Sign in to follow this  
pajama

Military plastic model kits

Has anyone ever come across a Vought F5U model?

flying pancake ?

Hasegawa made a 1/72 model of it

Thanks for asking Tigershark smile_o.gif and thanks for the link Soul_Assassin...the Brit IFV tutorial inspired me to maybe buy some cheap Tamiya M2A2 Bradly biggrin_o.gif

Although I hav'nt recieved my model yet...I have read up on many resources and tutoriails on diffrent things and feel somewhat confident on doing my model...ofcourse I do have some questions...

I read throught many articles and i can'nt seem to figure out what a "thinner" dose to paint and such rock.gif

Also decals...what is a good 3rd party brand? It seems like Aero Master has some pretty nice ones...

One last thing on paint. Well I likely be able to get good quility paints for models, lets say arts and craft stores like Michaels,etc...if not what brand do you have the best expeirence with Enamel? I ask this because their of a heck lot cheaper then the "specialize" ones (Hmm just remembered from the GOTF interview that you live in Japan tounge_o.gif ...but their are probably similer stores their)

Michaels Paint

Thanks, -PJ

I havent had the best of luck with plastic model kits. I once got a williys jeep kit for a start and my dad said he would help me. By the end of the ordeal, it looked like a daisy cutter and half a ton of napalm was dropped on my desk. sad_o.gif

Maybe I should get back into it. smile_o.gif

Thanks for asking Tigershark  smile_o.gif and thanks for the link Soul_Assassin...the Brit IFV tutorial inspired  me to maybe buy some cheap Tamiya M2A2 Bradly biggrin_o.gif

Although I hav'nt recieved my model yet...I have read up on many resources and tutoriails on diffrent things and feel somewhat confident on doing my model...ofcourse I do have some questions...

I read throught many articles and i can'nt seem to figure out what a "thinner" dose to paint and such rock.gif

Also decals...what is a good 3rd party brand?  It seems like Aero Master has some pretty nice ones...

One last thing on paint.  Well I likely be able to get good quility paints for models, lets say arts and craft stores like Michaels,etc...if not what brand do you have the best expeirence with Enamel?  I ask this because their of a heck lot cheaper then the "specialize" ones (Hmm just remembered from the GOTF interview that you live in Japan tounge_o.gif ...but their are probably similer stores their)

Michaels Paint

Thanks, -PJ

Pajama,

Thinner is used to lower the viscosity (thickness) of the paint mainly for airbrushing. To use paint in an airbrush it needs to be made the same consistency as milk and typically paint is MUCH thicker than this when you buy it.

If you are brush painting you may not find much use for thinner although thinned paint for brushing will mean you will not suffer from brush marks or weird paint build up on the model.

If you are using paint cans thinner will not be necessary.

As to paint...well...the jury is still out on that one. I almost exclusively use acrylic based paints and not enamels. Mainly because they are less toxic and SOOOO MUCH easier to clean up after use. I use Tamiya acrylics which are VERY good quality and sometimes use Gunze Sangyo acrylic paints as well. Model Master also make great acrylics.

If you are starting out...I would recommend these over enamels simply to make things simpler whilst learning. Enamels "lay down" or spray better than acrylics generally, but have longer drying times and are a little messier to work with if you are a beginner.

Hope this helps smile_o.gif

I use Tamiya acrylics as well, they're easy on the brushes as well as being great on the model.

never really spotted this thread before, but Ihave to agree onthe tamiya part. Tamiya has perfect models. I have like 40 tamiya models (1/35 military vehicles) still in the box waiting for me to start on them biggrin_o.gif

Their newest work (HMMWV, M1A2 Iraqi freedom editions) looks awesome. But I prefer their (german) WW2 addons. The germans made great tanks and Tamiya made really great models of them. The WW2 US soldiers that ship with the two sherman tanks (105mm and 75mm versions) are pure perfection.

To beginning modelers;

There's tons of info about paining on the web. It's really worth searching for. In time you will develop your own ways and style, but in the beginning this info helps a lot.

I like tamiya armoured vehicles

i recently built the 1/32 RAF gr4 tornado by revel it was a good model and looks nice becasue it came with free markings(mig eater) and resin upgrades it made it look very nice and all for Å20 smile_o.gif

I also built the 1/35 blackhawk DAP by academy it was also very nice to build and looks good as well smile_o.gif

Just got back from my vaction. smile_o.gif

Ok, I resized my pictures of the M1A2 Abrams that I posted in this thread.They are 800x600 and about 100kb in size.

Here is my new project.

A tamiya M2A2. 1:35 scale.(by the way, my M1A2 model is 1:35 scale)

http://home.comcast.net/~dennyshunk/P1200001.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~dennyshunk/P1220001.JPG

Here is an other screen shot of my M1A2 on my monitor.

http://home.comcast.net/~dennyshunk/P1200003.JPG

I'll post more pictures while I'm workin on the M2A2.Should go good with the Abrams. unclesam.gif

Hmm, just noticed this thread

So I'll contribute some of the sites I visit on a daily basis

www.track-link.net

Best site I know of for AFV modelling

ww2modelmaker

ww2 AFV and figure modelling site

Missing-lynx

similar to Track-link

Aircraftresourcecenter

Best site I know of for Static aircraft modelling hands down,

updated daily with readers examples,contributions

Hyperscale

good to keep in touch with the latest product releases

with a large reference section & gallery

I'm mainly into 1:48th scale modern jet fighters atm

having 3 Academy Flankers in my collection all waiting for

their resin replacement cockpits

1/48 Academy Su-27UB by Kaan Gök

su-27ub-49.jpg

su-27ub-15.jpg

su-27ub-11.jpg

I'd be happy if mine ended up looking something like this

I also have an Academy 1:35th Tiger(Early) with full interior

with all the photoetch upgrades I could get from eduard

waiting for some free time and at a point where I feel confident enough

to work on it.

ATM I am working on a Tamiya PzIV ausfD to try some techniques I

have read about.

I've also a 1:48 Revell Rafale M sort of half way through completion

BTW I hope heller or some crowd come out with a 1:35 Panhard VBL

It's got some good lines smile_o.gif

Inspired partially by this thread, when I spotted a new hobby shop yesterday I stopped in and they had hundreds of models there mostly planes and WW2 models with a few ships.. but there were a few more moder armor kits..

but I picked up a pretty nice looking ZSU-23-4M (Shilka) Model for like $17.00.. I wanted to buy a couple things.. but I figured I'd wait and see how this one goes first...

I'm still painting alot of stuff before doing any assembly, I'll have to get some pictures up when I get it finished

biggrin_o.gif

Any tips on how to paint a model with multiple nuances that way? Most models I have painted have gotten simple one color paint jobs. I never get multiple colors to look good, they always blur into eacother!

I usually give a nice base coat to everything before I put anything together and then tape off areas with masking tape once it comes time to do multiple colors like a camo pattern or something..

To get it lookin real pretty I think an airbrush is a must even if it is a cheap one.... I did see a small "airplane finishing kit" when I was at the hobby shop yesterday. but it just looked like some different types of paint as well as some putty and masking tape

Yes, I have an airbrush wich was given to me by a guy who used to do logo design, grafitti and airbrush paintings as a hobby. It's a really good one, but I am afraid I don't know how to use it very well on the plastic. But on many of my models I just use a regular brush as tidying up the kitchen table after using an airbrush isn't my favourite thing in the world to do smile_o.gif

I usually give a nice base coat to everything before I put anything together and then tape off areas with masking tape once it comes time to  do multiple colors like a camo pattern or something..

To get it lookin real pretty I think an airbrush is a must even if it is a cheap one.... I did see a small "airplane finishing kit" when I was at the hobby shop yesterday. but it just looked like some different types of paint as well as some putty and masking tape

Ditto.I paint everything before assembly.Or paint as you go.Like Instructions number 1. for this M2A2 kit is Lower hull assembly, so I paint the parts that are required, first, then put them togethor.But be shure to scrape the paint of the part were it needs to be glued, or else the glue wont really bond, and it just gets really messy.

But there are times when you can put the parts togethor, then paint them. i.e. Road wheels, barrel, the side panels etc where they are useally one color, or easy to paint by hand with a brush.

Dont just spray paint your model to.I use Spray paint(Testers brand(modeling paint)), airbrush, and paint brushes.

I haven't started my M2A2 yet, but I'll post pictures soon when I do. smile_o.gif

Blah...went to HobbyTown USA yesterday (My B-Day) and bought some a bottle of Tamiya's XF-3 Flat Yellow, XF-5 Flat green, X-Acto knife, Tester's cement & clear cement, and finally a Testor's "Military Aircraft Spray Set", along with that a bottle of Tester's Flat Sea Blue (Because they did'nt have any Tamiya Navy Blue Aircraft Spray cans on hand). Some other colors I already have on hand.

The Aircraft Spray Set is kind of odd and comes with the following:

Cap Sprayer

Ozone Safe Airbrush Propellant

5 bottles of 1/4 FL oz paints (Gunship-Gray, Dark Ghost Gray, Light Ghost Gray, Neutral Gray, Olive Drab)

1 bottle of 1/2 FL oz Flat Black

Mixing Bottle

28 mm Clip Cap

Dip Tube

Cleaning Wire

Paint Brush

One of you better hurry up and tell me if any of these are crap so I can return em before I open em!!! biggrin_o.gif

Oh btw...when applying a primer layer of paint...dose it really matter what type of paint you use? And what color do you recommend for the Sea Blue Corsair? Recommendations?

Thanks, -PJ

I don't use primer.Also, if you want an army look, use flat colors.If you want a sports car, or a airplane look(shinny), use gloss paints.

For my Corsair if I remember right, I used Tester spray paint, Gloss Dark Blue.

I'll post a screen shot here in a min. smile_o.gif

Ok, here ya go.My Corsair.

http://home.comcast.net/~dennyshunk/P1260001.JPG

Oh, and my F-16 model to.

http://home.comcast.net/~dennyshunk/F-16.JPG

I got a couple more models, an A-10, and a B-52(huge!About 2'3" nose to tail, with a wingspan of about 3' or so(total) 1 wing is about 1'6".(approx))

Wow talk about wear and tear on the Corsair! biggrin_o.gif

I really like the F16 wink_o.gif

Ok, finally finished my M2A2 Bradley! smile_o.gif

Still doing some touchup on it though.And its the same scale as my M1A2(1:35 scale).Perfect combo. unclesam.gif  Angle.This is when it was still under construction.

http://home.comcast.net/~dennyshunk/P2050001.JPG

Another angle

http://home.comcast.net/~dennyshunk/P2050007.JPG

Top view.Note silver on left hand.Its a watch I painted.This is the finished version.(Still working on touchup though)

http://home.comcast.net/~dennyshunk/m2a22.JPG

Angle final.(ramp door open)

http://home.comcast.net/~dennyshunk/P2070007.JPG

And back view.(ramp closed)

http://home.comcast.net/~dennyshunk/P2070012.JPG

Images resized, and alittle compression.(504,000 bytes still after resize.Compression got it down to 100,000 some bytes.  crazy_o.gif )

Woohoo!!! I finally finish the Corsiars cockpit after 6 days tounge_o.gif

I think it looks pretty nice for a first timer if I may add wink_o.gif

I'll post a pic as soon as I can get a hold of my friends 5 megapixel camera crazy_o.gif ...its either that or my camera phone tounge_o.gif

Also recently I got a hold of this huge @$$ book called "The Great Book of WWII Airplanes" ...it measures about 13x10 in.

crazy_o.gif It covers 12 planes in depth with each section covering about 50 pages with great illustrations from Rikyu Watanabe (Includes cockpits, photos, almost just about every angle of a plane etc. - every page is color and includes some folded long pics) wow_o.gif

You won't belive how cheap I got it for...considering what the MSRP is...lets just say I got it 99% off.

I also have another very similer book which I got a while back called "The Great Book of Modern Warplanes" (14x10 in. -All Fighters - except B-1B)) which also covers in depth 10 planes from A-10s to the F-14s with about 60 pages each.  I have to say my fav. section is the F-4 Phantom II biggrin_o.gif

I'm really sorry for showing off sad_o.gif

But if any of you need help with spec.s or anything just give me a chatter

-PJ

PS: Nice job on the Bradly Viper...you just need to weater it mad_o.giftounge_o.gif