Sign in to follow this  
Othin

Freedom fries 2

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 18 2003,03:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Mar. 18 2003,03:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and swiss worst cheese on this planet is brei (spelling) that rank stench of that horrible stuff brings tears to the eyes. its worse than peeling onions.<span id='postcolor'>

Brie is not Swiss, but French. And it's excellent as is the more piquant version, camembert. And you should let it age. The more it smells, the better it tastes smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

the camembert isn't "piquant" don't think so at least .... in my region there's a little strong cheese made of goat milk , i personnaly hate it , but a lot of elder people here like it , a single slice of it sent to america via airmail and it could be considered as bio-terrorism tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 18 2003,06:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So wait a minute, when the US does it it's ridiculous, stupid, tasteless, pretentious, kindergarten behaviour, pointless, harmless, insular, bordering on racist, and dumb.  (and that's just the first page).

But when the French do it it's funny and worthy of a 7€ donation, even though it's basically saying that they wish our president would choke?

Interesting.  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

you've opened the bal , now assume and don't come to us telling that it's stupid , you (k , not you personnaly , but you know what i mean) started it all

I am lactose intolerant so all cheese sux.

No i'm not but cheese still sux. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Winters @ Mar. 18 2003,18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am lactose intolerant so all cheese sux.

No i'm not but cheese still sux.   tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i have to admit that i don't like cheese too much either ... but i happen to eat some from time to time

Me too, especially on a hamburger biggrin.gif *yummy

I just wanted to get in on all this silliness. wink.gif

This thread made me to go out and buy some blue cheese (there was no camembert or brie in the store so I bought some blue cheese instead). biggrin.gif

Yum yum. tounge.gif

I just love cheese. smile.gif

Edit: Now I really want some red wine with the cheese. sad.gif

LMAO, when i was in the Army we used to call people who kissed up to the brass "Cheese Eaters" as in Butt Cheese.   tounge.gif

What's up with HEAD CHEESE?  It's not made of milk!

headcheese320.jpg

Not a cheese at all, but a sausage made from the meaty bits of the head of a calf or pig (sometimes a sheep or cow) that are seasoned, combined with a gelatinous meat broth and cooked in a mold. When cool, the sausage is unmolded and thinly sliced. It's usually eaten at room temperature. Head cheese can be purchased in delicatessens and many supermarkets. In England this sausage is referred to as brawn,  and in France it's called fromage de tęte  — "cheese of head."

If you ask me, you got to be a real sick-o to eat that.

What the hell is that white semi circle thing at the bottom of the pic, what part of the "head" does that come from?

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Mar. 18 2003,18:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's up with HEAD CHEESE?  It's not made of milk!

headcheese320.jpg

Not a cheese at all, but a sausage made from the meaty bits of the head of a calf or pig (sometimes a sheep or cow) that are seasoned, combined with a gelatinous meat broth and cooked in a mold. When cool, the sausage is unmolded and thinly sliced. It's usually eaten at room temperature. Head cheese can be purchased in delicatessens and many supermarkets. In England this sausage is referred to as brawn,  and in France it's called fromage de tęte  — "cheese of head."

What the hell is that white semi circle thing at the bottom of the pic, what part of the "head" does that come from?

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

thank you for ruining my appetite today. confused.gif

jesus man edit that into a link thats sick. crazy.gif

as for the round semi circle, i'll guess it's a peice of celerly

Looks like a maggot to me smile.gif

Anyways I love Brie, if I promise not to ban Ran for a while maybe he'll send me some with my cigars wink.gif

I thought you get your cigars from Tovarish?!

Together with some Maple Sirup which you also get alternativly from Assault.

And we all know to well what you get from your fellow moderators... crazy.gifbiggrin.gif

And you can all keep your rotten milk...

Does the term 'french fries' have anything to do with France?

Because 'frenching' is cutting into thin strips before cooking.

Dictionary.com (not the best source but I don't have an english dictionary on me at home smile.gif)

Not sure of course,but it seems more logical to me.

Changing the name of something because you don't like the country in question is childlike,when the state does it,well...

This,on the other hand is a satirical reaction to it,and refers to that old pretzel incident.

If it does indeed refer to 'frenching' instead of the country I'd find it pretty funny.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Mar. 18 2003,17:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 18 2003,03:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Mar. 18 2003,03:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and swiss worst cheese on this planet is brei (spelling) that rank stench of that horrible stuff brings tears to the eyes. its worse than peeling onions.<span id='postcolor'>

Brie is not Swiss, but French. And it's excellent as is the more piquant version, camembert. And you should let it age. The more it smells, the better it tastes smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

the camembert isn't "piquant" don't think so at least .... in my region there's a little strong cheese made of goat milk , i personnaly hate it , but a lot of elder people here like it , a single slice of it sent to america via airmail and it could be considered as bio-terrorism tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I happen to love "chevre" . smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Necromancer- @ Mar. 17 2003,19:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Mar. 18 2003,18:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's up with HEAD CHEESE?  It's not made of milk!

headcheese320.jpg

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

thank you for ruining my appetite today.  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Looks very tasty...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 17 2003,20:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">J'adore le fromage français sentant fétide! tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Tu parles bien français, madame Avonlady. Mais... je crois que tu as employer un "translator"...

"What the hell is that white semi circle thing at the bottom of the pic, what part of the "head" does that come from?"

possibly an eye (from the eye socket)

i hear its quite a delicasee in some countries.

hahahah tounge.gif see what ive done there?

delica-see-

aahhahahaahaha ha

oh-

crazy.gif

It reminds me of sausages i used to get at primary school, they had chewy fat and large transparent lumps or gristle in them (looking like eyeballs) and often made me feel sick and once made me vomit

those were the days

this seems to have gone off topic

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah sure FS...

You know better. Hahaha !<span id='postcolor'>

No, not me. The website. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You know FS, your record of arguing about words isn't that great wink.gif. "vehemently opposing" and finding something absurd and self defeating are not the same thing.<span id='postcolor'>

You know what I meant. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes and? The French aren't trying to rename an American food. They're just capitalizing on the link between Pretzels and Bush, a much stronger link than that between France and French Fries<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah I just thought it was ironic.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This was done by private citizens, not elected government officials as with the Freedom Fries. They also aren't aiming the insult at a whole country, just at one person. And it was only done in response to the Freedom Fries.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, out of spite.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't give a fuck about that website. I had a look at it - and several others. Actually, I could only find US websites with information on the Pretzel. Now what does that tell you?<span id='postcolor'>

That the US is the only country with websites on the pretzel? We've got too much time and webspace on our hands. crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That the pretzels whereabouts is pretty much confined to USA.<span id='postcolor'>

Yet the French are sending them to the US.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have no doubt it has german origins - just think about it - does "pretzel" sound very french to you?<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">He named his creation 'pretiola,' Latin for 'little reward.'<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, the other websites I found suggested that it had it's origins from the area between France and Italy - which means it nessecarily have to be pretty close to Germany as well.<span id='postcolor'>

So the French are Spanish because they're pretty close to each other? If the origins had anything to do with Germany they would of mentioned it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why don't you at least try to see the obvious instead of using the same boring arguments as in the Iraq-thread: no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't!<span id='postcolor'>

Why don't you?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 18 2003,16:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't!<span id='postcolor'>

wow.gifYES IT IS! wow.gif

crazy.gif

tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think you're taking this a little bit more seriously then it warrants. I'm an American (in the military no less) and I found it funny. I think it's a bit of innocent humor and as far as I'm concerned it's no worse then the 90808373709 websites that have sprung up in the last few weeks with French jokes, flash cartoons, etc.<span id='postcolor'>

To be honest I'm reacting to their reaction. tounge.gif It pisses me off that they get mad when the US does this, but applaud it when the French do the same thing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I cant believe I even bothered to look for that site... It seems however that pretzels are indeed German. As indicated by the name, which for sure isn't the least bit french. It was also the "invention" of a monk, or so its said.<span id='postcolor'>

According to your quote the pretzel only has German traditions, not origins.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you've opened the bal , now assume and don't come to us telling that it's stupid , you (k , not you personnaly , but you know what i mean) started it all<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe I've miscommunicated my point. I'm not really mad that the French are doing this. Years of public school and access to the internet have given me a pretty thick skin. I'm just a tad upset at how people are reacting to this.

I can't believe I just spent a good 15 minutes arguing about this.

I'm gonna go out. crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 18 2003,22:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You know FS, your record of arguing about words isn't that great wink.gif. "vehemently opposing" and finding something absurd and self defeating are not the same thing.<span id='postcolor'>

You know what I meant. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I know you meant to use words inappropriately to add effect to your argument yet again, and failed miserably, yet again. May I recommend some light reading for you?

0028639979.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes and? The French aren't trying to rename an American food. They're just capitalizing on the link between Pretzels and Bush, a much stronger link than that between France and French Fries<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah I just thought it was ironic.

<span id='postcolor'>

So do I, that's part of the beauty of it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This was done by private citizens, not elected government officials as with the Freedom Fries. They also aren't aiming the insult at a whole country, just at one person. And it was only done in response to the Freedom Fries.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, out of spite.

<span id='postcolor'>

US politicians showed spite first, against a whole country. The French response to this is aimed directly at one person. This was started by the US, so tell me, what do you expect in return from the French? a Freedom Kiss?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think you're taking this a little bit more seriously then it warrants. I'm an American (in the military no less) and I found it funny. I think it's a bit of innocent humor and as far as I'm concerned it's no worse then the 90808373709 websites that have sprung up in the last few weeks with French jokes, flash cartoons, etc.<span id='postcolor'>

To be honest I'm reacting to their reaction. tounge.gif It pisses me off that they get mad when the US does this, but applaud it when the French do the same thing.

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you've opened the bal , now assume and don't come to us telling that it's stupid , you (k , not you personnaly , but you know what i mean) started it all<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe I've miscommunicated my point. I'm not really mad that the French are doing this. Years of public school and access to the internet have given me a pretty thick skin. I'm just a tad upset at how people are reacting to this.

<span id='postcolor'>

It's not every day that someone rebukes the arrogance of a few hick American politicians in such a clever way, so of course we applaud smile.gif.

I still can't get over how funny this is. I didn't think a country that loves Jerry Lewis would be capable of this sort of humor smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 18 2003,22:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yet the French are sending them to the US.

<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I suspect you would find pretzels in europe - you are aware of the fact that we have Coca Cola as well?

If I'm correct the pretzel can be both a snack and some sort of lunch-meal. In France you might use it as a snack - even though I've been to France several times and never seen anything called "pretzel" . But it's definately not used as a lunch meal in France. Try croissants instead!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">He named his creation 'pretiola,' Latin for 'little reward.'<span id='postcolor'>

They speak german many places in Italy. They speak Italian some places in Germany. What does that tell you?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So the French are Spanish because they're pretty close to each other? If the origins had anything to do with Germany they would of mentioned it.<span id='postcolor'>

You are perhaps not aware of the fact that the population located in the border area of France and Spain first of all identify themselves as "Basque" . However, the last time I checked Spain had no border close to Italy or Germany - that is - unless they did a couple of "pre-emtive strikes" lately and seized quite a piece of land - including the Cote d'azur.

Think about this: What is Tex-mex - american or mexican?

What is american pizza - american or italian?

You see the jury is still out on those issues.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 19 2003,14:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I suspect you would find pretzels in europe - you are aware of the fact that we have Coca Cola as well?<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That the pretzels whereabouts is pretty much confined to USA.<span id='postcolor'>

You said it, not me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You are perhaps not aware of the fact that the population located in the border area of France and Spain first of all identify themselves as "Basque" . However, the last time I checked Spain had no border close to Italy or Germany - that is - unless they did a couple of "pre-emtive strikes" lately and seized quite a piece of land - including the Cote d'azur.<span id='postcolor'>

Who cares how close they are to Germany. The website doesn't even mention Germany. Aside from that, if you were on the border of France and Italy you wouldn't be bordering Germany.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Think about this: What is Tex-mex - american or mexican?

What is american pizza - american or italian?

You see the jury is still out on those issues.<span id='postcolor'>

Not really. Tex-mex is food from the border of Texas and Mexico. American pizza is derived from Italian pizza, but it's still American. And pretzels are from the border of France and Italy.