Sign in to follow this  
superskunk

Ofp2: simulation or arcade

To all the creators of Operation Flashpoint 2.

I heared rumars ofp2 won't be released until 2005 cause there also will be a version for the X-Box. When i think of the X-Box i think of acrade like games, not simulations with depth.

The thing i think what made ofp 1 a great game, is the fact that it is a war-simulation. It brought great realizme to the game-world. This realizme is ideal to use in a game...but the basics are realizme.

I think there are lot of examples of movies or games, which the first part are very good and original, and the second parts or made for the great public. With this i mean they're made to sell, not to have a great part 2.

Keep this in mind, cause you might sell a lot in the first months but only a good game will stay longer...

I hope one of the programmers is willing to respond to this question:  Is OFP2 gonna be arcade or simulation. And do you feel a this stage ofp2 has the same amount of realizme in it as part 1? Or did the team focus itself on the game-able side of OFP2?

At last i would say: unclesam.gif  War is terrible, War-games are great!!

From the Netherlands - Superskunk

Sorrry for my bad english!

No need for paranoia over the keeping of the original scheme in the sequal here, the BIS crew are just the 'realism based simulator' freaks we are wink_o.gif I'm totally confident BIS won't go pop over OFP2, but keep their 'purity' smile_o.gif

No noob simcopter like chopper flying please. I want to do barrel rolls and the like with the choppers.

Hey simcopter had quite good choppers for it's time; there were definitely worse chopper games out there :P

I'm sure the BIS staff have seen the huge support in the community for the current level of realism and even more realism - I'm sure they will realise that there is huge demand for the most realistic war simulation.

(after playing combat mission I'd love the same detailled armour penetration algorithms and damages - 'mobility kills' are a serious issue at least)

from few interviews that various OFP fan groups held with BIS, BIS noted that they are going to hold realism foremost, but will also address the issue of balance.

I don't think XBOX version will be any arcadish conversion of OFP.

I think you are under the impression that OFP2 will be released on X-Box before OFP2 is released for PC - this isn't true, OFP is being released on X-Box before OFP2 - OFP2 will be released on PC first.

When it comes out, I'm going to have a bitter laugh and an "I told you so."  I'm currently enjoying this dubious pleasure on another forum, because the much-anticipated sequal of another game which was just released happens to suck just as badly as I said it would.

It, too, was designed for X-box, when it's prequels had been only for personal computer. Oh, I know that old story!

Little Blue Assassin, look at what blackdog said. OFP2 is not designed for X-box. There merely making an x-box version of OFP1, and use the oppertunity for testing some improvements in the engine they hope to use in OFP2.

Marek Spanel is not Harvey Smith, therefore I'm still hopeful for OFP2.

If OFP2 is trashy, "streamlined" game where the features have been removed completely to make it more "intuitive" for someone with no brain cells and the slight interface troubles (actually, OFP has one of my favourite interfaces ever, but squad control is a tad clumsy) make the whole interface replaced with something worse etc etc. I'll probably go insane.

Proper console versions can be done (eg, Morrowind), as long as the PC game ain't changed or limited by the console. Its when they pander to the lowest-common-denominator that the trouble comes and well, BIS are people who I trust to get it right.

As to OFP:Xbox... can't say if its gonna be a hit, but if its the same game as on the PC but with a gamepad, those console players ain't gonna know what hit em in terms of quality, style and gameplay.

Quote[/b] ]I heared rumars ofp2 won't be released until 2005 cause there also will be a version for the X-Box. When i think of the X-Box i think of acrade like games, not simulations with depth.

That it will also be released on X-BOX doesn't mean it will be unrealistic. I think BIS will make OFP2 and OFP almost as realistic as they are on PC. And they will make OFP2 even more realistic than OFP. Though, as said before, they will try to keep the nice balance between realistic and PC game, and i.e keep the way you fly choppers (which Marek Spanel said in an interview) etc. Anyway, with OFP being such a great game I doubt they will go away from the realistic thinking...that's like winning in lotto and then burn it before you get the money... tounge_o.gif

Garcia

No OPF2 on X-BOX. Are you making more money becouse of that? Becouse of all the GOOD addons on PC, why should anybody have it on X-BOX?

games like OFP dont deserve to be commdemend too consoles.. and, those type of games arent built for consoles ! *hear me roar* rock.gifcrazy_o.gif

I to have my doubts on Ofp xbox version's chance of succes.

Xbox has much less possibilety's than a pc version ,you cant add addon's on the xbox version ,multiplayer is probibly also a no go ,same goes for downloading mission's.

Although Xbox pads have less control possibility's i don't doubt that Bis will manage to keep controls good ,so in game i think a xbox version will be ok ,but since it's not upgradable with addon's etc i think it will come repetitive very fast.

I wonder if the mission editor will be included in the xbox version.

I want to be able to do barrel rolls and inverted spins in choppers. Maybe they can put it in the difficulty options whether you want realistic flying or arcade-like flying.

Definitely make that a seperate option. I like keeping my OFP as realistic as possible biggrin_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Maybe they can put it in the difficulty options whether you want realistic flying or arcade-like flying.

agree, but when its not possible to make two options make it seperate options indeed.

Nothing wrong with it if people have to work on their flying skillz before they get into the action.

REALISM over arcade. If it becomes another DF: BHD, or BF1942, I'll kill myself.

Quote[/b] ]REALISM over arcade. If it becomes another DF: BHD, or BF1942, I'll kill myself.

Don't do that, be productive tounge_o.gif . Kill the people who decided to make it like BS1942 wow_o.gif .

Well, I hope OFP2 keeps most of the balance between realism and arcade as seen in the current game. But I could cope with more realism. Actually alot more realism. Like Falcon 4.0 realism! tounge_o.gif

Nah, then you'd all want to be simpleton soldiers, especially if it it takes me a couple of minutes to start and warm up a Tank or Aircraft, with a fully clickable 3D cockpits and Functional MFD displays. Then I'd be the only one having all the fun. wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

I think that it will be simulation. OFP1 was simulation and OFP2 will simulation smile_o.gif

Soon as i hate tanks and choppers anyway (i can use them, i just dont like em), i'd go for a "you can SMELL the cordite" level of realism if i got the choice....perhaps just as well i dont :P

Well i dont think OPF is any kind of simulation... its a game with diferent slower paced gameplay problably because the devs thought it would fit the game and its engine better.

True for the time it was released it was alot more realistic than other games but to call it a sim would be a little too much, one could mention the inacurate modeling of weapons regarding fire rates, sounds and even designations, the weapon and equipment loadouts for soldiers, the A.I. zig zag tactic tounge_o.gif , manual fire on tanks, helos and jeeps, even the gameplay and interaction with buildings and objects (trees and other objects that we should be able to use for cover) was poorly made. Imo the only think that makes OPF more realistic than say Vietcong is the fact that you cant shoot on the move and the long range firefights, regarding the rest i think VC has much better firefights and more realistic combat.

Point is i hope they make a good balance between sim and gameplay, i want them to get rid of frag grenades and want to roll them on the floor wink_o.gif , to use cover of objects and to interact with buildings, and most of all weapons and equipment acurately modeled and based on the real thing ( AK47 with burst rock.gif , shouldnt that be on the MP5sd3 or has they call it hk tounge_o.gif ), reloadable rpg`s?, etc.

I am a big fan of this game, its engine, its huge worlds but i believe there are many flaws in it that should be fixed/improved in OPF2.