Sign in to follow this  
OxPecker

Music in ofp

I think this belongs in general, but may get whisked away to offtopic:

Do you listen to music (ingame or otherwise) while playing OFP.

Occaisonally i'll leave the ingame music on. But, about 80% of the time i sit at my pc, there is music blasting from my stereo. So when i play OFP, i tend to not turn it off. Unless of course i'm playing the campaign and want to listen to the goods. And yes, i can play without listening to my surroundings. But its not my best gameplay when i do that, if i'm really into the mission or whatever and am actually trying to do good instead of just playing for the hell of it, then i'll actually pay attention to the sounds in the game and turn off the music.

Majority of the time I play with no music at all...but if I'm just mucking about in the Mission Editor or something then I usually have Winamp playing in the background from my collection of mp3s.

I play with in-game music on. Just to see/hear every aspect of the mission (to see what the author intended etc). I myself only use music in cutscenes and in non-combat situations (I know I did use music in combat before, but not anymore).

i think the music in the game is quite good when used intellegently by mission designers

some of the instrumentals can set the mood quite well during transition phases and assault beginnings

so yea i leave music on

only time it gets annoying is missions like red hammer alamo, while a good mission the blaring rock music just gets annoying, u need to be able to hear whats going on around u in missions like that (even though i like the song)

There`s been already a topic related to music in OFP. I don`t listen to the music in OFP, because for me it`s a warfare simulation. Music simply doesn`t fit in there.

Sure it can help to develope a certain atmosphere, but IMO the atmosphere in games related to war is better without music, because it`s more real and harsh without it.

In real life there may be only some chopper pilots that illegaly listen to music when in a mission, an infantry guy won`t do that tounge.gif

I guess music in the game makes it feel more like a war movie than real life combat.

Fallen, theres already been a thread about everything!  tounge.gif  I think the last one about music was a looong time ago though, and if he dragged it up he would get told off for dredging up old threads.  wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Jan. 15 2003,11:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In real life there may be only some chopper pilots that illegaly listen to music when in a mission, an infantry guy won`t do that<span id='postcolor'>

WRONG!

war09.jpeg

That`s no radio, that`s a fake radio full of explosives!! Right after that picture was taken he shook it and... crazy.gif

Blasting music is equal of beeing deaf in combat, seems like lots of fun. confused.gif

I think that cutscenes are pretty empty without music. Something is missing. That's why i play with in-game music on. It can be annoying during the mission sometimes, but i can always turn it off.

I listen to MP3s when I´m playing around with the mission editor, too.

I always listen to the ingame music because its just damn good... however when im on missions that dont have any music on them, i do listen to my own collection, but ONLY when there is no music in the mission biggrin.gif

It depends very much on what your doing, for me i listen to music when i'm messing around in the editor, I listen to my collection of CD's many tracks find their way into the missions at some point, but then only in cutscenes.

For example Apocalypse Now, there is nothing better to prepair for a hot insertion that a big instrumental, or some heavy rock...

but its all down to personal preferance, as is everything in this life....

I listen to the ingame music, I agree that it is annoying in combat though.

RED

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Jan. 15 2003,07:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I usually have Winamp playing in the background from my collection of mp3s.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, as long as you don't listen to your collection of MP5s I wouldn't worry....:)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jo Man Dragon @ Jan. 16 2003,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, as long as you don't listen to your collection of MP5s I wouldn't worry....:)<span id='postcolor'>

That's OK, too. They're very quiet. biggrin.gif

I always listen to the music. Even when it turns a fight into a

music video. The thought that you can just silence the music

never occured to me..

But the game has nice music.. Sometimes, at work, when i get

nostalgic.. i play the music from the game in Winamp. Our boss

just won't let us play anything. Can you imagine that? 3D

production company, with all the beefed-up PCs and no

games.. [spit]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (teaCup @ Jan. 16 2003,18:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[spit]<span id='postcolor'>

crazy.gif HEY! crazy.gif

monitorbrush.jpg

Is that the screen you use to play OFP on?? Avonlady tounge.gif

I just find it rather annoying to hear continious ingame music during MP games, because it interferes my ability to hear the surrounding noices.

Examples:

-Bullets flying by: I can hear where bullets come from, but with music its hard to do so.

-"organic" sounds: To hear soldiers running near you, so the possibility that you get sneaked up at ur back unnoticed is lessened.

-Vehicles: hear what type of vehicle is driving around... useful to determine if there is a vehicle driving near you, also useful to determine what kind of vehicle it is. (tracked vehicles sound different than wheeled vehicles)

With ingame music on, it is very hard to concentrate on the ingame environment.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 16 2003,16:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jo Man Dragon @ Jan. 16 2003,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, as long as you don't listen to your collection of MP5s I wouldn't worry....:)<span id='postcolor'>

That's OK, too. They're very quiet. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, but if he does that regularly it could

1. damage his house...

2. get very expensive....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jo Man Dragon @ Jan. 17 2003,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Jan. 16 2003,16:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jo Man Dragon @ Jan. 16 2003,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, as long as you don't listen to your collection of MP5s I wouldn't worry....:)<span id='postcolor'>

That's OK, too. They're very quiet. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, but if he does that regularly it could

1. damage his house...

2. get very expensive....<span id='postcolor'>

not to mention intrusion of neighbourhood privacy wow.gif

I try to keep music not associated with the game off because he last thing i need to have is getting shot at and not hearing because the radio is blaring.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Jan. 15 2003,10:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In real life there may be only some chopper pilots that illegaly listen to music when in a mission, an infantry guy won`t do that tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

And then - we used to have a ghetto blaster in our M113 - Nothing beats charging the enemy (at a exercise that is) to the sounds of "Ride of the Valkyries"

(Did that seem inspired by a movie?)

[edit - on the topic - i like ingame music the way it is in the campaigns. But i prefer MP-missions without music. The First reason is that it takes insanely long to load the music from the server (and it's not because I have a slow connection). Second it makes it impossible to talk with your teammates on TS2 while the music is playing]