Sign in to follow this  
PitViper

Un dropping ball in congo?

UN gets active in the congo issue.

Looks like it´s going to the desert again.

My old bones will most likely get to africa again.

Yeah, I heard a couple of days ago that a French-led UN force is to depart for Congo pretty soon, ahead of the EU rapid reaction team.

Good that it was dealt with so quickly.

Edit: link

another Hyenna diner coming up? wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifsmile_o.gif

700ish troops?

Is that even enough for grave registration? crazy_o.gif

700ish troops?

Is that even enough for grave registration? crazy_o.gif

1,200 this week and about 5,000 more during the next three months. Sometime september-october the ERRF (European Rapid Reaction Force) will join them with 20,000-30,000 men. That's the preliminary plan.

Also, noteworthy is that this is a combat operation, not just peacekeeping since the parties involved in the Congo killings have not accepted the presence of a UN force.

My friends wont be going, but the "class" ahead of them will. They are preparing for it right now. As Denoir said, they are going to be peace enforcers rather than peace keepers.

Aparently the Swedes will be responsible for some airport or other, with a unit of UN soldiers from Bangladesh on security detail. *shiver*

Quote[/b] ]Also, noteworthy is that this is a combat operation, not just peacekeeping since the parties involved in the Congo killings have not accepted the presence of a UN force.

Absolutely correct. I just had a glimpse on the beta material list and there are a lot of heavy weapons and tanks lined up on it.

For me it´s TPZ as ever I guess.

My boss also told me that a promotion for me is on the way. So it looks like I will have to command a larger portion of men than I did till now.

Hehe, finally I can piss into some officer´s cups now and go away with a smile. biggrin_o.gif

there is a desert in Congo???

Last time i saw a map of Congo... it was ALL GREEN.

And uh... what countries are going to participate?

My friends wont be going, but the "class" ahead of them will. They are preparing for it right now. As Denoir said, they are going to be peace enforcers rather than peace keepers.

How else could u get peace there?? First you must enforce peace before you can keep peace. ;)

I dont know the proper terms for it in English but they will apparently be more aggressive than on regular missions. Its about using force to achieve piece, which usually isnt how the UN operates if I understand it correctly.

I dont know the proper terms for it in English but they will apparently be more aggressive than on regular missions. Its about using force to achieve piece, which usually isnt how the UN operates if I understand it correctly.

Indeed. Usually the UN tries to keep the peace by generating huge amounts of paperwork.

And the British might even be going there so the rebels cant attack the UN or we'll tell Georgie on them!

wink_o.gif

You'll have to convince him first that Congo has lots of oil. Given his geographical knowledge that shouldn't be too hard tounge_o.gif

You know EU is doing this all wrong. We'll never become a superpower by helping poor Africans. Instead we should go and invade Saudi Arabia. Learn from the best wink_o.gif

Or to parphrase Lyndon Johnson (you'll have to imagine a Texas dialect):

"I will not send European boys '2000' miles to do a job the Congonese boys should do for themselves" tounge_o.gif

I think they're Congolese boys, but other than that, very good, Denoir smile_o.gif

But regardless, any good student of history knows that America's fate in Vietnam was sealed well before that statement, the Tonkin Gulf incident, or the subsequent escalation. Besides, they didn't have any oil either lol.

@ June 03 2003,02:43)]I think they're Congolese boys, but other than that, very good, Denoir  smile_o.gif  

Oh yeah, how come there's a Congonese Embassy in Pretoria, South Africa? tounge_o.gif

And two Congonese citizens died in the WTC wow_o.gif

No, actually I was going for a Bush joke but changed it to a Lyndon joke while I forgot to change the "Congonese" smile_o.gif

@ June 03 2003,02:43)]I think they're Congolese boys, but other than that, very good, Denoir  smile_o.gif  

Oh yeah, how come there's a Congonese Embassy in Pretoria, South Africa? tounge_o.gif

And two Congonese citizens died in the WTC  wow_o.gif

No, actually I was going for a Bush joke but changed it to a Lyndon joke while I forgot to change the "Congonese" smile_o.gif

Well I'll be damned. I guess you learn something everyday, non?

No, not at all. The correct designation is "Congolese". I was just making a Bush joke which didn't quite fit in the LBJ quote smile_o.gif

No, not at all. The correct designation is "Congolese". I was just making a Bush joke which didn't quite fit in the LBJ quote smile_o.gif

So I guess you don't learn something new every day. Or maybe I did learn something about not learning something every day. I'm confused now tounge_o.gif

Are we the dutch going in there? Hope this isnt going to be another srebrenica ..... we have had enough of governments falling here last two years, without bush his help i might add! biggrin_o.gif I have my doubts about UN operations, if i read how things went in ex yugoslavia with things like getting airsupport and stuff .... what a mess.

When hasn't the UN dropped the ball? The sooner that organization is dissolved, the better I will feel.

Quote[/b] ]When hasn't the UN dropped the ball? The sooner that organization is dissolved, the better I will feel.

Aha. So what led you to this smart conclusion ?

Not really but I have doubts that the ones critizising our work actually know what we have done in the past and how many of my comrades and friends lost their lives during such operations only to keep some civillians alive and grant them better living conditions.

The ones critizising or judging UN operations by measurable sucess have actually no idea about the reasons why UN troops are deployed to several countries.

We are not there to fight for a victory but to ensure that civillians and refugees are not killed, taken hostage are freed, etc.

We deliver food to starving people, we build wells in regions where 70 percent of the kids die of bad water or no water at all, we build schools, roadways, reestablish public security, etc.

Are the US forces able to do that ? Check iraq for a current overview on US army´s ability to provide such services.

You wanna get rid of the UN ?

You take my job and try to do it.

I hate those uninformed opinions. And I dislike the phrases that come up everytime the UN gets actually involved.

If the US and other countries would take their responsibility more serious the UN wouldnt have to send troops to locations all over the planet.

It´s not war the UN is made for. It´s there to guarantee that innocent people can live a peacefulll and maybe better life in the future.

A little example:

We provided shelter for civil war refugees in several african countries over the last 20 years. If the UN wasn´t there numerous more casualties would be on the list.

Personally I don´t care if it takes millions to save the lifes of some hundred people and rebuild their local infrastructure without looting them for the next 20 years.

I am convinced my job makes sense.

Who of the guys critizising the UN without actually knowing what we do can say that also ?

Muamar Khadafi heads the humanitarian aid committee....the end.

Oh, and thanks for the bang-up jub during Gothic Serpeant.

1. I do not believe in world government, which the UN is a precursor of.

2. The UN takes too long to decide what to do due to internal bickering.

3. With friends like you, who needs enemies? The General Assembly dislikes the U.S. and Israel for the most part. Why should I like the UN?

4. I'm not interested in humanitarian efforts. That is for the Peace Corps, Red Cross, and State Department. I'm a soldier, my job is to fight wars not hand out food. It's harsh, but it's the truth. I don't want your job.

5. If the UN doesn't exist anymore, another organization will take it's place. Perhaps one more focused on a mission than on squabbling over political ideologies. Something decentalized and less powerful perhaps.

Quote[/b] ]4. I'm not interested in humanitarian efforts. That is for the Peace Corps, Red Cross, and State Department. I'm a soldier, my job is to fight wars not hand out food. It's harsh, but it's the truth. I don't want your job.

This is exactly why conflicts start. If everyone is happy it´s very unlikely that they will uprise against anyone else.

You´re a soldier ?

Where have you been till now ? Wich conflicts have you fought in ?

Aren´t you the one going to college ?

You want to kill ?

You think that violent solutions (like presented by the current TBA ) will lead to peace in longterm ?

Don´t you read news, or do you simply fade out everything that doesn´t fit the US spirit?

It takes more balls to be an UN soldier than a regular grunt believe me. We dont kill people with 2500 lb bombs, but negotiate with them eye to eye with less than 1 meter buffer between them and us.

All the things you said till now have a real propaganda tendency but again where have you fought ?

Quote[/b] ]1. I do not believe in world government, which the UN is a precursor of.

Hmm last thing I heard it was the US undermining territorial rights and starting wars, so who is going for the world government ?

Quote[/b] ]3. With friends like you, who needs enemies? The General Assembly dislikes the U.S. and Israel for the most part. Why should I like the UN?

Aha so it´s all the nations who were betrayed by the TBA that are now guilty for Powell´s presentation of faked evidence to start a war. Is this what you are trying to tell me ?

Are you kidding or is this really your twice-checked opinion ?