Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

Anybody else think it's not smart to have a news correspondent going along in a BFV in combat, with a camera and everything? crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 20 2003,23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anybody else think it's not smart to have a news correspondent going along in a BFV in combat, with a camera and everything?  crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It don't like iteither. BUt alteast they aren't broadcasting the battles...

U.S. 7th Cavelry have aparently made contact with Iraqi troops and light armor.

I reckon this is going to be a case of a series of small skirmishes rather that a whole front for a while.

EDIT: Air Raid sirens just went off in Kuwait City.

about them going along with troops the correspondents that have reported have been limited in what they say and also have been reporting by satelite phone.

-edit-

They also seem to be mainly reporting in past tense when it comes to reports on camera and saying very little about were they are when in the present.

Has there been any casualties yet? I heard a Tomahawk killed one and injured fourteen, but that was yesterday. Any skirmishes today? (Sorry I was at school, and I couldn't watch the news)

No casualties atm, there were reports of an Apache going down but the crew were okay, ther has been nothin on over on the UK news.

um Qasr is the port which the RM commandos have supposidly taken.

That AH-64 got back to friendly airspace. Doesn't look like it was downed by enemy fire, more like a mechanical problem confused.gif

probally due to the amount od sandstorms in the area.

I think casualty reports will be few and far between. Not because none are happening, but because it will be part of the strategy of limiting what the media says in order to avoid giving things away to the enemy.

And as far as I am concerned, that's a failrly sound strategy... as long as full reporting can be madeat a point where it will not risk operational security.

i agree warin, im speculating we will see video reorts on what happened tonight (UK time) probally around 24hrs after they happened so around 5 or 6pm GMT tommorow were it will not pose a threat to US/UK/AUS troops.

BBC has reported that there is a rumor that the Iraqis tried to destroy a Kuwaiti oil plant.

Ok...anyone got a good streaming live video that I don't have to pay for so I can watch here at work. BBC keeps cutting out and is iffy at best.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Mar. 20 2003,14:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BBC has reported that there is a rumor that the Iraqis tried to destroy a Kuwaiti oil plant.<span id='postcolor'>

I've heard two things on that. First I head that it was an Iraqi SCUD or some other ballistic missile, or that it was a Tomahawk that splashed down. Now I'm hearing Iraqi ballistic missile again.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Othin @ Mar. 20 2003,21:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've heard that a Brit is in charge of a large number of U.S. Marines, any truth to this?<span id='postcolor'>

The 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), a component of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force (1 MEF), is under the command of Brigadier Dutton, the commander of 3 Commando Brigade.

1 MEF is under the command of USMC LtGen Conway.

Semper Fi

It`s a nice idea to collect information about this attack. But anyone who has been in military service should know that 80-90% of the information in the civil media is pure bullshit confused.gif

MEUs are technically seperate from MEFs, right? Like I know that the 15th MEU is from the 1st MarDiv, but are they always under operational control of 1 MarDiv or CENTCOM?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Mar. 20 2003,23:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It`s a nice idea to collect information about this attack. But anyone who has been in military service should know that 80-90% of the information in the civil media is pure bullshit  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i would say reports from the correspondents going along with the 3rd ID and RM Artillery Reg are fairly reliable although not going to plentiful in there infomation.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Mar. 21 2003,07:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It`s a nice idea to collect information about this attack. But anyone who has been in military service should know that 80-90% of the information in the civil media is pure bullshit  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

What we are doing here is probably one the best ways for the fourm goers to get the truth. Since we have people reporting things from many sources, we can get many sides of the story and piece together the closest thing to the truth (might still be utter untruth though).

Yeah... I'm really liking this news from around the world thing we have going on. Now, where'd Denoir go with his unfiltered Swedish news? confused.gif

I would say hearing the CNN coorespondant saying "What the Hell?!!" right before a shell blows up near them is pretty authentic. wink.gif

That wasn't made up, it hapened today. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Mar. 20 2003,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">MEUs are technically seperate from MEFs, right? Like I know that the 15th MEU is from the 1st MarDiv, but are they always under operational control of 1 MarDiv or CENTCOM?<span id='postcolor'>

<deep breath> Okay... from small to large:

A battalion (e.g. 1st Bn, 5th Marine Regt) is the ground combat element of a MEU.  

A division (e.g. 1 MarDiv) is the gce of a MEF.  Each MEF (we've got three -- I MEF in Pendleton, II MEF in Lejeune, and III MEF in Okinawa) has operational control of it's ground, air, and support elements.

Semper Fi

BBC just showed some footage that was on Iraqi TV of Suddam Hussein meeting with his cabinet. I must say they all looked a little more tired than usual.

You'd look tired too if 72 Cruise Missiles had dropped on your capital in the space of 24hrs wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PHY_Hawkeye @ Mar. 21 2003,08:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You'd look tired too if 72 Cruise Missiles had dropped on your capital in the space of 24hrs  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That is what leads me to believe that it was a very recent meeting, not just some old footage from before the war.