Sign in to follow this  
bonko the sane

Aec island-3 in 1

Quote[/b] ]...a winter version of Nogova could be published on condition that it will only be usable in OFP V1.75 and above.

The problem is that the WRP data would still be usable by CWC users.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>You are wrong. Everytime you are wrong.

1: Cold War Crisis players do not have the textures and objects used on Nogova. Therefore they cannot play with it.

2: Cold War Crisis players can not use the Nogova WRP anyway, because since 1.75 the island format has changed.

3: Maruk Spanel has said himself, you can release the WRP.</span>

By the way Malden is not North America. It's much more european..

Maybe this post should be made a sticky separate thread. rock.gif

I dont think you should incorporate the desert island into a map like that.

first of all it is totally the wrong island for the climate.

and then it is also the exact same shape as the small island

in SE Malden.

well that's my opinion anyways.

MadFred

Quote[/b] ]...a winter version of Nogova could be published on condition that it will only be usable in OFP V1.75 and above.

The problem is that the WRP data would still be usable by CWC users.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>You are wrong. Everytime you are wrong.

1: Cold War Crisis players do not have the textures and objects used on Nogova. Therefore they cannot play with it.

2: Cold War Crisis players can not use the Nogova WRP anyway, because since 1.75 the island format has changed.

3: Maruk Spanel has said himself, you can release the WRP.</span>

By the way Malden is not North America. It's much more european..

I been trying to say that, but no one ever listen to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sad_o.gif weeeeeeeeeeee, bu bu?(Babys crying motion)

No, serious now.

Thinking about Nogova in this addon is a waste of time, and I think that the way I sugested would be ideal for multiplayer.

And the dessert island? hell, why not?

But this is SnakeMans work, so he will decide if there is an updated, and if so, how is arranged. biggrin_o.gif

Then lot of time later I believe Jahve requested a Malden + Everon in one island from me, I did it for him but it never came to anything, dunno why. And now Mad Fred let me know that guys are again wanting a big "island" where you have all the islands combined, so I took the 20mins of WrpTool time and created the islands.

Do you still have this map laying around?

If so, any chance of sending me a copy. wink_o.gif

Malden and Everon are the two islands I use most for mission editing.

You know what to do Avon. Time to update. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Can I take off from Malden Island and land on Everon?

No, you can't go island hopping in OFP. The individual island maps are in no way interconnected. You can't fly off a map, either. You'll just continue traveling over an endless ocean. Remember to fasten you safety belts and have a pleasant journey!

wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

No, you can't go island hopping in OFP. The individual island maps are in no way interconnected. You can't fly off a map, either. You'll just continue traveling over an endless ocean. Remember to fasten you safety belts and have a pleasant journey!

wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Well, officially you cannot... this is an addon really.

But I suppose it does warrant an update?

wink_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Well, officially you cannot... this is an addon really.

But I suppose it does warrant an update?

It is more of a however if......

About the relative placement of the OFP islands:

How about asking BIS?

They might have that outlined already back when they were writing the script for CWC.

If they don't present any opinion on this we should at least look at the CWC and Red Hammer to get an idea about the relative placement of the islands. There's the A10 mission that gives an idea about the relative placement of Kolgujev and Malden (as far as i remember, but there might be other clues too...)

Nogova would add too much in game lag, just use the CwC maps :-)

Add Nogova! The lag won't be bad if you've got a strong comp.

Nogova would add too much in game lag, just use the CwC maps :-)

I don't think it would lag anymore than Nogova alone.

I could be wrong though.

Quote[/b] ]I don't think it would lag anymore than Nogova alone.

I could be wrong though.

It would, but I think it would be manageable smile_o.gif .

Larger scale map testing than this map has not shown any significant lag increase in game play, due to the visible area remaining the same, therefore processing load is still similar. Of course the inital memory load is raised, but not problematicly.

However, the mapview quickly becomes a fps hole, on 51km and larger maps due to that view needing to process ALL data, not just local visible data. This adversely affects map development in some cases.

Nogova adds a twist, as the textures are 512x512, rather than the CWC 128x128. That in of itself has a major impact on FPS.

I tryed flying over this island with my 896 MB RAM .....and I saw this:

ERROR.GIF

How many MB I should have for play with this island ?

Could that be effected by your viewdistance? Also, you can sometimes get CTDs if you fly very fast over large islands.

when colonel blake decides to march into Kolgujev, in the A10 mission, you fly NE from Malden airport. so if we are sticking to the original plot, then Kolgujev should be placed on NE of Malden.

For Everon, it is a point of contention. The first landing spot for NATO forces on Everon after Soviets take over is near Morton. so assuming that NATO forces took the shortest path to Everon from Malden, Everon could be anywhere from N of Malden to East of Malden.

Remember that the islands have to be squashed into a 51x51 tile, so some realism might have to be sacrificed.

Quote[/b] ]Add Nogova! The lag won't be bad if you've got a strong comp.
Quote[/b] ]Quote
Quote[/b] ]I don't think it would lag anymore than Nogova alone.

I could be wrong though.

It would, but I think it would be manageable

Quote[/b] ]Remember that the islands have to be squashed into a 51x51 tile, so some realism might have to be sacrificed.

Sorry M21man, I'm not piking on you or anything like that, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic ider, but after all this I quoted I'm more convinced that Nogova should not be included.

Think about performance, in a strong pc no problems, but in average pcs yes, and I think that is a minority with really stron pc.

I imagine this map to be really usefull for the CoC mod, so big amount of units may be present, chances are that there will be many firefights, and vehicles moving around, some firing and some being destroyed, ad Nogova to all this and you'll definitly will need a super pc. wink_o.gif

If it isn't too time-consuming to make, then Nogova would be a must. It's the best of the islands biggrin_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Think about performance, in a strong pc no problems, but in average pcs yes, and I think that is a minority with really stron pc.

What, is it now a rule that an addon has to be useable by people with mediocre PCs mad_o.gif ? Fine, if they're going to get pissed off anyway, I say we make it totally unusable for them and make a Tonal/East Border/Nogova map wow_o.gif ! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote[/b] ]I imagine this map to be really usefull for the CoC mod, so big amount of units may be present, chances are that there will be many firefights, and vehicles moving around, some firing and some being destroyed, ad Nogova to all this and you'll definitly will need a super pc.

P4 3.2GHz

1GB RAM

128MB Radeon 9800 Pro

I'll help anyone who wants to make a combo world with Nogova smile_o.gif .

I tryed flying over this island with my 896 MB RAM .....and I saw this:

ERROR.GIF

How many MB I should have for play with this island ?

Silesian,

Where you by any way flying/driving in 3rd person ?

I get that error too, it s a prob with your Nvidia drivers ( if you have an Nvidia that is )

I solved my crashes with selecting the standard ( very much outdated  crazy_o.gif  windows drivers ( XP ) for my TI 4600 )

I dont crash anymore now in 3rd person.

Give it a go.

Cheers

/edit

If anybody has a solution for this error while using the newest detonator drivers he will be my god wink_o.gif

Interesting - I had always attibuted my CTD's (in 3rd view of course) to my using certain engine-limit addons. Only happens when you pan really fast, maybe the buffer-limits are crummy code.

Gameplay lag is not significantly affected - PROVIDED that you have enough real RAM to avoid paging to a swap file. This is because OFP only visually 'thinks' about what is in the viewdistance limits. If your harddisk is badly fragmented causing slow data loading, or you don't have space in memory to swap in new data, then it lags while trying to figure out what to do.

No, the islands do not "have" to be squished onto a 51km, a 102km gives a realistic flight time like in the campaign. (hmm...)

The big problem with adding Nogova is that the only theory still possibly workable for legally adding it requires running it through Binarize, and Binarize chokes on anything other than 12.8km maps right now.

Quote[/b] ]The big problem with adding Nogova is that the only theory still possibly workable for legally adding it requires running it through Binarize, and Binarize chokes on anything other than 12.8km maps right now.

Strange, I thought that was the size of Nogova rock.gif . And if we can have a 102km island...The more the merrier biggrin_o.gif .

i got one question on you guys, anyone of You tried at 51x51 km maps use

Very High and High terrain geometry and slowly increase view distance while flying over area? ... You get at 95% crash when OFPR cant handle that

with 25x25km map is chance of crash like 25%

also regarding desert island, i really think it should be a south smile_o.gif