Sign in to follow this  
stgn

M81 woodland vs. marpat

I just learnd about MARPAT last year and I stil think it loks like somthing that has come out of an animals stomach. But I have read that it should be better than the Woodland that the US Army and US Airforce uses, but not quit as good as its brother CANDAT which is "only" 40% better than an Olivedrab Uniform, so I just thort how much better than Woodland could it be, or was there another reason to change camoflage? Like had they run out of xtra woodlanduniforms or what?

STGN

I just learnd about MARPAT last year and I stil think it loks like somthing that has come out of an animals stomach. But I have read that it should be better than the Woodland that the US Army and US Airforce uses, but not quit as good as its brother CANDAT which is "only" 40% better than an Olivedrab Uniform, so I just thort how much better than Woodland could it be, or was there another reason to change camoflage? Like had they run out of xtra woodlanduniforms or what?

STGN

40% better? On what scale would that be? Besides, MARPAT uniforms dont just include a camouflage change, several changes have been made to pocket placement to increase utility as well. That and E6Hotel, our resident active duty Marine seems to like them alright, and I'll trust someone who's actually using the uniform any day.

Just my opinion here...I have no facts smile_o.gif

Camo works by breaking up regular shapes (like the lines of a human body) so that your eye isnt automatically drawn to them.

CADPAT and MARPAT are (to the best of my knowledge) designed to be optimum in this task. From what I recall, they used computer pattern recognition to design the best possible pattern for the camo.

Too bad Assault is gone, we could ask him about CADPAT smile_o.gif

@ July 25 2003,03:29)]

STGN

40% better? On what scale would that be? Besides, MARPAT uniforms dont just include a camouflage change, several changes have been made to pocket placement to increase utility as well. That and E6Hotel, our resident active duty Marine seems to like them alright, and I'll trust someone who's actually using the uniform any day.

I forget, on the marpat there are the little green EGA's.  How far apart are they all spaced?

I forget, on the marpat there are the little green EGA's.  How far apart are they all spaced?

Pretty sure it's a random interval. Don't know thought

@ July 25 2003,03:53)]

Pretty sure it's a random interval. Don't know thought

Hmm.  I saw on mail call them doing a segment on MARPAT.  They said they wanted something uniquely marine corps'.  So with the set pattern they put EGA's all over the place.  I can't remember the intervals they were at.

Unless I was mistaken.

Look no further than Unky Tiger to answer this one.

The clever lads at Military Morons were nice enough to put the desert marpat through its paces.

Placed on a sandy/earth background

camcomp1.jpg

Placed on rocky bg

camcomp5.jpg

from farther back

camcomp3.jpg

Tigershark: Your pics want a password to wiew them...annoying.. ghostface.gif

A new camo pattern for the Army would be good. Even hunters in the U.S. have better camo (like realtree & mossy oak). I hear we are getting it soon. Strange that the Corps actually got something before the Army for once. Jarheads that I know say that the Marpat uniforms are more comfortable...that and they have better boots too. mad_o.gif

It gives you the name and password if you just read biggrin_o.gif

It´s hard to type this with that password screen jumping up all the time! Fix it! crazy_o.gif

EDIT: Heh ok I got it but that´s got to be against forum rules.

Patterns like realtree and mossy oak attempt to blend in with local flora, while MARPAT and CADPAT take a different approach. They seek to break up shapes and patterns, and generally obstruct an enemy's sight picture. It has an advantage over blending camo because it can still be functional in environments that don't match its exact color scheme.

Wow. The MARPAT is significantly better than the others, at least in those photos.

I wonder if anyone has done that with the woodland camo sets...

I am going to be looking for camo gear soon, as I am picking up an Airsoft rifle in September some time. Just have to sell off some stock in Telus first smile_o.gif

STGN

Thats just what I have read that MARPAT should camoflage you 40% better at 200m then a Olivedrab uniform would do.

I know that the jacket also features changes to the pockets and things like that but Icon't think that would have made the big impackt on an deciscision to change the uniform camoflage from Woodland to MARPAT. besids the pockets on the Woodland uniform ain't that bad I have one my self and I havent had eny problems whit them.

STGN

STGN

Thats just what I have read that MARPAT should camoflage you 40% better at 200m then a Olivedrab uniform would do.

I know that the jacket also features changes to the pockets and things like that but Icon't think that would have made the big impackt on an deciscision to change the uniform camoflage from Woodland to MARPAT. besids the pockets on the Woodland uniform ain't that bad I have one my self and I havent had eny problems whit them.

STGN

Well I read somewhere that apples are 50% better than oranges before 2:00 PM in the afternoon, but that drops to 20% as evening draws on. smile_o.gif

Anyhow, the pockets on an M81 are pretty much useless when you've got ALICE or another LBE on, and the USMC was looking to overall increase the real world utility of the uniform in addition to changing the camo pattern.

anyone know where we can buy MARPAT camo??

I WANT IT!

Easy, join the Marines biggrin_o.gif

I WANT IT!

buy french central-europe instead tounge_o.gif

@ July 27 2003,05:46)]Well I read somewhere that apples are 50% better than oranges before 2:00 PM in the afternoon, but that drops to 20% as evening draws on.  smile_o.gif

Anyhow, the pockets on an M81 are pretty much useless when you've got ALICE or another LBE on, and the USMC was looking to overall increase the real world utility of the uniform in addition to changing the camo pattern.

he he whats thats got tu do whit this topic rock.gif

I can't remember what the firm that made the MARPAT is called but I think it was theres hompage I got it from.

besides ALICE, LBV88 and MOLLE would also make the pockets un avalible on the new uniform the only new think is the pocket on the shoulder.

STGN

Here is a comparison of the two patterns I think that MARPAT has too much sand colour but the marines does make amfibius atacks I know it wouldent fit the Danish climate so good but I don't know about USA

MARPAT_Woodland_64x64.JPG       US_Woodland_Badged_64x64.JPG

The big picture  The big picture

In Denmark I think woodland would win eventho it ain't the best camo either.

STGN

@ July 27 2003,05:46)]Well I read somewhere that apples are 50% better than oranges before 2:00 PM in the afternoon, but that drops to 20% as evening draws on.  smile_o.gif

he he whats thats got tu do whit this topic rock.gif

I can't remember what the firm that made the MARPAT is called  but I think it was theres hompage I got it from.

besides ALICE, LBV88 and MOLLE would also make the pockets un avalible on the new uniform the only new think is the pocket on the shoulder.

STGN

It doesn't really matter about the type of LBE or LBV you're wearing its the Interceptor Body Armor that everyone wears now, that's whats really making it impossible to use those pockets.

Here is a comparison of the two patterns I think that MARPAT has too much sand colour but the marines does make amfibius atacks I know it wouldent fit the Danish climate so good but I don't know about USA

MARPAT_Woodland_64x64.JPG       US_Woodland_Badged_64x64.JPG

The big picture  The big picture

In Denmark I think woodland would win eventho it ain't the best camo either.

STGN

Well, let's try them then with my super-scientific testing smile_o.gif

danish_camo.jpg

Looks like MARPAT has a marginal advantage over the old Woodland camo.

I WANT IT!

buy french central-europe instead tounge_o.gif

a pink colored bunny suit would camouflage better than the french central-europe camo. tounge_o.gif

i guess MARPAT is not available for civilians yet  sad_o.gif