Sign in to follow this  
BBSmith

Carriers?

All this talk about "carriers".. They say:

"yes we are almost done."

"Comming Soon".

"Any day now and it will be complete"..

Is all rubush.. Its been a few MONTHS since i heard that a carrier was "almost done".. Well is it almost done eh?

Has there ever been an addon that you can freely walk on while its moving? I just know that theres addons that u can sit in that are like most vehicals.

You sit there and do nothing while you wait for your transport to finish. The reason I berought up the free walking is Because at ofgamezone.cz or w/e an addon maker said that the ship was done but all that needed to be done was the internal structure textures. That discription has stated that you can walk into the captians quarters and the cafeteria and so forth... Its been 2-3 months since that was posted... Well, if that carrier was done, I think itd be a good idea to show the world your work so we can appreaciate you..And your addon.

Is there a Fan site/site/FTP link that sum1 could give me if i have been mistakin?

k, w/e

FHAF[MAJ]Victior

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BBSmith @ Feb. 09 2003,23:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All this talk about "carriers".. They say:

"yes we are almost done."

"Comming Soon".

"Any day now and it will be complete"..

Is all rubush.. Its been a few MONTHS since i heard that a carrier was "almost done".. Well is it almost done eh?

Has there ever been an addon that you can freely walk on while its moving? I just know that theres addons that u can sit in that are like most vehicals.

You sit there and do nothing while you wait for your transport to finish. The reason I berought up the free walking is Because at ofgamezone.cz or w/e an addon maker said that the ship was done but all that needed to be done was the internal structure textures. That discription has stated that you can walk into the captians quarters and the cafeteria and so forth... Its been 2-3 months since that was posted... Well, if that carrier was done, I think itd be a good idea to show the world your work so we can appreaciate you..And your addon.

Is there a Fan site/site/FTP link that sum1 could give me if i have been mistakin?

k, w/e

FHAF[MAJ]Victior<span id='postcolor'>

There have been many cons in the flashpoint community. There have been no 'addons' where you can walk around a moving ship, however it is possible with scripting. However recently people have actually begun to produce carriers, which you can walk around/ land on when they are not moving.

Anything that you heard about a few months ago is probably a con.

I do agree with BB and hope the guy who made such claims respond. However, as an addon maker myself i do understand that there are severe engine restrictions which initially thought easy but later prove very difficult to surmount.

Perhaps they could discuss it here and see if they can find any solution because i believe that the carrier is too big a project for just one mind to crack.

I have no intention of making a carrier cos to do a good one would take a lot of time - textures and experimentation of LODs. Furthermore there seems to be 20 over guys since 6 months ago with textures and models ready but waiting for the LOD solution to get the model ingame. However i do dabble with creating massive structures ingame and based on my experiments:-

1. Creating segments and aligning them in mission editor

No go - cause on water the segments will react to water and drift apart.

2. Proxing the segments - Using Col Klinks excellent proxy code in config, the segments aligned well and move well. However, the proxies took on the geometry of the main model and objects just drop into the sea after 100meters model length or less.

3. Mounting brackets - I created the main model of 50m length and then created hidden vertices of bracket like structures so that in mission editor, the segments will sit on the brackets and not drift apart. So far it looks promising but still far from perfect as stability is still questionable. A soldier can run from end to end - 200meters without falling off. By itself it will move but with segments in - it crawls, could be due to the segments mass.

As far as moving within a moving vehicle, experiments still need to carried out, and lol! perhaps if ofp 2 does comes about, it will be then that such thing can happen but if the vehicle stops, it is possible to walk onboard the ship but only for yourself and not your troops.( perhaps unless pathway LOD is present in the model?)

I just hope the aircraft carrier guys would not give up cos anythings possible - a matter of thinking outta the box...hehe.

Anyway, no ones owes anybody anything here. Sometimes we try but we all got to move on. Plenty of other projects to get ingame wink.gif

Pic of the bracket experiment:-

www.geocities.com/philcommando/carriertest.jpg

What we haev over at the Falklands mod is what you could call Carriers.

Both HMS Invincible and HMS Hermes in the 1982 configuration.

They are made out of what can be understood as 4 houses with precise postioning used by utilising the groups.

This way you dont have to worry about gaps between sections and also can allow the position of ships weapons systems as seperate objects.

The side affect this has is that:

a) They wont sink, the are buildings.

b) You can blow up one section and the other parts are ok (ok this might be sortable by scripts).

c) It don't move.

When building the carriers my thoughts were not to worry about any of these. In the end carriers are relatively slow, and their movement although nice is not essential.

I can confirm that landing does work, even the Ski Jump is nice and it does exactly what it was designed to do. I am fortunate that these 2 Carriers do not have either catapults or arrestor wires as the Invincible is not fitted, and Hermes had hers removed in the early 70's.

[QU In the end carriers are relatively slow, and their movement although nice is not essential.

OTE]

Carriers for the most part are the fastest in the fleet at least in the US navy but it is ok that it wont move cant do every thing right

I'm okay with a carrier that can't move. Some might argue but the majority feels the same way as I do. We just want a carrier for naval battles.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wilco @ Feb. 11 2003,00:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bottom of page look

Ours is getting there, need some LOD guys and make it longer and there we go.<span id='postcolor'>

the flight deck looks like it is from wood confused.gif

Make it light blue with white textures brown flight deck doesn't look right wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wilco @ Feb. 11 2003,02:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's a world war II version, that is why<span id='postcolor'>

There is no Aircraft Carrier with a wooden flight deck you think all that wood can held a plane tounge.gif

All the Aircraft Carriers in WW2 had a metal flight deck there is NOT 1 Aircraft Carrier in the world that was made from WOOD wow.giftounge.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ExtracTioN @ Feb. 11 2003,02:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wilco @ Feb. 11 2003,02:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's a world war II version, that is why<span id='postcolor'>

There is no Aircraft Carrier with a wooden flight deck you think all that wood can held a plane tounge.gif

All the Aircraft Carriers in WW2 had a metal flight deck there is NOT 1 Aircraft Carrier in the world that was made from WOOD wow.gif  tounge.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Man, do you bother to research before making uneducated statements?

Ok there was but they realised that it was not good they saw that the wood wasn't strong enough for the landings of the planes and that when the planes land on the AC with the wooden deck they saw that the wood was broking or the plane that was gone through the wood there was build 2/3 AC from wood and than they start building a AC from metal flight deck I have researched USA had in WW2 aircraft carriers with metal deck also japan england tounge.gif

Evis dont try to teach me about AC biggrin.gif

Really? I always thought the reason they switched was beacuse fire+wood=BAD!!!!!!!!

A lot of carriers were converted during Korea because the first naval jet fighters came in use there (F9,etc)

rather than to open a new thread, i am posting some experiments for the aircraft carriers modelling folks.

The previous experiments of bracket can only extend the roadway lod by 150meters, but with this new locking system experiment it might be possible to create models more than 1 km long.

Not really refined but i did have 230meters of non falling thru model for aircrafts.

Pics:-

www.geocities.com/philcommando/Carriertest1.jpg

www.geocities.com/philcommando/carriertest3.jpg

www.geocities.com/philcommando/Carriertest2.jpg

There is an O2 model attached, but PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD as it is a research model to help the carrier making folks if they wanna see it done and this model is not a game model....not even a beta!

Download:-

www.geocities.com/philcommando/carrierexp.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (philcommando @ Feb. 16 2003,17:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pics:-

www.geocities.com/philcommando/Carriertest1.jpg

www.geocities.com/philcommando/carriertest3.jpg

www.geocities.com/philcommando/Carriertest2.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

I think you just found a way to cut the US Navy defense budget by billions! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 16 2003,09:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think you just found a way to cut the US Navy defense budget by billions! biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yep, just duct tape enough old refrigerators together and

you got yourself a carrier. USS freezerburn...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AXE @ Feb. 16 2003,10:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 16 2003,09:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think you just found a way to cut the US Navy defense budget by billions! biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yep, just duct tape enough old refrigerators together and

you got yourself a carrier. USS freezerburn...<span id='postcolor'>

Ah, the wonders of duct tape!

Actually, the US was looking really hard at something similar to what phil made. It was essentially a very long platform with a runway on top. It would be towed into position and positioned like an oil rig. It was believed that you'd be able to land C-17 transports on it, providing a safe base in an otherwise hostile area.

See these:

SeaBase PDF

MOB

Mob2opt.jpg