Sign in to follow this  
Renagade

Temperature control,bugs and global warming

PAH!!! i live in Scotland and it's been lovely and warm, saved me a fortune on having to go abroad for some heat....bring it on lets have some more days when i can go out and sit outside having a cool beer without having to worry that it might rain......plus ALL the women wear very little clothes so stop yer mumping, i'd rather look at halfclad women  wow_o.gif than have to see them all wrapped up..... biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif

plus ALL the women wear very little clothes so stop yer mumping, i'd rather look at halfclad women  wow_o.gif than have to see them all wrapped up..... biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif

I have to agree, hot summer isn't all bad biggrin_o.gif

Yikes, nearly 3000 people have died directly or indirectly of this heatwave in France alone. sad_o.gif At least according to news here.

Anyway, Europeans should be glad to hear Canada has started ratifying the Kyoto protocol by investing the first 1Billion CDN dollars for lower fossil fuel consumption programs. (mainly paying upto 1000$ CDN for people who finally insulate their homes, which is EXTREMELY needed in Canada)

That will be about 1/10th of the target emmission reduction so far.

Yikes, nearly 3000 people have died directly or indirectly of this heatwave in France alone.  sad_o.gif  At least according to news here.

various estimations here give numbers within 2,000 and 10,000 deaths , even saw the mad number of 25 000 in a news paper

Morgues and Funerariums are completely full in some towns , hospitals are overcrowded , people with "minor pathologies" related or not to heat are kicked out

a few of the left wing parties ask for the dismission of the health minister

Nuclear powerplants need permanent cooling of the reactor's walls , and these powerplants use more and more of the water which became rarer in the rivers to cool reactors down , all of the french nuclear plants have difficulties with heat and there are risks of electricity cuts

the government is getting deeper and deeper in the shit caused by the french energy policy , which is based on nuclear powerplants which produce like 80% of the country's energy

public fountains are overcrowded , there's no way you can find any non-occuped space in public places in the evening after 4

bus drivers are striking to be allowed to wear bermudas and to get a heat prime

forrest fires risk is at its highest since maybe the 1947 summer (1976 was quite hot , but it was a bit more wet)

there are no fans or air coolers anymore at all in shops and the waiting ot get one of these is reaching 2 to 3 weeks

cold drinks have made a jump of 80%/120% percents depending on the regions in all sectors such as café's , distributors and personnal comsumption

air cooled places are crowded people go in supermarkets just to be in a fresh place , cinemas are almost always full

it's the complete mess here , hopefully , the heatwave , if we believe the weather people will end soon

yesterday ,at 02.00pm i wanted to go to a military surplus near my home

It was closed due to the hollyday of the owners , so i decided to go to town , it's only 1.5 kilometers far , so i walked , looked at the café's terrasses to see if i could see people i knew , i didn't find anybody , just tourists and other people ,

I decided to go in the smal streets , to see if there were any interesting shops still open  

There was a cheesy music , i think it was the Bellini thingy , a mix of techno and samba , if found a nice little Café facing the river , so i sat at the terrasse , ordered a lemon-water , drunk it and went back to town

My t-shirt was starting to get really wet

Finally i met an old friend of mine and his girlfriend , i asked him what he was doing outside and he told me he was looking for a fan , i told him there weren't anymore fans in shops

The sun was starting to weight on my shoulders . I tried to find some shadow

There were nobody in the street i was walking in , and in the far (ok , 100 meters) i saw the St-Jacques church . I decided to enter since it's generally fresh inside a church , so i entered , and .... it was the middle of a funeral ceremony ....

I asked one of the guests how the person died , he told me it was due to heat wave

I went back do the door where there was a nice shade , and there i had a nice surprise , i found the priest with who i've done my communion about 25 years ago

We had a little chat outside the church , he told me all the fans of the church's district depot had been distributed to old people , he asked me if i could help him to take large 5 liters water bottles from the back of the church's lorry to the hanger .I accepted  , i helped him , he paid me a glass of coke at a café

Once i was done with the priest , i wnet back deeper in town

I find a small shop which sells hats , i spotted a nice hat which would fit quite well with one of my wife's dress , so I bought it , after that

I passed infront of a glasses shop , i've seen some nice ray-ban sunglasses , i especially nbotice some old style ones , i'm ready to enter in the shops , but there already 5 people in-line , so i decide to go on the central "promenade"

I stand near the edge of one of the fountains to watch a few girls going in the water , a boyfriend spotted me , so i decided to flee as the old perv I am

I got back in town , i saw a small CD shop , i entered and i saw a nice classical music CD . I remembered my wife told me about a CD she'd like to have , so i looked for it ,n i finally find it ... so , i paid and i got out

I noticed i still didn't have anything for me , so I decided to go in a nearby hunting/fishing shop , i bought a few Boar 12 gauges rounds for the next hunting season , i saw a nice dagger which would have looked nice above my chimney , but since i didn't know what my wife would have said if i bought that , i resigned myself and got out

I looked at my watch , it was already 5.30 PM and i told my wife i was just going to the local surplus store so i decided to find a phonebooth , i called , she told me she couldn't come to take me back home because the car's battery was dead , she told me that it would be cool to reload the battery

I told her i'm exhausted and i won't do it tonight , so it annoys her a bit since she'd have to go to the town center by bus the next day

I went back , 1.5km's back home , on my way back , i met a friend doing some biking , he worn a weird biking cloth , so we had a little chat , he tells em about his mother having difficulties with the heat and her wife , pregnant who fears the heat will affect her baby , i told him i had seen a TV report about and it said that there were no risks but she had to drink a lot blah blah blah  

it's 05.50pm , and i was just halfway from home, i arrived at 5.55 , my wife was on an armchair in the ground floor living reading some french litterature teacher book

I shown her the hat , she thanked me

I got into the bedroom , took off my jean and my t-shirt and took a short , i got to the bedroom , i thrown some water at my face , and then , i drunk about 2 liters of mineral water and tooke a mars ice cream bar from the freezer

I wnet back in the living , i put on the fan eventhough the room wasn't hot

I sat on the armchair facing the TV , and I put on a DVD , it was Avalon i think , i fall asleep after a few minutes and that's all .....

this day was quite exceptional since normally , heat killed any kind of social life , i happen to sleep like 15 hours a day with all doors closed , after 3 hours , i smell quite bad and i use to take a shower every now and then

strangely , i did take quite well the heat , because i was walking , but when i got back home , i started to sweat badly

every day , we have a go at the supermarket to buy something fresh , and our fridges are allways full of cold drinks and cold dishes , but the fridges are working as they never did before , i'm pretty sure i'll have to change one of them before the end of the year , since they're quite tired

we didn't have any visit in the past 3 weeks , people going out are a real rarity , they're either tourists , young , sporty or people whose job is taking place outside

Ha, pretty interesting read. Kind of scary though. And no I don't think unborn babies will be at risk as long as the mother survives the heat.

Quote[/b] ]There were nobody in the street i was walking in , and in the far (ok , 100 meters) i saw the St-Jacques church .
lol

As far as I know the nuclear plants will be ok as long as they no longer follow environmental guidelines about heating river water too much. I doubt you guys will have a serious problem with that, well hopefully not.

Ha, pretty interesting read.  Kind of scary though.  And no I don't think unborn babies will be at risk as long as the mother survives the heat.
Quote[/b] ]There were nobody in the street i was walking in , and in the far (ok , 100 meters) i saw the St-Jacques church .
 lol

As far as I know the nuclear plants will be ok as long as they no longer follow environmental guidelines about heating river water too much.  I doubt you guys will have a serious problem with that, well hopefully not.

no risk of nuclear fallout tounge_o.gif

the problem is if the powerplants can't be cooled down efficiently enough , they'll have to be shut down for a certain ammount of time

and not following the environmental guidelines would be criminal

and yeah , 100 meters , without shadow in the heat , and a big sun on your back ..... that's a bit far tounge_o.gif

-edit- , and i didn't have any sunglasses or hat , no sun lotion (i have light sun burns on the forearms and on the neck , but that's all)

when i came back home , i shut all the lights down and closed all the shutters , badly needed some darkness smile_o.gif

no risk of nuclear fallout tounge_o.gif

the problem is if the powerplants can't be cooled down efficiently enough , they'll have to be shut down for a certain ammount of time

and not following the environmental guidelines would be criminal

Actually they already ignore some guidelines now, raising the evacuated water temperature above acceptable levels, nobody can possibly take it agianst them since people are dying without power. smile_o.gif It is totally udnerstandable and not criminal in this case. You either let the fishes live and let thousands more people die or risk some fish dying... obvious choice ion this instance isn't it.

Quote[/b] ]and yeah , 100 meters , without shadow in the heat , and a big sun on your back ..... that's a bit far tounge_o.gif

-edit- , and i didn't have any sunglasses or hat , no sun lotion (i have light sun burns on the forearms and on the neck , but that's all)

when i came back home , i shut all the lights down and closed all the shutters , badly needed some darkness smile_o.gif

I was just going to say, ware a good jungle hat 79-camouflage-5533.jpg and thin long sleeved shirt etc. I can't believe you of all people is so irresponsible. tounge_o.giftounge_o.gif

215.jpg

198.jpg

ST Jacques , in my opinion the most beautifull Chatellerault's church smile_o.gif

235.jpg

that's the place where i was having a look at girls smile_o.gif

195.jpg

one of the bridges i had to take to go to town smile_o.gif

in the open , no shadow

Cool pictures and all, looking at them I can imagine the heat, actually I remember exactly humidex values of 45C here, I used to go on 1h bike rides in that. But my strength dropped by 50% in the heat, other people were really concerned about a guy on a bike flooring it in the heat. wink_o.gif So was I. biggrin_o.gif

That kind of heat really sucks, I don't want any part of it, that's partly why I beleive in any ratification of Kyoto etc.

Cool pictures and all, looking at them I can imagine the heat, actually I remember exactly humidex values of 45C here, I used to go on 1h bike rides in that.  But my strength dropped by 50% in the heat, other people were really concerned about a guy on a bike flooring it in the heat.  wink_o.gif  So was I.  biggrin_o.gif

That kind of heat really sucks, I don't want any part of it, that's partly why I beleive in any ratification of Kyoto etc.

i do my biking really early in the morning , i strat between 5 and 6.30 and go back home at 8 generally ... , when i'm not lazy tounge_o.gif and when i had a correct night

nothing better than biking in the early morning fresh

Yeah, totally know what you mean, but if i go around 8am here it's still pretty damn good. In Ottawa temperature drops off about 3-4 hours later in the day than in most of Europe I find. So the morning stays cooler a bit longer too. But it's terrible to fall asleep as the real temp drop can be only at 1am on bad days. (not right now)

Okay, something is really off. It is 68F right now, and a severe thunderstorm is brewing off the coast. This is the exact opposite of what the weather should be right now in Texas. Its like the world's weather has flipped. But what is harder fro me to believe is that over 3,000 people have died from the heat! I can't see how some abnormally hot weather could kill that many people. crazy_o.gif

I was just going to say, ware a good jungle hat 79-camouflage-5533.jpg and thin long sleeved shirt etc.  I can't believe you of all people is so irresponsible.  tounge_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

no jungle hat in Chatellerault tounge_o.gif , jungle hats are jungle hats , and Camoed by this sun they're worst than anything (except dark caps) since they're dark , they attire more rays or something

you go in either bareheaded or with a light colored cap/boonie

long sleeves by these temperatures .. no thanks , i've had to wear long sleeves during all my time in africa and the short while i made in frenc guyana , so , now i'm a civilian , i behave , like a civilian : headlessly tounge_o.gif

but really , how can you wear long sleeves in such conditions ? i don't mind when serving in uniform , but there , the heat is much to strong and we're not active enough

i don't want to look like Rambo escaped from an asylum smile_o.gif that's all , but this wasn't a mountin trek so , didn't take car , well ... , sun burns are only light ;)

I assure you it can, when I was in the best shape of my life I nearly passed out into the never ever land in a car that was around 50C inside after maybe 2h. That's because i was tired.

So anyone who is old, tired, ill, will be struggling for life in the heat. They don't have enough fans, not enough AC's, it's terrible. Not like Texas or Cali where everyone is prepared.

Yeah, totally know what you mean, but if i go around 8am here it's still pretty damn good.  In Ottawa temperature drops off about 3-4 hours later in the day than in most of Europe I find.  So the morning stays cooler a bit longer too.  But it's terrible to fall asleep as the real temp drop can be only at 1am on bad days.  (not right now)

yeah

try to fall asleep at the beginning of the afternoon , and wake up 1 or 2 hours after , you'll have the feeling you're choking tounge_o.gif

one of the problem is : my house is quite well isolated , but my wife has a bad tendancy too leave shutters and doors open , so ... talk about heat .... , and then she yells at me because the bed is all wet of my sweat

Okay, something is really off. It is 68F right now, and a severe thunderstorm is brewing off the coast. This is the exact opposite of what the weather should be right now in Texas. Its like the world's weather has flipped. But what is harder fro me to believe is that over 3,000 people have died from the heat! I can't see how some abnormally hot weather could kill that many people.  crazy_o.gif

dehydration , fever , heart problems , fires

I was just going to say, ware a good jungle hat 79-camouflage-5533.jpg and thin long sleeved shirt etc. I can't believe you of all people is so irresponsible. tounge_o.giftounge_o.gif

no jungle hat in Chatellerault tounge_o.gif , jungle hats are jungle hats , and Camoed by this sun they're worst than anything (except dark caps) since they're dark , they attire more rays or something

you go in either bareheaded or with a light colored cap/boonie

long sleeves by these temperatures .. no thanks , i've had to wear long sleeves during all my time in africa and the short while i made in frenc guyana , so , now i'm a civilian , i behave , like a civilian : headlessly tounge_o.gif

but really , how can you wear long sleeves in such conditions ? i don't mind when serving in uniform , but there , the heat is much to strong and we're not active enough

i don't want to look like Rambo escaped from an asylum smile_o.gif that's all , but this wasn't a mountin trek so , didn't take car , well ... , sun burns are only light ;)

Hehhe, I don't know, I wear one of those jungle hats in the sun here and it's really excellent. the worst for me is getting sun on the back of the head and neck. It causes heat stroke. Trust me, I've got some experience in bad heat too.

A silk like long sleeved shirt is also great for covering you up from the sun, but I know, you want a break from combat clothes. biggrin_o.gif

EDIT: I'm talking about bright shirts, and preferrable a desert or urban camo hat for those temps. If you're not in the sun bare headed is obviously the best!!!

EDIT: I'm talking about bright shirts, and preferrable a desert or urban camo hat for those temps.  If you're not in the sun bare headed is obviously the best!!!

i have a "sahariene" for that , but then i look like saint Exupery or some desert explorator

a bit like this one (got mine from my father):

boubouFR.jpg

Yeah these hats are pretty good

playsuit.jpg

That's not a pic of me, sorry. biggrin_o.gif

Don't sweaters made out of wool keep the heat away? It's a breathing material or something. My mom said it does. She's 55 yrs = old, and old people know what they're talking about.

Yeah these hats are pretty good

http://www.sun-togs.co.uk/images/playsuit.jpg

That's not a pic of me, sorry.  biggrin_o.gif

we had a special cap type here called the "Bigeard" cap , from the name of a war chief , it had a nice neck cover

that's the Bigeard cap as it was in Algeria war (this one is anamerican copy)

casquette-cam.jpg

that's the simple variation called F1 which became standard issue after Algeria :

french-lizard-cap.jpg

some had a small system with which you could attach a simple neck cover

today , we're getting F2 caps to replace F1 model which have a flatter , rounder top

LOL

If someone sees you in a sweater in that heat they will probably call an ambulance and send you to psychiatric evaluation. smile_o.gif They do breathe, but what you want is something loose and bright that REALLY breathes.

EDIT: Yeah Ran, those are pretty good for the sun, F1 does need that neck cover despereately. Jungle hats still suffice for my little city needs. I should get a non camo one etc... rock.gifsmile_o.gif

EDIT2: Now if you can get them in white, I wouldn't wear one of those in public, whereas a jungle hat shape is pretty common so it doesn't look bad even in camo.

Maybe this heat is a sign of the end of the world! wow_o.gif  (Carmina Burana comes on)

The UK should NOT, I repeat, NOT be this freaking hot! crazy_o.gif

I've had to keep my window open practically the whole day. An invitation for flies and spiders to come in! Can't wait for autumn and/or winter, as long as they're within normal UK temperature (i.e. fuckin' freezin')

By the way, you should have seen the wasps here one summer! I think it was last year. It was a pleasant heat, BUT (there's always a but), the wasps... the wasps were crazy! They were like kamikaze! crazy_o.gif

You're just walking along, minding you're own business when a couple of wasps zip by you, fast as bullets! Honestly! They were just INSANE! (Must be something to do with the mysterious moon.)

Hope this heat wave passes and never returns (although it does make for good barbecue weather! tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif)

[Gareth Gates must fry]