Sign in to follow this  
Silent N Deadly

Best rally sport game...

I was wondering what Rally game do you guys think is best. I want to buy a Rally game but I can’t decide which is the coolest. I am looking for something with really realistic handling, and graphics. Also if it has good game play, and lots of cars and maps. Thanks… smile.gif

Nothing really great that I have seen, waiting for Colin McRae Rally 3 to come out on PC.

CMR2 was definately good fun and had a fairly good feel to it. Besides that I only laughed hard at the other rally games...

I switched to F1 series from EA sports, and Viper Racing has been my love for years. (you know what I mean...)

EDIT: Mobil 1 rally was a joke too, everything but the driving was great. wow.gif

My favorite was always Rally Championship 2000 (Mobil 1 Rally Champ in U.S).  It's handling wasn't spectacular but it has the most realistic rally stages and overall "rally experience" of any game.  All the other ones are just loops, over-exaggerated sliding, and driving directly against other drivers... which doesn't represent the rally experience (if you know what a true rally is like).

http://pc.hotgames.com/games/rallyc2/review.htm

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,3758/

For the ultimate in realism, get Rally Trophy, don't even bother screwing around with anything else, I've played them all and I used to be a pretty serious racing simmer, but I can't seem to find the time latley. From the stats you might think those cars seem pretty slow. Just try driving one, you'll be humbled pretty quick tounge.gif

Rally Trophy

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cybrid @ 13 May 2003,00:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For the ultimate in realism, get Rally Trophy, don't even bother screwing around with anything else, I've played them all and I used to be a pretty serious racing simmer, but I can't seem to find the time latley. From the stats you might think those cars seem pretty slow. Just try driving one, you'll be humbled pretty quick tounge.gif

Rally Trophy<span id='postcolor'>

I never played that one. I was turned off by the older cars. I want to race Evos, WRX's, Focuses, etc etc

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ 13 May 2003,06:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My favorite was always Rally Championship 2000 (Mobil 1 Rally Champ in U.S).<span id='postcolor'>

Same here. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ 13 May 2003,06:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">EDIT: Mobil 1 rally was a joke too, everything but the driving was great. wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

So you never learned powersliding with that game? I think the driving is great in Mobil 1 once you get the hang of it. smile.gif

Yeah sure, something was very unrealstic about it if I didn't like it. smile.gif I think I remember, it was terribly unrealsitic, nothing like a real car.

I would have to try it again and tell you to be sure.

EDIT: Or maybe I know how to power slide in real cars but M1 Champ is a joke. wink.gif Again, I have to check that game out someday and double check.

My favorites (well, maybe not all of these are strictly rally games but who cares):

1). Test Drive 2

2). Need for Speed: Porsche 2000

3). 1nsane

4). Need for Speed 4

I like Live for Speed too, because it's the most realistic racing game I've ever played

I think the only rally game I had was Screamers 2. (I think that was the name.) I enjoyed it for a few days. I remember they had 3 differnt cars, one with front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and 4 wheel drive.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ 13 May 2003,10:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah sure, something was very unrealstic about it if I didn't like it.   smile.gif   I think I remember, it was terribly unrealsitic, nothing like a real car.

I would have to try it again and tell you to be sure.

EDIT: Or maybe I know how to power slide in real cars but M1 Champ is a joke.  wink.gif  Again, I have to check that game out someday and double check.<span id='postcolor'>

I can tell you what it is. It's the pivot point in the driving model. It was workable though. You could change the driving properties via a config file. I did alot of modding to that game. You could crank up the damage so hitting a tree would end your race.. like in a real rally.

You are probably right...

anyway, if I was to buy a rally game now, I would wait for CMR3, honest.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AirwolfPL @ 13 May 2003,17:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I like Live for Speed too, because it's the most realistic racing game I've ever played<span id='postcolor'>

I recommend trying netKar if you like (free) realistic racing games. smile.gif

Can you guys recommend a good formula 1 game? Preferably on that runs on older machines aswell smile.gif

F1 2001 by EA sports is pretty good IMO.

How old of a machine? Maybe Indy Car Racing, the original. tounge.gif

There was also CART Precision Racing by Microsoft, it was quite good technically but abused the systems back then. (I'm a turbocharged fan so I loved that thing)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpeedyDonkey @ 13 May 2003,23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can you guys recommend a good formula 1 game? Preferably on that runs on older machines aswell smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Grand Prix Legends. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ 13 May 2003,22:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">F1 2001 by EA sports is pretty good IMO.

How old of a machine?  Maybe Indy Car Racing, the original.  tounge.gif

There was also CART Precision Racing by Microsoft, it was quite good technically but abused the systems back then. (I'm a turbocharged fan so I loved that thing)<span id='postcolor'>

with slow system i ment around 700mhz gf4mx460 and 384mb ram

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Grand Prix Legends<span id='postcolor'>

Oh i have that one somewhere, i´ve got to find the cd.

Oh yeah, with that system you could try F1 2001, certainly you won't regret it.

Thanks for the tip ... now that i think about it, i had F1 2001 on Playstation before i sold the whole thing. Anyway it was great! Im gonna see if i can find a demo or something first though

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpeedyDonkey @ 15 May 2003,15:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Grand Prix Legends<span id='postcolor'>

Oh i have that one somewhere, i´ve got to find the cd.<span id='postcolor'>

Just remember to download DirectX update for it if you don't have it already. And if you have a force feedback wheel then search the net for instructions on how to get it working in GPL (or ask me).

Colin McRae Rally 3 demo is out for PC, 121MB have a look.

I hope CMR 3 will beat CMR 2, but I`m sceptical after the terrible DTM Race Driver from Codemasters. They stabbed a dagger into my heart with this f**king game and I was so looking forward to it. In the end it was nice graphics, terrible steering, terrible AI and frustrating starting positions any time (position 6 and worse) . mad_o.gif

Yeah I hope so too, I am downloading the demo, but man, 1KB/s... we'll see.

Well I've tried the CMR-3 demo ladies and gents: I think it's very good. It will probably be the most realistic handling Rally game...

So far I tried only keyboard setup but the car seems to do what a real one does at first try, the graphics are stunning and damage is nice. Another neat thing is the driver and co-driver move around in the car according to seemingly real physics. So do the parts that are hanging off the car.

tounge_o.gif Hood will even open up and block your vision if you screw up. (you will don't worry)

And they even added standing water, I don't remember CMR-2 having that. Anyway I don't want to spoil it.

Bad stuff: It's not completely finished, like they say it's 95%. It doesn't seem to crash though, which is good.

Sounds need a tiny bit of work IMO. Fade (no not BIS fade), the graphics are great but there seem to be so many shading effects on the car that colors are paled out, the rest of the world is fine. If you even look at some screenies you can see a very red car turning into a sticky-note pink one. That's exactly my worry with OFP2, hope they watch for that.

And, hopefully there will be some sort of car setup, hmm. smile_o.gif

Worth a try.