Jump to content

Recommended Posts

ksk_altis_campaign_ovzqj6z.png

 

Codename Phalanx

 

Version: 1.01

 

Overview
Singleplayer Mini-Campaign revolving around a group of KSK survivors around Oberleutnant Wolff. Events are taking place in parallel to the official "East Wind" campaign.

 

Story
CONTAINS SPOILERS - It is strongly advised to play through "The East Wind" prior to this campaign!
After almost two years into a difficult and yet unfruitful counter-insurgency training campaign, long growing tensions with the AAF result in a team of KSK instructors forced to drawdown prematurely with their job half done.
But on the morning of their withdrawal, one last opportunity arises. Follow Oberleutnant Wolff on his covert mission directly tied to the events of "The East Wind".

 

Features

  • Story-Driven Singleplayer Mini-Campaign
  • Special Forces & Guerilla Style Gameplay
  • Three Missions
  • Player Decisions Affecting Mission Flow
  • Available in English & German

 

Basic Requirements

 

How to Install
Standard mod procedure. Just subscribe on steam or manually download and unpack the @KSK_Codename_Phalanx folder to your Arma 3 directory. Then launch it with BI's or a custom launcher.

 

Changelog

1.01 - 08.02.2020

  • ADDED: Close Call, bypass for players who do not own the Tanks DLC.
  • ADDED: Asymmetric Warfare, hints for players who do not own the Laws of War DLC.
     
Spoiler

 

1.00 - 02.02.2020

  • Initial Release

 

 

Known Issues

 

Download

 

Contact
You can reach me on the BI-Forums: http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?53386-IndeedPete
Or on twitter: https://twitter.com/IndeedPete
Or feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/IndeedPete/

 

License
Content created by IndeedPete is published under the "Arma Public License Share Alike (APL-SA)". You are free to take or change anything you can use, just give me a mention in the credits.

 

Credits & Thanks

  • Bohemia for the splendid game that is Arma 3!

 

 

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving it so far! 😃 As usual, great storytelling, the dialogs are the rpg-esq element that Bohemia promissed and never delivered (and greatly used since MERCS campaign and CZ mission) and fun as hell!

Awesome to see you back (thou it´s a mini-campaign) to mission making, IndeedPete!

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, I've never fully been gone though. It's just my output rate has gone down severely. Went from college student to full-time researcher in recent years and it's taxing me greatly in terms of hobby projects. At some point, I opted for this kind of more managable project sizes. If any, expect more smaller releases. But, no promises, as usual!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woohoo!  This is the best ARMA news I've heard in a long time.  Thanks Pete!

 

And welcome to the real world, where your hobby can't get the time invested you'd like, heh-heh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Workshop page says that it also requires the Tanks DLC. I will absolutely get it as soon as the AI can drive one without getting stuck on a single rock in a desert :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Woohoo!  This is the best ARMA news I've heard in a long time.  Thanks Pete!

 

And welcome to the real world, where your hobby can't get the time invested you'd like, heh-heh.

 

It's also not wanting too. If I look at code all day at work, I'm often not in the mood to look at code again after work. 😄

 

7 hours ago, neofit said:

The Workshop page says that it also requires the Tanks DLC. I will absolutely get it as soon as the AI can drive one without getting stuck on a single rock in a desert :).

 

Yes, at the moment Tanks DLC is required because at one point the player has to get into the gunner seat of a static Nyx - which non-DLC owners unfortunately can't do. I look into providing some alternative. I just hadn't considered it earlier. Though AI driving tanks isn't a big thing in this project. I deploy tanks a few times but it's not game breaking if the AI drivers fuck up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also added Laws of War to the list since someone on Steam pointed out using the Demining Drone might be impossible for non-DLC-owners as well. It was a lot easier before the DLCs. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IndeedPete said:

It's also not wanting too. If I look at code all day at work, I'm often not in the mood to look at code again after work. 😄

 

I know the feeling man.  I look at code all day for work also...  I'd much rather get paid to look at SQF though!!!!   😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 9:04 PM, IndeedPete said:

 

Though AI driving tanks isn't a big thing in this project. I deploy tanks a few times but it's not game breaking if the AI drivers fuck up.

I am not worried that AI driving will break this very mission. It's a general thing, more like a principle for me at this point. Most missions I play are not the military type ones that we get in the stock campaigns by BIS. Besides the various Pilgrimages, I mostly play Ravage-type or the Patrol Operations types of missions. I wish I could get into an apoc Altis and NOT find most, if not all of the intended to be scary AI bandit patrols all burnt and dead sticking from some wall or wreck on the road. I wish I could use more people in my patrol that would fit inside a single vehicle, because nurturing the second one is hair-pulling frustration, what with them getting stuck in walls at most turns or a single tree or rock in a field, without the AI brains to back off an extra meter so they can move around it. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to say "#2, driver, get in", pop onto the passenger seat, click somewhere on the map, and enjoy the scenery, trusting #2 will actually get you there.

 

When I am seeing how well AI is driving in otherwise silly games like the Far Crys and the GTAs, it's like I'm watching super pro code compared to "Hello world" level AI coding in Arma3.

 

Then we had the disastrous, no-save, allegedly SP campaign in Apex. And then BIS is telling me: "hey, buy more vehicles, they are fun. Buy more campaigns too, we are good at them!". Sorry, I don't feel like it for some reason.

 

Edit: /rant off, sorry :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 10:37 PM, johnnyboy said:

I know the feeling man.  I look at code all day for work also...  I'd much rather get paid to look at SQF though!!!!   😎

 

I'd trade my entire existing codebase for a decent C# (or similarly powerful language) API in Arma. Doing a lot with Unity at work, mostly for light-weight process simulation and visualisation, and while you can't really compare a game to a game engine and Unity has its own host of issues, workflows and integration into IDEs and such is just soooo much faster and more comfortable. Though this interview gave me some hope for future instalments of the Arma series: https://www.bohemia.net/blog/meet-martin-melicharek

 

4 hours ago, neofit said:

I am not worried that AI driving will break this very mission. It's a general thing, more like a principle for me at this point. Most missions I play are not the military type ones that we get in the stock campaigns by BIS. Besides the various Pilgrimages, I mostly play Ravage-type or the Patrol Operations types of missions. I wish I could get into an apoc Altis and NOT find most, if not all of the intended to be scary AI bandit patrols all burnt and dead sticking from some wall or wreck on the road. I wish I could use more people in my patrol that would fit inside a single vehicle, because nurturing the second one is hair-pulling frustration, what with them getting stuck in walls at most turns or a single tree or rock in a field, without the AI brains to back off an extra meter so they can move around it. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to say "#2, driver, get in", pop onto the passenger seat, click somewhere on the map, and enjoy the scenery, trusting #2 will actually get you there.

 

When I am seeing how well AI is driving in otherwise silly games like the Far Crys and the GTAs, it's like I'm watching super pro code compared to "Hello world" level AI coding in Arma3.

 

Then we had the disastrous, no-save, allegedly SP campaign in Apex. And then BIS is telling me: "hey, buy more vehicles, they are fun. Buy more campaigns too, we are good at them!". Sorry, I don't feel like it for some reason.

 

Edit: /rant off, sorry :).

 

I feel you. Remember doing that in OFP back then, just placing a gazillon vehicles with move waypoints onto the map and watching them going around. It actually worked for the most part. Not sure where they took a wrong turn but it feels AI driving becomes worse with every new Arma title. Certainly ran into a few problems developing this campaign. Hence AI driving parts are usually short and I ensured there's not other traffic or anything else distracting the AI. They're still doing funny manoeuvres driving down a straight road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IndeedPete said:

Remember doing that in OFP back then, just placing a gazillon vehicles with move waypoints onto the map and watching them going around. It actually worked for the most part. Not sure where they took a wrong turn but it feels AI driving becomes worse with every new Arma title.

I think it's Arma3. I don't remember being that POed by AI driving. I remember being driven by AIs and my only complaint being that they were rather slow. I remember being flown by AI teammates in choppers as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small update for players not owning Tanks or Laws of War DLC experiencing gamebreakers. These two DLC are now seen as recommended. If you do not own them and yet cannot progress at some point, let me know.

 

Version: 1.01

 

Basic Requirements

  • Arma 3 Marksmen
  • Arma 3 Apex
  • Arma 3 Tanks (Recommended)
  • Arma 3 Laws of War (Recommended)
  • KSK 2035 (https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/191797-ksk-2035/)

 

How to Install
Standard mod procedure. Just subscribe on steam or manually download and unpack the @KSK_Codename_Phalanx folder to your Arma 3 directory. Then launch it with BI's or a custom launcher.

 

Changelog

1.01 - 08.02.2020

  • ADDED: Close Call, bypass for players who do not own the Tanks DLC.
  • ADDED: Asymmetric Warfare, hints for players who do not own the Laws of War DLC.

 

Download

 

License
Content created by IndeedPete is published under the "Arma Public License Share Alike (APL-SA)". You are free to take or change anything you can use, just give me a mention in the credits.

 

Credits & Thanks

Bohemia for the splendid game that is Arma 3!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, neofit said:

I think it's Arma3. I don't remember being that POed by AI driving. I remember being driven by AIs and my only complaint being that they were rather slow. I remember being flown by AI teammates in choppers as well.

 

Might be. But the maps are also bigger, more complex, and contain more objects than they used to be in previous titles. It's still a shame the AI is comically bad at simple tasks as getting from A to B without crashing and exploding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@IndeedPete

 

Have you considered going back to M.E.R.C.S  to fix the videos ? all the other bugs can be fixed and bypassed by players if you enable zeus  but the videos all unbypasable. Imho id place the videos in proper locations myself if i only know where they are currently located, because game will tell you where its trying to find them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing another playthrough on M.E.R.C.S. at the minute and might consider a barebones bugfix update. But it's like an endless list of issues just going through my own notes. Hence, no promises.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just completed this campaign. Phenomenal work. The narrative was interesting, the game-play was well paced and the conversation system was intriguing and unique. I'll be keeping my eye out for more content from you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've update M.E.R.C.S.. Feel free to try it (again):

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×