Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

Zil-131 pack v1

My sound in ofp completely disappeared when i installed this just figured i'd let you guys know.

Sincerely,

BlackDeath

2 All: Thank you again. Just doing our work.

2 CDi - You are a little bit stupid, when doing things like that. Later i thought, that you're much better than you show me now.

If someone don't want to place 35 mb file in Addons folder, just recompress it by Unpbo\Makepbo with full compression. It will be about 20 mbs.

very nice work guys as i said before the zsu on the back is real fun now ive had the chance to play with it wink_o.gif those apaches dont stand a chance now smile_o.gif

@ Mar. 12 2004,05:34)]If someone don't want to place 35 mb file in Addons folder, just recompress it by Unpbo\Makepbo with full compression. It will be about 20 mbs.

Hi, it's not about the size on the hard drive, but it's about the size in memory. It still will be 35 MB, whether you compress the PBO or not.

I'd advise you that you make the addon uncompressed under 8 MB. This is reasonably for 4 trucks. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice, but I can't play with them, and I won't play with them, unless they aren't such a memory beast.

If you have PI - 100 Mhz Proc, you're right. And 16 mb of memory. I have Athlone 2300 XP, 512 RAM, Radeon 9600 256. No lags, no memory troubles. So if you wanna fast Flash - play with BIS Trucks.

That's a poor attitude Denorc.  Most of us don't have anything like a computer like yours.  But you also exaggerate about the computers some of us are running. OFP won't even run on a 100mhz processor.  

Most people here I would say have between a 1.3mhz-1.7ghz processor with some kind of reasonable 3d card.

But its your choice how widely usable you want your addons to be.  The bigger they are, the less mission makers will want to use them.   But with that said, they are beautiful and I congratulate your team for the hard work on them.  

But hopefully your teams future addons will work reasonably well on more "average" computers.

So if the truck textures, are never modified to be a smaller file size, then I'm afraid I'll have to take your advice and stick to the BIS trucks.  

Although I think there is another addon that had some URAL trucks with some nice weapons on them.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

IMO: The damage efects are rather "strange" , especially the black smoke column from the hood. Never did get one to be completely destroyed, but it was late and I didn't have any AT weapons.

I will perform complete and exhaustive destruction tests tonight!! biggrin_o.gif

Certainly. Maybe we produce some optimization process. And more lods etc. Btw, only 5000 polys on a truck model - 'cause of wheel protector 3D... )) Thank you for explaining, i am not good in english.

About soldiers. This is not a WAR soldier. That's a real army man, you can meet it on a street in Russia (without instrumentary bags certainly). AK74 added only for game logic balance...

Well I used to run OFP on a P266mhz for the longest time till I bumped up to a 900mhz which got struck by lighting and downgraded to a 600mhz. Considering that he bothered making this and it has garrison units included you wouldn't see this type of element in frontline combat. It should be still considered beta as well. These guys make good units, and realistic as hell, nore do they make you wait a year or two for a mod come out to play with em. Infact gonna give em a try once I stop typing on here to try and give some positive feebback. Sounds like Denorc is already ontop of it.

Quote[/b] ]About soldiers. This is not a WAR soldier. That's a real army man, you can meet it on a street in Russia (without instrumentary bags certainly). AK74 added only for game logic balance...

I was wondering about that myself. I used to think that this pack also contained several Russian infantry soldiers.

Now I recognize that this contains a Russian army soldier wearing a fatigue set with a pair of boots and limited webbing. Makes sense now.

AK

These are very nice looking trucks. However I was a bit amazed at the file size myself. Four trucks?

Quote[/b] ]That's a poor attitude Denorc.  Most of us don't have anything like a computer like yours.  But you also exaggerate about the computers some of us are running.   OFP won't even run on a 100mhz processor.  

Most people here I would say have between a 1.3mhz-1.7ghz processor with some kind of reasonable 3d card.

But its your choice how widely usable you want your addons to be.  The bigger they are, the less mission makers will want to use them.   But with that said, they are beautiful and I congratulate your team for the hard work on them.  

But hopefully your teams future addons will work reasonably well on more "average" computers.

So if the truck textures, are never modified to be a smaller file size, then I'm afraid I'll have to take your advice and stick to the BIS trucks.  

Although I think there is another addon that had some URAL trucks with some nice weapons on them.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Edited by Miles Teg on Mar. 12 2004,15:37

Oh my god. Someone who's videwpoint actually coincides with mine on this issue.

Although yes I've learned to "sacrifice" and "comprimise" I'd really like to see some addons that are at least scaled or a "mid range system-friendly" counterpart.

I was going to ask though, what soldiers are in this picture? I have a thing for soldiers with do-rags. I think it looks cool.

Quote[/b] ]The trucks and drivers look great.  

The file size and the fact that 1st person view in the truck lags badly for me isnt great.  

I really like them but I have a hard time wanting to use these for anything.

I feel like this for a lot of addons that are coming out these days, nice as they all are!

Quote[/b] ]I'd advise you that you make the addon uncompressed under 8 MB. This is reasonably for 4 trucks. Don't get me wrong, they are very nice, but I can't play with them, and I won't play with them, unless they aren't such a memory beast.

Why did I feel like such an asshole being critical of all these addons these days that eat more than their fair share of memory. I had no idea other people felt the same way.

I see the stranges conspiracies in the operation flashpoint community. First there is this myth that JPEG textures are bad! Even when I ran on a 800mhz 256mb PC100 ram I had absolutly no lag from INQ's weapons. Then people complain that addons are "unfair" because they take "powerful" computers to run. 1.3ghz is not powerful, and yet it runs every addon to date just fine. If somone has trouble running this addon or any addon for that matter on a P3 800mhz computer than lower your video settings! It is not the addon makers fault that OFP looks crappy on lower settings for which your computer is barely capable of playing. If somone doesnt like how ofp runs, then upgrade, if you can't upgrade, then don't come here and tell addon makers that they need to make their addons poor so you can run them.

I personally don't see any performance problem with them at all, even on Tonal, and I really don't care how large the PBOs are. They're good quality addons, with nice effects and that's what matters. Even if they do cause some performance problems on lower end PCs, those people with lower-end PCs shouldn't be trying to hold addon makers and the rest of us back.

Quote[/b] ]If somone doesnt like how ofp runs, then upgrade, if you can't upgrade, then don't come here and tell addon makers that they need to make their addons poor so you can run them.

First off. The idea of upgrading a PC to use addons is ridiculous.

Secondly, I can offer any opinion I want so long as it doesn't come across as implicitly or overtly insulting, or giving rise to insults in turn. Addonmakers are just as within their rights to decline to comply.

Third. I don't think standard bis models are poor quality. They're made for what they were intended for. My pc is not 800mhz, however I find one of the few things that makes ofp competitive in a game market these days is the sheer quantity -not- quality of the entities in the game. If people are trying to shoot for that, try as they might. It's just not happening. Trying to compete with newer games that aren't even remotely similar to ofp is a fruitless endeavor.

It seems to me many people are satisfied with the shift to higher detail with the sacrifice of using less units on the playing field due to performance constraints. This is not something I agree with at all. I've had a chance to play on a range of systems up to 3.2ghz. It's always the same for me. More units. More carnage, I don't stand around inspecting the rivets on the fusilage of an aircraft while bullets go whizzin by me.

I can use them. More importantly though. Can I use them in the sorts of missions I am proclive to play/make. Hell no? So they're useless to me and I'm free to express that.

Also please tell me what information you have that substantiates your theory that Jpeg textures don't decrease performance? It sounds like your machine was so inadequately equipped you'd hardly notice the difference from bad to worse.

There are two things to consdier

1. People who want to use high-end addons shouldn't be held back by the complaints of those with low-end systems

2. Addon makers should be a little mindful of making their addons as compact and use less resources as they can without compromising adon quality.

Both sides have valid points.

Quote[/b] ]If you have PI - 100 Mhz Proc, you're right. And 16 mb of memory. I have Athlone 2300 XP, 512 RAM, Radeon 9600 256. No lags, no memory troubles. So if you wanna fast Flash - play with BIS Trucks.

You've got a point there.

I have absolutely no problem running them at all.

There's an old saying in the OFP community: "If you don't like the addon, don't download it".

Nobody put a gun to your head and told you you had to download it, and furthermore, nobody put a gun to your head and told you how many units you had to have on the field.

Both sides have valid points, but one side goes a little too far when it *expects* rather than simply *suggests* that addonmakers change their work to fit their system.

It's enough to simply say: 'My computer can't run this addon effectively, so I'm not going to use it'.

For my part, I haven't got any trouble using it, and I happen to like how good it looks. If I couldn't or didn't, I wouldn't use it, and furthermore, knowing *why*, I *wouldn't* post about it.

Sure thing, and unfortunately I probably won't be for the types of missions I make. Still, they're nice trucks.

However I must say that while I totally agree OFP's ability to make choices puts as much responsiblity on the end user as it does anyone making something. If I don't want to use it. I won't use it. Simple. No point dwelling on it. Still.

I do particularly like that one truck because of it's sort of reinforced interior type look/feel to it. I don't know of any other trucks similar to that, which are comparitively lower detail.

It'd be nice to have something like that for a switch, but it's not essential. I've gotten used to just not being bothered by missing out on certain addons simply by virtue that they're entirely unique and there isn't a comparitive alternate.

Take for instance the new Mi-26. It looks pretty high detail, but it's not the only one out there. I can download this other older one I saw somewhere. So I'm covered. Still I fully acknowledge that even if such a disparity is not covered by having two versions of an addon. It's not the addonmakers responsibility or duty. It would however be nice to have the ability to choose. And ya can't blame me for being just at least a little disappointed if it happens.

Quote[/b] ]I have a thing for soldiers with do-rags. I think it looks cool.

The soldier you see there is a VDV Recce trooper. He's part of the Russian VDV 1.5 Pack, by ORCS.

AK

Personally I think, that there will be no optimization in addon only from your comments, guys.

We began to produce 1.5 version. Textures will be a little bit optimized and reskinned, GRAD modification will be added. Maybe Kung modification became "mobile ingeneering station" and we will made Fuel-tank version of truck...

2 Sigma: You're right)

Maybe we should make few pbo's, with one truck in each of it? I am serious, we can do this.

------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link for VDV 1.5

ftp://www.gamezone.cz:8021/ofpd/unofaddons2/desantv15.rar

Quote[/b] ]We began to produce 1.5 version. Textures will be a little bit optimized and reskinned, GRAD modification will be added.

To me, Grad is the diminuitive of Gorod - Both meaning City. So this ZIL-131GRAD would be what, exactly?

Of course, since GRAD was capitalized and appeared to be either an abbreviation or a acroynm for something, I'll repeat my question in a slightly more logical manner:

What would a ZIL-131GRAD truck be, exactly?

AK

Quote[/b] ]Maybe we should make few pbo's, with one truck in each of it? I am serious, we can do this.

It'd be nice regardless of the type of addon to see more of this sort of thing.

grad in Russian is hail which make sense to me more than gorod or city because the rockets are like hail. tounge_o.gif

Sorry this is a bit offtopic but it has to do with Laser's Russian SF pack 1.00.

Is the detail ratio for those addons slightly higher or lower as compared to the russian vdv pack 1.5 soldiers?