Sign in to follow this  
waffendennis

Are we all gonna die

Hmm that makes me 26. And just when I was having a good day because I saw a girl I really really like and haven't seen her in a year. mad_o.gif  Well we could always

divert all of our satellites so they would hit the thing and knock it off course. rock.gif  But as for getting the community together that's a definite no no too many people

hate other people to do that. That would cause much more damage than the Asteroid. tounge_o.gif Cool idea but dangerous. rock.gif

Oh I have been alerted it won't hit or atleas not near me if it does. Now back to what I was doing. wink_o.gif

Satellites wouldn't do much other than... break... into small pieces... when they hit an asteroid one mile wide...

It was just a thought. With all of the satellites up their but ya a mile wide is a little to large for that to work. crazy_o.gif

Still I hope it won't hit. I want to get to know that girl better.

Any other good ideas though? We should try and develop something to help stop this. Any LOGICAL IDEAS?

*Send a clan of OFP players to detinate it?* rock.gif

Let's hope it goes past us.

All you would need to do is land some unmanned spacecraft on the surface and have them deploy a large tinfoil sail several hundred yards long and a hundred yards high on one side of the asteroid. This would harness the solar wind and deflect the course of the asteroid away from the earth and into the sun. My brother, who was an astrophysicist told me that once.

Couldnt we like, just ignore it and hope it goes away? smile_o.gif I recently saw a old movie with sean connery in it (was he ever not gray haired ? :  wow_o.gif ) Where they sent the worlds arsenal of nukes at it and detonated it .... seemed to make sence. Either you A) Nudge it out of its orbit and it will go its merry way somewhere else (if it hits some other civilisations planet ....... well who cares we dont know those guys anyway wink_o.gif ) or B) it would break it up into chunks the size our atmosphere could handle. So its Viva el WMD! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]All you would need to do is land some unmanned spacecraft on the surface and have them deploy a large tinfoil sail several hundred yards long and a hundred yards high on one side of the asteroid.

That plan lacks testosterone! Common! Nukes! Big bad firecracker! wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] This would harness the solar wind and deflect the course of the asteroid away from the earth and into the sun.

Humzz to me logic would dictate that given that the solar wind is actually foton's from our sun (and others, but our sun being the nearest would push it the hardest) it would actually be driven away from our sun by that method.

It looks like the government has already build a secret defense system:

bush_brolly.jpg

Bush is protected, he doesnt care if it hits or not (it will solve the north-korea problems...), but whos going to safe the world? Ah, maybe those two guys?

tennis.jpg

"Its coming! Get ready!"

Well it doesent bother but before the impact of the thing ( if its gonna happen ) i want to go to my local army base and steal some things there and drive around with them tounge_o.gif but keep this in mind:

We are all gonna die no mether what you dont have eternal live sad_o.gif So enjoy your live ( for how long thats keep on wink_o.gif )

Why all the fuss? the last time an Asteroid tried to hit earth Homer Simpson just waited with a tree to smack it back into space. Of course the plan didnt work out well when he turned around and bent over and got one hell of an irritating rash on his bum. tounge_o.gif

Wouldn't it be kind of exciting if some asteroid got rated 10 on that scale... total annihilation...

We are not gonna die from an asteroid hitting our planet.Our sun is supposedly gonna burn out before then

LOL

No.

Asteroidal Impacts can't be predicted ahead of time if the asteroid hasn't been spotted yet: the biggest risk is from 'rogue' asteroids that have not been tracked/ spotted yet: these may have hugely erratic orbits or may change their orbits (eg 2 collide in an asteroid belt and path changes) - we can't see them coming. An asteroid like the one in the story, but with a slightly different path, could easily hit earth.

Well my father suggested we could use the foil sail and than bolt some rockets to a pad and have some one ride it of into the sunset. rock.gif Hmm not many takers for

that job. ghostface.gifsad_o.gif

but still if the atmosphere breaks it up like it should it will most likely drop into the ocean. Every one get your pool toys and floats out. biggrin_o.gif Just several hundred foot

tall tidal waves nothing big. wow_o.gif Now the only remaining problem is. Aliens. If they are on board the thing than we have a problem. rock.gif

Hmm so I'll be 26 or so, So I guess we could all party before it hits. tounge_o.gif So any one want to volunteer to go ride that big boy out of our orbit? Come on. If not the

OICW will be widely used by than so we can kill any aliens. wink_o.gif

Well my father suggested we could use the foil sail and than bolt some rockets to a pad and have some one ride it of into the sunset.  rock.gif Hmm not many takers for

that job. ghostface.gif  sad_o.gif

but still if the atmosphere breaks it up like it should it will most likely drop into the ocean. Every one get your pool toys and floats out. biggrin_o.gif  Just several hundred foot

tall tidal waves nothing big. wow_o.gif  Now the only remaining problem is. Aliens. If they are on board the thing than we have a problem. rock.gif

Hmm so I'll be 26 or so, So I guess we could all party before it hits. tounge_o.gif  So any one want to volunteer to go ride that big boy out of our orbit? Come on. If not the

OICW will be widely used by than so we can kill any aliens. wink_o.gif

If the thing hit's the ocean then we still are death because:

It will warm up the water so hot that you burn in it and it gives a total destruction Flood wave so if it hits the Atlantic ocean evry island in it is gone and around it to. and the rest of the world will be frozen death....and maybe there is then in that time a update of the OIWC: an Gun that gives bullets like an M1A1 tounge_o.gif

drstrangeloveridingthenuke.jpg

Maybe this guy could volunteer.  tounge_o.gif

WOW~ i watched this movie long ago biggrin_o.gif

I dont understand why people are afraid of asteroids ?

There is a guy named supermin or supermun , i dont exactly remember his name that can prevent any asteroids to hurt the Earth

That is true because i saw a documentary one day on his life , he was able to fly (certainly he has some kind of rocket hidden in his back) and can easily destroy what he wants (perhaps another trick about condensed dynamite he doesnt want to talk about) .

The only weird thing about that guy is why does he put his underwear on top of his trousers ?

So dont fear space asteroids, this guy is paid to destroy them by some periodical newspaper , to make exclusive photos for them

With Homer J. Simpson and Superman on the case we can all breathe a little easier tounge_o.gif

You forgot Jonny the OFP Messiah! wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

Guest DKM-jaguar

I hope the americans dont destroy it first, we#ll never hear an end to it.. or the endless streams of cheap movies... tounge_o.gif

I saw this topic "We are all going to die" and i was ammused. What's so diferent from dying in a chair at an old person's home than dying from the effects of an asteroid hit? It's both death and if it's going to happen then really nothing to worry about.

I hope the americans dont destroy it first, we#ll never hear an end to it.. or the endless streams of cheap movies...  tounge_o.gif

well I certainly hope your not proposing that the world sit and wait for the U.N. to decide to take decisive action, they'll have space probes "Inspecting" it till the last moment possible before finaly agreeing it could pose a threat tounge_o.gif

Besides, we've already spewed out a number of B rated movies on the subject of asteroids / meteorites.

Day of the Triffids (1950's cult classic) Big, nasty mobile mushrooms that turned men into zombies & / or foodstuff,

Dawn / Day / Night of / Return of the living, Dead, basis behind the Zombies appearing was a meteor which passed close to earth and theoreticly radiated the corpses or something to that effect.

Deep Impact, and of course Meteor. I'm sure theres a bunch I've mised.

Guest DKM-jaguar
I hope the americans dont destroy it first, we#ll never hear an end to it.. or the endless streams of cheap movies...  tounge_o.gif

well I certainly hope your not proposing that the world sit and wait for the U.N. to decide to take decisive action, they'll have space probes "Inspecting" it till the last moment possible before finaly agreeing it could pose a threat  tounge_o.gif

Besides, we've already spewed out a number of B rated movies on the subject of asteroids / meteorites.

Day of the Triffids (1950's cult classic) Big, nasty mobile mushrooms that turned men into zombies & / or foodstuff,

Dawn / Day / Night of / Return of the living, Dead, basis behind the Zombies appearing was a meteor which passed close to earth and theoreticly radiated the corpses or something to that effect.

Deep Impact, and of course Meteor. I'm sure theres a bunch I've mised.

LOL, true about the UN

And my previous comment was meant to be humourous, not insulting for anyone who thought otherwise smile_o.gif

btw: what's the diference between a commet and an asteroid?

I know, tounge_o.gif being the universal emoticon for good humored fun. smile_o.gif

A comet is a large chunk of space ice which leaves a sort of vapor trail behind it, the ice could be a number of frozen gasses.

Meteor being a large chunk of random mineral('s)

And I believe Asteroid is just a meteor on a much larger scale.

Hehe, Night of the COMET that was another one I was trying to think of before. (Mid 80's, turned those who actualy looked at it passing into brain damaged hooligans who turned to dust if you hit them hard enough)