Sign in to follow this  
echoota

How do you succeed in ofp?

My friends and I have been playing OFP for several months now and we really like all the detailed sim aspects to the game, however we all stink when it comes to performance and so we were just wondering what it is that people are doing who rack up top scores in games?

We play a lot of Battlefield 1985 and on our most brilliant of days one of us will get perhaps two to three kills. All of us are 30 year olds who have been playing games forever and quite competent at anything else we play, but with OFP we just move along, trying to be as cautious as possible and out of the blue we get shot. We all have teamspeak and try and coordinate our efforts but ultimately we are baffled as to how every other player in game can pick us out of these vast fields and forests and drop us without any hint as to where they are. We do use cover and don't just wander around in the open, we try and be as stealthy as possible but it just doesn't seem to work.

One big problem we have observed is that if you are too cautious then you'll hardly see anyone to shoot at the whole game, but if you don't take enough caution then you'll get cut down on your way to a target.

One thing that really confounds us is tank usage. We'll have three of us in a tank, scanning the horizon, making sure we don't hit bushes and trees, trying to use the landscape to the best of our ability and we still get felled from out of nowhere.

It would be great if there was some kind of chase camera in OFP so that you could follow the top players around and see what the heck they are doing. In CTF games we just can't comprehend people that are racking up 10+ kills. If you move around you just get shot, if you camp you never see anyone.

We all like this game a lot but lately the feeling is more of going on because we are gluttons for punshiment more than anything else, offering up target practice for the vets.

Any secret techniques to this? Like I said, we think we've covered every element that one needs to do. Coordinate your effort, use cover and terrain to your benefit, try and balance between caution and intitative. What are we missing?

Who are you playing against? If not established teams on reputable servers, you might be the victims of various MP cheat programs designed to see you from 1000 miles away. tounge.gif

When you play, do you see any messages about an altered config.bin file or similar?

Otherwise, maybe you're just lousy. tounge.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gifsmile.gifconfused.gifsad.gif

How have you been getting on in single player or co-op? The basic skills you learn from those game types do for the most part translate into DM or CTF or whatever smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (echoota @ Mar. 09 2003,15:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My friends and I have been playing OFP for several months now and we really like all the detailed sim aspects to the game, however we all stink when it comes to performance and so we were just wondering what it is that people are doing who rack up top scores in games?

We play a lot of Battlefield 1985 and on our most brilliant of days one of us will get perhaps two to three kills.  All of us are 30 year olds who have been playing games forever and quite competent at anything else we play, but with OFP we just move along, trying to be as cautious as possible and out of the blue we get shot.  We all have teamspeak and try and coordinate our efforts but ultimately we are baffled as to how every other player in game can pick us out of these vast fields and forests and drop us without any hint as to where they are.  We do use cover and don't just wander around in the open, we try and be as stealthy as possible but it just doesn't seem to work.

One big problem we have observed is that if you are too cautious then you'll hardly see anyone to shoot at the whole game, but if you don't take enough caution then you'll get cut down on your way to a target.

One thing that really confounds us is tank usage.  We'll have three of us in a tank, scanning the horizon, making sure we don't hit bushes and trees, trying to use the landscape to the best of our ability and we still get felled from out of nowhere.

It would be great if there was some kind of chase camera in OFP so that you could follow the top players around and see what the heck they are doing.  In CTF games we just can't comprehend people that are racking up 10+ kills.  If you move around you just get shot, if you camp you never see anyone.

We all like this game a lot but lately the feeling is more of going on because we are gluttons for punshiment more than anything else, offering up target practice for the vets.

Any secret techniques to this?  Like I said, we think we've covered every element that one needs to do.  Coordinate your effort, use cover and terrain to your benefit, try and balance between caution and intitative.  What are we missing?<span id='postcolor'>

I find a good MP technique for Battlefield type missions is to get control of a location and stay there, never move unless you are sure of the situation around you. You should aim to be the one ambushing people, not the one getting ambushed.

Other than that, the difficulty you're having (unless it's cheating) is that OFP is extremely realistic and sometimes sacrifices fun for authenticity. The ranges on modern weapons and systems are so great that you do indeed have a very good chance of being killed without ever seeing what even killed you. Not so fun being the victim I guess, but you can win if you learn how to maintain the upper hand in every encounter.

In battlefield 1985 i'm usually flying the mi17 around picking people up and ejecting them around the battlefield.

It's almost like CSAR if they are being chased!

I finished OFP+Resistance 3 times now.. going to finish it 4th time... it is easyer to play MP after you beat the Single Player..

This Game Ownzor biggrin.gif

if u r playing against clans (on clan server) it is hard cuz they play togethere and it is probably one of their favourite maps u r playing, so dont get demoralized. but playing against challinging individuals, raises ur skill even if u dont notice. DOnt give up and keep playing smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 09 2003,20:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In battlefield 1985 i'm usually flying the mi17 around picking people up and ejecting them around the battlefield.

It's almost like CSAR if they are being chased!<span id='postcolor'>

And then I pick you up in a chinook after a tank runs over your feet biggrin.gif

Anyway, echoota. When getting to a location and such, take the backways in. If you just go straight the the front, you're screwed. Sometimes you just need to find a good pirch in a bush and sit there checking out the enemy. Always take a second or two to scan the entrie area around you BEFORE you move. Just stick to basic things like that and you'll get the hang of it.

Keep low, use your weapon sights or binocular a lot, always expect enemies to show up where you would least expect them to. If you have a team, always have one to watch your six, that alone have saved my butt many times.

Whenever possible, equip as many as possible in your team with Bizons or MP5s so that they can take down guards without making noise. Well, not always, use your judgement of course, it depens of the missions.

Again, keep low. Use bushes for cover. You can take out a whole camp from a bush if you hide well, especially with a silenced weapon. You usually aren't spotted at 200m or more if crawling on the ground, even on flat ground. But get up for a second and you're dead. It seems to me that crawling slowly or fast doesn't make any difference, am not too sure though.

Pay attention to patrol routes and plan your next move with that in mind.

Try out the various formations. I use wedge or line whenever positioning my team for defence (I like to lure the enemies into my team's line of fire sometimes).

Always tell your team to hold fire as much as possible. One shot could give away your team's position, and not even hit or kill the target. Give each and every one on your team targets if you spot a squad that you are going to take out, wait for everybody to tell "ready to fire", check their positions, they must have a good view, then open fire. The squad will be dead in seconds if you are at 200m or less.

When spotting a patrol with an MG soldier, make at least 2 of your team target him. MGs are lethal, take them down as soon as possible when/if attacking. Then comes the officer, Then comes the rest of the soldier. Without an officer, they break up easily.

UHM.. were you talking MP only ? Damn.. sad.gif Keep low anyway, that goes for MP as well as SP. Use lots of hand grenades..

Excellent advice there Hidden smile.gif

Ah Yes, Havent We All Been Here Before.... When You First Open The Box And Havent A Clue Where To Start And How To Play, Going To Game Spy Arcade, Or Forum And Asking Which Patch To Download....

Anyway, Im Not Such A Good PLayer My Self But I Do Put Up A Challenge, (trying not to be bigheaded)....

I Always Make Sure You Have Decent Weapons, And The Other Gadets Youll Need, Press 'Q' To Crouch, This Is Always Better when Playing Online,. to Crouch Is A Habbit For Most People, ANd Is Always Done, For OBivous Reasons.

Take Your Time, But Not To Much, Use Everthing You Can From Rocks To Houses, Try To Stay Out Of House Windows As It Catches The Enemies Eye So Quickly. If Third Person View Is Enabled Use That With Much Advantage. I Usually Site Behind Sand Bag Wall and Go To Third Person To Have A Peek Over Then If Someone Is coming, Then I KNow Where to Shoot. ( You see alot of people doing this).

Be The game, Pretend You Are Rambo biggrin.gif ... Do All Things Quick, After You Shoot Someone Dont Turn To Your Mates And Brag/Boast, Make Sure You GEt To The Next Place of Safety Becasue That Mussel Flash Is A Discrace And Can Be Seen A Mile Off.

Well Thats ABout It Really From Me biggrin.gif,

My Chain:

Take Your Time = Less You Die = More Kills = More Points = Higher In Table = Respected By Players = Well Known = Lots of People Sucking Up To You anf Fighting To Be On Your Team = Offers From Clans = You RULE!!!!

All The Best, Hope It Goes Well. Hope To See You On Resistance One Day.

[RL]-[RobShaw] [RL]

DeNgIe WoRlD, UK

@RobShaw you don't need to use capital letters for every word smile.gif

When I first started playing OFP I could barely hit a target, it just takes time to get used to the game.

RED

Better then me RED , i couldnt find how to use the action menu. Was a biatch to get in that jeep on the demo wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">@RobShaw you don't need to use capital letters for every word <span id='postcolor'>

Huh?

RobShaw <<<< Searches For Rules About Letter Cases In Forums..... tounge.gif.

Sorry Its Just The Way It Comes...

All The Best

Rob

No rule, it's just a smidge silly, but horses for courses and all that smile.gif

Bah, I Dont Even Know What Horses For Courses Means. Leave Me Alone, Stop Bullying tounge.gif Or I Tell

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 11 2003,02:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Camp.<span id='postcolor'>

You must mean strategic waiting? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SFG @ Mar. 11 2003,02:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 11 2003,02:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Camp.<span id='postcolor'>

You must mean strategic waiting? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

More like aggressive hiding. And remember to pack s'mores fixins. And for chrissakes, only use Hershey's chocolate. If you don't, you might as well not even bother.

I can relate and get discouraged too (In MP). It's whoever spots who first and it's a "quick draw", from there. In SP it takes me 2 shots and I'm on my way. In MP it takes 9-12 shots, a re-load, and by then, I'm dead. If your on 56k, just keep reminding yourself that your at a disadvantage, especially in DMs'. It's a quick draw smile.gif For 56kers, try being the sniper, hide, move slow, and take the shot knowing you'll get it; then move. Also your video options make a big difference. I believe "visability" is the most important.

It's spotting the enemy first. And it's wierd, we're all looking at a computer screen, and how in the heck do some see so good...I don't understand either.

Anyway, ..I better go practice some more. Kdog-

Seriously though, what I do is coordinate with my team, or failing that, try to work within the chaos and create the semblence of organization. Is that one of my idiot teammates in that tank rolling right through RPG alley? Never fear, watch for smoke trails and then pick the bastards off. Stuff like that- use the situation to your advantage. If your team pushes your opponents back, take the breathing time to find yourself a nice little spot overlooking an approach route.

Also, use real world infantry tactics. Honest to God, they will improve your skills tenfold. If you use them correctly, of course. And work on your mad sharpshooter skillz, because nothing matters if you can't hit the target. By the way, what size monitor do you have? Because if it is a small monitor, you don't stand a chance of seeing people at 200+ meters.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hidden @ Mar. 09 2003,14:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whenever possible, equip as many as possible in your team with Bizons or MP5s so that they can take down guards without making noise. Well, not always, use your judgement of course, it depens of the missions.<span id='postcolor'>

Gotta say I've had some mixed results with AIs using Bizons/MP3s. Short firing range, low accuracy, single shot only. The Uzi is even worse, IMHO.

Usually I'll have my AIs carry MGs, sniper rifles and M16s/AK*s, in that order. I'll keep the silenced weapons for myself - less likely to become a target that way.

My advice: do the above good advice.

or... do it the plain CS way:

Camp, Camp, Cheat, and Camp again. tounge.gif