Sign in to follow this  
Powerslide

Saving jessica lynch

What a load of shit. America is still at war over there and they show this embelished, overhyped and highly inaccurate portrayal of one American "hero" on TV already, long before anything has ceased over in Iraq. What about the 34 men dead in the incidents last week, some no more then 19 years old? Where is their TV show of heroism, what about their mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, their children. I can't believe she is getting rich off of this, where is the honor? I am sure she endured hell, no question, but I firmly disagree with the TV networks and the propaganda machine to rally the people. Corpses are still cooling in Iraq and they romanticize one incident? Lousy hollywood garbage. Still waiting for the TV show of the WMD, but I won't be watching this.

Vote with your remote control: turn that shit off.

edit: I'm watching the Ravens-Rams game, myself.

I plan to watch it, just to see how awful it is. I to agree, comeon people, young kids are coming home in body bags and all we can do is praise a young women that she came home. She like powerslide said endured alot of pain and suffering, but what about those Marines who lie on the battlefield mangled and dead?

Comeon America, get with the picture...

I and my Father are. You should hear all the cursing and mumbling coming from him.

Even though its a disgrace, I'm pretty impressed that they held back abit on the "heroism". She gave up her gun, seeing as she's stuck in the cab and unable to defend herself(from squeels and near screaming).

What actually gets my goat is that the actress playing lynch is from Halifax, Nova Scotia.

My brain is rotting just from watching it.

Sounds like fun crazy_o.gif

Feh, her gun jammed and she got captured, whoop de doo. Even Jessica Kynch herself dissaproves of the movie.

Feh, her gun jammed and she got captured, whoop de doo.  

She's 19, pretty, in a uniform, and capture by the super evil Iraqi army.

What more could the press ask for? She was the perfect base for a propagandic report.

If it was a male, ugly, and trained. Well, no one gives a damn. Why do you think you never heard about those other POW's? They got rescued, but where they in a movie? Nein.

NBC made the movie without consulting Lynch or anyone related. so there you go. I think it took less than a month and half to make it.

Just to increase my sarcasm, and yours,

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Saving_Jessica_Lynch/

Quote[/b] ]This dramatic and inspiring NBC movie is based on the true story behind the ambush of the 507th Maintenance Company, and the dramatic rescue of Pfc. Jessica Lynch, an American prisoner of war in Iraq. With the help and official story rights of Mohammed Al Rehaief, the Iraqi citizen who risked his own life to aid Lynch, the film follows Lynch’s heroic rescue on April 1, 2003. Her story of heroism provided hope to the nation and the world and proved an example of triumph despite great odds and affliction.

Executive-produced by Dan Paulson ("Passenger 57," "A Cooler Climate") and Bob Chmiel (Emmy Award nominee "A Gift of Love"), the movie stars Laura Regan ("They") in the title role as Pfc. Jessica Lynch. The production is from Daniel L. Paulson Productions in association with NBC Studios.

Weren't her squad overwhelmed because they were a bunch of screw-ups who didn't maintain their equipment properly? Some hero - she got captured and lay in hospital until some properly trained soldiers came and got her. Reminds me of the Simpson's episode where Bart fakes a kid trapped in a well:

Quote[/b] ]

Homer: That Timmy is a real hero!

Lisa: How do you mean, Dad?

Homer: Well, he fell down a well, and... he can't get out.

Lisa: How does that make him a hero?

Homer: Well, that's more than you did!

The one soldier who apparently did something constructive (Silver Star recipient) during the ambush got a little airtime on 60 Minutes a bit earlier. I remember him saying something to the effect that his rifle was in such bad shape from a maintenance standpoint that he had to hit his forward assist several times between shots just to get the weapon to function properly. What kind of unit goes into a combat situation with dirty rifles? And these soldiers were mechanics, supposedly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the poor woman went through hell. They were trained to pump fuel, not to fight. Can't blame them I guess, I feel awful sorry for the ones that didn't make it though. It's a real slap in the face to those that didn't make it that day, and to their families, a f*cking disgrace. It's also a slap in the face to the American people in general. TV like this exists on the same level as Jerry Springer.

Don't blame the soldiers.  Often the reason for the weapons jamming is because they are not maintained properly by the unit armorer often because of lack of funding.  My old Reserve unit had a huge problem getting funds to have weapons repaired.  It just was not a priority even though those weapons are what they'd take into combat with them.  One of the biggest problems was that our .50 cal never got repaired and we were always borrowing someone else's .50 cal for doing heavy weapons qualification.  

So it's usually either a problem with funds or a problem with a Supply Sgt./unit armorer who is not doing their job.  

Even my old Reserve unit was trained well enough to make sure that weapons were well maintained by the soldiers themselves.  So jamming wasn't a big problem except with the M249 SAW's when they got mud or sand in them.  Those need constant cleaning in places with alot of sand.  But the maintanance units probably just had older M16A2 rifles and probably not even any M203's or M249 SAWs.  Those latter two weapons can make a HUGE difference in a firefight.  The M203 especially is an extremely effective weapon for clearing out concentrations of enemy soldiers.  The sound of those grenades exploding is enough to shake the confidence of any opponent when he starts hearing those exploding near his position.   Likewise if they had even one Mk-19 mounted on a vehicle it may have saved their asses.  But those aren't normally issued to support units.  But as this Iraq war demonstrates, there are no front lines and every soldier can become an infantryman.  It demonstrates the need for all soldiers to be proficient in basic infantry skills, weapons, and tactics.  

But back to this movie.   I watched it this evening and overall I thought that while they hyped it up like crazy, it was fairly realistic.  I missed the firefight at the beginning though and just saw the rescue part.  The scenes of the Delta Force guys clearing the hospital seemed estremely realistic.  I think they probably had real SWAT or Delta Force people acting that part because they really nailed the tactics and formations all the way down to the way they held their rifles and the manner in which they walked.  

The movie also had some beautiful music and some really skillful cinematography that actually surprised me.  Some of the shots of the blackhawks flying at sunset were just breathtaking.  I have to admit it really made me miss being in the Army especially as my old unit is getting sent off to fight and I'm not there to look after my boys (the younger guys who were in my platoon).  

I don't believe in this war.  I think it's a pathetic waste of human life and based on a bunch of lies in order to control oil.  Even worse Bush based his justification for this war upon the tragedy of 9/11 even though no connection has been found between Saddam and 9/11.     But a soldier can not decide who and where they fight.  They fight for each other if the cause is FUBAR.   So even if the movie is overhyped, I hope that at least it causes people to pause and remember the brave men and women who risk their lives in order to fullfill some asshole's political ambitions for himself and his oil buddies.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

What gets me pissed off is how they consider her the hero. Yea i agree she went through alot but how about the guys who went in and rescued her. Those guys deserve more credit.

just saw the ambush part, was going to skip rescue operation part, but after reading Miles' post, might watch the resue part just for entertainment value. when does that come out?

back to the movie.

AAARRRRGGHHHH!! crazy_o.gif  crazy_o.gif  mad_o.gif

I fucking know that making the movie on a small budget is not an easy task, and i'm well aware that the movie was not made with the reports in mind, but for fucking sake can't they get anything right? mad_o.gif

AFAIK, the used cars were all domestic ones, tounge_o.gif inlusding the bus that supposedly blocked the return path.

and the silver star recipient Tex mentioned, AFAIK, was moving to front from middle of convoy to see if he can find a unit to drive rest of the team off, and when he could not find it, but instead saw some mortar getting deployed, took down 6 Iraqis around the mortar pit until he was captured.

and AFAIK, most got out of their vehicles and took cover under truck and fired from that position. I'm not sure if Shoshana just stood their idlely and get shot in the leg, but AFAIK, she was under the 5t.

edit: i must admit that they had disclaimer in the beginning of the movie. blues.gif

Feh, her gun jammed and she got captured, whoop de doo.  

She's 19, pretty, in a uniform, and capture by the super evil Iraqi army.

What more could the press ask for? She was the perfect base for a propagandic report.

If it was a male, ugly, and trained. Well, no one gives a damn. Why do you think you never heard about those other POW's? They got rescued, but where they in a movie? Nein.

What pisses me off is that she gets a movie because she is the all American blonde haired blue eyed girl. What about Laurie Piestewa, the native american girl from my home state of Arizona. She died in that incident for Christ sakes and she doesn't get a movie because she's got brown skin and a name thats hard to pronounce. Only in the fu%*ing U.S.A. does this kind of crap even get made. Just friggin lovely. Glorify the dippy blonde who couldn't even manage to keep her gun clean enough for it to fire one round without jamming.

just saw the rescue part, and must admit that CQB part was nicely done. rest, eh......

spent about an hour going through my statistical work until i turned on to watch rescue part. i don't know which one is worse. tounge_o.gif

I would not blame her, she's only being pragmatic. "Do you want a million dollars? -Yeah sure why not."

I would have taken the deal too. So who's to blame for this piece of crap? The media? Hardly, they only show what people want to see.

It's your fault - those of you that watched the show and improved its ratings. Congratulations, you have done your part for the war effort by supporting the production of cheap and trivial propaganda. Expect to see more of it.

Don't blame the soldiers.  Often the reason for the weapons jamming is because they are not maintained properly by the unit armorer often because of lack of funding.  My old Reserve unit had a huge problem getting funds to have weapons repaired.  It just was not a priority even though those weapons are what they'd take into combat with them.  One of the biggest problems was that our .50 cal never got repaired and we were always borrowing someone else's .50 cal for doing heavy weapons qualification.  

So it's usually either a problem with funds or a problem with a Supply Sgt./unit armorer who is not doing their job.  

That is no excuse. None at all. Keeping your weapon clean and functioning is the number one priority of every soldier. It does not matter if he is a green beret or plays the trombone in an army band. And if the soldiers don't know that then it's criminal negligence on the part of their commanidng officers and the place where they were trained.

What about Laurie Piestewa, the native american girl from my home state of Arizona.  She died in that incident for Christ sakes and she doesn't get a movie because she's got brown skin and a name thats hard to pronounce.

I think you're jumping the gun here.

Lynch got a movie because a rescue operation with great fictitious publicity and fanfare took place.

Let's pretend that it was Lynch that died and Piestewa was rescued in the same fashion. Are you claiming the same wouldn't have been done for her? If so, I totally disagree.

FYI, the ratings are not tabulated unless you are one of those participants in Nielsen ratings and other ratings agency.

i guess yesterday's loss in ice hockey is putting you in bad mood. tounge_o.gif

What gets me pissed off is how they consider her the hero. Yea i agree she went through alot but how about the guys who went in and rescued her. Those guys deserve more credit.

Lynch herself has said that in recent interviews. For example, in this article, she said "My heroes are Lori (Pfc. Lori Piestewa), the soldiers that are over there, the soldiers that were in that car beside me, the ones that came and rescued me."

That is no excuse. None at all. Keeping your weapon clean and functioning is the number one priority of every soldier. It does not matter if he is a green beret or plays the trombone in an army band. And if the soldiers don't know that then it's criminal negligence on the part of their commanidng officers and the place where they were trained.

Yeah, even in the finnish army we had to clean our rifles and mortars all the time. And we were not in a war. I cannot imagine how much cleaning would be done if there was actual combat.

Besides, I would be totally jumpy if i knew my weapon might not function in a combat situation.

FYI, the ratings are not tabulated unless you are one of those participants in Nielsen ratings and other ratings agency.

And you represent a category of viewers that don't buy the story but are curious. I'm sure that you're not the only one in the US of A who watched it for those reasons. So that cluster is bound to be picked up by the ratings agencies as well.

Quote[/b] ]i guess yesterday's loss in ice hockey is putting you in bad mood. tounge_o.gif

No, not at all. I'm not in a bad mood, I just find it hilarious how you whine about the media producing something like this when you in practice actively support it. If you watch the show then they have succeeded, because that's all they wanted in the first place.

so in other words, you are saying that someone should not know about(or face) something just becuase of what the object/subject is. but than again, if you don't know it, how can you make comments about it? wink_o.gif

again, from practical perspective, my watching is not tabulated into nielsen ratings or so. the gruop that you say i'm in might watch, but also might not watch.

and denoir, denial is not good for you. it is ok to admit that Sweden lost another ice hockey match tounge_o.gif