Sign in to follow this  
cbfasi

North devon terrain

Some time ago I started an island back in the days when wrpedit was our only island editor.

It was never completed, especially as I took on the Falklands Islands aswell.

Anyway..

I am hoping to resurrect this terrain but really want to know if its worth it.

The primary feature of the map is a large military airfield based on an actaul RAF base from the mid 80's, the catch is that under the new 'standards' 512 textures would be expected for the ground cover and for the airfield there would be 400-500 purpose built ground textures number, meaning a texture file for just this of over 70mb.

I have already done a number of buildings for this map, including two types of hangers, with fully working sliding doors (using the same principle as seen on my Falkland Carriers).

The island is a chunk of English coastline with a Military aribase at is centre, the airbase was built in 1939, so is suitable even for WW2 (in fact its hangers are from WW2!!!)

Is an island of this type worth doing with its 'large' size??

For pictures please visit my website and the gallery

http://www.ironfoot.co.uk/~cbfasi/

In simple terms if people are willing to download a 'island' at this size then I will get back onto it, but otherwise it will be worked on at a much more leisurely pace and may not leave my hd.

i remember this from the old Falklands forum, yes indeed i would download this.

I thought I would put a couple of pics of the larger of the 2 hanger types seen on location on a test terrain I have.

(all images under 100kb!!)

Doors Opening

OFP00339.jpg

Thats big!!!

OFP00341.jpg

Spot the internal Detail

OFP00346.jpg

Im glad to see that this project is back It always looked great when I saw the pics on OFPEC. I hope you will finish it. Once i get rid of my 56k(Early this Summer) then I will download it. Looks great though man.

I was very impressed by the early beta you sent me many moons ago, I say go for it! smile_o.gif

I remenber this island and i thought it would be grand smile_o.gif

Should continue making it. Something to use UKF infantry when they come out. biggrin_o.gif

Ok, looks like theres enough interest so far.

Glad to see some remember my old posts about this.

What I am thinking of doing is doing a staged release of the buildings and associated texture pack, then eventually releasing the map itself.

In this pack will also be other buildings that will not be used on the map but I have built (such as a WW2 Fighter Dispersal Pen Type B FCW4513 and a large hanger based on a Type E Airplane storage shed).

70 meg or not, from what i've seen so far, I'll be downloading it!!!

70Mb is the smallest its likely to be, suspect over 100mb when you add all the buildings.

I estimate that around 90% of the buildings on the map will haev to be new as there are so few that are similiar to those in the area my map is based on.

70Mb is the smallest its likely to be, suspect over 100mb when you add all the buildings.

You forget you're talking to the person who's downloaded God knows how many beta's of Tonal (on 56k) wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

Either way mate, I think that this would definately be a project well worth completing, since its something that hasn't really been done "properly" yet.

Anyho, I'd love to see a bit of the UK in game, all them Finn's have a chunk of their country (ok, it might not be realistic, but none the less tounge_o.gif ) so why not us Brits? biggrin_o.gif

I am going to need a little help...

What the height of an RAF Crash Tender?, I got the building horizontal dimensions but no idea of its height!!!

I may also need further help as I get along as theres much I dont know about the inside of an RAF camp.

Try sending a PM or an Email to Jinef, from what I remember he is a chopper pilot with the RAF.

Would be great seeing a part of the UK in OFP, you just have to make a teapot to go with this island wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

once this is done will anybody be able to use the buildings?

I'm really looking forward to this biggrin_o.gif

Yes, anyone will be able to use the buildings, as long as I get a mention.

Erm... this baby is goign to a little bigger than expected...

The arifield area alone will comprise of about 720 textures,

at 171kb each thats quite a lot.....

meaning that without any other textures its going to hit about 125mb......

My latest estimate puts this project after other features around 200mb..

Bad news...

I just foudn out theres a 512 different textures limit to OFP maps, its not going to look as good as hoped..

Arrgh bad news about the 512 limit but anyway it still wil be looking good when finnished wink_o.gif

Looking forward to it great job m8.

this isn't the best solution but you could make some 50x50 meter objects that would work for textures. just place them on a normal texture and it would look like its a different one. It would probably only look good in the airport though.

What I was hopind to do was with the whole camp have full ground textures with paths, pavements and roads.

Now what I will be doing..

Using ground textures to place the large carparks, the taxiway, and main runways..

Oh yes thought I better let all know...

AI will NOT be able to land... its an east-west runway and I not changing that for ANYONE....

Heres a shot taken on the old North Devon map I had, you can make out the planes at the end of the taxiway, and a few houses, and a Tornado lifting off (I think!!!).

Yes I have altered the images brightness and contrast, just to help you see it.

OFP00029.jpg

For those wonderign just what that is on the right, its an attempt at doign a 1 tonner, model by nxzshadows, modifed then textured (and o2'ed) by me, not good enough for release.