Sign in to follow this  
jens198

Official addons by bis

Hi guys,

this afternoon as I sat in the sun, I started thinking about OFP and the las three years. Really a good time. But I'm very puzzled about a few things: Why did BIS not release more official Addons? Looking at other games (Vietcong, MOHAA etc) seem to make easy cash by making a quick addon (four new levels + two new guns = € 19,99 please). I'm sure that BIS could've earned a lot of extra cash by releasing two more addons (at least I would've bought them)

Why are the original BIS vehicles/units etc of a much lower quality than todays 3rd party addons? Why did BIS not take advantage of the possibilities of the game by makeing advanced units/systems like the Command Engine or the CoC Arty units?

What other releases of OFP do exists (custom editions for military or police forces)? What happend to the VBS Project?

Jens

Why are the original BIS vehicles/units etc of a much lower quality than todays 3rd party addons?

Maybe because todays 3rd party addons are made today and the original BIS units were made many years ago? :P If you'll look at OFP 1.0, the features that make "advanced" things possible today are not supported.

What other releases of OFP do exists (custom editions for military or police forces)? What happend to the VBS Project?

VBS isn't available to the public, so nobody's really sure what's in it and nobody probably ever will. Unless, of course, you are in the Marines. wink_o.gif

Well, BIS did release the Camel plane addon (free of charge), not to mention Red Hammer and Resistance expansion packs...

1.30 included new weapons and vehicles - BRDM, Bradley, Steyr, Kozlice, G36, AH-64...

1.75 included the G3, FNFAL, Skorpion...

1.85 included Mini, Biclycle, Ingram, Glock SD...

wink_o.gif

The situation isn't quite as grim as you might think, but I agree, more official addons and releases would have been most welcome smile_o.gif

Don't forget about the WWI Sopwith Camel (Made by Aaron?), might not be the time era, but very fun none the less.

Don't forget about the WWI Sopwith Camel (Made by Aaron?), might not be the time era, but very fun none the less.

especilly with 1.96 and improved flight techniques of the ai.

the camel is made by aaron to show the aae principe (and to have fun.

I don't really mind BIS not releasing loads of addons. It's not like there aren't enough user made addons out there.

Yeah, it seems to me (though I'd never speak on their behalf) that the BIS team is probably more focused on doing all that  difficult coding for OFP2.  (because they just recently finished Xbox version, right?)

So yeah, they made a great military tactical combat simulation game and released their custom tools that allows the great community to make great addons that allows people to get really cool stuff for free when they have OFP!     smile_o.gif   And now they're doing that for OFP2.   wink_o.gif  

I think they have a good plan and support the community like no other developers I've seen.  

lol, I feel all nostalgic.  It's true though, it's a truly amazing, even life changing military tactical combat simulation game for many people that I've met across the world.  

Asmo

*Edit* (changed "game" to "military tactical combat simulation game" because it's more correct. wink_o.gif )

Why are the original BIS vehicles/units etc of a much lower quality than todays 3rd party addons? Why did BIS not take advantage of the possibilities of the game by makeing advanced units/systems like the Command Engine or the CoC Arty units?

not only what other people have mentioned, but 3rd party addon makers have the luxury of not having to worry about minimum system requirements when making those awesome addons..

if you're putting something out with no concern about profits, you can easily just say "only for those with top of the line Pc's" when releasing a script/addon.  biggrin_o.gif

It all comes down to the money. First, even though wages are low in the Chech republic compared to other countries, having a guy work 8 hours a day still costs alot of money. Second, making addons or missions is a very time consuming process, look at how long free-addon makers take to release their stuff. Third, even though most OFP-fans will buy the addon-packages, the addon-pack will no longer appeal the larger audience who are currently used to games with a far-better visual/ audio quality. The package won't sell enough.

BIS won't invest in packages for an outdated game while working on OFP2 and OFP for the Xbox which will be much more profitable.

Just my 2 cents,

Zendjir

Well, BIS did release the Camel plane addon (free of charge), not to mention Red Hammer and Resistance expansion packs...

Red Hammer was released by Codemasters and has nothing to do with BIS at all (other than the fact it runs on BIS' game).

Err, I stand corrected...actually, I was getting confused because Red Hammer shipped with the 1.30 "Gold Upgrade" (my copy did anyway). It was BIS's patch that actually included the new vehicles and weapons (available seperately from Red Hammer), rather than Codemaster's exapnsion...

Well, I don't want to be missunderstood. I wasn't complaining about BIS for not releasing more addons, I was just wondering.

Anyway, have you read the thread about the release of VBS today in the news-forum?

Jens

Red Hammer was released by Codemasters and has nothing to do with BIS at all (other than the fact it runs on BIS' game).

aha, i didn't know that. so now i know why this campaign is such boring smile_o.gif

VBS isn't available to the public, so nobody's really sure what's in it and nobody probably ever will. Unless, of course, you are in the Marines.  wink_o.gif

It is now... at a pricey pricey price.

But jens198, seeing as your a european OFP addict since 2001, you should probably remember that some pre-resistance units weren't packaged with the original game.

Namely, the Frogfoot, Vulcan, Humvee, Apache, BMP-2, BDRM, Bradely, Kiowa, Chinook as well as the Trabant, not to mention some weapons and the flag pack.

Here's the page where you could download the units without one of the 'ultimate upgrade' packs. http://www.flashpoint1985.com/download/units.html

I was thinking about additional official OFP addons today as well.

Hmmm......What jogged my memory. Oh yes! wow_o.gif The back of the GOTY manual.

Though unlikely to happen, it would be a very welcome suprise. The final hurrah for OFP1 perhaps?

Quote[/b] ]aha, i didn't know that. so now i know why this campaign is such boring

It was very interesting campaign for me. and it wasnt as usual as U.S. vs. CCCP. Also it used very nice all official addons by BIS tounge_o.gif

Well, the thing that would probably sell the most for an addon pack, must be the animals from VBS1, if BIS converted the animals over to OFP 1.96 i think lots of people would've bought it!

Atleast I when I get a new pc.. crazy_o.gif

But jens198, seeing as your a european OFP addict since 2001, you should probably remember that some pre-resistance units weren't packaged with the original game.

Namely, the Frogfoot, Vulcan, Humvee, Apache, BMP-2, BDRM, Bradely, Kiowa, Chinook as well as the Trabant, not to mention some weapons and the flag pack.

Yes, you're right. But I was wondering, why they didn't tried to make more cash out of it. All these addons were for free except Resistance and Red Hammer (which I learned now, wasn't made by BIS).

But as I stated above, I'm not complaining about BIS.

Jens

Yes, you're right. But I was wondering, why they didn't tried to make more cash out of it. All these addons were for free except Resistance and Red Hammer (which I learned now, wasn't made by BIS).

Red Hammer is a Codemaster campaign, not an addon pack.  The addons included came from BIS, not CM.  If you didn't want to buy Red Hammer + Ultimate Upgrade 3, you still could of got the new units in the Ultimate Upgrade 3 patch for free from BIS.

i would just like to thank BIS for making the game mod friendly and that the community was able to put out some very impressive work. as long as they did that, they did'nt need to release anything. so, i think that they made the right decision not to waste time on addons, when they needed to concentrate on the sequel for OPF. the community took over and that was the best thing that happened to the game. smile_o.gif

i would just like to thank BIS for making the game mod friendly and that the community was able to put out some very impressive work. as long as they did that, they did'nt need to release anything. so, i think that they made the right decision not to waste time on addons, when they needed to concentrate on the sequel for OPF. the community took over and that was the best thing that happened to the game. smile_o.gif

I'll second that.

sometimes I regret that BIS didn't release more state-of-the-art SP or MP missions (like the "Frozen throne"-thingie releasing new "maps" all the time) - it certainly would have pleased the publisher because it keeps the interest going for the majority of players that are not into the modding community

but on the other hand I think we need to be thankful that BIS went out of their way to keep OFP playable up to the present (with various patches accomodating modding developments such as larger maps and addon folders etc.). some of the NFS games released around the same period are nearly unplayable nowadays (and in any case unsupported by the makers)