Sign in to follow this  
bn880

Graphics engine improvement

No shit..after looked at AA and finding some things in OFP:E that will no doubt be in AA and then hearing of the AA improvements,I can only imagine what will happen and how things will look and act,we can only speculate..eitehr way,BIS apparently knows what their doing...durr biggrin_o.gif

A few months behind and I can't believe people STILL fret over that old Dec2005 picture that has looong since been updated. To be honest I don't see whats wrong with AA's textures,they look great imo.

Ah fuck,bumped it,shoulda looked at date..*coughs*..no more posting in the mornings for me...........oh well,what else have we got to yack about in terms of game2?

Good news about the possibilities of foliage/particles/eyecandy in "Game2" with DirectX 10. I was reading an interview on crysis and the guy mentioned some features of dx10.......

"…performance benefits and especially particle performance benefits. In terms of foliage density, for example, it's centered upon having large amounts of very small objects. In that respect, it's heavily optimized…â€

I guess thats one way crytek are able to have such lush forests. http://www.crysis-online.com/Media/Images/Screenshots/Jungle-04.jpg

and..... “For the consumer, DX10 means higher framerates, potentially more characters on screen, and an increase in lighting because of the unified pixel and vertex shaders.â€

Here's the link to the article by the way.... http://www.crysis-online.com/Media/Other/Edge/Edge-page%208.jpg

And to the other pages of the interview(s).... http://www.crysis-online.com/Media/Other/

]http://www.republika.pl./funnyguy1/images/armatank.jpg

One of the scanned screens. Those objects do look like made of glass, or iluminated by a nuclear blast...

It`s not really realistic to have a heavy, dirty armour looking like that...

edit:

On some screens ArmA looks like a cartoon...

Both ArmA and Game 2 need better looking explosions and fire effects...not to mention smoke..

edit: important: It`s ArmA screen of course...

Oh my gosh don't tell me your thinking thats a real image thats new or something,that image is dated past Dec 05.

As for Game2,the images were extrelemy beta if even that,the lighting in the desert area was really high but in the woodland areas it wasn't,we haven't seen anything else of game2 so discusion of its graphics are rather irrelevant.

Those images are a year or so old,and please stop with the crytek stuff for crying out loud,their not the same game,they do not have the same goals,if you want crysis go play crysis,if want armed assault go play (when its out) armed assault,but for goodness sake stop with the "omg it no has uber pretty graphics" I'm not saying the one about the forest was related to that however I have seen alot of comments about graphics banghead.gif Graphics are nothin but eyecandy,gameplay is more important,and you forget that even if a game has pretty graphisc,not everyone is going to be able to play them at tops.

Thanks for turning my positive post into something negative. I did not in any way compare Game2 to Crysis. I mean wow, I mention “crysis†and you get all bent out of shape.

The point is, DX10 can have some potential benefits on their next generation game (Game2).

I hate to even post any picture from “Game2â€, since the final game MIGHT NOT LOOK ANYTHING LIKE THIS, but to give you an EXAMPLE......... http://www.armedassault.org/web2...._74.jpg

See that the draw distance for the rocks and grass end at about where the two vehicles are? If DX10 is heavily optimized for "having large amounts of very small objects", then maybe "Game2" can have a longer draw distance for all the grass/rocks/ect... without taking a big framerate hit.

And something like this has both gameplay benefits (If you see an enemy soldier out past the draw distance, he stands out. If the draw distance was way out there, it would make him harder to spot) and graphical benefits (Obviously grass and rocks don't disapear at 100 or so meters). I'm sure there are many other possibilities, this was just the first thing that came to my mind when reading that interview.

Sorry,I was up late that night and quite in a bitchy mood,won't happen again x.x

So what your saying is with DX10 that the grass can be rendered from far distances rather than being rendered as you get within 5 or so feet?

Rather curious how that works without eating much CPU power,but as it states its optimized for it...wonder how that works anyway,I suppose theres not much to say int erms of positive ther than we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't know if it's the right place for my idea...

Script programmable screens in vehicles  - NOT like in OFP! Just insert "screen" face in object model, set "off-state" texture and in unit config declare external data input script (they could use radar, TV, nightvision (multirendering), weapons & components status etc. with adjustable fonts, text & dialogs placement, colors...). I think it will be VERY useful ability of engine.

edit: weapon and artilerry optics could be rendered by this way! This could be the most realistic scope simulation ever made!

volumetric clouds/fog/smoke/fire

haze and blur effect

volumetric clouds are unneeded - GAME2 will be soldier simulator !NO PLANE simulator!

Volumetric clouds not free - its need power - this power is better in simulation than beauty

lol a I see fog wink_o.gif

shot3.jpg

volumetric clouds are unneeded - GAME2 will be soldier simulator !NO PLANE simulator!

Volumetric clouds not free - its need power - this power is better in simulation than beauty

lol a I see fog wink_o.gif

[im]http://www.virtualbattlespace.com/images/shot3.jpg[/img]

even far cry 2 (crysis) who will be relased in 2007 will have these features but this is too much for a game to come out in 3 or 4 years? icon_rolleyes.gif

even far cry 2 (crysis) who will be relased in 2007 will have these features but this is too much for a game to come out in 3 or 4 years?  icon_rolleyes.gif

its useless waste of power which could be used elsewhere (AI for example) wink_o.gif

i dunno if anyone mentioned this earlier but what if dynamic textures can be made somehow? Like say if you got a clean uniform or clothes and then you hit the dirt , i think the uniform should get dusty or muddy or something wink_o.gif

would add alot to the realism factor but its maybe a impossible thing to do? tounge2.gif i was thinking when they talked about for armed assult that you can define materials like wood and rock and metals. Like if you shoot on wood the bullets go trhough but on metal they richochet off. Maybe ground textures or objects can be defines how they could affect clothes... Like swimming or walking in a lake shore or in the lake tounge2.gif your clothes would be heavy and wet and you would maybe feel yourself weighing a bit heavy with all that water that your clothes have sucked up biggrin_o.gif

Depth of field gets my vote. It'll make spotting infantry types so much harder, more realistic, and useful. The distance where the crosshair would land at if acting like a laser, gets the sharpness.

If that can't be done, at least blur everything but a semi large circle around the crosshair? Please! For the love of the infantry!

Also, blue mornings, right before the sun rises, would be great. It'll certainly add to the atmosphere and realism.

Sorry,I was up late that night and quite in a bitchy mood,won't happen again x.x

So what your saying is with DX10 that the grass can be rendered from far distances rather than being rendered as you get within 5 or so feet?

Rather curious how that works without eating much CPU power,but as it states its optimized for it...wonder how that works anyway,I suppose theres not much to say int erms of positive ther than we'll just have to wait and see.

Well, Microsoft has already claimed that gaming performance will be 4 times better with DirectX 10, so... I mean, you trust Microsoft, right? I mean it's not like Microsoft has never owned up to what they've promised before, right? I mean there's no way that Bill Gates has an actual trap door in his office for when he meets with "opposition" or linux advocates, right? whistle.gif

Depth of field gets my vote. It'll make spotting infantry types so much harder, more realistic, and useful. The distance where the crosshair would land at if acting like a laser, gets the sharpness.

If that can't be done, at least blur everything but a semi large circle around the crosshair? Please! For the love of the infantry!

Also, blue mornings, right before the sun rises, would be great. It'll certainly add to the atmosphere and realism.

..Or just remove the corsshair, unless your talking about ironsights...

Please correct me if i did not understand your post correctly.

lol no, i'm talking about depth of field.. where your "crosshair" is pointing at is the object/depth in focus.

-Self shadowing

-Soft shadowing

-High dyanic range lighting

-Support for 2048*2048 textures

-More sophisticated material system, incorperating more material attributes, including fresnels

-Frame buffer effects

-Post processing effects, like motion blur

-Support for colored light sources

-More fluid animations

-Virtual displacement mapping

-Frame buffer effects

-Radiance trasnfer

-Subsurface scattering

-Light attentuation

-Light refraction

-Volumetric flames

-***Better explosions***

beat that smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]-More fluid animations
How about a total reworked animation systems from scratch. wink_o.gif ArmAs animation are very fluid yet there are still many limitations attached to it.

Quote[/b] ]-More fluid animations
How about a total reworked animation systems from scratch. wink_o.gif ArmAs animation are very fluid yet there are still many limitations attached to it.

Yes, agreed, a totally new animation system is needed.

The lower body should be independent from the upperbody, i don't know what it's called in english but i mean animations should have possible subanimations... current system is too stiff and unflexible.

I Have Dricx !wink_o.gif running Vista Prm, Looks Great

Motherbroad QX6700 2

Will A Dell 710 H2c Ass Kicker

I would like "inverse kinematics"