skeet, 50/25 meter pistols and 50m rifle prone and 3 pos.). i'll just watch as much possible, and then their will be the other events, I think i'll just watch mainstrean sports then. smile_o.gif

Ex-RoNiN why didnt you give us directions to your house? sad_o.gif We could have had a BIS forum party sad_o.gif ..... biggrin_o.gif j/k

Though I like the Winter games alot more, I think I will be watching Archery and Hand ball.

smile_o.gif

Ahh the olympics......When the worlds boring sports come out of the woodwork. biggrin_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Oh well, never mind.....I don't watch TV much anyway. So long as the olympics doesn't turn into front page news (Highly likely) I doubt I'll get much exposure.

I like watching the 100m final, takes up 11 seconds of your life and that's it, not a bad commitment once every 4 years smile_o.gif

ahh the olympics. Australia will dominate in the swimming. Thorpido. Good luck to all compeiters. And a extra special good luck to Australia smile_o.gif

I like watching the 100m final, takes up 11 seconds of your life and that's it, not a bad commitment once every 4 years smile_o.gif

11 FULL SECONDS?

Fuck this, i'm going outside!

Hang on, have they even had the opening ceremony yet wow_o.gif

I heard they are planning to flood the stadium as part of the opening display....apparently it was traditional in ancient Greece, but i say its just tempting fate tounge_o.gif

ahh the olympics. Australia will dominate in the swimming. Thorpido. Good luck to all compeiters. And a extra special good luck to Australia smile_o.gif

Yeh, you'll need it biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

Today's events: archery and football

http://www.athens2004.com/en/results/results?day=1

Iraq beat Portugal 4-2 wow_o.gifwow_o.gif

On a sidenote, has anyone seen any live events yet rock.gif Here in Germany, they showed the Germany match yesterday, and today they showed the Italy match (male), but nothing else. What about on other telly?

Had me confused for a second tounge_o.gif

Had me confused for a second  tounge_o.gif

Bloody colonials wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

http://www.athens2004.com/en/results/results?day=1

Iraq beat Portugal 4-2 wow_o.gifwow_o.gif

On a sidenote, has anyone seen any live events yet rock.gif Here in Germany, they showed the Germany match yesterday, and today they showed the Italy match (male), but nothing else. What about on other telly?

no. as I understand officially it begins on 14 of august or something. then there will be real coverage I think.

Shout out to the Iraqi's!

Good job!

Can't wait till the opening tomorrow to see the Iraqi team come in since god knows how long.

At least they can compete in the knowledge that they wont be dragged through hot coals if they dont win anything.