Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

War against terror

Quote[/b] ]TERRORISM ALERT IN FRANCE

Paris, France - 24 March 2005

AP and UPI have just reported that the French Government announced - yesterday - that it has raised its Terror Alert Level from "Run" to "Hide." That leaves only two higher Terror Alert Levels in France, and they are "Surrender" and "Collaborate."

The raise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent fire in the small Village of 'Sans Courage.'

The fire ultimately destroyed France's White Flag factory, effectively disabling their Military.

This made me laugh first time i read it lol.

Hahah that belongs in the Military humour thread though , nice find biggrin_o.gif .

AP and UPI have just reported that the French Government announced - yesterday - that it has raised its Terror Alert Level from "Run" to "Hide." That leaves only two higher Terror Alert Levels in France, and they are "Surrender" and "Collaborate."

The raise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent fire in the small Village of 'Sans Courage.'

The fire ultimately destroyed France's White Flag factory, effectively disabling their Military.

Oddly enough, I didn't find this funny... go figure ...

wink_o.gif

What ingenuity, the billionth joke about France in this forum, top marks for ingenuity and creativity mate xmas_o.gif

Honestly mate, it's getting boring. Cut it out please smile_o.gif

Flaming/Flamebaiting are not acceptable on these forums, sad, cheap, unoriginal jokes about one nation's military are considered flaming/flamebaiting here, continue such a train of thought and receive PR/WL+ accordingly.

I'd like to see anyone repeat such a "joke" to the face of Ran or any other current/former French soldier.

Please dont get anoyed if I ask this question..

Assuming Bush sees the war on teror as an opportunity to push forward his "global politics"! Wouldnt then capturing Bin Laden actually have a negative impact?

A threat called Bin Laden, just like the former threat of communism, increases public support at home for further actions. Also, people rather accept a higher budgets to be allocated for the "war on teror". A captured Bin Laden could lead to a reduced sense of insecurity... and support could shrink.

Just a theory. what do you think?

I think he just wants people to forget about Bin Laden, he dosen't really need a face at this point anyway I dont think, Al-queda or Islamic Fundamentalism as a whole does just as well.

A captured Bin-Laden would be a pretty impressive P.R coup, presumably he'd get the death sentance in the U.S, not very likley to make other Islamic fundamentalists happy.

Muslim Man Convicted of Urging Holy War

Quote[/b] ]By MATTHEW BARAKAT, Associated Press Writer

ALEXANDRIA, Va. - An Islamic scholar who prosecutors said enjoyed "rock star" status among a group of young Muslim men in Virginia was convicted Tuesday of exhorting his followers in the days after Sept. 11 to join the Taliban and fight U.S. troops.

The convictions against Ali al-Timimi, 41, carry a mandatory minimum sentence of life in prison without parole. But the judge left open the possibility that she will toss out some of the counts.

The jury reached its verdict after seven days of deliberations and convicted al-Timimi of all 10 counts.

Prosecutors said the defendant — a native U.S. citizen who has an international following in some Muslim circles — wielded enormous influence among a group of young Muslim men in northern Virginia who played paintball games in 2000 and 2001 as a means of training for holy war around the globe.

Five days after Sept. 11, al-Timimi addressed a small group of his followers in a secret meeting and warned that the attacks were a harbinger of a final apocalyptic battle between Muslims and non-believers. He said they were required as Muslims to defend the Taliban from a looming U.S. invasion, according to the government.

While nobody ever joined the Taliban, four of the defendant's followers subsequently traveled to Pakistan in late September 2001 and trained with a militant group called Lashkar-e-Taiba.

Three of them testified that their intention had been to use the training they received from the group to join the Taliban and fight in Afghanistan, and that it was al-Timimi's speech that inspired them to do so.

The evidence included a 2003 e-mail in which al-Timimi described the Columbia shuttle disaster as "a good omen" that "Western supremacy (especially that of America) that began 500 years ago is coming to an end, God willing."

"By his treasonous criminal acts, he has proven himself to be a kingpin of hate against America," U.S. Attorney Paul McNulty said in a statement. "He not only wanted Americans to die, he recruited others to his cause at a time when our country was mourning the loss of more than 3,000 people who were murdered in a heinous act of terrorism."

The three followers who testified against al-Timimi have all struck plea bargains, and the defense contended they were lying in the hopes that prosecutors will reduce their sentences.

Al-Timimi's lawyers also disputed the notion that the men were his followers and contended that he merely suggested migration to a Muslim nation because it might be difficult to practice Islam in the U.S. after Sept. 11.

Finally, the defense contended the prosecution of al-Timimi was an assault on his religious and free-speech rights.

Al-Timini was convicted of charges including soliciting others to levy war against the United States and inducing others to use firearms in violation of federal law. The firearms convictions require mandatory life imprisonment.

Defense lawyer Edward MacMahon said, "Obviously we're disappointed in the verdict. We'll file a motion to set aside the verdict and to request a new trial."

Judge Leonie Brinkema agreed to allow al-Timimi to remain free on bond pending his sentencing in July. Prosecutors had argued that federal law required the judge to immediately revoke bond when convicted of such serious charges, but Brinkema said the law allows her discretion "when there is a reasonable basis for reversal" of the convictions on some counts.

Al-Timimi last year obtained a Ph.D. in computational biology from George Mason University after completing a doctoral dissertation related to cancer research.

He becomes the 10th person convicted in the government's prosecution of what it called a "Virginia jihad network." Two were acquitted.

This article had me laughing at the patheticness of those involved in this stupidity.

Some retard decides to train a 'group' of people for a apocalyptic war between two civilizations by using BLOODY PAINTBALL guns ..... ahahahahahaha tounge_o.gif .

And the wierdest thing is that the guy was a well educated man , friggin PH.D crazy_o.gif .

Actually some US Army units now use paint guns instead of M.I.L.E.S. gear for war games.   All in all its actually a very effective way of training soldiers in basic infantry tactics and skills if the trainer knows what he is doing.  

But if the guy had no military experience then they probably didn't know what they were doing.

Overall, very few Islamic militant groups are well trained.  The only ones I can think of that are highly trained are Hezbollah.  Of coarse there are ex-Baathist military people training the miitants in Iraq...but aside from them and alot of bomb makers most get cut to pieces when they go up against professional soldiers of the US and UK military.

However with that said, it only takes minimum training on something like a sniper rifle, and a little skill at shooting to make for a very deadly opponent.   For example, I'm not a sniper, but I know enough about sniping strategies that if I were to be given a scoped weapon in a war zone, I would know enough to not get shot, how to select positions, how to maintain fire discipline, how to maintain a range card and firing boundaries, and how to use proper camoflage, windage, target leading, and of coarse basic marksmanship firing techniques.

So basically any one trained as an infantryman and is a good shot, and who has read up on sniping techniques in modern war, knows enough to be fairly dangerous if given a scoped weapon.  

Anyhoo.... I think a life sentence for this guy is overkill...I think a good 20 yrs is good enough as he didn't actually kill anyone and was not responsible for indirectly causing anyone's death.  

To give him a life senence sets a dangerous precedence in which anyone preaching militancy such as white supremecist leaders should then be arrested and put in jail for life.

I think there should be a stiff punishment..but life seems a bit over the top.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Quote[/b] ]Please dont get anoyed if I ask this question..
Then dont ask it. tounge_o.gif

Remember that refinery explosion back in March in Texas? The FBI is still scratching its head, figuring out what was the cause. Or so they say:

Quote[/b] ]Multiple blasts struck refinery

ASSOCIATED PRESS

HOUSTON (AP) - Federal investigators said Thursday that several explosions rocked a Texas City refinery last month in an eruption that killed 15 people, injured more than 100 and filled the sky with black smoke.

"We believe that there were a number of distinct explosions in rapid succession, possibly as many as five," said U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board member John Bresland.

Investigators still aren't sure what ignited the explosions at the BP refinery March 23.

Lead investigator Don Holmstrom said there may have been multiple ignition sources, and that some of the board's 10 investigators were conducting blast modeling to figure out the size and possible causes.

Well in that case it HAD to have been Muslims who did it.

...or maybe it was Bob's favorite enemy the EcoTerrorists!!!

God damn those A-rab loving, tree-hugging, granolas.

unclesam.gif

(sarcasm off)

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Well in that case it HAD to have been Muslims who did it.  

...or maybe it was Bob's favorite enemy the EcoTerrorists!!!

God damn those A-rab loving, tree-hugging, granolas.

Or maybe it was the Mexicans, in their new war to recapture Texas. wow_o.gif

/sarcasm off

You hit the nail on the head, Ma'am! They've already started a full scale invasion of Texas!  biggrin_o.gif

I would have no trouble giving that guy the life sentence, as it's apparent through his words he hates America and wouldn't mind killing some of us.

So any American who says he or she hates America deserves to go to Prison?    Wow.  I hope you will be happy when our constitution is scrapped.

Last I checked, making terroristic threats was NOT punishable by a life sentence unless that individual could be directly linked to preperations for a murder or a terrorist attack.  

So unless they have direct evidence, they can not legally give him a life sentence.  That would be insane.   If they do then I'd love to see what law they are using to do so.  It would mean that ANY ANTI-GOVERNMENT GROUP MEMBER who has EVER MADE A THREAT ABOUT ATTACKING THE GOVERNMENT can be punished with a LIFE SENTENCE!!!   So this means that they should start rounding up ALOT of white supremist group members and lots of milita members from all over the United States.  Then they need to go start arresting all the anarchists... hell they are the creators of the "Anarchist's Cookbook".   So arrest all of them and throw them in jail for life.  

Or can we not do that because they are...hmm.... white?

I guess the Arab guy is cool to put in jail for life cuz he's brown???...and even worse a Muslim!!!!rock.gif

As for the invasion...it must be working...I am the vanguard of the invasion! I'm half hispanic... and look brown... so slowly but surely we're breeding the whiteness from the rednecks and putting Taco Bells in every bastion of redneckness all over America until eventually every Bubba will be eating tacos, drinking Tecate beer y Limon instead of budweiser(yuck), and be married to a latina with 10 brown kids.

Ah... the changing face of America!

We should call ourselves the "ReConquistadors".

lol

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Actually, I believe any American who attempts to train people to attack this nation should be imprisoned. And yes, whites included.  tounge_o.gif

About him being a Muslim:

Some of our best friends are brown, my adopted cousin is black, and two friends in the garden club are Muslims. As a Christian, I've got nothing against Muslims, I'm even studying Arabic (trying to, hehe) and hope to read the Quran soon.

And as crazy as it may seem, I'm against the idea of people coming into this nation illegally and unchecked, then using American's money for themselves.

Btw, Latin women are better looking in general.  biggrin_o.gif

I've got nothing against you Miles, I'm sorry if I offended you.

I got totally lost here when I first read Rikki's initial post. So I understand we're back to discusssing Ali al-Timimi.

The word is "sedition".

se·di·tion

Conduct or language inciting rebellion against the authority of a state.

Insurrection; rebellion.

Clicking on the link for the following will display the original article, containing several embedded links to its sources:

Quote[/b] ]Convicting the "Paintball Sheikh"

By Daniel Pipes

FrontPageMagazine.com | May 2, 2005

Which is “the federal government’s greatest court victory against terrorism� According to an article by Debra Erdley in yesterday’s Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, that would be the conviction on April 26, 2005, of Ali al-Timimi.

Ali who? Well yes, with the exception of the Tribune-Review, which followed the Timimi case because of a Pittsburgh angle, the mainstream media stayed resolutely away from the case, with nearly everyone simply reprinting the identical Associated Press dispatch deep inside the newspaper. Television was apparently oblivious to the trial.

What is so momentous about the Timimi conviction, Erdley notes, is its being the first time since 9/11 that the U.S. government has put away a terrorist not for his deeds, such as raising money or blowing something up, but for his words.

The previous time this occurred was in 1995, when the feds convicted Omar Abdel Rahman, the blind sheikh, for having incited the (aborted) “day of terror†planned in New York City for June 1993. As the lead prosecutor in the case, Andrew C. McCarthy, explained, what made the prosecution in this case unique, was the government’s

<ul>stratagem to focus on the jihad organization behind the individuals carrying out this program: all the defendants were charged under the seditious conspiracy statute, which criminalizes agreements to wage war against the United States and to oppose government authority by force.

Included among the defendants was the blind and diabetic sheikh, someone who himself obviously could not take part in operations, but he is spending the rest of his life in a U.S. prison for his seditious words.

And now, Ali al-Timimi, also a sheikh, follows in Abdel Rahman’s footsteps to jail because he tried to get a group of young Americans Muslims associated with a paintball group in northern Virginia, to go to Afghanistan and fight for the Taliban regime there. Erdley explains:

<ul>Al-Timimi trial witnesses, including several members of the Paintball Jihad, said that at a secret meeting on Sept. 16, 2001, he advised the men to leave the country and take up arms for the Taliban in its coming war with the U.S. “There is definitely a line crossed where someone is not just expressing views about our country, but encouraging, directing and enabling individuals to act on those words,†[Eastern District of Virginia U.S. Attorney Paul] McNulty said.

“Some people still want to debate the issue of whether this constitutes speech. The essence of the case was, did these words have an effect on these individuals? Did they get solicited, induced, encouraged? Did they have an influence over the conduct of other people? The jury came back guilty on all counts,†McNulty said.

This case, prosecuted by Gordon Kromberg and his team, is so important because it dealt with words and placed them in context. For example, the indictment of Timimi quotes a message he sent out on February 1, 2003, the day when the Columbia space shuttle crashed to earth, in which he – a born American citizen – stated that

<ul>There is no doubt that Muslims were overjoyed because of the adversity that befell their greatest enemy.

The Columbia crash made me feel, and God is the only One to know, that this is a strong signal that Western supremacy (especially that of America) that began 500 years ago is coming to a quick end, God Willing, as occurred to the shuttle.

God Willing, America will fall and disappear.

That the government is ready to take such sentiments into consideration when prosecuting a terrorism case is one more sign of its growing recognition that the current war is not against terrorism but against the ideas that lead to that terrorism, namely arising out of radical Islam.

That said, it is troubling to see the mainstream media so consistently seeming not to see the import of these developments. Rather, they tend to ignore a case like that of Ali al-Timimi – or, if they do notice it, focus on the wrong set of issues.

My guess is that, once again, the Internet has to make up for this failing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Pipes (www.DanielPipes.org) is director of the Middle East Forum and author of Miniatures (Transaction Publishers).

Actually, I believe any American who attempts to train people to attack this nation should be imprisoned. And yes, whites included.  tounge_o.gif

About him being a Muslim:

Some of our best friends are brown, my adopted cousin is black, and two friends in the garden club are Muslims. As a Christian, I've got nothing against Muslims, I'm even studying Arabic (trying to, hehe) and hope to read the Quran soon.

And as crazy as it may seem, I'm against the idea of people coming into this nation illegally and unchecked, then using American's money for themselves.

Btw, Latin women are better looking in general.  biggrin_o.gif

I've got nothing against you Miles, I'm sorry if I offended you.

I'm not offended.  I'm glad you're a bit open-minded on these issues.  I was just pointing out the double standard given to Muslim extremists vs. homegrown extremists who also preach about violently overthrowing the US government.   They are not arrested for their seditious statements and yet Muslim extremists are?

Both to me are equally dangerous but Muslim extremists a bit more so because in our present situation, our law enforcement and intelligence agencies are not equipped to infiltrate them properly and instead are going after groups and individuals that have no affiliations or history of extremism like that group coming back from that conference in Canada.  Stuff like that is rediculous.  Now if one of them was making seditious threats at the conference then yeah, I could understand that but they weren't.  

If the FBI is going to go after people making terroristic threats and talking openly of sedition, they better start arresting and convicting our homegrown terrorism advocators as well.  That includes the radical side of the abortion issue who also encourage terrorism.

At any rate, what kinda scares me is the VERY stiff punishment on this guy when he is not directly linked to any planning or involvement in terrorism.  If I get sick and tired of  our government ignoring the constitution and start advocating a coup by the military to protect the constitution (as is its duty) does that mean I should be jailed for life if I start talking to service membes about that issue?  I wouldn't do that as I think violence is only a solution of absolute last resort and I don't think the situation is that bad yet.  However, hypothetically if I did advocated that viewpoint, under these court rulings, I could be imprisoned for life for publically advocating that.  Even saying that on the internet could get me thrown in prison for life even though I believe its a valid political issue.  

I do support some form of punishment for talking stupid crap and encouraging idiots to kill Americans, but at the same time, killing American soldiers (combatants) and blowing up American civilians are also two very different things believe it or not.  It then becomes a question of simple loyality.

Should a person have the right to leave America and fight against Americans who have invaded their country for example if they are Iraqi-Americans and they don't agree with what the US is doing?   Some German Americans made this choice during WWII.

How come John Walker wasn't imprisoned for life?  HE ACTUALLY FAUGHT FOR THE TALIBAN!!!! Its not known if he fired any shots at Americans but more then likely he did.  For all we know he may have helped kill that one CIA agent.  Yet I think that because he was a white American kid that the public and the courts had a lot more sympathy for him especially after he apologized for his actions.  What if this Arab dude, who is being sentenced to life, apologizes for his words?  Would he get such mercy from the court?   I highly doubt that.

So all I'm point out is the gross double standard in this war on terror.

I was trying to make that point concerning "EcoTerrorists" as well but Billybob was convinced that the FBI is doing just fine making the EcoNuts, not their top priority but one of their top priorities.... something I just can not comprehend given their overall low threat to American society.

Thats why I absolutely believe that when it comes to right wing terrorist groups or white/anglo terrorist suspects, they get treated with kid gloves compared to left-wing groups, Islamic groups, and individuals of miniority races.

Its an extremely subtle sort of racism/ethnocentrism but its definitely there and I find it very disturbing.

I think anyone who believes in the constitution should be very concerned regardless of what your political or religious beliefs are.  I just hope that you don't see your Muslim buddies in the garden club picked up and jailed for saying anything publiclly bad about the Bush administration.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I agree with most of what you said. I retract my previous statement, life imprisonment is not a good idea in this case.

However, I do believe the FBI etc. should be concentrating  on getting the Islamic terrorists. The Billybobs as I see it are less of a threat. They're certainly extremely dangerous, but not so much as the Muslim extremists. The way I see it, in general priority should be:

1. Muslim extremists

2. Right wing wackos

3. Left wing wackos and tree huggers.

John Walker Lindh should be given a life imprisonment; as I see it, he left this country to actually fight and attempt to kill Americans, saying he's sorry shouldn't that away. But he was given a fair trial, and as much as I disagree with the outcome, I accept it.

And as long as those Muslim friends don't spout off about the death and destruction of Americans everywhere, they should be O.K.  biggrin_o.gif

US admits stress of wars leaves risk of not meeting goals

Quote[/b] ]WASHINGTON -- The Defense Department acknowledged yesterday that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the US military to a point where it is at higher risk of not meeting operational goals and could face difficulty in dealing with potential additional foes, though officials maintained that US forces could handle any military threat.

An annual risk assessment by General Richard B. Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, concluded that higher standards imposed on commanders and the ongoing global war on terror has made it harder on the US military to meet those higher standards.

Presented to members of Congress yesterday, the assessment found the risk has increased but is trending lower, according to defense and military officials who briefed reporters at the Pentagon.

Underscoring the stress facing the armed services, the Army reported separately yesterday that its recruiting efforts are continuing to slip, as recruiters nationwide drew less than 60 percent of the April goal of 6,600 new recruits into the active duty force. It was the third straight month in which the Army missed its recruiting goal.

According to the Army, the recruiting effort is 16 percent behind where it should be at this point in the fiscal year, and current figures project a nearly 10 percent shortfall by the end of the fiscal year in September.

Army recruiting officials believe enhanced recruiting efforts and incentives should increase their enlistments over the summer, but they would have to consistently beat monthly goals over the next five months to meet annual goals. While the Army should have had 42,585 new recruits for the year as of the end of April, it had 35,833. It hopes to have 80,000 new enlistments this fiscal year.

''We are still cautiously optimistic," said Colonel Joseph Curtin, an Army spokesman.

Myers's risk assessment is a rare open acknowledgment that the stresses on the force and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan could have an impact on other military operations. While the assessment does not indicate a greater threat to the nation, nor a greater threat to the military, it does indicate additional conflicts could take longer, or eat up more resources, than expected.

Military and defense officials spoke to reporters on the condition of anonymity yesterday because the risk assessment is a classified document, but they wanted to emphasize that the heightened risk does not indicate vulnerability on the part of US forces and that it should not be read by other nations as an opportunity to attack. The officials said the United States would win any projected conflict across the globe, but the path to victory could be more complicated.

''There is no doubt of what the outcome is going to be," said a top defense official. ''Risk to accomplish the task isn't even part of the discussion. The way we accomplish the task is."

A senior military official said, for example, that it is obvious that if another conflict arises while the United States does battle in Iraq and Afghanistan and fights the global war on terror, it would not be as easily accomplished as if the other three conflicts did not exist.

''It wouldn't be as pretty," the official said.

Defense officials are working to mitigate the risks by following through with plans to transform the military, making it more agile and lethal, and by looking at how US troops are positioned around the globe. By raising operational standards, officials believe commanders can save lives by acting faster and by using fewer resources.

The military's need for manpower on the ground, however, continues to highlight demands on the Army and the Marines, the two services charged with conducting the ongoing wars.

Along with the Army missing recruiting targets, the Marines missed contracting targets in February and March, though by relatively small amounts. The Army Reserve has also missed its recruiting targets each of the past four months, in some cases dramatically.

The Army's basic training center at Fort Benning, Ga., is training seven companies currently, half of its maximum capacity of 14 companies, according to Colonel Bill Gallagher, commander of the Basic Combat Training Brigade. Moreover, each company of fresh recruits has 190 troops compared with a maximum possible of 220, he said.

So basically this shows us that the US capacity and ability to react on threats worldwide has been sharply cut and the future prospects are not too rosy if the numbers of recruitment don´t go up significant. Time for all the billybobs to sign up now. Your country needs you more than ever smile_o.gif

Or is this just the first step towards a draft ?

On the other hand Condi Rice just signalled that NK would be no problem to deal with given the current load for the US military. So it´s another "right hand doesn´t know what left hand is doing" thing ? rock.gif

No, she means we can kill them all with nuclear weapons, if push leads to shove.

Jesus Christ! That's the stupiest thing I've ever heard.

Quote[/b] ]No, she means we can kill them all with nuclear weapons, if push leads to shove.

Yes, sure... crazy_o.gif

NO. She didn´t mean that. Read a transcript of her statement and get a grip on reality...

On reality, US military recruiters seem to switch to very flexible methods of recruiting right now. A 17 year old guy taped a phone call with 2 recruiters and filmed them with hidden cam. He showed interest, but pointed out that he had not finished school and has a drug problem with pot. The recruiters acted very flexible by offering him a school diploma of a Baptists school and suggested him to use a drug cleaner before he goes for the tests. They even took him to the local drug dealer to buy the drug cleaner for him. They said it worked pretty well a couple of times and the school cerificate would be delivered by them.

Are they getting paid per head they bring into the US military ? rock.gif

What´s next ? Getting teens drunk and sign the contract with a fingerprint like in the good ol days of piracy ?

wow_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

They didn't just offer him a diploma, they outright suggested he get a fake one from whatever named school he wanted. The recruiter said it could be from Faith Hill* Baptist School or whatever the kid wanted, which is what the kid ordered.

CBS had a field day with it (it was their Denver affiliate that originally followed and aired the story).

EDIT:

On a related note, a number of colleges and universities are sueing the government for withholding federal dollars after a number of the schools banned military recruiters from their campuses.

*For those that don't know, Faith Hill is a country singer.

Hehe, just guessing...would that make him an "illegal combatant" in the eyes of the TBA as the process of getting him into the US military is illegal ? biggrin_o.gif

Haha ! biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif