Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wires @ Mar. 21 2003,03:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They aren't using USMC chopper pilots again are they  confused.gif it's happened before and a big op failed - they only used them because the USMC was going to be left out too. Stupid prideful commanders  mad.gif

It could very well be the appauling weather atm with all the big dust storms. So BBC says 12 US 4 Brit and Fox says 12 Brit and 4 US not really surprising.<span id='postcolor'>

Pardon me if I seem testy, but could you fill me in on this failed operation?  I'd be interested to hear about a combat operation where we had to weasel a role for ourselves.

The problem is not with the pilots -- they receive the same training other helo pilots get.  It's the birds.  The newest -46's are over 30 years old.

Truly sorry for the loss of the Brits.  

Per Mare, Per Terram

This is what I got from the news, but it's another site:

palace7.jpg

On the map:

palace5.jpg

palace6.jpg

well,that is funny. a Swedish mil intel guy and a fat American trying to look at other places tounge.gif and both are wrong. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Mar. 21 2003,07:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well,that is funny. a Swedish mil intel guy and a fat American trying to look at other places tounge.gif and both are wrong. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Wrong? I wasn't wrong smile.gif The site that I showed was the one on the photograph. These second set of pictures that I showed were of another site!

Breaking news - 10 rockets have been fired at Kuwait.

No source yet.

(that sounds silly I know biggrin.gif but I just heard it at norwegian television) .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 21 2003,07:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Breaking news - 10 rockets have been fired at Kuwait.

No source yet.

(that sounds silly I know  biggrin.gif  but I just heard it at norwegian television) .<span id='postcolor'>

CNN is on in the background, and there were air raid sirens in Kuwait. But I havent heard anything else as of yet.

tv news here is odd sometimes its quicker than websites and sometimes its slower.

Recent Reuters report says 2,000 Coalition tanks (armored vehicles?) inside Iraq, up to 90 miles deep.

I believe its the 3rd infrantry (as reported by Fox news). Fox also has a person with that group that is transmitting live images.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Mar. 21 2003,08:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I believe its the 3rd infrantry (as reported by Fox news).  Fox also has a person with that group that is transmitting live images.<span id='postcolor'>

well, it's the 3rd ID and the 1st MEU and Brits combined, I think (if they are talking about tanks only instead of AFV in general). the only question mark so far is the 101st ABD- they seem to have dropped off the radar.

Also, the chopper crash numbers have been revised downwards. Instead of 12 Brits and 4 Yanks, it is 8 Brits and 4 Yanks. Those are official numbers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Mar. 21 2003,17:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wires @ Mar. 21 2003,03:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They aren't using USMC chopper pilots again are they  confused.gif it's happened before and a big op failed - they only used them because the USMC was going to be left out too. Stupid prideful commanders  mad.gif

It could very well be the appauling weather atm with all the big dust storms. So BBC says 12 US 4 Brit and Fox says 12 Brit and 4 US not really surprising.<span id='postcolor'>

Pardon me if I seem testy, but could you fill me in on this failed operation?  I'd be interested to hear about a combat operation where we had to weasel a role for ourselves.

The problem is not with the pilots -- they receive the same training other helo pilots get.  It's the birds.  The newest -46's are over 30 years old.

Truly sorry for the loss of the Brits.  

Per Mare, Per Terram<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm sorry to be inspecific but I cannot remember the op name or exact target I'll tell you what I do remember - CH-47s were going to drop a ground force during desert storm. The army were providing the ground elements with airforce doing the transport and cover operation with naval support. Some USMC commander had a whinge that they weren't invlolved so they used USMC pilots for the choppers. There was a dust storm but nothing spectacular however only a few minutes into the flight 1 pilot got lost and returned to base soon after, 2 others turned back only minutes from the dz leaving a small force without the equipment they needed for the op. The ones that got there had no problems at all confused.gif very odd.

Anyhow i did not mean to be offensive and I appologise come to think of it it was kind of a useless post. I in no way blame anyone for the crash and my thoughts and prayers are with the families of all and any casualties of this war.

Absolutely fascinating. For the past few hours, I've watched the 2nd Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division drive all the way from the Kuwaiti DMZ to wherever they are right now, all live. Too bad it's all via videophone (vidphone=crappy quality). Apparently, southern Iraq sucks ass as far as scenery goes smile.gif the major attraction is wreckage circa 1991

I think the 101st ABD just showed up. Reports just indicated that we have taken the airbase in Bamerni in northern Iraq.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Mar. 21 2003,09:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">tv news here is odd sometimes its quicker than websites and sometimes its slower.<span id='postcolor'>

During the last war, my mother was faster on the phone from overseas with notices of incoming scuds than the air raid sirens. tounge.gif

Wait a minute - that's not funny! crazy.gif

AP report of a US Cobra accidentally firing on a US tank. Reports are that one soldier was only lightly wounded.

Well, we've all done that, haven't we? smile.gif

wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 21 2003,09wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, we've all done that, haven't we? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

As a matter of fact, yeah, I have lol

edit: too many times, probably tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 21 2003,05:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 21 2003,10:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, this is the Soviet doctrine star formation for SA-2 sites:

star_of_david.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

That is insanely creepy. wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That star formation isn`t new. As far as I know the commanding unit is centered in the middle. Even good ol` Tom Clancy discribed thatsystem in one of his books where US pilots are shot down and had to be rescued by John Kelly. I just can`t remember the title. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 21 2003,06:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, this is the Soviet doctrine star formation for SA-2 sites:

star_of_david.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Saddam is right! It's a Zionist plot. tounge.giftounge.giftounge.giftounge.giftounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 21 2003,10:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just saw video on Fox of Brits watching Iraqi's surrender.<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe not just any Iraqis - Republican Guards.

BTW, nice Chinook pic at Fox:

13_1_032103_iraq_top1.jpg

Could someone update me on whether the coalition is using depleted uranium shells again? Now that would make the free Iraqis happy.... confused.gif

Or is this considered a political post? If so, my apologies...

the person wanting to know what Tom Clancy book he described the SA-2 site was "Without Remorse"

now back to topic

The Ch-46 Sea Knights have had lots of problems with engines and the compressor blades inside the engines, when the compressor blades fail you get a total engine shutdown, the problem with the sea knight is if one engine goes the other will run hotter than normal to try to compensate and will burn up the engine very quickly causing a engine failure on the only working engine, thus causing a crash....the whole crash incident is very sad and i wish the families of the KIA luck in dealing with their loss...

with that said, the CH-46 has had several problems and in my opinion it should be replaced by something that is less accident prone.

Avon Lady, you said the SA-2 site was a Zionist plot, well if it is i am sure the Iraqis dont know that cause they were trained by the Soviets....kinda ironic i think.

Looks like those Iraqis made the right choice.

Can you believe Australia might miss out on live coverage of the Cricket World Cup because of the war, NOOO! They'll have to stop for a bit or something wink.gif It's criminal...