Sign in to follow this  
N.o.R.S.u

Half-life 2 is out (and CS:Source)

Quote[/b] ]It is?!  Its not like I’m telling people to go and download the game

I know. But, talk of cracks and warez at all... is verboten. So I was just giving a friendly reminder. Personally I don't see the problem with discussing it. However it's better to hear it from someone else other than have a mod yell at you.

Quote[/b] ]Interesting read. Contains Spoilers:

Colossus kind of beat you to it by... five posts. tounge_o.gif

But yeah. It's a good read.

Those are all mostly correct on the HL timeline page. Some of it was taken from the book "HL2: Raising the Bar"

What's this book about exactly. Is it fiction or is it similar to Masters of Doom?

Those are all mostly correct on the HL timeline page. Some of it was taken from the book "HL2: Raising the Bar"
What's this book about exactly. Is it fiction or is it similar to Masters of Doom?

The book review

Wait, so the soldiers you fight are former humans? I'm confused! I thought those were the original Combine soldiers. crazy_o.gif

Mixture of humans and other race's DNA which forms Combines (Combine those two races and you get a Combine)

Yeah, it's a coffee table book for people who are addicted to games tounge_o.gif

Bed time story biggrin_o.gif

PS: I can't find your CS server blackdog~

well i guess there isnt a linux server

66.167.163.92:27015 is my game... type connect <ip> in console of hl2dm

Yeah great! Saw it few minutes ago, finally HLË› DM. I've played it for a few minutes and it was fun! Throwing boxes against the others with the g-gun biggrin_o.gif

OK I admit it Im stuck in HL2 and cant go any further. Im in the room where there are pipes on the ceiling that you can walk on. You need to walk on it to get through a vent into the next room. Trouble. is I cant jump up high enough to get to the vent. Anyone have any ideas on how to get through it.

That video is somewhat inaccurate I think. I tried doing the trick with that jar on the guy with the static machinegun and I got shot to hell. I tried it repeated times.

The guy could have just as easily bound a key to notarget...

However. Yeah. Halflife 2's ai isn't the greatest, but at least it's better than... oh. Doom 3. Which was very unimpressive. Doom 3 had a lot of predefined events in which the ai looked like it was doing something intelligent.

They use cover although not as effectively as in farcry. That one part in the vents was kind of an unfair example as it was one of those points where the AI was explicitly directed to go somewhere. As it's not as effective as using cover. They're going to get shot a bit more.

I'd say other entities such as manhacks and the helicopters were much better examples of competent and convincing AI.

Yes, the helicopters are bloody smart little bastards they are...

If they are flying, and your taking cover behind a large crate, they wont sit there and shoot at it, it will move its ass to make sure it's hitting you.

But I don't like this "steam"-thing. What if I want to play the game again 5 years from now and Valve no longer exists? I wont be able to install it then... mad_o.gif

I don't like this steam-thing, too. And that's why I'll not buy HL2.

EULAs are null and void in Germany because they infringe German copyright laws and they are not accessible until you've bought the game. But with this steam-thing you are pressed into another contract in order to play the game --the steam licence.

I'm scared how the gamers accept such a disfranchisement. The last five (ad-)years with previews, reports, source theft etc. take effect, I guess...

OK I admit it Im stuck in HL2 and cant go any further. Im in the room where there are pipes on the ceiling that you can walk on. You need to walk on it to get through a vent into the next room. Trouble. is I cant jump up high enough to get to the vent. Anyone have any ideas on how to get through it.

This is in the sewers bit right?

Bear in mind this'll be a spoiler for anyone who hasn't got further than the Route Kanal level:

In which case you don't have to get into the air vent, you have to go into the room next door and raise the water level using the red valve on the pipe in the middle of the room. You have to jump down there using a series of other pipes but it's pretty easy to reach.

After you've done that, go back into the other room, there will be some manhacks (the flying buggers with a red light on the front and blades) that come out of the vent you were trying to reach. Once you've dealt with them, dive into the water and head down the ladder through the grated floor in the room. You should be under water and be able to swim through a tunnel in the wall with red lights running through it over to the other side.

But I don't like this "steam"-thing. What if I want to play the game again 5 years from now and Valve no longer exists? I wont be able to install it then... mad_o.gif

I don't like this steam-thing, too. And that's why I'll not buy HL2.

EULAs are null and void in Germany because they infringe German copyright laws and they are not accessible until you've bought the game. But with this steam-thing you are pressed into another contract in order to play the game --the steam licence.

I'm scared how the gamers accept such a disfranchisement. The last five (ad-)years with previews, reports, source theft etc. take effect, I guess...

That fore sure, but what we wanna do? I wanted to play HLË› because I played HL. I didn't buy the game because of Counterstrike. I bought it because of the graphics and gameplay.

And if I've enough I'll quit playing HLË›, quit using Steam and deleted my Steam account.

I'm mad that you will have to pay for Day of Defeat: Source when it comes out...  mad_o.gif That PoS of mod called Counter-Strike is "free" but DoD is not... mad_o.gif BAH.. The CS community is large and can take a hit if they sold it but DoD community is small compared to CS... crazy_o.gif

I didn't pay for DoD:S - it came with my purchase of HL2. I just have to wait to download it now. sad_o.gif

That fore sure, but what we wanna do? I wanted to play HLË› because I played HL.

I played HL1, I even tried to build some levels with worldcraft (one of my pre-OFP addon actions btw).

I wanted to play HL2 (even if I'd have to boot Windows), too.

But not under these conditions. sad_o.gif

I didn't pay for DoD:S - it came with my purchase of HL2. I just have to wait to download it now.  sad_o.gif

Because you got "special" HL 2 package...I forgot which steam package came with DoD: Source included.. rock.gif

That video is somewhat inaccurate I think. I tried doing the trick with that jar on the guy with the static machinegun and I got shot to hell. I tried it repeated times.

I haven't seen the video, but you mean static MG's won't fire at you while you carry an object in front of you? I noticed it the day it came out and used it to my advantage several times. So silly to walk toward an MG using a tyre as a shield, looking through it at the enemy all the time. biggrin_o.gif

I don't know why everyone bashes HL2's AI though, I thought that especially the Combine were quite intelligent and aggressive. *shrug* Maybe I've been lucky. It seems that AI is the least of HL2's problems.

I have to say I found the Combine AI to be quite fun to play against at times. It surprised me more than once on the early levels, by circling me and using cover quite effectivly. And the gunships are REALLY annoying, being on open ground with one of them around is a nightmare. But after a while, like with the FarCry AI you are able to predict the AI's every move.

Oh, and I have a confession to make... I'm starting to like CS:S! Too bad it's the same maps as the original CS though! I really love rushing with my entire team as CT in CS_Office.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>MY SERVER IS UP: MILFORD'S HOUSE OF PANCAKES

216.32.85.90:2302

IT'S PACKED 20/20 RIGHT NOW!</span>

Oh, and I have a confession to make... I'm starting to like CS:S! Too bad it's the same maps as the original CS though! I really love rushing with my entire team as CT in CS_Office.

It's not CS2. wink_o.gif It's exactly what it says it is - Counter Strike using the Source engine.

Kinda threw me off too. I'm waiting for DoD2 now. sad_o.gif