Sign in to follow this  
DracoPaladore

African militia released

Hi

nice idea and nice addons ecept for MGgunner and militia soldier 3 they turn white.

Infight or missions the militia are useless, they cant even win from one STT desert squad while they were with 6 squads on almost an open terrain.

I tried several times and still the outcome is STT desert squad wins with 3/5 deads and if the medic is dead 2 wounded also at the end.

If I start to fire and fight the STT squad have only 1/3 kills

and I make an easy 24/28 kills

even in close range fights they miss me most of the time.

So fix this? this is totally unrealistic and not worth any mission

Actually, it's pretty realistic,

Most "militia" cannot hit the broad side of a barn from the inside, weapons training for them consists of, "this is the magazine, put it in here, point it that way and pull the trigger"

Untrained troops tend to have poor marksmanship skills, lousy fire discipline, NO unit cohesion and piss poor morale.

It's why most countries use regular armies, instead of relying on militia forces. smile.gif

I really love the characters, however there are problems with the weapons. The AK47/74 still have burst, and have a custom sound ONLY for the full auto. Please just make a normal AK47 using Single/Auto, and with the single shot sound for the auto. The HD M16 also has sound problems, using the burst sound in soundcontinuous = 1, which is not right. I'd correct them myself, but then I can't play online with them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pzvg @ Mar. 28 2003,21:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually, it's pretty realistic,

Most "militia" cannot hit the broad side of a barn from the inside, weapons training for them consists of, "this is the magazine, put it in here, point it that way and pull the trigger"

Untrained troops tend to have poor marksmanship skills, lousy fire discipline, NO unit cohesion and piss poor morale.

It's why most countries use regular armies, instead of relying on militia forces. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

OMG......we have a winner today

In an open area no cover and it`s 48 militia v 9 any nation highly trained soldiers, you will say that the 9 high skilled soldiers go into battle and kill all 50 militia soldiers ?. biggrin.gif

Well in REAL LIFE those 9 soldiers run like hell and in the meanwhile asking for backup, aircover, artillery fire and a resque operation istantly, but anyways they ran like hell to get out of there.....you want to implement that into highly trained\equiped western soldiers addons too ? tounge.gif

If you guys look at kill ratios from many modern conflicts where trained soldiers like the ones in OFP go up against the kind of militia Bibmi made here, you'd see that it wouldn't be unusual for a 9 man squad being able to wipe out a platoon or more (40+) of militia/thugs.

Since I probably have to revert to movies to convince you of this (as I doubt many of you have studied the Rhodesian Civil War, other wars in Southern Africa and French interventions) look at BHD. 18 Americans killed for, by some estimates, 1000 Somalis. You do the math.

Great work Bibmi! Love the militia's clothes - nice to have some decent irregulars in-game...

I'll just echo the others by saying a more motley group of weapons should be thrown in - FN-FALs, G3s etc.

As for the overall crapiness of milita accuracy, Hellfish6 and pzvg are spot on - no training + no maintenance of weapon = bad soldier. I remember seeing an African militiaman (I think it was in Rwanda) a few years ago try and fire his G3 single-handedly - threw him back a fair distance and looked like it broke his arm...

No major problems, just those mentioned before - missing LODs at a far distance, militia soldier 3 has no ammunition etc.

However, I get the error message "No entry '.modelSpecial" whenever I insert an RPG soldier. I know this isn't a problem with the pack itself, but it's been bugging me for some time now...any help?

Excellent stuff in any case - I look forward to those South American guerillas you've got coming smile.gif

If you want to increase the militias effectiveness just give some of the a standard AK instead of the high dispersion models.

Same if you want to gove them G3's or FAL's. Easy to do in the init line...

Shadow, all I will say is if you think 9 soldiers will run from 50 ragtag militia, then maybe you have no idea what is true.

<here's a hint, we never ran, and the odds were worse>

You DON'T run if there's no cover, jesus don't they teach common sense anymore? Can YOU outrun a bullet?

You hit the dirt and lay down fire until they break,die, or overrun your sorry ass.

Sorry folks but I'm getting the ass, REMF's tend to piss me off.

Think I'll leave the forums before Denoir has to ban me

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pzvg @ Mar. 28 2003,23:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Think I'll leave the forums before Denoir has to ban me<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif oh how i hope and pray

Where are you guys seeing this LOD problem? I've engaged these guys at all kinds of ranges and I haven't seen anything wrong with them. confused.gif

I was looking down from a chopper to village which I filled with these guys, a ghost town!

There is a lod problem...which has been sorted along with the triangles when using vehicles....

Thanks for all the feedback...its helping make v1.1 better...just a few things....

1. well, the lods were my fault I failed to include a single texture in the pack. The new lods will work in v1.1 but won't be of a very high quality...the reason being the number of different models will all use a single texture at the furtherest lod (I could add a seperate five textures for each unit but that would increase the size of the pack considerably)

2. the triangles....an old problem...I never even thought of testing the units entering and exiting vehicles...alreadt resolved for v1.1

3. the FAL was to be the weapon of choice for the Government forces but I didn't have the high dispersion version so I used the m - series. This will be changed in v1.1

4. the wep .cpp.....I can't do wep cpp's...blame vade wink.gif

5. balance of forces...in v1.1 i will add "elite" units for the militia armed with standard weapons (probably use the models that are half camo half civilian). Then you could mix the groups to your liking to increase the effectiveness of the fighting force...i will add a new model to simulate african government special forces with standard weapons....

Norsu.....they all ran indoors when they heard the chopper flying over....clever hey wink.gif (its the lod problem)......

Naah the missing textures just made them all look like ghosts (all white) wink.gif. And bibmi, to take out the "burst" from weapons, just remove the word burst from this config line:

modes[] = {Single, Burst, FullAuto};

You might as well delete the whole Class Burst -section.

How about adding armed African civilians? Say a man with an AK47 with only 2 mags, or a man with a Tokarev only. Hopefully Vade will fix the weapon problems, since they were the only huge prob besides the LOD's in this version.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Mar. 29 2003,21:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about adding armed African civilians? Say a man with an AK47 with only 2 mags, or a man with a Tokarev only. Hopefully Vade will fix the weapon problems, since they were the only huge prob besides the LOD's in this version.<span id='postcolor'>

I kind of thought that these militiamen WERE civillians. Granted, a few of them have a piece of miltiary clothing, but you see that every day even in America. But, I'd of course love to see more units like these. biggrin.gif

Bibmi, just wanted to say thanks for a great addon!

As others I encountered a few problems with the LOD's, some guy without ammo etc. Especially like that you included the high dispersion ammo option only wish someone would do high dispersion versions of all the BIS standard ammo.

Looking forward to the next version...

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Mar. 30 2003,07:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Mar. 29 2003,21:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about adding armed African civilians? Say a man with an AK47 with only 2 mags, or a man with a Tokarev only. Hopefully Vade will fix the weapon problems, since they were the only huge prob besides the LOD's in this version.<span id='postcolor'>

I kind of thought that these militiamen WERE civillians. Granted,  a few of them have a piece of miltiary clothing, but you see that every day even in America. But, I'd of course love to see more units like these.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I don't mean militia, I just mean an EXTREMELY unexperienced everyday civilian with a pistol or his own AK47.

If you want the guy to have very little skill or inexperience just move his skill bar all the way to the left. Gives them really horrible accuracy and stuff.