Sign in to follow this  
blackdog~

Bmd-3 beta 0.9

OK - I finally got a chance to tinker with the BMDs tonight. I love 'em. I'll echo the comments about the smoke grenades and lag.

But otherwise, much is improved. I love the new ammo selections (PKT, 2A42 HEI-T and API-T) because the grognard in me screams for that kind of detail. The sounds for the weapons and engines are also first-rate. I don't notice the engine sound being too loud, unlike what someone said earlier.

I'm sure Vikingo will post a more thorough evaluation in the very near future, so I'll leave the real critique to him and simply say BRAVO AKM74!

Two things about the smoke:

1. I wouldn't like to see it like kegetys Lynx, for the reason above. The BMD-3 has smoke launchers on the turret, not a smoke dispenser like the Lynx. It wouldn't be realistic.

2. I get no problems using the smoke launcher (I have a pretty fast machine). But for those who do, why not just ignore the smoke launch option, or remove it in the weapons init field? Even if it's there, the AI don't use it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't notice the engine sound being too loud, unlike what someone said earlier.<span id='postcolor'>

Well it doesn't sound too loud, but when you place the BMD-3 lets say two kilometers from your position, you can still hear the engine sound clearly. However BMD-3M does not have this "problem" nor the BIS tanks. Compare those two and you'll hear what I mean.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wouldn't like to see it like kegetys Lynx, for the reason above. The BMD-3 has smoke launchers on the turret, not a smoke dispenser like the Lynx. It wouldn't be realistic.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm couldn't the launchers just launch the smoke grenades normally, but the smoke effect would be just like in Kegetys' Lynx (bigger smoke puffs but only few of them)?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm couldn't the launchers just launch the smoke grenades normally, but the smoke effect would be just like in Kegetys' Lynx (bigger smoke puffs but only few of them)? <span id='postcolor'>

I think a good alternative it’s to remove “smoke†from weapons selection and only leave this option from “user action menuâ€.

Hmm that would be good solution, no more accidental smokings while switching weapons.

That might be good idea but still there are guys who launches those smokes just for fun or to piss off people or even better gain some advantage, you know it´s pretty hard to hit anything when the fps is 1. biggrin.gif But whatever you do this is still going to be great addon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That might be good idea but still there are guys who launches those smokes just for fun or to piss off people or even better gain some advantage<span id='postcolor'>

you mean in MP ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The BMD-3 has smoke launchers on the turret, not a smoke dispenser like the Lynx. It wouldn't be realistic.

<span id='postcolor'>

Most IFVs and MBTs are capable of injecting fuel (diesel) into the exhaust system to create smoke.. And the russian vehicles usaly have massive amount of smoke coming out of them anyways.. :-)

Just check this mpeg.. (5Mb)

http://www.foreningenp5.com/movies/bmp1_1.mpg

But I don't understand why it fires smokes behind the vehicle..

Yes AKM74 i mean mp. Not much of a problem in sp. I also prefer smoke launchers but i really don´t know is it possible to make smoke grenades with smoke like the lynx has.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bergmania @ Feb. 04 2003,01:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The BMD-3 has smoke launchers on the turret, not a smoke dispenser like the Lynx. It wouldn't be realistic.

<span id='postcolor'>

Most IFVs and MBTs are capable of injecting fuel (diesel) into the exhaust system to create smoke.. And the russian vehicles usaly have massive amount of smoke coming out of them anyways.. :-)

But I don't understand why it fires smokes behind the vehicle..<span id='postcolor'>

The engine smoke exhaust system is used to cover other things than the tank. During my service in the army we were showed how a BMP-1 covered another "damaged" BMP-1 with its smoke system.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goeth[kyllikki] @ Feb. 03 2003,22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That might be good idea but still there are guys who launches those smokes just for fun or to piss off people or even better gain some advantage, you know it´s pretty hard to hit anything when the fps is 1. biggrin.gif But whatever you do this is still going to be great addon.<span id='postcolor'>

If you are concerned about people using this feature to bring down MP peformance, you could build into the missions that the BMD's don't have this ability (with a RemoveWeapon command or something like that). wink.gif

You´re right Fubar. Let´s just wait and see what the author can do about it. Hope to see updated version soon without those bugs mentioned in couple first pages. Keep up the good work.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bergmania @ Feb. 03 2003,23:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The BMD-3 has smoke launchers on the turret, not a smoke dispenser like the Lynx. It wouldn't be realistic.

<span id='postcolor'>

But I don't understand why it fires smokes behind the vehicle..<span id='postcolor'>

True, I forgot about that.

I decided to remove “smoke†future from v1.0 (at least for now).

What’s new in 1.0:

I change almost everything in internal view.

BMD3 and BMD3M now have 3 man crew.

I also increase cargo space to hold 6 solders.

Some weapons config tweaks. (AI will use PKT to engage targets at closer distance)

I hope it will be last update (I need some rest)

We will post link to the file soon.

I assume the removal of the smoke launcher feature fixes the disappearing turret bug?

Good job, can't wait to get the final version biggrin.gif

PLEASE remove the radar as well AKM74! Tanks and IFV's do NOT have radars! crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I assume the removal of the smoke launcher feature fixes the disappearing turret bug?<span id='postcolor'>

yes, it will fix turret bug and green screen bug. i really love this script but..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">PLEASE remove the radar as well AKM74! Tanks and IFV's do NOT have radars!<span id='postcolor'>

I know that, but vehicle become “sitting duck†without radar. In 1.0 I’m decrease range of radar from 2000 to 900.

I try it on desert map. 4 BMD3 against 4 M2A2.  10 times, same setting for both.  7 from 10 M2A2 win with 1-2 units left. Against BMD3M they have no chance, mostly because of 100mm BMD3M main gun. I think they well balanced now, at least I’m hope so.

new internal look

BMD3_inside_1_0.jpg

Amazing. wow.gif

AKM74, how long do you plan to stop making addons for? Please say a few hours. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ Feb. 06 2003,11:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I assume the removal of the smoke launcher feature fixes the disappearing turret bug?<span id='postcolor'>

yes, it will fix turret bug and green screen bug. i really love this script but..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">PLEASE remove the radar as well AKM74! Tanks and IFV's do NOT have radars!<span id='postcolor'>

I know that, but vehicle become “sitting duck†without radar. In 1.0 I’m decrease range of radar from 2000 to 900.

I try it on desert map. 4 BMD3 against 4 M2A2.  10 times, same setting for both.  7 from 10 M2A2 win with 1-2 units left. Against BMD3M they have no chance, mostly because of 100mm BMD3M main gun. I think they well balanced now, at least I’m hope so.

new internal look

BMD3_inside_1_0.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

The textures are jaw dropping good! WOW!!!!! wow.gif

All parts in inside view textured with 1 file 1024x1024. Floor is 1 repeated image 128X128.

The BMD3s turrent is based on the BMP2s..

The BMD3Ms turrent is based on the BMP3s..

So I dont think that the M will also have a AT4/AT5 launcher when the 100mm gun is really the launchtube for AT14/AT15 missiles.. seems stupid to carry 2 different missiles..

However.. brilliant work AKM74.. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So I dont think that the M will also have a AT4/AT5 launcher when the 100mm gun is really the launchtube for AT14/AT15 missiles.. seems stupid to carry 2 different missiles..

<span id='postcolor'>

it is stupid... thats why i change BMD3M model in 1.0.  It now have 9M117 "Bastion" missile, instead of "Konkurs M".

BTW

i have one question.

Is it passable to apply custom animation for cargo, but only for cargo 7, 8,9,10?

What I’m trying to do is... BMD3 for resistance side. And I want extra solders to sit on top if there is no more space inside.

If it’s not passable, I will not bother to include resistance side BMD at all.

i think you should make a resistance side one, its a small and (relatively) cheap IFV, and if you do could you see if you could get it to match the colourscheme on the Lavos MT-LB's, then we would have not only the APC's and AA APCs but also an IFV, also if you are looking for ideas as to what to do next, an infantry helo would be good, something like a KA-60 Kasatka would keep in line with the russian weaponry, or a KA-52, or the latest russian tank (T-95 i think although probably not any 3 views for it), im sure the community would be very glad if we had some modern russian addons to go against the plethora of western addons, anyway, fantastic addon, and you have unbelievable texturing skills!!