Sign in to follow this  
dinger

Hunting the big ctd

Well this has happened to me recently , (actually after reaidng this topic rock.gifcrazy_o.gif )....

So it cant be my PC.

And it stutters like crazy if i try to view a good distance or place just 2 groups on a BTR-80 mad_o.gif

Specs:

P4 2.40 b

Mobo Intel i845

512 RAM

40 GB HDD with nearly 5 GB alloted for Pagefile use blues.gif

GF GEFORCE 4 440 MX overclocked

Any ideas? biggrin_o.gif

I have an idea. A geforce 4 MX is equivalent to a high-end Geforce3. No matter how much you overclock it, you wont get near the performance of a Geforce4 ti model. Any Geforce model with "MX" at the end is not designed for gaming. sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]40 GB HDD with nearly 5 GB alloted for Pagefile use
The maximum pagefile size for windows is 4GB. tounge_o.gif Alotting more than 1.5GB for your page file is useless anyhow, as your computer would spend 99.9% of it's time thrashing around it's hard drive if it had to page out that much data.

I have heard about 1.93c. Any idea where I can get it? Also I have done performance analysis' while playing OFP and it seems that you might be right about the memory. It seems that the processor workload drops off, and then memory and hard drive pages go off the scale right before the crash. I thought I fixed the problem by running OFP in Windows2000 compatibility mode, but now the problem is back.

do a search on "memtest386.exe". Get ahold of that, and run a test on your memory. I've had a bad stick and that found it. It's the #1 cause of mysterious windows problems (especially in memory-intensive applications like OFP)

I stand corrected. and it kicks butt.

I have heard about 1.93c. Any idea where I can get it?  Also I have done performance analysis' while playing OFP and it seems that you might be right about the memory.  It seems that the processor workload drops off, and then memory and hard drive pages go off the scale right before the crash.  I thought I fixed the problem by running OFP in Windows2000 compatibility mode, but now the problem is back.

Contact BIS through support@bistudio.com and ask about it.

I have an idea. A geforce 4 MX is equivalent to a high-end Geforce3. No matter how much you overclock it, you wont get near the performance of a Geforce4 ti model. Any Geforce model with "MX" at the end is not designed for gaming.  sad_o.gif

The maximum pagefile size for windows is 4GB. tounge_o.gif Alotting more than 1.5GB for your page file is useless anyhow, as your computer would spend 99.9% of it's time thrashing around it's hard drive if it had to page out that much data.

Um thanks for that info Toadlife , but i over clock the poor thing just to give me satisfaction tounge_o.gif but it also ups the FPS by 4-5 so its good.

Anyhow the overclocking isnt doing anything wrong with OFP i have checked it wit and without it.

Ok got a reply from BIS (nice service i am impressed biggrin_o.gif ) by Robert Steipek (sp) and he told me to reduce the number of addons i have , Is the CTD caused by that but i was able to play with all of them before anyway lets follow what they say i sent my reply with an interesting find i experienced while mingling with OFP.

Recenty started using 1.93b (from 1.92) since I was getting 3 or more CTDs an hour, even in single player mission mode.

It really seems to work! Not 1 CTD since !!

I suspect it was a graphics related issue causing the CTD's. Not sure but. During gameplay it seemed like open space or staying in a town too long was causing the issue. rock.gif

BTW, using the "-nomap" commandline option, only cuz it was suggest ...... no idea what it does.

I run XP, 2.4GHz, 512MB, Nivida Ti4200 GF4.

Best of Luck!

Gnat.

1.93c you can get here:

[....

Download links removed.

1.93c is not a public download, it is only a closed beta test.

Posting any links to it is regarded as distributing leaked version

...]

Cheers,

Gnat.

Seems like many people having "ACCESS_VIOLATION at 004F2905" are running nvidia cards (me included). Anyone with an ATI card had this? It seems that its doing some DirectX stuff on that location when the crash happens (loading textures?), it could be an nvidia driver issue.

Seems like many people having "ACCESS_VIOLATION at 004F2905" are running nvidia cards (me included). Anyone with an ATI card had this? It seems that its doing some DirectX stuff on that location when the crash happens (loading textures?), it could be an nvidia driver issue.

Which driver do you mean have this issue i have the latest detonator 45.23 by nvidia rock.gif

Seems like many people having "ACCESS_VIOLATION at 004F2905" ...

This crash address (4F2905) is one of the symptoms of the virtual memory space exhaustion - and this particular crash is caused by OFP bad handling of such situation.

Possible workardounds are:

- remove some addons

- lower your AGP apreture size

- wait for the next patch

- remove some addons

Hey not bad! smile_o.gif Now, if only that probem Dinger posted could be tracked down. (resolving the large savegame problems would be too much to hope for I guess)

I have an idea. A geforce 4 MX is equivalent to a high-end Geforce3. No matter how much you overclock it, you wont get near the performance of a Geforce4 ti model. Any Geforce model with "MX" at the end is not designed for gaming.  sad_o.gif

i have a gforce ti 4200 and it still crashes i was able to only play it again after reinstalling resistance then bas map came out and cabam same problem

then i made mod folders lowered all graphics and still crashes

i have direct x 9

OK ... I can understand removing the 1.93c link if its a pre-release beta .... but why oh why did you remove the link to the 1.93b version ... !!?? rock.gif

(Even though my post has been edited to make it look like I posted links to "c" versions only. )

*sigh*

i wanna send my config bin along with my specs but i freeze and not crash to desktop

i have to reboot

will my config bin still be reporting wat happenned or is there no point?

compare the date of the file with the date of the crash/feeze and you might know.

Seems like many people having "ACCESS_VIOLATION at 004F2905" ...

This crash address (4F2905) is one of the symptoms of the virtual memory space exhaustion - and this particular crash is caused by OFP bad handling of such situation.

- remove some addons

Can't confirm this for me. I have the "ACCESS_VIOLATION at 004F2905" CTD too but it's limited to cars and armoured vehicles that move in groups. Doesn't happen wit soldiers and flying units.

Removing addons and all other solutions don't help. Neither do they have any effect. Not even changing Settings in OFP has an effect except deactivating HW T&L which can be used as a workaround for the problem. I have plenty of system memory and virtual memory (over 1 GB). OFP doesn't use it up. I can't tell about video memory because I don't know a tool to measure it.

However. BIS support should know about my problem. I just wirte it here because I hope that I find another person who has this problem.

will my config bin still be reporting wat happenned or is there no point?

Config.bin has no importance to us. What we need to get is context.bin and Flashpoint.rpt. The best way to know if they contain something usefull is to send them to support@bistudio.com .

thanks man ill send it ass son as i have to restart again

i read wat the flashpoint rpt contained but it doesnt record my freeze wen i restart the comp

my ofp freezes and all i can do is restart it never crashes to desktop

the last one sent was due to a mission bug

the rest are random

This is rather unfortunate to report but:

Quote[/b] ]=======================================================

Date: 10/11/03 Time: 11:28:56

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 005D9257

Version 1.94

Fault address: 005D9257 01:001D8257 C:\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTBETA.EXE

file: CoC\uatut6 (__cur_sp)

world: noe

Prev. code bytes: 01 00 00 8D 7B 04 8D 49 00 0F B6 4F 01 0F BE 07

Fault code bytes: 8B 55 04 89 4C 24 10 8D 34 40 51 DB 44 24 14 C1

Registers:

EAX:0000000A EBX:15DCBC04

ECX:00000080 EDX:00000000

ESI:112F3A10 EDI:15DCBC08

CS:EIP:001B:005D9257

SS:ESP:0023:0012EC08 EBP:FFFFFFF0

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:0038 GS:0000

Flags:00010202

=======================================================

That is the same mission Dinger has been talking about after playing for about 20 minutes, then dying and retrying. sad_o.gif

Edit: files sent out