Sign in to follow this  
ran

14th of july 2003 military parade

What do you think, will some half-mad neo-Nazi hustler try to shoot Chirac this year?

I think I'll have to check out this parade, I participated in a few myself during my service in the Army, they were actually quite nice.

it's official this year , we'll have the Leclercs (in 2001 they didn't participate to "officially show the will of the french army to change into a high mobility/projection force ... etc" but in fact , i'm pretty sure the tanks didn't make it to Paris cuz of technical problems tounge_o.gif)

4000 soldiers

100 jets

40 helicopters

and quite a lot of vehicles tounge_o.gif

its just a tradition i suppose, not anything facist,

I thought that french belguim lux and germany had formed a little alliance, you know, like a mini nato,

Its just a way of pissing off the yanks and the brits. Isnt that eurocorps? i cant remember...

Quote[/b] ]The Eurocorps was created in 1992 as the concrete implementation of a political will that has developed since the 1950's.

The Eurocorps comprises military contributions from its five member states: Belgium, France, Germany, Luxembourg and Spain. The Headquarters, in which soldiers from the member states and also from Austria, Finland, Greece, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Turkey and the United Kingdom participate, is located in Strasbourg, France.

From www.eurocorps.org

It's kinda funny to see them altogether. they just look like a bunch of people playing airsoft! biggrin_o.gif

Their equipment is also very interresting. smile_o.gif

Is Abrams bigger than Leopard 2A4? The reason why I'm asking is that me and my big brother went to the finnish Armour Museum today, and there was one of our new Leopards, and it's a big frigging monster!

Is Abrams bigger than Leopard 2A4? The reason why I'm asking is that me and my big brother went to the finnish Armour Museum today, and there was one of our new Leopards, and it's a big frigging monster!

Which town is that museum in?

La prise de la bastille, Louis XVI's decapitation ,

the good ol' days biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Does the U.S have any military parades?

No, generally Americans are uncomfortable around large masses of their own troops....it has to do with founding principles mostly....the U.S. strives to keep it's military from intereacting with the civilian population as much as possible. I once asked a senior offficer why we don't have public shows of military strength and he said "That's what the commies do." So I guess we gotta be different....hey, everyone else thinks we are imperialist assholes, why not show it off? sad_o.gif

No, generally Americans are uncomfortable around large masses of their own troops....it has to do with founding principles mostly....the U.S. strives to keep it's military from intereacting with the civilian population as much as possible. I once asked a senior offficer why we don't have public shows of military strength and he said "That's what the commies do." So I guess we gotta be different....hey, everyone else thinks we are imperialist assholes, why not show it off? sad_o.gif

I'd just love to see more of finnish army stuff, but I just gotta wait til' I go to the army. smile_o.gif I'd feel very comfortable with Abrams's surrounding me (turrets pointing in the other way of course)

Quote[/b] ]I've heard that the weight of the tank damages pavement.I remeber watching a tank training show, and the trainer said he knew a tank driver in Germany, damaged a street with the tank, and they made him pay for the damage.

Hm. I don´t believe he had to pay for the damage but he certainly had to pay some money for punishment.

The problem with Leo´s, no matter if leo 1 or 2, is that they can stop very fast. Hit the brakes and you go from 90 km/h to 0 within 3 - 5 meters. The rubber blocks burst of the track and the track rips asphalt open. You know somewhere the energy has to go to biggrin_o.gif

Well that´s no bigger problem if the driver uses the brakes carefull, but in case of an emergency halt the road is done.

Do tanks still have narrow tracks which they put on for transportation? I saw that once on a documentary about ww2, the germans put those on their late war tanks because otherwise the trains carrying them couldnt pass each other because the tanks were getting so big smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Do tanks still have narrow tracks which they put on for transportation?

No. There is only one kind of track for the Leo. This track can be modified with rubber cussions for peace time useage and snowclaws for winter useage in open terrain. During missions the rubber cussions are taken away.

The Leo 2 can climb 60 percent elevations and 1.5 m in height from zero level ( bunk walls, etc.).

leopard2a4_02.jpg

well they do at times make appearances, like at fairs or airshows. but they never bring out the heavy stuff but they do show some of their apc's and trucks. i remember when i was just a little kid at the fair, they had a some kind of tracked vehicle that looked like a M113 and a 5 ton truck w/ some kind of strange equipment, anyway they had the M113's rear hatch open so people could walk inside and have a look, they had the drivers seat locked so it could rotate to prevent people from climbing in and messing around w/ the controls, well at the time i didn't stop to think that they didn't want anybody climbing inside to the drivers seat, so being the curious little kid i was i squeezed myself between the seat and wall of the vehicle and sat there for a miniute or two, fortunately i did have some basic common sense and didn't tamper w/ anything and just sorta squeezed myself out again and met up w/ my dad where he took me to see the truck. come to think of it im a bit surprised that nobody was paying attention to what was going on in there wow_o.gif the military was also at a airshow at Burke Lake Front in Cleveland, again they didn't have any of the big stuff, just some trucks, humvees, and some of their equipment. they where letting people handle a M-16 w/ a gernade launcher and a M-60. and of course it being a airshow they did have a C-130.

and to answer somebodies question, Rarely does the military publicly show the M1 Abrams tank and when they do have a show of the tank its never in a public place. they had a flyer for a open house at a armory nearby where i live, they were going to show a Abrams tank crushing a car, i really wanted to go see it but it was on a day i had to work sad_o.gif

starting in 15 minutes

could anybody please tell me if these links work yet ? if they don't , they should be operationnal in about 15 minutes

Not yet.

ok , i have the feelling the link will start working after the end of the documentaries they're showing right now tounge_o.gif like 15 more minutes

-edit-: Don't forget about TV5 and the other channels like France2 and TF1

The links are working fine for me. Unfortunately no march livefeed yet, the seem to bring the news right now. smile_o.gif

no , the parade itself will start within half an hour

but right after the ads , there will be a small documentary about french troops in ivory coast

Talking about parades and Eurocorps : The other day (Wednesday I think it was) the Air Component of the Belgian Armed Forces (Bah why couldn't they just leave it as "Belgian Air Force" lol) were practising the flypast for the 21st July (Belgian national Day) parade and I was amazed to see a Mirage 2000 and 2 Tornados(couldn't quite make out the markings) flying along with the usual F-16s,C-130s and SF-260s  in the "formation"wow_o.gif .

I've never seen a foreign aircraft participating in this event, not even foreign troops or vehicles come to think of it so I was quite surprised.

I think after OIF,they're trying to show their unity in the form of participating in each other's National Days LOL  biggrin_o.gif  

Does Germany have a National Day where they have a military parade or not perhaps because of history? If so it'd be interesting to see if there were any Belgian,French or Luxemburg (<-LOL) forces participating   smile_o.gif