Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Canada goes after u.s. frozen pizza

From http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120186,00.html

Quote[/b] ]Canada Goes After U.S. Frozen Pizza

Monday, May 17, 2004

OTTAWA, Ontario — Over the past few years Canada (search) and the United States have argued about bilateral trade in such high-profile commodities as wheat, softwood lumber, cattle and hogs. Now it's frozen self-rising pizza.

Ottawa said on Monday it would slap provisional anti-dumping duties of 39.4 percent on imports of frozen self-rising pizzas made in, or exported from, the United States.

The duties -- imposed after a complaint by private Canadian firm McCain Foods -- will affect pizzas such as the "Delissio" brand made by U.S. food giant Kraft.

Canada's Border Services Agency, which imposed the temporary measure, said in a statement it would decide on Aug. 16 this year whether to make the penalty permanent.

Countries apply anti-dumping duties when they deem that goods are being sold at less than the selling prices in the exporter's domestic market or at unprofitable prices.

I wish they would dump some at my house! biggrin_o.gif

From a recent Simpson's episode

Quote[/b] ]

US Coastguard to Canadian: "You puck slapping, maple suckers!"

The Canadian responds: "You William Shatner stealing, Mexico touchers!"

Quote[/b] ]

I live near Niagara Falls so I wouldnt be surprised if stuff like this happens. biggrin_o.gif

The duties are imposed based on a claim that the pizzas are sold below cost. (anotherwors for less than it costs to make them, making the stronger company kill many smaller weaker ones) It's a good idea to impose the duties if things are indeed flooding a market at below cost. smile_o.gif

yea me to, those and Tombstone's and Digiorno's are expensive. sad_o.gif

$5 pizza's at my local Randall's (Tom Thumb associates). Got a cheese and put toppings on my self (basil, tomato, garlic). Was damn tasty and cheap as hell. Run to Randall's man!

Gotta be one near you Tex, unless HEB already chased them away...

Frozen pizza (one person portion) costs about 3 € here =~ $4.

Do you mean like a personal pizza? The one at Randall's was about 13". Was a good size. Enough for my wife and I and had left over for lunch...

Do you mean like a personal pizza? The one at Randall's was about 13". Was a good size. Enough for my wife and I and had left over for lunch...

Yepp 290 g. Perhaps 15 cm across or something like that.

The bigger ones cost something like 5-6 € which is what the average price for a real pizza (from a pizzeria) is too.

You kidding Akira? Midland is like the suburbs, only without a vibrant urban center to leech off of. Randall's was never out here, and the only grocery store HEB chased off was Albertson's tounge_o.gif . But things are looking up- I'm going to be living in Georgetown come fall (attending Southwestern), so I'll be spending time in a part of Texas that doesn't suck.

You people realize that this is all part of Canada's plan for world domination...it's just getting started with the pizza takeover.

We already own beer.

I just see the furture.

America going to war becuase of Frozen Pizza crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

Now that would be a world f***** up. tounge_o.gif

Anyway. Microwave pizzas are best. smile_o.gif

I've eaten frozen pizza (cooked in the microwave) most nights for the last 7 or years, I'm quite fond of it smile_o.gif

P-617443-f.gif Deep pan meat feast 428G

P-617893-f.gifThin & crispy - chicken 360GR

P-438206-f.gifThin & crispy - pepperoni 360G

P-438196-f.gifThin & crispy - cheese and tomato 350G

P-650150-f.gifThin & crispy - ham and pineapple 370GR

Some of the ASDA range......

Å1.06 ($1.87US / €1.56) each or 3 for Å3 ($5.30US / €4.40) smile_o.gif

Jez, why don't you just make them yourself? The dough's done in about 3 minutes (flour, water, yeast, salt and - if ya want - spices), the topping takes another 2 minutes - and it beats any frozen pizza (never found one that didn't need improving anyways)! Oh, and it's cheaper, too.

Is canada's dollar the same like the American dollar (linked?),or does the Canadian dollar stand stronger than the U.S one?

The U.S dollar is very weak ATM ,and it makes imports very cheap for strong outside currency's like the Euro ,however also give those company's that sell their products in cheap valuta more concurating power ,and then you get things like import rights.

Just checking out computer prices from hardware bought in the states by an european ,i'ts almost unbelievable how much those computer prices of US producers have plummeted ,partly due to overproduction ,but mostly due to a lagging US economy.It makes me wanna buy quality products from America.

Ok. This thread is making me hungrey even thought i just had dinner.

@Placebo-

Quote[/b] ]I've eaten frozen pizza (cooked in the microwave) most nights for the last 7 or years, I'm quite fond of it

wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  Ohh my god. 7 years if Micorave pizza. That cant be healthy  rock.gif   tounge_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

*edit* On the lines of Pizza. Do you guys have Pizza puffs or Pizza Pockets of there in other country besides Australia rock.gif

I've eaten frozen pizza (cooked in the microwave) most nights for the last 7 or years, I'm quite fond of it smile_o.gif

[ig]http://graphics.asda.com/PRODUCT/43/74/P-617443-f.gif[/img] Deep pan meat feast 428G

[ig]http://graphics.asda.com/PRODUCT/93/78/P-617893-f.gif[/img]Thin & crispy - chicken 360GR

[ig]http://graphics.asda.com/PRODUCT/06/82/P-438206-f.gif[/img]Thin & crispy - pepperoni 360G

[ig]http://graphics.asda.com/PRODUCT/96/81/P-438196-f.gif[/img]Thin & crispy - cheese and tomato 350G

[ig]http://graphics.asda.com/PRODUCT/50/01/P-650150-f.gif[/img]Thin & crispy - ham and pineapple 370GR

Some of the ASDA range......

Å1.06 ($1.87US / €1.56) each or 3 for Å3 ($5.30US / €4.40) smile_o.gif

Why does the word "NERD" come to mind wink_o.gif Oh well i do too eat microwave pizza's from time to time though i tend to pop them in the oven which tastes nicer. Its quick and convenient. Some times i just CBA to waste time making something complicated. Though 7 nights a week might be a bit much smile_o.gif You could eat out twice a week, like at McDonalds biggrin_o.gif

Hmm, always a classic microwave pizza, Saarioinen kinkku(ham)pizza.

D285DD18AE714D80BB61911695449E6F.jpg

I would buy the Duke's brand but they cancelled it for some reason, that was a nice one.

Is canada's dollar the same like the American dollar (linked?),or does the Canadian dollar stand stronger than the U.S one?

The U.S dollar is very weak ATM ,and it makes imports very cheap for strong outside currency's like the Euro ,however also give those company's that sell their products in cheap valuta more concurating power ,and then you get things like import rights.

Just checking out computer prices from hardware bought in the states by an european ,i'ts almost unbelievable how much those computer prices of US producers have plummeted ,partly due to overproduction ,but mostly due to a lagging US economy.It makes me wanna buy quality products from America.

CDN dollar is worth 71% of US dollar. They got it low again after adjusting intrest rates.

@ May 18 2004,05:13)]You kidding Akira? Midland is like the suburbs, only without a vibrant urban center to leech off of. Randall's was never out here, and the only grocery store HEB chased off was Albertson's tounge_o.gif . But things are looking up- I'm going to be living in Georgetown come fall (attending Southwestern), so I'll be spending time in a part of Texas that doesn't suck.

No shit? My wife graduated from Southwestern. You'll be about 15 minutes from where I live as well. We'll have to hook up some time.

Kraft's Delissio frozen pizza is $6.99/533-953 g in Canada this week.

Check out this review for McCain's frozen pizza:

Deep fried cardboard covered with window caulking and grease. I'd sooner eat a rat.  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I live near Niagara Falls so I wouldnt be surprised if stuff like this happens. biggrin_o.gif

Really? I live in St. Catharines, where abouts are you?

When I lived on residence at Nipissing University, I ate the McCain frozen pizzas on a regular basis, when they weren't stolen by my drunken roomates that is. crazy_o.gif

$8 for two dinners, you can't beat that.

Tyler