Sign in to follow this  
PitViper

Un dropping ball in congo?

I haven't been to Somalia or Afghanistan, but i would think that they are probably in the same sort of condition.

I don't like popular culture, i just watched MTV and it was incredibly dull, moronic and tedious. But anyways, ahh yes the Belgian rubber plantations, lot's of mutilated people and children came out of that little escapade.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Saddam Hussein was an old lady with a purse?

<span id='postcolor'>

Saddam-Old.JPG

Okay so I'm not the best editor, but hey biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There are UN troops in Somalia? uhhh... Are you sure about that?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes.

Contingents from Nigeria, malaysia and pakistan are still in Somalia along with civil UN workers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ 14 May 2003,11:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Interesting read on the Congo situation<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ugandan President Yowei Museveni has described MONUC as useless, claiming that they engage in "dangerous tourism" by driving around Bunia doing nothing while people were dying 500 yards away.<span id='postcolor'>

No wonder the title of the article is "UN Urged to Fight".

If you read on you´d have noticed that the UN is not responsible for it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ 14 May 2003,11:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you read on you´d have noticed that the UN is not responsible for it.<span id='postcolor'>

I read on:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The situation with the United Nations is even more chaotic - the UN had ordered Ugandan troops out of Ituri, yet the United Nations spokesman Hamadoun Toure (in Kinshasa) then insisted that the Ugandans (as the occupying power) are still responsible for security in Ituri - but the last Ugandan troops pulled out on the 5th. This is generally known as a "Catch-22".

The Ugandans quickly retorted that they could not be held responsible and that contradictory UN signals like this have badly damaged Uganda's reputation over the last two years. The Ugandans also claim that they have been trying to withdraw, but were repeatedly requested to stay on by UN officials from as high up as the Secretary General's office (but predictably, none of these have been in writing). - Adam Geibel<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but predictably, none of these have been in writing<span id='postcolor'>

Well you guess biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ 14 May 2003,11:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but predictably, none of these have been in writing<span id='postcolor'>

Well you guess  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Out of toner. tounge.gif

/me resists temptation to be involved in bitch fight against america

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nolips71 @ 14 May 2003,12:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">/me resists temptation to be involved in bitch fight against america<span id='postcolor'>

why would you have something to say about America in this thread?  its about the UN and the Congo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">all our 90 F-16's that havent been upgraded for years and of which only about 30 fly and the rest are spare parts.

<span id='postcolor'>

Only 60!??!! crazy.gif

Anyway I don't think the conflict is to end anytime soon. It would be like to scare colombian druglords out of selling goods to the US with a pitchfork straped to a rifle. In a very large area. It is just too remote.

Note to self: Invade Belgium with a minigun straped to a cessena. tounge.gif

denoir's edit: fixed quote tags that messed up the page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LaPoi @ 14 May 2003,22:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">all our 90 F-16's that havent been upgraded for years and of which only about 30 fly and the rest are spare parts.

<span id='postcolor'>

Only 60!??!! crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

this post reminds me of the fact that our CH-53 Helicopters keep falling from the sky because americans need a lot of spare parts for the war and we don't get the ones we ordered in time! I heard that only 12 of about 100 German CH-53 are used and the rest is only there to deliver spare parts. crazy.gif

don't know whether the total number is correct, maybe Balschoiw knows the right figure.

don't think that Germany is capable of sending troops with such a lack of proper equipment. We already have lost some CH-53 in UN missions.

Bah never buy American helicopters!

et the license to build them, rip out the shit engines and buid your own very nice ones, E.g. Westland Sea King / Wessex

I think the only one we use which isn't modified by us is the Chinook, and that also has a habit of falling out of the sky, you might remember the incident when a Chinook landed on a motorway in Germany, that was RAF. The bloody thing ripped itself apart right when they were flying over the road.

Bastard things! I really do abhor those contraptions, it's best to get a single rotor NOTAR rig.

I don`t think someone will. Neither the UN nor the USA nor anybody else. It`s just a poor country with poor people dying, that`s what most of the world thinks. See, even news about that are hard to find in the media. sad.gif

Indeed, very sad.

I think the Belgians should help out as it is their former colony, like sierra leone.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ 13 May 2003,12:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Let the Euro's deal with this one, if they want to whine about it then *maybe* they can do something about it.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually it seems that we will do something about it. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BRUSSELS, Belgium -- European Union defense ministers said Monday their 60,000-member rapid-reaction force was ready for peacekeeping duties, and the Congo could be the first deployment. <span id='postcolor'>

Cannibals spread terror in Congo.

I hear that a good French red wine goes well with European hearts and livers.

Good think we're not sending any American troops, I hear they're high in saturated fat and cholesterol. Europeans are leaner, howerver they taste bitter and are all white, dry meat.

But Americans are better than the Chinese peacekeepers anyday. An hour after you eat a Chinese peacekeeper, you're hungry again.

-=Die Alive=-

And, I heard something about Canadian RCMP officers preparing for peace keeping in Congo... smile.gif

Pygmies beg UN for aid to save them from Congo cannibals

By Michael Dynes, Africa Correspondent

PYGMY leaders have called on the UN to set up an international tribunal to put government and rebel fighters from the Democratic Republic of Congo on trial for acts of cannibalism against their people.

Sinafasi Makelo, a representative of Mbuti pygmies, told the UN’s Indigenous People’s Forum that during the four-year civil war his people had been hunted down and eaten.

“In living memory, we have seen cruelty, massacres, and genocide, but we have never seen human beings hunted down as though they were game animals,†he said.

“Pygmies are being pursued in the forests. People have been eaten. This is nothing more, nothing less, than a crime against humanity.â€

More than 600,000 pygmies are believed to live in the Congo’s vast jungles, where they eke out a subsistence existence. Both sides in the war regard them as “subhumanâ€, and believe that their flesh can confer magical powers.

UN human rights activists reported this year that rebels had cooked and eaten at least a dozen pygmies. Some of the worst atrocities took place when the Congolese Liberation Movement, one of the main rebel groups, tried to take the town of Mambasa from the rival Congolese Rally for Democracy last year.

Mr Makelo called on the forum to ask the UN Security Council to recognise cannibalism as a crime against humanity and an act of genocide.

There were reports yesterday of cannibalism against other Congolese in the mineral-rich province of Ituri in the east. Fierce clashes between ethnic Hema and Lendu militias this month are know to have resulted in more than 300 deaths. A mass grave containing the remains of more than 30 men, women and children was found near the town, UN officials said.

Church leaders and residents have accused Lendu militiamen of killing civilians, cutting open their chests, removing hearts, lungs and livers, and eating them.

Father Joseph Deneckere, a Belgian priest who has lived in the Congo since 1970, said that traditional superstitious beliefs, entrenched hatreds and attempts to settle old scores lay behind the atrocities. “Some of the victims had their sexual organs missing after tribal fighters cut them off to use as charms,†he said. Tribal fighters had also been seen wandering around the bush with human organs “draped from their weaponsâ€. Acquitto Kisembo, a resident of Bunia, the town at the centre of the fighting, said: “The sight of a corpse with a missing liver or heart is horrific, especially when you know those parts were eaten, and that the same could happen to you.†UN officials have opened a formal investigation into the allegations, which they describe as credible.

The region remains dangerously tense, despite last week’s ceasefire, the UN says. Gunmen with rocket-propelled grenades roam the streets of Bunia. Eighty per cent of the 350,000 inhabitants have fled.

About 750, mostly Uruguayan, UN peacekeepers are stationed there, but they do not have the authority to use lethal force. Kofi Annan, the UN Secretary-General, has asked France to lead an emergency force to stabilise the region. It has agreed to do so, but has insisted that other countries join. Britain, which is considering contributing, says that it is a “stop-gap operation†to reinforce the existing UN contingent.

==========================================

Quote[/b] ]Mr Makelo called on the forum to ask the UN Security Council to recognise cannibalism as a crime against humanity and an act of genocide.

It's not? I'll be damned...

-=Die Alive=-

UN human rights activists reported this year that rebels had cooked and eaten at least a dozen pygmies.

crazy_o.gifsad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]“Some of the victims had their sexual organs missing after tribal fighters cut them off to use as charms,†he said. Tribal fighters had also been seen wandering around the bush with human organs “draped from their weaponsâ€.

wow_o.gif

@ May 23 2003,11:56)]
Quote[/b] ]“Some of the victims had their sexual organs missing after tribal fighters cut them off to use as charms,†he said. Tribal fighters had also been seen wandering around the bush with human organs “draped from their weaponsâ€.

wow_o.gif

A week or so ago I saw an episode of "The World's Most Dangerous Places" about the civil war in Liberia. Some crazy stuff. 10 year old kids running around with AK's and RPG's, people eating the hearts of the enemies they killed, every prisioner that was captured was summarily executed after being offered freedom if he told the truth during interrogation...At one point a reporter who was with the rebels inspected some weapons they captured from government troops. The AK's he saw were date stamped as being made in 2002.