Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Canadians, I need your help!

Who the f... can drink 4 litres of milk before they get bad? I'll never understand the need for mega-double packs for consumables that only last a few days once opened. That is, as long as you don't have 10 kids to feed cereals to each morning - or the food is full of conservatives (the chemicals, not the political faction)!

wink_o.gif

Who the f... can drink 4 litres of milk before they get bad? I'll never understand the need for mega-double packs for consumables that only last a few days once opened. That is, as long as you don't have 10 kids to feed cereals to each morning - or the food is full of conservatives (the chemicals, not the political faction)!

wink_o.gif

The 4 litres are divided into 3 separately sealed bags that come all in one large plastic bag, so you're not opening 4 litres at once.

*edit* I think I remember as a kid in Russia, the cartons of milk were pyramid shaped. In Cuba, milk and drinkable yogurt still came in glass bottles.

I remember in high school, some 60 year old teacher was telling us how in the old days, he had the milk delivered to his house by horse, and I piped up "hey sir, so did I!" biggrin_o.gif.

PS: pouring Milk from bags sucks compared to a carton   smile_o.gif

Not much of a difference if you ask me. You just have to make sure not to cut a tiny hole or a large gaping hole.

Milk  

$3.99-$4.59 for a regular 4 litre bag, if you want some fancy "organic milk" nonsense, $7.99

Nonono.. Ecological milk is not nonsense.. I't conscience in a bottle. I always buy ecological milk. The difference in price is very little and I feel that I've done something good for the poor cows. Which about fills my needs for behaving ethically and gives me a carte blanche for doing unethical stuff the rest of the day. After all I'm a good human being since I obviously care about the poor cows and their living conditions  wink_o.gif

Hmm, this is interesting to me. How does this "organic" milk help cows?

Milk  

$3.99-$4.59 for a regular 4 litre bag, if you want some fancy "organic milk" nonsense, $7.99

Nonono.. Ecological milk is not nonsense.. I't conscience in a bottle. I always buy ecological milk. The difference in price is very little and I feel that I've done something good for the poor cows. Which about fills my needs for behaving ethically and gives me a carte blanche for doing unethical stuff the rest of the day. After all I'm a good human being since I obviously care about the poor cows and their living conditions  wink_o.gif

Hmm, this is interesting to me.  How does this "organic" milk help cows?

They live more freely, live a more natural life, don't eat grass that's been sprayed with chemicals ...

Montreal is full.  Vacancy rate is under 1 per cent.  Rents are sky rocketing.  Landlords can pick and choose who they rent to.  Living off island means at least a one hour drive each way in rush hour.  Mass transit off island can take up to an hour and a half each way.

Read this And this Look at this

PS: pouring Milk from bags sucks compared to a carton smile_o.gif

Not much of a difference if you ask me. You just have to make sure not to cut a tiny hole or a large gaping hole.

There is a lot of difference to me, you have to cut, you have to put the thing in a container, you have to clean the container, sometimes the bag will bend spilling too much at once, plus I think it causes more waste. tounge_o.gif In addition I find it more of a pain to store than less.

Milk

Nonono.. Ecological milk is not nonsense.. I't conscience in a bottle. I always buy ecological milk. The difference in price is very little and I feel that I've done something good for the poor cows. Which about fills my needs for behaving ethically and gives me a carte blanche for doing unethical stuff the rest of the day. After all I'm a good human being since I obviously care about the poor cows and their living conditions wink_o.gif

Hmm, this is interesting to me. How does this "organic" milk help cows?

They live more freely, live a more natural life, don't eat grass that's been sprayed with chemicals ...

I think they are not being fed cow parts as well... stuff like that.

Yeah, standard feed for cattle includes remains of other cattle that simply do not make the market for human/pet consumption.

Basically they feed cows to cows. Or at least used to, the big thing with mad cow (or the big change) is to disallow the usage of nerve and brain tissues from cows in cow feed.

PS: pouring Milk from bags sucks compared to a carton   smile_o.gif

There is a lot of difference to me, you have to cut, you have to put the thing in a container, you have to clean the container, sometimes the bag will bend spilling too much at once, plus I think it causes more waste.   tounge_o.gif   In addition I find it more of a pain to store than less.

Every try putting the bag in the container and THEN cut the bag?

I can make a photo step-by-step for ya biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

PS: pouring Milk from bags sucks compared to a carton smile_o.gif

There is a lot of difference to me, you have to cut, you have to put the thing in a container, you have to clean the container, sometimes the bag will bend spilling too much at once, plus I think it causes more waste. tounge_o.gif In addition I find it more of a pain to store than less.

Every try putting the bag in the container and THEN cut the bag?

I can make a photo step-by-step for ya biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif hah good one..

New question: Salary.

I need to get a grasp of salary levels.

A salary of 50 000 Canadian Dollars/year, would that be considered low income or mid income... or what?

One thing is calculating it into my own currency, but that doesnt really tell me how well a salary like that would work based on taxes and cost of living in Canada.

Yea, for poison biggrin_o.gif but how much is Kaviar smile_o.gif

Our price is $4.30 CDN per one of those ABBA KALLES tubes.

6.62 $ Canadian for a large tube of Kalles kaviar here, granted that was at Konsum (the most overpriced store where I live). But still quite expensive considering the factory is here in Sweden crazy_o.gif

New question: Salary.

I need to get a grasp of salary levels.

A salary of 50 000 Canadian Dollars/year, would that be considered low income or mid income... or what?

One thing is calculating it into my own currency, but that doesnt really tell me how well a salary like that would work based on taxes and cost of living in Canada.

50K is mid income, it's actually more than average. You can live quite nicely on 50K before income taxes.

Try looking at subsections of http://www.statcan.ca/english/Pgdb/

That's about 30k €'s. It's an entry level salary for an engineer in Sweden. It's above average, but not much. After taxes there is very little difference.

How are the income taxes in Canada?

Yes, for an Engineer an entry income with a lot of nice benefits and stability is about 45K.CDN, it is more if your job is less stable and has less benefits.

Income taxes are

16% on the first $32,183 of taxable income;

22% on the next $32,185 of taxable income;

26% on the next $40,280 of taxable income; and

29% of taxable income over $104,648.

basically that sums it up...

sorry I forgot Provincial

6.05% on the first $32,435 of taxable income, +

9.15% on the next $32,436, +

11.16% on the amount over $64,871

Edit: when you compare that to sweden's income tax, I'm sure we're looking at similar real income rates.

My bad. Actually 30k €/year (50k CND) is almost exactly the national average in Sweden [src]

For taxes we have 30% for about 5k-18k€ and an additional margin tax for everything above - it can total up to 55%.

wow, those income tax rates are great, sure beats them here in Aussie land.

Tim

YES our taxes are great, especially for above 100K incomes, and to think Albertan's still bitch, and most Canadians say they are taxed the most in the world... umm. biggrin_o.gif yea

Well to be honest you may get a little of Provincial taxes these days, but it's not much at all.

Let me revise that

Provincial for Ontario is an additional:

6.05% on the first $32,435 of taxable income, +

9.15% on the next $32,436, +

11.16% on the amount over $64,871