Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Something interesting

Speaking of tales. There is one of my city which claims that because of a very special reason bla bla bla the devil was so furious and quickly ran out of the cathedral, but on his way out his thumb got stuck in the handle (which is a huge head of a lion) of the door and you can still feel it inside the right handle. smile_o.gif

So let's collect church pictures... biggrin_o.gif

There are dozens in and around Hannover. Here's the popular Marktkirche:

http://www.hannover.de/deutsch/bilder/marktkir.jpg

That one's quite nice, especially the huge pentagram ghostface.gif

[imghttp://koti.phnet.fi/paavolai/fotot/pentagrammi1.jpg[/img

Hannover has also a nice city hall.

[imghttp://koti.phnet.fi/paavolai/fotot/rathaus1_han.jpg[/img]

Hmm can someone explain y it has a pentogram and the star of david on the other side?

Quote[/b] ]Speaking of tales.

My homecity has had some weird folklore in the past to.We have every year in Ypres the "catfest" ,it's a festival that originally started around 960 ,the festival remeber's the elimination of an old cult worshipping the goddes freya ,the sister of Wodan.In the legend ,Wodan his Chariot was pulled by cats ,and later in medieval times the association of cat to devil came even stronger.Most important piece of the fest was the yearly throwing of a few 100's of cats from the top of the Ypres Belfort ,supposedly to kill the devil.This folklore lasts until now ,however since 1817 the people have stopped using alive cats to drop down ,after one perticular cat actually survived the fall (about 100meters) and walked away ,so says the legend.

The Ypres Belfort could be seen on the picture's i showed in my first post ,it's the tower standing on the Lakenhalle.

Cathedrale (a Basilique in this case) Sainte Cecile in Albi (France) , my favorite piece of architecture ever.

I visited the place several times while travelling and was always impressed by the amount of work

cathe.jpg18.jpg

Inside of the cathedrale, two of the most impressive places you will find (click to enlarge for higher quality)

albi1v.jpg

albi4v.jpg

115 meters long , 35 meters large and 40 meters high

The construction began in 1282 and ended in 1480

The last addition was made in 1535.

I never expected that hardcore OFP players would start discuss about church architecture. Huh, strange world?  smile_o.gif

these are from my actual hometown :

eglisechatelleraultstjb2.jpg

Saint-Jean-Baptiste church, downtown, this was one of the most magnificent churches in the region before WW2 when as a result of several bombings in the surroundings, the arrow got damaged and has been removed in the early 1950's since it risked to collapse and fall on the Blossac street (main commercial street in chartellerault, on the side of the central square) and block the road.

paroisses_eglise_st_jean_evangeliste.jpg

Saint Jean l'Evangéliste, the church where i've done my communion smile_o.gif (this church has a russian bell in the belltower, bell of which i've already explained the histroy in some other thread)

paroisses_eglise_st_jacques.jpg

Saint Jacques, the most awesome church of all chatellerault IMO, it dates back from the 11th century (it's been reworked during the 19th century)

this church was on the way to St Jacques de Compostelles, it has some really nice sculptures and the only musical bell set of the region (52 bells of various size to ring the Angelus)

Quote[/b] ]I never expected that hardcore OFP players would start discuss about church architecture. Huh, strange world?

But i like old architecture ,and lets face it ,in the middle ages if they were going to build something nice ,big and artfully then usually it was a church/cathedral.

Besides ,such threads are a beauty to look at. (unless youre on 3kbps modem speed)

I once made a thread on an other forum with as topic "descrive youre home city" ,it didn't took much time before it had a few hundreds of reply's with each poster showing picture's on the nice things in their city.It was definatly worthwile to watch the thread.

065-nd-de-tyn.jpg

(Tyn, renowned for astronomical clock)

Prague having one of the most magnificent historical centers i've seen yet .. couldn''t resist posting some pics ...

St Guy cathedral (not sure of the english name)

252-st-guy.jpg

prague_occi.jpg

aerienne.jpg

Nice ... And Bohemian to ,would be nice to have that sort of stuff moddeled in Ofp ,just eyecandy ,and a tower to snipe from.  smile_o.gif

edit: wow just looked at that aerial picture ,all those buildings around the cahedral form 1 fortified block? Must be very impressive.

Hmm can someone explain y it has a pentogram and the star of david on the other side?

the pentagram is a christian symbol, symbolising the five wounds of christ I think... It was also used by some medieval knights. But the pentagram on that picture is upside down, which is the pentagram used by satanists and wiccas. Maybe its a satanist/wicca church? wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]the pentagram is a christian symbol, symbolising the five wounds of christ I think... It was also used by some medieval knights. But the pentagram on that picture is upside down, which is the pentagram used by satanists and wiccas. Maybe its a satanist/wicca church?  

no the pentagram wasnt originally christian it was Celtic Paganistic in origin , and derived from that is Wicca (a re-established form of paganism, commonly called in a collective name Neo-Paganism for others such as Druids etc), which isnt evil as all Cowen (non Wicca) usually think, and the pentagram being upside down is the WRONG way round for Wicca it should be the right way up (1 point at the top) though some Wicca-christians (and YES it IS possible to be both) see it as the 5 wounds or indeed the body of christ, in medieval times a famous knight (cant remember his name) used the Right way up pentagram to symbolise the 5 values of knighthood,

but as far as my knowledge goes, either an upside down cross or inverted pentagram is a satanist symbol, a right side up pentagram (or penticle, the one in the circle) is the symbol of Wicca, and a cross right way up is a christian symbol.

so thank you for listening, and in the future please dont put Wicca in the same league as satanism as We Wiccans really dont like it at all. henceforth i shall show you the Wicca Rede

An if thou hurt none, then do what thy will

(in other words, if no-one comes to harm through your actions then do it) Wiccans will never try to cast Manipulative/devious Magick as it goes against the Rede and also they are wary of the Three Fold rule

thanks for listening (again)

My `Net connection is playing up, so no piccies I's afraid but I'd just like to cast a vote here for York Minster, Guildford Cathedral and, especially, Milan Cathedral - very detailed carvings, even in places that people can neither get to, nor see (because God could see them and therefore they had to be decorated in his honour).

Heh this is all pretty interesting, maybe it shouldnt be limited to just Churches and/or places of worship, but include the most interesting building (in terms of design) from each forum members home town/city. I know fo sure mines the City of Manchester Stadium for Manchester wink_o.gif Start a new thread and make it a sticky plzzzzzzzzz Placebo, plzzzzzzzzzzzz biggrin_o.gif

The ultimate church ever built is Gaudi's Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona:

sagrada.jpg

sagrada.jpg

sagrada-front.jpg

Yeah ,maybe we should just open a thread for various historical building picture's.It wouldn't be a waste neither ,such threads could be used by addon makers to get an idea of building style's in varied places in the world.

For island makers ,if you are making a island that is representing a real area in the world then it always helps to know people that live their to take picture's for you or give information.Picture threads like this can help addon makers find peopl of the area they are making.

That one's quite nice, especially the huge pentagram ghostface.gif

Marktkirche, pentagram

This is the official tourist information regarding the Marktkirche:

"The marketplace was at the very centre of urban expansion in Hannover. Merchants and craftsmen used to live around here. In the 14th century, the Marktkirche ("The Church at the Marketplace") was built here. Together with the Old Town Hall to the right they are considered to be the southernmost specimens of the "North German neo-Gothic" style. Just as the tower reached half of its planned height, the construction had to be stopped due to shortages in the town's coffers. "The builders be faint and taken of the sickness", reports contemporary chronicle. For financial reasons, a shortened spire was mounted without further ado (which became very popular and was imitated widely). Unchanged in style, the Marktkirche was rebuilt in 1952. The portal with scenes from the saddest chapter of German history was designed by Gerhard Marcks.

Even many of the well-informed citizens of Hannover are oblivious to the fact that the "Deutsche Michel" (a nickname the Germans often give to themselves) is actually buried here. He was by no means just a legendary figure. His name was General Johann Michael von Obentraut, and he was leading the Danish and German army against Tilly when he was mortally wounded on 25 October 1625. This hero of the Thirty Years War was known as "der deutsche Michel" to his contemporaries."

An explanation:

A pentagram is often called "Drudenfuß" (pentacle). This could be because it resembles the swimming-bird-like feet of female ghosts of the night. As protection against these ghosts (and to get rid of them) this symbol was applied to beds, cradles and doors of stables. In the middle ages the pentagramm was also added to houses and churches (see Marktkirche Hannover, 1350AD).

source (google was my friend)

This topic has definately taken a weird turn.  rock.gif

Well, now it's a thread about interesting pictures of churches around the world. Perhaps BIS can use them?

smile_o.gif

Backside of the the church at praha castle. Frontside already shown by ran.

PIC_0032.jpg

The Landshut St. Martin´s church with the highest brickstone tower in the world:

landshut_2.jpg

The gothic church has been built in it´s first version in 1204.

It´s impressive when during historical celebration that is repeated all 4 years horses with knights on them get into the church.

main.jpg

landshut_1.jpg

Isn't it still unfinished crazy_o.gif?

Nope, It's built out of a soft corrosive type of stone, so it's always under repair.