Sign in to follow this  
David Shipley

So little wounded in ofp; but plenty dead

When there's fighting in OFP, and a squad starts taking casualties, I notice that there is almost no wounded. Instead, they're all dead. Having a medic is almost useless, unless it's for yourself.

Isn't that unrealistic? In war, there's usually much more wounded than dead - even in cases of bullet wounds.

But then, I thought of something: maybe (some) of those soldiers aren't dead? Like in Rogue Spear, they're just "Incapacitated" and finished for the duration of the battle, yet still alive?

It would sure explain why two rounds to the leg will 'kill' someone.

This has been discussed in various threads.

First of all, enabling SUPER AI will certainly improve their one shot, on kill abilities.

Second of all, there's the SKILL setting for each soldier unit in a mission. Push it to max and watch the difference.

I tested this out yesterday with Invasion 1944 Steal the Kommand Car mission (anyone try it? smile.gif ).

It's based on the original BIS SP mission Steal the Car. I found the original skill settings plus the WWII weapons made the enemy too easy to fight against. So, in my update yesterday, I pushed their SKILL settings up to just under half (SKILL=0.500000). A drop more challenging now.

Regarding being shot in the leg twice, real life bullet wounds were recently discussed somewhere here. I mentioned that from what I've been told, a modern day miltary rifle bullet can enter your leg, switch paths and blow a hole out your back.

I think you re right.

But it s due to the fact that people are generally bad smile.gif

being shot in ur leg wouldn't kill u , would it? thisis real-life i'm on about not OFP.

not instantly but you would bleed to death eventually especially if the bullet severs the femoral artery.

let's be serious a minute, if you take a bullet in your leg, you scream to death until someone gives you a morphine shot

anyway you are badly incapacited

except if you are VERY lucky and the shot only makes surface damage (skin/exterior muscle), but then let's just say you did not take a bullet in the leg wink.gif

it's a real game, not real life ...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (David Shipley @ Jan. 15 2003,12:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When there's fighting in OFP, and a squad starts taking casualties, I notice that there is almost no wounded. Instead, they're all dead.<span id='postcolor'>

How many other squads are you going up against?

Yeah yeah, you don´t have to come up with silly theories to support OFP, BIS are big boys. biggrin.gif

I.e a bullet can kill you if you´re shot in the knee by changing direction...and that happens, say, 2 times out of 100!?

It´s just that it´s impractical to have 100 wounded guys screaming in the same voice for a medic in a GAME.

Then you´d have to make stretchers to carry them and all kinds of new stuff. It would be very hard to make it work properly and believably. You´d probably just be annoyed that you have to tend to the wounded aaall the time. Hey, it´s a game! smile.gif

IRL Higher causualty counts are becuase when you get shot, most people would stop shooting and call for a medic. But if AI is wounded in ofp, they keep fighting, and you have to order a medic to them.

It might be interesting to see a game someday that really models incapacitating wounds someday. However I can imagine it would really slow the game down and change the balance from combat to troop management. Interesting but perhaps less fun.

Perhaps there might be a way of writing it into a script for OFP though, stopping units with serious wounds from holding weapons or standing and force the player to provide medivac for the injured or they get counted as fatalities at the end of the mission. Or would that be beyond the limits of the engine?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (John C Flett @ Jan. 15 2003,23:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It might be interesting to see a game someday that really models incapacitating wounds someday. However I can imagine it would really slow the game down<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, limbs all over an MP map would do that! wow.giftounge.gif

Would only black ops have the HIDE LEG command in their action menu? confused.gifsad.gifbiggrin.gif

The game thats PROBABLY done incapicity best is hmmm SWAT3. By wounded he means not red ouch wounded but actually DOWN going ARRGHH! Swat 3 u could shoot someone down and then they squirm about screaming. Can do it in Mafia too

SWAT 3, as said does do it the best.

However, I like Ghost Recon(with Exp. Packs and patches, of course.)

I've noticed that when wounded my am suffers and movement is slowed. You can hear your character breathing with pain too as well, which was a nice touch.

Though I'd like to see OpFlash have the Rainbow Six style, in that even if a soldier is sown, he isn't dead.

Later patch maybe?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, limbs all over an MP map would do that! <span id='postcolor'>

OFP in the style of Sam Peckinpah! Sounds like ( messy ) fun!

Incapacitated soldiers could add a lot to the game! In RL it is an important part of each mission (if not the mission itself) to get the wounded of the battlefield... (see Somalia, Afghanistan...)

In OFP there should be 3 types of injuries:

-wounded (we have that already)

-incapacitated

-deadly wounded

Incapacitated soldiers should be attended by a medic after a short time or they will die. They still should not be able to move so there should be a new drag option to move them away.

In game you get a negative score for all dead team members. This score should not be given when incapacitated soldiers are stabilized by a medic and in cargo of a vehicle or dragged by a soldier.

Like this it would not slow down game play at all (you do not need to help them you would only get a better score) and I think it would add a lot to the game!!!

It would be good if medics acted as medics first, soldiers second, they should try running to the injured guy, its real annoying finding that command!

Would be cool if they did somthing like what the troops in band of brothers do, they keep fighting but they try to protect the injured guy! Only the Medic and maby somebody else taking orders from the medic will actualy tend to him!

They try to protect the injured out of respect, he took a bullet, but it could just of easily have been you.

Would add a dimention to the game, but with the current AI it would be tough. First off no AI soldier actually cares if they live or die. They don't keep their head down, suppressive fire doesn't work. They will run and take bullet every time smile.gif Plus the fact that they are all crack shots and can drop a guy with 1 bullet at 300m would make things hard smile.gif

COLINMAN

There was also that Vietnam MedEvac SP game demo, discussed here a few months ago, since deleted from my hard disk for wasting space. smile.gif

Those are all pretty good ideas. They should also include all friendly soldiers in the casualty list. Like guys from other squads and stuff so you can see your total amount of casualties.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 18 2003,00:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There was also that Vietnam MedEvac SP game demo, discussed here a few months ago, since deleted from my hard disk for wasting space. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Good, I'm not the only person to have had this game.

Though it is a fun lttle diversion from time to, whenever I want to play it again.

I dunno though, I think you should have to keep soldiers on the battlefield until after the area is secure before calling in a medevac, but dunno if that's possible with OpFlash.

Personally, if developers would stop making sniper AI, there wwould be more wounded.

Actually, Delta Force Blackhawk ddown is pretty good, for enemy accuracy not being sniper perfect all the time, ala Redstorm.

I wish they had real sniper A.I., them snipers then. Those soldiers don't have sniper A.I. in my opinion. confused.gif

If you are looking for some longer lasting firefights with more propability for you or AI to get wounded instead of dying try the great Nampack 2.0 with the high dispersion ammo (non N). Wish there was a similair type of ammo for the original weapons wink.gif

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruskiesrule @ Jan. 15 2003,18:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It would be good if medics acted as medics first, soldiers second, they should try running to the injured guy, its real annoying finding that command!

Would be cool if they did somthing like what the troops in band of brothers do, they keep fighting but they try to protect the injured guy! Only the Medic and maby somebody else taking orders from the medic will actualy tend to him!

They try to protect the injured out of respect, he took a bullet, but it could just of easily have been you.<span id='postcolor'>

Kinda reminds me of RTCW, arcadish game but the fact that medics can revive you when you're shot does give the game more teamplay...

Medics can revive you when you haven't been blown to pieces or when someone hasn't finished you off while you were lying on the ground screaming for a medic...

It's a nice thing, using something similiar for OFP would be nice...