Sign in to follow this  
andersson

Backpack

Sorry for going OT now, but walker how's it going with CoC's artillery scripts?

In which ways is the backpack not compatible with MP?

Wow. Just wrote my first full scale (3 hours long!) mission using the Tonal Island and backpack. Wicked. As I go along I collect the best left overs from the battlefield and assign one geezer to carry it. As long as your forward recon is good, you can spot a situation, pullback and re-arm your squad accordingly..

Sound good.....going to make it available? smile_o.gif

Would love to but...

You would need a list of addons as long as this page stored on your computer... I get very addon-happy in my missions which means that no-one else can play them.

smile_o.gif

You would need a list of addons as long as this page stored on your computer... I get very addon-happy in my missions which means that no-one else can play them.

smile_o.gif

Hehe just like JAP.. wink_o.gif

Hi all

Andersson's Back Pack with zip file link

To help Andersson and because this is the kind of project CoC likes to work on we asked Andersson if he would like us to mirror this and provide him with webspace to develop the project. Because some people were having problems with the .rar file we have put it up in zip form. We know the addon is popular so can other people please mirror the zip file as well.

We also asked if he would like to work with us on some projects he said yes so we hope we can look forward to more inovative developments from him.

Kind Regards Walker

well its both good and bad now it can be made better but it will also come in a Binarzied version and problery you would have to ask permission to use things from it. I like that he has released it as it is cause every disent addon make would mention him in the readme if they used somthing's from his addon. sad_o.gif

STGN

Hi all

Andersson's Back Pack with zip file link

To help Andersson and because this is the kind of project CoC likes to work on we asked Andersson if he would like us to mirror this and provide him with webspace to develop the project. Because some people were having problems with the .rar file we have put it up in zip form. We know the addon is popular so can other people please mirror the zip file as well.

We also asked if he would like to work with us on some projects he said yes so we hope we can look forward to more inovative developments from him.

Kind Regards Walker

well its both good and bad now it can be made better but it will also come in a Binarzied version and problery you would have to ask permission to use things from it. I like that he has released it as it is cause every disent addon make would mention him in the readme if they used somthing's from his addon. sad_o.gif

STGN

Well, if you don't like asking permission just use the old version ey? And CoC makes stuff to benefit the community, you don't have to ask permission to use their diving system. All you have to do is mention them in the readme. The same with their torpedoes. So don't worry mate.

Pretty much, and unless Andy wants to binarize the addon we always release our projects open source. You have to get permission for commercial purposes, or modification for release purposes. For regular missions and campaigns you simply should not take credit falsely, but you do not have to ask permission. smile_o.gif

EDIT: Progress on the UA is good, important tests are taking place, CTD will likely be resolved. smile_o.gif

Hi STGN

I hope this will alay some of your fears:

well its both good and bad now it can be made better

There are a couple of areas we hope we can help with the project

*Invoking the script with out resort to editor init line

*Spoofing system and model to remove the need to hide the crate underground

*auto crate spoofing single object set up

*Object register to remove the need for multiple script instances perhaps (but may be MP issues)

but it will also come in a Binarzied version and problery you would have to ask permission to use things from it.

*It is CoC policy to make notice of the copyright on everything we do. We then issue an EULA and Readme that alters these rights.

*It is current CoC policy to not only release a pbo version but also an un-pbo-ed version.

*It is current CoC policy to release full doccumentation on how to use, edit and MOD our work.

*It is current CoC policy to allow non commercial use of CoC products no permmision needed but say you used it.

*It is current CoC policy that those who wish to MOD our work ask first. We usualy give a helping hand when they do.

*It is current CoC policy that if you sell our work we want a cut blues.gif

I like that he has released it as it is cause every disent addon make would mention him in the readme if they used somthing's from his addon. sad_o.gif

STGN

And if you look; that is the way it is on the CoC site and in the readme nothing altered.

It is released as the developer wanted it.  That has always been CoC policy too  wink_o.gif

Will that change?  rock.gif I don't know.

The CoC is curently a Not for Profit collective of scripters, addon makers and mission designers engaged in research in to how the Current OFP engine can be maximised and what are its limits. Part of the way it helps CoC developers is by protecting their rights.

Will we ever be a for profit organisation? Who can tell. If you can read the future please pm me the next few months Lotto numbers so I can use the money to make the world a better place. biggrin_o.gif

Kind Regards Walker

In which ways is the backpack not compatible with MP? (Today.)

Or aren't there any MP problems? I thought I read there was.

Jinef said first that there was MP-problems but corrected himself later so I dont think there is.

I have no experience in MP so I havent a clue if there can be problems or not.

Oh, great - this is so made for long-range jungle coops.

I can't seem to take weapons or ammo out of the backpack if i start the mission in a vehichle. Has this happend to anyone else?

id just like to c this backpack redone or properly finished

plz

the author was very kind and humble about permission to finish this addon

so n e 1 willing to finish or has improved the back pack plz release it

this addon is very good but has a few bugs that need fixing

like when u store 20 mags of ammo and take it out and pick up the backpack again the ammo is still seen on the ground but cant be picked up

this a very inovative addon and jam most likely will not implement this so i call on experienced or advanced scripting addon makers to polish this addon up

thank u to the addon maker andersson for ur great addon

you truly made a mark with this new innovation

i hope coc would finish this and implement it

wink_o.gif

I've been working on version of this backpack that requires no additional scripting, and has no limitations on the number of backpacks you can have in-game.

There's still a big issue with it, and I don't have the time to look into it right now. By dumping my idea here, I hope that someone else will pick up where I left off.

Here's he basic idea:

Have an invisible model track the backpack's every move. The invisible model steers a visible model, which holds the content of the backpack.

Because crates can't be picked up, a custom action "pickup" initiates a set of actions, resulting in the visible model stored away in a safe spot, a backpack "weapon" added to the player and the player being followed around by the invisible model.

When the weapon model would disappear from the inventory, we could assume the weapon was dropped. BUT: there is no way of knowing if it was dropped or put in a vehicle, resulting in the invisible model losing track of its weapon counterpart.

To work around this, I made the weapon undroppable, and added a custom action "drop". This action will result in the weapon model being removed and the visible backpack being put at the feet of the player again.

Create 4 models:

- an invisible "body-less" model, with a custom animation (also invisible - it's only purpose is functioning as a "memory")

- the model of a backpack as ammo-crate class

- the model of a backpack as weapon class

- the model of a destroyed backpack as weapon class

In the config.cpp, define the folowing properties:

- the invisible model executes backpackscript.sqs from the INIT EH, and name it whatever you want in whichever vehicleclass you want. Name the custom animation "logic". Add action EH "drop backpack" on the condition that the animationstate is 1, and the action should animate logic to 0.

- define the ammo-crate classed model as "protected", so it cannot be placed from the mission-editor.

- for both weapon classed versions set "candrop=false", and make sure they are nothing more that dummy weapons.

The backpackscript

Let the backpack script do the following:

- create an ammo-crate classed backpack

#label loop

- move the invisible model 2m under its original position

- setpos, setdir, setvelocity, setdammage etc. the visible model to the position 2m over of the invisible model (which is the invisible model's original position)

- add custom action "Pickup_backpack.sqs" to the invisible object

#label wait

- setpos, setdir, setvelocity, setdammage etc. the invisible model to -2m under the position of the visible model.

- if animationstate does not equal 0, goto label wait

(the invisible model will now follow each move the visible model makes, until its animationstate ecomes )

- move the visible model to position [0,0,-1*random 1024]

- remove the custom action from the invisible model

- @s soon as the animationstate == 0,

- goto label loop

The Pickup_backpack script

- store the current dammage of the invisible model in _DAMAGEMEMORY

- exit immediately if the unit performing the action already hasweapon backpack

- addweapon backpack, either the "damaged" or "undamaged" weapon model, depending on the damage the invisible model has sustained (remember, it replicates the visible model's damage in backpack.sqs)

- check if the unit now hasweapon backpack. If not, he must have already had some other rocketlauncher on his back. Exit immediately if that is the case.

- animate the "logic" animation of the invisible model to 1. This will communicate the fact that the backpack ha been picked up to the backpack.sqs.

#label carryloop

- if the unit is in a vehicle of some sort OR the player is at a position higher than 0.5m above the ground, place the invisible model in a safe spot, for example [0,0,_somerandomspot], and goto the label loopskip.

(This will prevent nasty problems with vehicles)

- if the player no longer hasweapon backpack: set the logic animationstate to 0, setpos the invisible object to the player pos end exit immediately. We have set candrop=false in the config.cpp, remember? This means we just struck an issue in the OFP engine! Read more about this in the next section.

- setpos the invisible model -0.5m under the player

- setdir the invisible model to the direction of the player

#label skiploop

- if the animationstate does not equal 0, goto label carryloop.

- restore the original damage from _DAMAGEMEMORY to the invisible model

- set the invisible object to the direction, speed an position of the unit

- exit

Issues

Obviously, we are talking about weapon crates, so this backpack can only be taken with you into a vehicle, but not put into a vehicle's weaponcargo.

You may wonder why I'm using a addaction for the "pick up" script. This is because to my knowledge, the action eventhandlers do not return WHO executes them, but the addaction version does.

The one BIG ISSUE is that the "candrop=false" in the config.cpp does not address a situation where you can pickup and drop weapons at the same time. Even though "candrop=false", you still can "pickup RPG (drop backpack)".

This will result in a situation where the script loses track of the weapon, and cannot remove it from the game anymore. There will be a backpack-ammocrate and dummy weapon lying near eachother. Should the player pick up the dummy-weapon, he cannot drop it, but also will he not have the custom action available with which he can the backpack.

If this can be solved, we will have the perfect OFP backpack!

Sory walker I diden't know that.

Mattjhis what if the player picks up the backpack and not the GUN and would that mean that you would not be able to carry a LAW/RPG in the Bag whit out droppiong the back when you use the LAW.

STGN

Sory walker I diden't know that.

Mattjhis what if the player picks up the backpack and not the GUN and would that mean that you would not be able to carry a LAW/RPG in the Bag whit out droppiong the back when you use the LAW.

STGN

"...picks up the backpack and not the gun...", I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Rifles have no influence on the backpack, as the backpack weapon-model takes the rocketlauncher slot. Picking up a rocket launcher will still result in problems. Is this what you mean?

Indeed, you would HAVE to drop the bag, to be able to use the LAW, as there is no space for a (another) rocketlauncher on the model, when carrying the backpack. I think it's no problem in respect to realism, to drop the pack first. Backpacks are the first thing to go off during a contact anyway.

Maybe it would be possible to create an extra proxy on the unit model, but currently I wouldn't know how - if at all possible. Also, it would mean there's no backwards compatability with current units.

The advantage of a backpack proxy would be that the rocketlauncher would not have to be carried IN the backpacks. I think its not realistic anyway to put rifles or rocketlaunchers in the pack. It should only hold mags, grenades, and small stuff like mess tins, socks, underwear etc.

This will result in a situation where the script loses track of the weapon, and cannot remove it from the game anymore. There will be a backpack-ammocrate and dummy weapon lying near eachother. Should the player pick up the dummy-weapon, he cannot drop it, but also will he not have the custom action available with which he can the backpack.

Well I don't understand what you mean whit this

STGN

Well I don't understand what you mean whit this

STGN

I want to remove a weapon from the game, as soon as a unit drops it. AFAIK, that's not possible.

If anyone finds a way, I'd be most interested.

Hi everybody.

Is any new models being worked on to do with this back pack?

I would like to know if anybody is implementing this into any units addon.

Thanks.

Any updates on this? Is there a mp compatible version somewhere? No need for all the fancy healing stuff etc. that was discussed, just a working backpack for mp games. Would be nice to have! smile_o.gif

Any updates on this? Is there a mp compatible version somewhere? No need for all the fancy healing stuff etc. that was discussed, just a working backpack for mp games. Would be nice to have! smile_o.gif

"If this can be solved...", and I'm sorry to say this, but it's not solved.

I'll pick up on stuff for CoC after releasing the Diemaco pack.

Offtopic: the Diemaco pack will have over 100 variants and, if I may say so, they are looking/sounding very good ...  wow_o.gif