Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

DREAD Weapon System

I just came across a rather interesting article about a centrifugal weapon system. Check out these two links:

System Description, Video

Response to questions by the inventor

Why don't we just blow peoples heads up with our minds? rock.gif Honestly, unless the fricken Covenant Armada is going to be here in 2 years I dont see the use of this.

A bullet kills just as good as a giant particle laser beam, IMO.

If i read right it's supposed to be heatless, but I would think that firing a large number of projectiles at the rate mentioned would cause some friction and sustantial heat. Oh well, I'm no physics wiz and it's all classified anyway smile_o.gif.

Weapon working with battery... biggrin_o.gif

Yeah, the questioj is how many batteries? rock.gif

Pretty fucking scary if you ask me...

Looks like a nice weapon to murder ppl too, no sound, no muzzle flash, no gunpowder,...

So basically anyone can fire from anywhere without leaving any traces crazy_o.gif

And of course, any gun could've fired the lethal bullet. With normal guns it can be seen what gun shot what bullet but this won't be able anymore... Killing without leaving any traces? Sounds very spooky to me, especially in this world where nobody gives a fuck about anybody else's life.

Great, now we've developed a great now weapon to kill some more of our people! Hooray!

Hi all

An effective system esentialy going back to the slingshot and beefing it up a bit.

The same technology could be applied to tank gun turrets wow the increase in projectile speed of the larger diameter would make polystyrene a lethal projectile.

By the looks of it; it is esentialy a fly mower throwing marbles fed in to the centre probably.

Truly a simple but frighteningly effective sollution. As has been pointed out it is not an infantry rifle more like a medium support weapon. I can see a vertical centrafuge disk being a reasonable infantry weapon.

The battery requirements wont be that high modern methane fuel cells of the type going into wheel chairs or golf buggies would suit it fine.

If as I suspect it is a spinning disk you can probably charge the spining disk up to speed at base to store most of the energy. The major problem would be gysroscopic effects. [edit] Just read the inventors answers to questions scratch the huge spinning disc it aint one?[/edit]

If it is an electromagnetic system something like a rotaing field rail gun then the power costs mean it needs a decent size generator.

Kind Regards Walker

Lethal BB gun smile_o.gif

Yep, looks impressive. As for the power requirements: do you think all the operators in military machines (tanks, helicopters, etc) have little pedals they use to power everything?

WHOA!!

just think of the things that could do as AA ? it has FAR more chance of hitting anything that flies over, and with a larger ammo capacity (belt-fed?) and in large numbers that would be lethal....

but then those missles... tough question.

The weapon is BS, i don't know the knowledge of why but some people over at SA who know something about the tech involved discussed this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthr....umber=1

if you can read between the bs of other posters it gives a good insight in to the flaws of this weapon.

Sorry, but most of the posts I read there are by people who have not read the article. Lots of 'OMG HOW CAN I HAVE HO RECOIL' BS when that is explained perfectly simply in the article; because it's spinning, and the recoil is absorbed by the spin, put simply.

It's not a magnetic centrifuge.

There are definitely issues with this idea, but its not totally impossible. It might be a fake; it might be real. The same sort of thing was said when Maxim invented his weapon- it can't possibly work.

I sometimes really do miss the good ol' sword and bow times...

No fear of a laserguided 1000 pound bomb falling on your little toe and blowing everything to pieces...

I don't like the new way of fighting at all, at least back in the old days it was fair... Now all you need to do is push a button to win... Bah! I prefer man on man combat, ONLY THE STRONGEST SURVIVE! smile_o.gif

No really, i'd love to see our modern troops grabbing swords and stuff like that and fighting a war the old fashioned way... I'd really like to see who would win like that...

And of course, the chance that a lost arrow blows up a school full of innocent children IS pretty small, resulting in less civilian casualties!

Would be interesting to create a weapon like this using a stronger material like inobtanium (the indestructable material in "Core" (really bad movie)). You could accelerate the bullet to infinite speed so a weapon the size of a needle could destroy the whole earth tounge_o.gif