Sign in to follow this  
superskunk

Ofp2: simulation or arcade

Yeh, agreed.

One thing, its not realistic for the AI to single the player out from his squad to be killed 1st. Even when hiding in a bush not firing, they always go for the player.......get it sorted!

VC. What it?

Re: Heatseeker

I think, that in the new engine all this will be corrected.

wink_o.gif

VC= Vietcong....good game, for CQB jungle style, its an excellent game, i have to agree

I saw it on the TV, but to play it was not possible. When on new year will buy a videocard then I shall play.

Re: Pathy

And you played VC?

I saw it on the TV, but to play it was not possible. When on new year will buy a videocard then I shall play.

And you played VC?

[OT] Its great sp game with great jungle environment, you can see insects, birds, frogs, ducks and chickens tounge_o.gif , the vegetation is awsome and overall is a great jungle cqb game.

But... it does have engine probs and framerate issues so i wouldnt recomend it if you have a slower pc[/OT].

I would really like to be able to use cover like VC in OPF2 and to see the a.i. use it too and to remain in cover when under supressive fire.

Well. I necessarily must play in VC! smile_o.gif

Ou. Yes. Its true biggrin_o.gif . Sory.

Re: All

As to we my English?

tounge_o.gif

Hm.. Vc cool game. Textures of the face very good.

In Vc, all game in jungle?

i hope they'll keep Flashpoint 2 as realistic, no Conflict Desert Storm style plz!Also, i think BIS should restrict vehicle driving to NPC only. Infantry parts are OFP at it's best.

i hope they'll keep Flashpoint 2 as realistic, no Conflict Desert Storm style plz!Also, i think BIS should restrict vehicle driving to NPC only. Infantry parts are OFP at it's best.

Desert Storm was in 1991 not in the 70's.

So i dont think we have to see a repeatment on this conflict.

Maybe Arab-Israel conflict maybe.

Hm.. Vc cool game. Textures of the face very good.

In Vc, all game in jungle?

Except for a few missions in the VC tunnel network, the camp your base of ops is in and a few villages yes.

Theres 2 non-jungle MP maps, Halong Port and NVA base, both are fun.

Desert Storm was in 1991 not in the 70's.

So i dont think we have to see a repeatment on this conflict.

Maybe Arab-Israel conflict maybe.

I think he meant Conflict Desert Storm game, which was totally unrealistic arcade type...

Restricting vehicle driving to NPC only? One of the worst idea I've seen here so far! That's what I love about Flashpoint - absolute freedom, you can do what you like! If you like infantry fights only, then simply don't use any vehicles! wink_o.gif

Sry ag_smith. And I totally agree that Conflict Desert Storm

was a real mess. Worst game ever..

perhaps they could have a command that limits infantry to only driving trucks and jeeps. Then on MP or anyone who makes one of these Rambo/James bond/Terminator missions. You can turn off the limiter and get in choppers and tanks etc and run around in them

Well i dont think OPF is any kind of simulation... its a game with diferent slower paced gameplay problably because the devs thought it would fit the game and its engine better.

True for the time it was released it was alot more realistic than other games but to call it a sim would be a little too much

All games are entertainment-oriented simulations.

It just happens that OFP is a more realistic simulation of combat than BF1942 or MoH or any other arcadish games.

I personally believe there is virtually no chance that OFP2 will be any less realistic than OFP1, let alone another BF-type game. BIS has built up a reputation of realism (despite only 1 and a half releases) and any deviation from this expectation will be to their detriment. Sure, they might pick up fans from of the more arcadish genres, but from what I've heard the guys at BIS pride themselves on their reputation, and I don't think they want to alienate their existing fans/community.

All BIS really has to do to improve realism is fix a few key areas (ie. engine limitations, graphics, physics) - if these are improved in OFP2, the game's potential will be exponentially enhanced. smile_o.gif

If OFP2 is as successful as the original, I don't see why it shouldn't be ported to a console. More money to BIS = better games in the future. OFP2 will be developed first and foremost for the PC, not the X-Box, so a later port to the console will not affect the realism of the PC version.

Also, i think BIS should restrict vehicle driving to NPC only. Infantry parts are OFP at it's best.

Sure, OFP's infantry element is it's strong point (being the most realistic), but why eliminate use of vehicles? Sacrificing one element won't necessarily make the others stronger...

Like ag_smith said, the ability to use vehicles isan integral part of OFP's magic - the ability to improvise, to take part in all sorts of situations...

Sim only!! OFP is the only Sim....everything else is arcade. So why join the crowd, where the market is already flooded?

The player should be able to steer all vehicles. To avoid that every noob can cause a havoc with every tank , heli  or plane he comes across these vehicles should be simulated more realistic. If you train enough you can control all vehicles...

With the AI it should be a different matter. They should be restricted in their ability to steer vehicles. I never liked it that every medic hunter or whatever can perfectly steer a plane or heli....

In easy mode it should still be the way we have it now! So everyone should be happy!

hmmmmmm, OFP definitely is NOT a sim. If it is, why didnt they USMC jus get OFP rather than asking them to make VBS1? anyway, I think that the player shouldnt be limited by their skills, and if U limit the Ai, it would make the campaign and such seem ALOT harder

I guess the term simulation is relative...

It´s about what can be done to make it real live like and what is left out to make it easier to play.

To me it seems BIS did the best it could trying to make the engine real live like. Remember it is the first game featuring controllable air-sea-ground vehicles. They did not have unlimited time and money so they had to dumb down some aspects. There are some minor design decisions made that could have been more realistic but where introduced due to game play reasons for example the very limited grenade load out of the grenadiers.

To me it seems like BIS leaned more towards simulation if you compare it to other games. To make it accessible to more players the easy mode is included.

I hope they continue this way and make the engine as realistic as possible. You can still have a game that is fun to play it just depends on the mission makers! (fun is a relative term too like some people would not mind to play missions where nothing is happening just because it can be realistic others have to confront 100+ enemies to have fun...)

A good realistic engine could still be made more accessible with easy settings.

Concerning VBS1 if you read the VBS1 topic you will find out that it does not differ a lot from OFP. The Marines choose OFP because it can simulate "some" aspects of the real deal.

smile_o.gif

Well I hope they incoorparate it in settings , as in

having one mode that is like OPF and another one that is class specific...meaning you can only fly if your a pilot and so on .

In real life, anyone can use any type of vehicle, it just depends on their knowledge of the controls and how to use them to greatest affect.

I think a pilot would know how to drive a car, dont you?

(calls taxi)