Sign in to follow this  
suchey

Modern usmc marpat

I am currently working on my first full add-on project. These are based on untra modern US Marine Corps including the new issue boots and new issue marpat cammo pattern.  I used some license as to their look since the USMC hasnt even completely moved to marpat yet.  All LODS are represented, full blood textures have been implimented, and custom/random faces are also functional...this means the faces seen on the pictures below are not static and will depend on what you have set up as your face in game. However, if you like the skimask or want a cammo face to use, you can download those faces at www.digitalgrenade.com ...I plan on adding a few more touches before I release to beta.

shot.jpg

Very good work indeed nice I really download this when it is released/are you making a desert version too if yes make it apart from the marpat cammo ok 2 pbo's you got it m8 wink.gif

Sweet, the new marpat will be good in ofp, looks really good! i look forward to that!

They look realy good!

KEEP UP TH GOOD WORK !

crazy.gif

Frandsen OUT!

They look great accept one thing... please make some of these units with the goggles on their helmets and not over their eyes. Usually soldiers don't use the goggles over their eyes unless they are in very sandy/dusty conditions (in a desert) or they are operating a weapon mounted on a vehicle where the wind is blowing into their face really hard while the vehicle is moving. Otherwise they are uncomfortable and don't help any unless you're using them as safety goggles while using heavy machinery. So if you can please have the goggles on most of the units on top of the helmets like on Frandsen's Marines.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Jan. 13 2003,05:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They look great accept one thing... please make some of these units with the goggles on their helmets and not over their eyes.  Usually soldiers don't use the goggles over their eyes unless they are in very sandy/dusty conditions (in a desert) or they are operating a weapon mounted on a vehicle where the wind is blowing into their face really hard while the vehicle is moving.  Otherwise they are uncomfortable and don't help any unless you're using them as safety goggles while using heavy machinery.    So if you can please have the goggles on most of the units on top of the helmets like on Frandsen's Marines.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

or goggles that can be put on and off their helmet smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All LODS are represented, full blood textures have been implimented, and custom/random faces are also functional...this means the faces seen on the pictures below are not static and will depend on what you have set up as your face in game<span id='postcolor'>

GJ, Can't wait to try them out!!!

Looks pretty tight.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ Jan. 13 2003,06:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Jan. 13 2003,05:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They look great accept one thing... please make some of these units with the goggles on their helmets and not over their eyes.  Usually soldiers don't use the goggles over their eyes unless they are in very sandy/dusty conditions (in a desert) or they are operating a weapon mounted on a vehicle where the wind is blowing into their face really hard while the vehicle is moving.  Otherwise they are uncomfortable and don't help any unless you're using them as safety goggles while using heavy machinery.    So if you can please have the goggles on most of the units on top of the helmets like on Frandsen's Marines.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

or goggles that can be put on and off their helmet  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Vixer you have took the words that I was thinking too crazy.gif

I dont plan on having all of them with goggles. The two pictured will remain as is, but I probably wont do any of the remaining guys with them. The boonie hat guy above is intended to be the grenadier, so I figured goggles on would be acceptable. The silver looking goggles are some special type of goggles I saw that are intended to reduce sun glare, etc and work more like sunglasses than goggles...they are also quite a bit smaller than the standard goggles.

I untucked the boots...it seems that from my research the USMC does not blouse their combat boots.

Weapons...not sure what Im going to do here. I have considered one of 3 things...

1) use the m4 pack...the USMC uses the m16 variants primarily but is considering moving to the m4...although reports from Afghanistan are saying that the m4 is underpowered as a combat rifle and that it is routinely taking an average of 3 shots to drop an enemy.

2) leave them with default OFP weapons and let the mission designer decide how to equip them.

3) expand the addon to include the newer m16a3 and m16a4. As I stated above, this is my first addon so Im not sure how to make weapons, but this might be something Ill learn in order to add them in. (Im very surprised that someone hasnt built the m16a3/m16a4 as an addon yet.)

I dont know if Ill make marpat desert and urban cammo as well...however, If I do it will come later after this pack is complete and will be a seperate download. I will most likely not be doing a version using non-marpat cammo.

Will it be in addonpack#2...possibly! We shall see how it turns out and of course Ill be asking the players what their oppinions are on the digitalgrenade forums.

...and finally, heres an early picture of the scout/sniper portion of the pack:

sniper.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suchey @ Jan. 13 2003,22:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I untucked the boots...it seems that from my research the USMC does not blouse their combat boots.  <span id='postcolor'>

Not sure if t has changed with the new MARPAT but that is correct for older version. "Boot Bands" are used. They are small "rubber band" like ropes with metal hooks on the ends. You wrap them around your leg. Hook. Then roll your trouser leg as needed then tuck under the bands. Gives it a cleaner look. Many would probably agree that it's more comfortable. Prevents small debris from entering as well as the bands can be used for many other "MacGyver" purposes.

I hate to nit pick but the LBVs those guys have looks a bit innacurate. I really love your soldiers but I think they would look even better if you put the actual Marine Vests on them, they are called MOLLE.

Examples (These action figures look fairly accurate)

Some Marines Prefer to clip their MOLLE gear/puches directly to the Interceptor vests. Others use the FLC (Fighting Load Carrier) Vest as modeled here.

70146-ba.jpg

FLC VEST

vest-p1.jpg

MOLLE RUCKSACK

70194-molle-1.jpg

About the M4s, the Marines chose the M16A4 over the M4. However, some Force Recon and FAST units use the M16A4 and some leftover M16A2s. The A2 is probably the most common M16 variant in the Corps. I hope this helps you Suchey, they look awesome!

Thanks...I originally tried using the full molle packs, but the models animations arent built to move around it...when they crouch or go prone the pack clips into different sections of the model...I will, however, see what I can do...maybe I can come up with a solution of some sort.

Suchey is my Hero!

If you could do that, you'd be on your way to making some of the most authentic OFP addon soldiers ever! biggrin.gif

Very nice - will they be using any custom weapon, either your own or from other mods?

I updated the picture...the picture in post number one of this thread will continue to update as I make changes.

...I did some work on the vest as backpack...I never did like the other one much...I also did some work on the vest pocketing and configuration.

...regarding weapons: As stated above, Im not really sure what Im going to do yet. Best case scenario I get a kick ass custom m16a4...however, since this is my first OFP addon, Im not really sure how to do the configs for weapons/scopes, etc. so no promises on the rifles.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suchey @ Jan. 14 2003,09:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I updated the picture...the picture in post number one of this thread will continue to update as I make changes.  

...I did some work on the vest as backpack...I never did like the other one much...I also did some work on the vest pocketing and configuration.  

...regarding weapons: As stated above, Im not really sure what Im going to do yet.  Best case scenario I get a kick ass custom m16a4...however, since this is my first OFP addon, Im not really sure how to do the configs for weapons/scopes, etc. so no promises on the rifles.<span id='postcolor'>

Good work. To be honest, I'd be happy if you just used the stock BIS-made weapons that come with the game. Perhaps replace the M60 with a FNMag (M240) and add a M249 SAW to the pack (like the UK Project's UK Marine teaser addon).

Other then that, it might be best to just stick with the stock M16A2 that comes with the game at least until yourself or someone else creates a good M16A4 for the pack...then you can always update it or just release the M16A4 as a seperate addon. But it would be cool to integrate the M240 and M249 in the pack. But maybe if we're lucky someone can whip up a good M16A4 soon... perhaps a modification of a pre-existing addon.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Excellent work! smile.gif

Adding a M249 and a M240 and a modified M203 along the lines of SEBNampack 2.0 (grenade "bags", a more accurate maxrange etc) would fit my wishes perfectly. biggrin.gif More weapons can be added later or released as separte files just as Miles Teg say imho too.

Don't try and cram in to much into the pack. wink.gif We want to see it "soon".  biggrin.gif  wink.gif

Suchey, those Marines are coming out brilliantly!

Those MOLLE back packs look like they are dead on. Do you think you could post a picture of their chest so we could see the LBV?

I agree with Miles though, the M16A2 is pretty common so seeing a Marine with a normal A2 wouldn't be too odd.

Thanks for the feedback guys...I am planning on making a complete replacement pack for the standard NATO side so there will be different classes with a slightly different look to them...for example, I just updated the pic again (see the first post in this thread for picture) ...the soldier pictured there is intended to be the grenadier/m203 soldier. The corpsman (medic) will look slightly different as will the remaing soldiers. Keep in mind that the green skimask face is simply the face I use in OFP and that the soldiers face WILL change according to what you have set up, so your not stuck with ski mask...of course, if you like it, you can download that and a few other different cammo type faces I made at www.digitalgrenade.com