Sign in to follow this  
andersson

Backpack

I know of some people that are working on backpacks, some of them on scripts also. But I really dont know so much about their work.

I put my trust in Matthijs smile_o.gif as I have limited knowledge in scripting.

I havent checked out or worked on this backpack but I believe I know what its all about.

I'm also curious about adding another proxy, I'd like to make a handheld gps and was thinking along using the pistol slot or adding a new proxy,so I may attempt that test soon

I know it will work actually,not that it will work like the other proxies but at worst case you could just hide/unhide the item like a hidden selection.

Correct in assuming that it would have to be a new soldier model

Why not just keep track of the people using the backpack?

At the beginning of the mission, you could check the weapons of all units on the map and see if any of them have the backpack. The mission designer would designate the weapons to be put in the backpacks of certain units, referencing the unit itself.

Instead of using an invisible model and such, you would constantly check to see if the unit has dropped his backpack (like in the new Chain of Command Unified Artillery used in conjunction with addon radios)

You would then get the position of the unit and put your weapon holder there. (whether it be crate, invisible model with cargo capacity, whatever)

Instead of keeping track of the weapon itself, you could keep track of the unit using it.

You also might want to take a look into the way CoC UA checks for radio objects and see what you can gather from that. Walker, could you explain how this is done?

Why not just keep track of the people using the backpack?

At the beginning of the mission, you could check the weapons of all units on the map and see if any of them have the backpack. The mission designer would designate the weapons to be put in the backpacks of certain units, referencing the unit itself.

Instead of using an invisible model and such, you would constantly check to see if the unit has dropped his backpack (like in the new Chain of Command Unified Artillery used in conjunction with addon radios)

You would then get the position of the unit and put your weapon holder there. (whether it be crate, invisible model with cargo capacity, whatever)

Instead of keeping track of the weapon itself, you could keep track of the unit using it.

You also might want to take a look into the way CoC UA checks for radio objects and see what you can gather from that. Walker, could you explain how this is done?

Erm, first of all: http://www.website.thechainofcommand.net/Matthijs.htm

Yes, keeping track of a man's position it exactly what the script does (or can dofor that matter). That's also exacly it's shortcoming!

The invisible vehicle's main function is only to be used as the container, as weapons can't hold anything. The rest is just for nice extras.

The big problem with backpacks vs. other portable equipment, is that there is also a content that has to match with the position of the backpack (not with the wearer). I know of no way to let OFP scripts distinguish between "drop" and "put to vehicle". If I had that, there would be no problem.

Imagine:

- you put your backpack in a vehicle

> the script thinks you dropped your backpack then and there.

- your buddy puts his backpack in another vehicle

> the script thinks he dropped his backpack then and there.

- You each drive off in one (at random) of those vehicles to a random position.

> any script will be oblivious to this. You just move away from where you "dropped" your backpacks.

- Both of you get out of the vehicles and pick up a backpack from the vehicles cargo.

> And the script sees 2 backpack being picked up at the new positions. What the hell? 2 new backpacks? Or are these the 2 backpacks dropped earlier? Which one is which?

Guest RKSL-Rock

Lo Guys,

Andersson has already seen this...

I've replaced his original models and textures with a British Military PLCE Bergen. There is a pic attached.

The texture mapping isn't particularly brilliant (I'm still getting to grips with O2) and the Shoulder straps aren't in the right position yet but I thought I'd share it.

You can download it from HERE

RKSL-PLCE.jpg

All feedback is welcome.

Nice. The badge is a bit prominent though. I use Bibmi's Marines a lot

When I tried to run the demo, I got this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">No Entry Config.bin/CfgVehicles.RKSL_BPcrate

Guest RKSL-Rock
Quote[/b] ]Nice. The badge is a bit prominent though. I use Bibmi's Marines a lot

smile_o.gif  Its a bit of "flag waving" on my part.  Its an actual photo of one of my bergens.  I used that one for travelling around rather than field use.

I'm working on a DPM, Desert and BLACK skin for it.  Give me some time and you can have any any of the regular colours.

I'm also planning a small Daysack combined with a load vest but there are a few things I need to work out first.

Quote[/b] ]When I tried to run the demo, I got this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">No Entry Config.bin/CfgVehicles.RKSL_BPcrate

You must have been quick downloading it!  I uploaded the wrong file it took me an hour to realise and replaced the zipfile with the a corrected one.

If you download it again you will get the corrected files.  Sorry.

Is there a mp compatible version somewhere?

So andy-backpack isn't mp compatible after all? rock.gif I heard it was.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Well I've tested it...

Using the demo mission, there is a problem in MP.

There are 2 bergens provided on the tables.

Each player takes a pack but the other players still sees the bergen other players bergen still on the table.

Anyone...?

I forgot, I have the same problem (not only on the demo mission).