Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Gta san andreas

I like the free-form environment of Boiling Point better, I think. The difference is that Boiling Point has a little bit more of an RPG feature going than GTA (even though GTA has a pretty hefty RPG portion too). I like in Boiling Point that I can drive to a small town and get a mission to do something and can avoid the entire storyline if I want to - in GTA you HAVE to follow the storyline. Which kind of sucks.

Exactly the same reasons why I like Boiling Point more than all these so-called freedom games like GTA:SA, Driver, True Crime etc

It reminds me a little of OFP in that aspect and the guns and ofcourse for being a true first person game.

Where do these supposedly hi-res textures come into the pc version of GTA:SA?

So far I've only seen low-res sub-par textures  icon_rolleyes.gif

I guess these playstation developers are living in a different world where anything above 480 tv-lines are considered hi-res.

I got GTA as well, I've been stuck at the "lowride" bounce mission for a few days, so just been driving around doing taxi and vigilanti missions, as well as finding all 100 spray paint tags.

The first competition? I didn't think it was hard at all. Just do what the arrows tell you to do.

The hardest thing about the GTA series, to me, is the weird camera angles when driving. I just wish I could do it in first person or a fixed-point 3rd person. I don't like that it moves all over the place all the time, though that might be useful on a console controller.

I would like to hear more about the game boiling point. smile_o.gif

Think of it as the way all these GTA-type games should have been. Mix some Deus Ex-kind of RPG into it. Move it down to South America, put Arnold Vosloo's face and voice to the player character (bad guy in 24 season 4). Stick with first person view (3rd view is optional while in cars, boats, planes, helos). Add 5 (6) factions. Take job from these factions while balancing your relationship with them. Enemies only shoot at you while allies and neutrals give you assignments to earn money and all the jobs are against other factions. Some pay and reward you better than others. Improve all your skills but don't forget to eat and sleep before going on a mission if you want to be all you can be. Pick up weapons, ammo etc and trade them at arms-dealers.

A great game that does'nt run on tracks like all the others. Full freedom over the whole landscape the moment you start the game.

Take pills, stay on your toes longer but become an addict  tounge2.gif

Have some Tequila and become an alchohol addict tounge2.gif

Don't know why but I think it reminds me of OFP somewhat on how it plays. Not quite sure why.

Highly recomended.  smile_o.gif

edit: Game is bugged big-time but the mission-interfering bugs was squashed in 1.1. If you can live with that then buy it. I've played it for about 30-40 hours and are somewhere between 20 and 25% on my way. I've heard people playing it for 100+ hours and being around 60% done with the game. Lots of lastability in this game.

Um.. unless you're unusually tolerant of bugs, hold off on Boiling Point for right now. There are lots of little bugs, but none of them ruin BP for me yet, but it's very possible that it'll ruin it for you. Wait till another patch or two is available. It's honestly a great game with deep gameplay under a layer of mildly annoying and quirky bugs - if you can look past the rough condition you'll have a great time.

Think of it as the way all these GTA-type games should have been. Mix some Deus Ex-kind of RPG into it. Move it down to South America, put Arnold Vosloo's face and voice to the player character (bad guy in 24 season 4). Stick with first person view (3rd view is optional while in cars, boats, planes, helos). Add 5 (6) factions. Take job from these factions while balancing your relationship with them. Enemies only shoot at you while allies and neutrals give you assignments to earn money and all the jobs are against other factions. Some pay and reward you better than others. Improve all your skills but don't forget to eat and sleep before going on a mission if you want to be all you can be. Pick up weapons, ammo etc and trade them at arms-dealers.

A great game that does'nt run on tracks like all the others. Full freedom over the whole landscape the moment you start the game.

Take pills, stay on your toes longer but become an addict  tounge2.gif

Have some Tequila and become an alchohol addict tounge2.gif

Don't know why but I think it reminds me of OFP somewhat on how it plays. Not quite sure why.

Highly recomended.  smile_o.gif

Sounds like the kind of game i could enjoy! There seems to be no demo out for it. But this is definitely something that deserves closer inspection once my computer is back from the repair service.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen - does sound better already than GTA.  I'll have to get it stateside next month - cheaper, more bug free by then I hope  biggrin_o.gif .

Speaking of free-roam, did anyone here have the courage and/or the sense of humor to play "Postal 2"?

I've heard rumors about a demo, but it'd be a tricky thing to make.

Go here for the best Boiling Point site I've seen.

Speaking of free-roam, did anyone here have the courage and/or the sense of humor to play "Postal 2"?

Ofcourse. biggrin_o.gif

I usually play some Postal 2 Apacolypse Weekend when I have nothing better to do.

Funny shit rofl.gif

(Am I allowed to say that here?) whistle.gif

But it can be a little too repetitive. But thats where OFP come in... the game that has so far stayed the longest time on my H-D (don't worry, its still there and still very much in use today) wink_o.gif

I must say that I'm very grateful for OFP - kept me occupied in the Mission Editor for hours over the past 4 years when another game just won't do. If it weren't for OFP I'd still be playing Microsoft Train Simulator (if I hadn't lost the disks).

Postal 2 is funny s*** isn't it - the expelling of bodily fluids over a foe is a most gratifying touch tounge2.gif . I may reinstall it later, come to think of it...

So far I've only seen low-res sub-par textures icon_rolleyes.gif

I guess these playstation developers are living in a different world where anything above 480 tv-lines are considered hi-res.

It's not developer's fault really, you try cramming hi-res textures into 32 megs of RAM. banghead.gif

Even XBOX ports of playstation games have to have those blurry textures, arrgh. banghead.gif

So far I've only seen low-res sub-par textures icon_rolleyes.gif

It's not developer's fault really, you try cramming hi-res textures into 32 megs of RAM. banghead.gif

Even XBOX ports of playstation games have to have those blurry textures, arrgh. banghead.gif

i think you may have misunderstood what he was saying; san andreas' developers claimed to have originally made high-resolution textures for everything in san andreas, and then scaled them down for the ps2; then they would use the original (high resolution) textures in the pc version, since there would be more resources. shadow was saying that he hasn't seen anything that looks high res.

i don't necessarily agree, but i do think that gta tends to look better on the ps2 than on the pc; it seems that on the pc, everything looks extremely "clean," and the high resolution settings available really make the low detail of buildings and other stuff stand out. just my two cents.

Been playing San Andreas... It's.. great biggrin_o.gif

I like Vice City, the gameplay, like driving and shooting etc, and San Andreas made it better (Mouse look, holding people up with gun lock on thing, shame you can't get money etc of them, but oh well tounge2.gif).. Like I though I drove a loong way to some mansion to steal a rhym book, then I looked at the map, not even 1/4 the map.. biggrin_o.gif

Dont really like any of the music on radio (Rage Against The Machine is about only song on it I can listen to, really tounge2.gif), but the MP3 thing is perfect tounge2.gif (Had sevral songs, adverts, more songs, advert or two etc)

Oh, and the camera (I love taking photos, in real life, and now in game tounge2.gif) is great smile_o.gif

Boiling Point.. Thought it'd be great (from what I've read).. But it was.. awfull.. I went though about 3-4 loading screens (about 2 mins each?) to get to game, then wandered around, talked to a few hideously badly lip-synced characters (Worse than OFP, really..), repetive people, who I could ask the same quetsion I coulda asked the last 100 people.. You can tell someone no way, not going to give you that. The map makes no sense, I can't tell where I am, either it's not marked on, or very slow updating. Some guy, for no reason starts running about screaming, so I shoot him, now from then on, any civ I get within 10m starts running away screaming, UNLESS I get close, and press right-mouse button on them, then they stop, and calmy talk to you.. The kids scream is same as anyones.. Bit odd, few civies shot me, so kiled them (Easily), stubmled over the hostipal, the guy seemed to freely give out syringes, and if you say "No way, someguy would turn over in his grave if he saw you charging for treatment, I hope you don't mind the blood on the floor", then 2 seconds later ask for treatment "Sure"... huh.gif

..Got bored, and quit

The opening cutscene, as I just forgot, was hidoues, the splash-screen video, hideous..

Such a shame, the game sounded great sad_o.gif

San Andreas multiplayer, if it's not just run about and shoot peoeple could be pretty fun for a while smile_o.gif

- Ben

Anyone else get a bad conscience after killings cops lol?

Where do the pictures end up that you take with the camera?

I don't like "campaign" mode so much, I just wanna cruise around and maybe sneak into some houses and steal stuff hehe.

I had a CTD today, and I didn't save my last two missions in GTA. Now I gotta do them all over again. banghead.gif

Edit: Not to be a wanker, but does anyone know if there's a cheat that lets you skip a mission? I get frustrated doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over... it stops being fun. Even when I finally do pass it.

non that i heard of. you could look for some saved game files or maybe a hack that'll get you through it on the net.

I heard somewhere EB games pulled Boiling Point off it's shelves. I was stupid enough to get it when it came out and IT SUCKS. It could be a fun game but they have a lot of bugs to fix.

game looks boring to me....

maybe its me but, OFP looks more fun  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif GTA was not boring before i didnt begin playing OFP pistols.gif

It looks the same has vice city to me, the graphics, the cars, the models... im not sure i will buy this, it looks like a vice city expantion with more of the same gameplay and poor graphics confused_o.gif .

Best reason I can think, the map is.. insane tounge2.gif

It's huge, maybe OFP has bigger maps, but the map in San Andreas has loads of detail, nice (In most cases, the freeway-cross-over area is hidoues, but it works tounge2.gif) road systems, I've done around 10% of the game, and it's taken me 11 hours, but that's including me messing around a lot tounge2.gif

I've not left the starting island yet, and it still fells huge, and it's smaller than the other islands... crazy_o.gif

The map!

I guess it's over 100kb tounge2.gif

(Around 600kb)

The missions are fun, some can be annoying if you fail, but if you do it a different way, like where you have to steal the combine harvester, instead of driving in the front door, I ran one guy over, took the rifle, jumped a fence, went round the back, jumped over the wall into the field, shot 3 guys, and nicked the combine, and dove out (That thing is sick tounge2.gif).

I hated some of the driving missions in Vice City, as they were liniar, and no other way to do them, but the driving ones in San Andreas are easier, or you can take shortcuts etc (When you fall of, the enemy goes round a longer route, and you can catch up easily). Most missions I pass by the second time

The camera photos show up in

My Documents Folder/GTA San Andreas User Files\Snapshots smile_o.gif

- Ben

oh, the control system is kinda differrent to vice city. You dont have a cross-hair all the time, you get one when you hold the right-mouse button. And can hold people up with it, or scare them away if their armed with melee weapons/nothing. And the mouse controls the view when driving (Unless you leave the mouse still, then it goes to VC style camera), which works really well IMHO.

I absolutely love the game, actually I'm only playing the "campaign" , you miss a lot of fun by not playing it.

I had 2 CTD's, but I save after every mission smile_o.gif

and sometimes my mouse wont work either ingame or in the menu.

If it wont work ingame I have to klick around in the menu and vice versa.

But non the less, I love the game smile_o.gif

Do yo have to do the "girlfriend missions" or is that optional? Just seems to be a waste of time, pick her up, go to a bar or for some food, and drive her back just to get a ever so slight increase in the relationship bar. And what do you get after you get a full bar? The car that's parked outside their house? Whatever.