WhoTookMyNickName

Bohemia?! What's taking so long..

This probably has to be the slowest progressing game I've ever played development wise. Every once In a blue moon we get "SOME" content. Tons of bug fixes thank you, but where's all the content ? Destruction? Armored vehicles? Helicopters ? Etc. I understand you're building the game up from the bottom because of new engine but holy smokes...it's killing me with the wait for new content. Can we please just get Arma 3 to play in the mean time? Couldn't be that hard to drop it on xbox considering it'll definitely run on there just fine with the old engine.

No. damn, these Xbox players are lame. Porting the game is not possible. Just wait a few years. Why not just play something else? Making Reforger for Xbox was a mistake, but it is too late now. The game is still crashing and kicking players over a year after release. There is no hope. Bohemia should just quit.

• Like 2

If you take in to consideration that the Frostbite engine took more than 14 years to be where it's at now, the rate of development isn't that slow.

I find it baffling that people still complain about an unfinished product that can contain game breaking bugs when it's stated over and over on the store page and every time you start the game that this is the case. Reforger is not a "game" in the sense of Arma 3 or Arma 4. It is a playable test bed for the Enfusion engine which will be used for further BI games.

About the lack of contents: You can enjoy the many mods that have already been build and are available in the workshop.

honestly console/pc cross platform play is the worse idea
sure for some games it works
but for a game like arma they should focus on the the interactivity with the world, the amount of players and the detail, most of which we now be reduced in amount/quality to work on/with a console system that has a set bar of performance that the only way to increase the height of the bar is to buy the new generation
PC has always been better as a dedicated gaming platform as it cant be made obsolete, you can upgrade it with the next generation.
but with console it only really serves as a mixed media platfor, and is made obsolete every 4-6 years

On 7/28/2023 at 12:37 AM, ozzbik said:

"I find it baffling that people still complain about an unfinished product that can contain game breaking bugs when it's stated over and over on the store page and every time you start the game that this is the case"

I find it even more baffling that people still defend bohemia when they haven't met a single deadline, when the game does not function as advertised, and when they continue to push for unpopular and obviously bad ideas like console releases and crossplay. The game is still unplayable from it's core. The server issues make it impossible to get through a single match without a disconnect. It has been over a year since the game was released, and there is still next to no semblance of change since then. Yes, they added about 1/4 of the stuff from the roadmap, but this does nothing to help the game when the same problems have persisted since launch.

I would be willing to be far more sympathetic to Bohemia if they updated us on the development of the game, but aside from the shitty devblogs we get once in a blue moon (where they pat themselves on the back for what little they did), we have heard nothing. Nothing regarding the state of development, why they are taking so long, what problems they are dealing with, how many people are working on the game, what is planned for the future, ETC. The community has lots of questions, and with total radio silence, we can only assume the worst.

Something every developer simp says is that "it is difficult to communicate with the community" or "people don't want to hear about bugs"; This is totally incorrect. It would take a maximum of 15 minutes for one person to answer every question the community wants to know. The radio silence is inexcusable at this point. With just how little effort it would take to tell us what is going on, the fact that they haven't only leads me to believe that this game is a scam.

It may have taken 14 years for the frostbite engine to get where it is today, but since it's inception in 2008, we got battlefield bad company, bad company 2, bf3, bf4, hardline, bf1, bfV, and 2042. All of these (aside from 2042 lol) were full feature complete games. I applaud BI for their work on the new Enfusion engine, but nothing remotely of substance has been achieved in over a year. The studio is digging its grave deeper and deeper every day. At this point, I seriously doubt Arma 4 will ever come out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bugeater36 said:

What i find hillarious is how all the "ppl" who defend it are xbot "gamers" who never played or even heard about Ofp or any of the Arma games, remember seeing some of them commenting saying "arma doesn't need any editor or SP features" Just says alot about the future "players" of Arma.

3 minutes ago, Fred1988 said:

arma doesn't need any editor or SP features

An actual player genuinely said that? I imagine not here on BIF?

1 minute ago, Janez said:

No, it was on a youtube video where people were having a discussion about the features and the lack of SP content. It's obvious that these new "players" know nothing about Arma and what it's about. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, blackboxhq@gmail.com said:

The lack of a simple mission editor is what's stopping the rest of my gaming group from even trying Reforger.

Yeah that's also a big issue, and even when you learn to use the world editor, you will find that the triggers there are no good, taking alot of scripting, even to simply end a scenario.

2 hours ago, Fred1988 said:

Yeah that's also a big issue, and even when you learn to use the world editor, you will find that the triggers there are no good, taking alot of scripting, even to simply end a scenario.

The current scripting language and setup in the Enfusion tools is waaaaay too complicated. Even for the simplest of things.

I personally don't like the way BIS has made the scripting much more complicated than it has to be.

Look at how simple scripting used to be back in OFP times and even in Arma 2, let's say. Arma 3 is still much simpler than what AR's scripting language offers.

10 minutes ago, kaject said:

The current scripting language and setup in the Enfusion tools is waaaaay too complicated. Even for the simplest of things.

I personally don't like the way BIS has made the scripting much more complicated than it has to be.

Look at how simple scripting used to be back in OFP times and even in Arma 2, let's say. Arma 3 is still much simpler than what AR's scripting language offers.

Even for the simpler things in OFP and Arm1/2/3 you didn't even have to script, you could place a trigger, set the owner to either side and have the game end whener there were no more Opfor or Blufor units in the trigger area,

now you need this long super complicated script to do the same, and the script that the tutorials on youtube showed isn't even working anymore.

5 minutes ago, Fred1988 said:

Even for the simpler things in OFP and Arm1/2/3 you didn't even have to script, you could place a trigger, set the owner to either side and have the game end whener there were no more Opfor or Blufor units in the trigger area,

now you need this long super complicated script to do the same, and the script that the tutorials on youtube showed isn't even working anymore.

Yes, it's pretty terrible. I think with such a huge transition to another scripting paradigm, the developers should be motivated to release video tutorials themselves.

Text docs are OK, but videos are much better for introducing rookies into modding.

I'm sure we'll get a mission editor in Arma 4. It's just out of scope for what Reforger was planned to be.
If too complicated to set up for Xbox controls, I'm asking Bohemia to make it at least an exclusive feature for PC players. This is a fundamental tool for the Arma game, I could spend hundreds of hours in the Arma 3 editor, I'm sure a lot of players did, so we need something user friendly like this again for us people who are not modders and love to imagine scenarios.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kaject said:

Yes, it's pretty terrible. I think with such a huge transition to another scripting paradigm, the developers should be motivated to release video tutorials themselves.

Text docs are OK, but videos are much better for introducing rookies into modding.

True, and at least they could also have included some simple triggers to end a scenario and for some basic effects like playing a sound or a music track.

18 minutes ago, Shurilex said:

If too complicated to set up for Xbox controls

I'm pretty sure you can just plug and play with M&KB on consoles these days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Janez said:

I run into these statements everywhere -Reddit/Steam etc... MP players tend to think playing with "Bots" is stupid or boring and that developing AI further or even asking BI to provide a SP Mission/Campaign is a waste of time.

• Sad 1

Xbox players are useless. They just want CoD gameplay. Bit hard to play when the servers keep crashing. Maybe it will be fixed in 3 months.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, froggyluv said:

I run into these statements everywhere -Reddit/Steam etc... MP players tend to think playing with "Bots" is stupid or boring and that developing AI further or even asking BI to provide a SP Mission/Campaign is a waste of time.

This is the new Fortnite-induced generation of players who have never lived without internet, have never played a game offline and, therefore, they don't know what is an offline / SP game, even.

They're spoiled to the current state of technology, accordingly. We can't do much about them, that's just how their brains develop due to Minecraft, Fortnite and other pop games' influence.

Some brains are strong enough to resist the pop culture influence, but they're few and far between.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jakeplissken said:

Xbox players are useless.

There is no need for this, get a hold of yourself.

4 hours ago, jakeplissken said:

They just want CoD gameplay.

While there is a huge market for CoD there, there is also a great starvation for tactical games on consoles and there are plenty of groups trying to make it work similarly to all the sir-yes-sir groups we have on PC.

We've had these exact same discussions back in ~2010 with the platform being PC only. Nothing new here, these tryhards simply have no consideration for us weary of MP folks. 🙂

Bit hard to play when the servers keep crashing.

That we can agree on.

1 hour ago, kaject said:

This is the new Fortnite-induced generation of players who have never lived without internet, have never played a game offline and, therefore, they don't know what is an offline / SP game, even.

That is a part of it, sure but as I pointed out, generally it's this PvP mentality. Even CoD that a lot of people buy it mostly for it's campaign has their fair share of MP people looking down on it. Some of the Battlefield campaigns were so bad, that general consensus was that DICE outto focus on MP only. Unfortunately this did not materialize into what many were hoping MP to be for 2042 because of course, resource allocation does not work that way in this age of parasitic management.

I somewhat understand the premise of playing "regular" games against bots (i.e. CS MP maps with bots) is kinda lame even if I enjoy it from time to time, this doesn't really apply to Arma games. So there seems to be some overlap of different mentalities going on and therefore, if possible, we outto educate and inform these newcomers instead of labeling them with something unproductive, otherwise... (on to the next segment below)

1 hour ago, kaject said:

They're spoiled to the current state of technology, accordingly.

Aren't we all? Spoiled to technology, spoiled to pleasure, spoiled to institutions to do what we outto be doing, while signing our God given rights away.

1 hour ago, kaject said:

Some brains are strong enough to resist the pop culture influence, but they're few and far between.

And here we are. It's a bit hard to do that when your parents and your whole surrounding are also glued to their phones, scrolling through utterly stupid things. Therefore, let's not do that here as well, try to foster healthier environment for those who don't know better. Be a better man and all that.

3 hours ago, Janez said:

There is no need for this, get a hold of yourself.

While there is a huge market for CoD there, there is also a great starvation for tactical games on consoles and there are plenty of groups trying to make it work similarly to all the sir-yes-sir groups we have on PC.

We've had these exact same discussions back in ~2010 with the platform being PC only. Nothing new here, these tryhards simply have no consideration for us weary of MP folks. 🙂

That we can agree on.

That is a part of it, sure but as I pointed out, generally it's this PvP mentality. Even CoD that a lot of people buy it mostly for it's campaign has their fair share of MP people looking down on it. Some of the Battlefield campaigns were so bad, that general consensus was that DICE outto focus on MP only. Unfortunately this did not materialize into what many were hoping MP to be for 2042 because of course, resource allocation does not work that way in this age of parasitic management.

I somewhat understand the premise of playing "regular" games against bots (i.e. CS MP maps with bots) is kinda lame even if I enjoy it from time to time, this doesn't really apply to Arma games. So there seems to be some overlap of different mentalities going on and therefore, if possible, we outto educate and inform these newcomers instead of labeling them with something unproductive, otherwise... (on to the next segment below)

Aren't we all? Spoiled to technology, spoiled to pleasure, spoiled to institutions to do what we outto be doing, while signing our God given rights away.

And here we are. It's a bit hard to do that when your parents and your whole surrounding are also glued to their phones, scrolling through utterly stupid things. Therefore, let's not do that here as well, try to foster healthier environment for those who don't know better. Be a better man and all that.

There is no being "the better man" with these zombies, all we from the older generation can do is to remember the better times that was in the far past.

And even if the future for the arma series is looking bleak, at least we got all the good old games that can still be enjoyed.

3 hours ago, Fred1988 said:

There is no being "the better man" with these zombies, all we from the older generation can do is to remember the better times that was in the far past.

Well, to summarize Solomon's proverb on Wisdom and Stupidity: "don't correct a fool for he will only insult you, teach a wise man to multiply his wisdom".

But then again, to summarize Mathew 19: "with men everything is an issue, but with God all things are possible."

Personally, I don't and never did engage in PvP that is called, among other things, social media. Sometimes though, I do browse through comment section on YT if I see something based and that's about the extent of it. So, if one does decide to subject themselves to that, I suppose I'd refer to the above. While we're here though, we outto avoid broad generalizations. Imagine someone on console that got into tactical stuff through Reforger and is possibly looking into switching to PC space at some point, you'd want this place to be inviting, no?

4 hours ago, Fred1988 said:

And even if the future for the arma series is looking bleak, at least we got all the good old games that can still be enjoyed.

I'm not sure everything is such doom and gloom, I mean BI did put out that blog post not to long ago, detailing some challenges in regards to vehicles in MP. It is obvious that they have their work cut out for them, that's for sure but I certainly agree with your sentiment, definitely and not only when it comes to Arma or gaming or tech in general. But in regards to Arma, I still have those DVDs stored in a box somewhere. 🙂