gc8

Field of war [CTI] [SP/MP]

I found out the reason why medtent/sandbags don't work. will fix this for next release

• Like 1

Great news!

Any ideas about the inaccuracy of airdrop? 

Btw, when I request airborne reinforcements, they are also dropped in a very broad zone quite away from the requested point.

5 hours ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Great news!

Any ideas about the inaccuracy of airdrop? 

Btw, when I request airborne reinforcements, they are also dropped in a very broad zone quite away from the requested point.

Yeah looking into that too. It's kinda a feature that it's not that accurate. But I should make the drop area smaller. Was it the paradrop reinforcement that you called? 

1 hour ago, gc8 said:

Was it the paradrop reinforcement that you called? 

Yes. I get the point that reinforcements don't arrive precisely on the the requested location, but the spread is really rather big. The troopers get scattered across many hundred meters, which dissolves them as a unit in dangerous frontline zones, and can take them quite a time to gather, especially in mountainous terrain.

The personal paradrop also makes my soldier to easily land 400-500 meters away from requested point, and often drops me above sea if requested close enough to the shore.

I can make screenshots, but it seems that forum doesn't allow images in replies.

On the positive side (the mission and the work is really great, and I don't want to appear a negativist), the airlift works really nice. There is a hint to use a smoke to designate the pickup zone, but the heli seems to always land on the spot I was standing at when requested the airlift. Even if the spot is not safe to land at (has obstacles or a too steep slope). But that's quite a player's fault and can be easily accounted for, player just need to get used to call for airlift at good locations.

Btw, I haven't played to this point yet, but does enemy side use airlifts when there are no human players in the enemy team?

Playing Dissension mission, I noticed that enemy AI commanders can send a heli with AI troopers to land in an attacked sector to take it over. Quite a nice feature adding complexity to the confrontation – you really have to either control the airspace with AA or deal with enemy teams getting fast delivered to sectors and causing trouble.

Edited by Aquila (DayZ)

5 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

The troopers get scattered across many hundred meters, which dissolves them as a unit in dangerous frontline zones, and can take them quite a time to gather, especially in mountainous terrain.

sounds like the individual paratroooper eject time/delay also needs some work. i tried making that realistic but I guess they scatter too much

7 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

There is a hint to use a smoke to designate the pickup zone, but the heli seems to always land on the spot I was standing at when requested the airlift. Even if the spot is not safe to land (has obstacles or a too steep slope). But that's quite a player's fault and can be easily accounted for, just need to get used to call for airlift at good locations.

i think you need to throw the smoke grenade after you have called the air lift

8 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Btw, I haven't played to this point yet, but does enemy side use airlifts when there are no human players in the enemy team?

yes the AI commander can sometimes call for special forces, paratroopers and even marines

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gc8 said:

i think you need to throw the smoke grenade after you have called the air lift

In fact, I've used the smoke only once, when I called an airlift at a not very good spot. But the heli seemed to land on this spot, not where the smoke grenade has landed. Same story when I don't use smoke at all. So I just took it as a fact, and remembered to call for an airlift from a spot clear and level enough. 

After all, having no vehicles, airlift was my most used feature 🙂

Hope you don't mind me asking more questions.

What is the distance the enemy has to be within to trigger airlift request denial?

I'm really looking forward to your next release!

9 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Hope you don't mind me asking more questions.

Please do ask 🙂

9 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

What is the distance the enemy has to be within to trigger airlift request denial?

600m

Today I had quite an interesting experience testing the mission.

Played on Stratis, only FOW mod, no BattlEye. Set up mission parameters as I wanted, and again got no vehicles in the list. Some setting or their combination really causes this error, but I can't say which one for sure. Is there a way to figure it out? I'd like to help in isolating the cause. Is there any log I can collect and provide?

I tried to enable debug mode, and when I open Units purchase menu, debug messages simply say that each vehicle is "omitted".

Here are the screenshots of my mission parameters — https://disk.yandex.ru/d/NDPJAvySUWmDog

Also, noticed that a captured town of Girna wasn't included within the frontlines — the screenshot is at the same link.

After that I called for an airdrop. VTOL spawned normally, and flew towards my target drop point, but then the pilot completely ignored the need to drop me anywhere. Instead, he commanded the gunner to switch weapons and engaged the enemy tanks and other vehicles he noticed on the radar. I couldn't do anything, so just enjoyed the show. He made a couple of spectacular attack runs until the aircraft was shot down with me on board.

Another attempt to call for an airdrop also ended up with pilot forgetting to drop me away and focusing on attack, but this time it ended at a sea surface.

That's a bit weird, because I played on Malden before, and airdrop VTOL disappeared very soon after he dropped me. This time he didn't perform the drop, and didn't disappear, but engaged in a fight instead.

Well, there was a third rather funny incident. I called for an airlift from a FOB, and my heli was flying somewhere away and didn't hurry to come. At some point, an Orca landed down right near me, I got on board, but got no map to designate the desired LZ. Figured out that it was the supply shuttle, and ejected — but the heli was already in the air, and I fell down and died. Respawned at a carrier, called for another airlift — but the transport operation was already in progress, so I couldn't actually use it 🙂

47 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Played on Stratis, only FOW mod, no BattlEye. Set up mission parameters as I wanted, and again got no vehicles in the list. Some setting or their combination really causes this error, but I can't say which one for sure. Is there a way to figure it out? I'd like to help in isolating the cause. Is there any log I can collect and provide?

I think the only way is to set one parameter at a time

48 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

I tried to enable debug mode, and when I open Units purchase menu, debug messages simply say that each vehicle is "omitted".

when you enable the debug mode there will be a lot of messages, those are just for debugging so they can be ignored

sounds like there are some issues with airdrops, will look into those

50 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

but the transport operation was already in progress, so I couldn't actually use it

will check this as well

thx for your feedback! 🙂

53 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Also, noticed that a captured town of Girna wasn't included within the frontlines — the screenshot is at the same link.

it should once defenders arrive...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gc8 said:

I think the only way is to set one parameter at a time

Ok, I'll do it if there is no better way to investigate, but it will take some time given the number of parameters. Maybe over a weekend.

Actually it will help a lot that mission parameters are saved each time. It's a great feature for me. Some missions with just as many parameters demand proper setting each time. Well, since I don't run dedi servers with parameter presets...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Ok, I'll do it if there is no better way to investigate, but it will take some time given the number of parameters. Maybe over a weekend.

Actually it will help a lot that mission parameters are saved each time. It's a great feature for me. Some missions with just as many parameters demand proper setting each time. Well, since I don't run dedi servers with parameter presets...

you should start from parameters that are about vehicles, units & buying

Just now, gc8 said:

Makes sense, will do it that way.

As for the airlifts, I believe it would be convenient if players can request arilift cancellation (and after such request the heli must check there is no player onboard, and disappear if that's true). It would help to get over situations when an airlift heli is stuck somewhere, or player has respawned elsewhere and cannot use the requested transport anymore.

The passenger check is necessary to avoid jokes when a player requests a heli, other players get inside, fly somewhere and then the original caller cancels the transportation mid-flight and makes everyone else fall down from the sky 🙂

For airdrops, it would be nice to have an option to eject at any given moment and land down on a parachute (and have all gear when a player gets boots on the ground), not only wait for AI pilot to drop the passenger away.

In KP Liberation there is no airdrop, just HALO jump — player is placed in the sky right above the requested LZ, and can maneuver mid-air from there on. Airdrop is more immersive, to my sense, because leaves a chance for VTOL to be shot down on approach — but certainly it is more complex to make it perform properly.

8 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

As for the airlifts, I believe it would be convenient if players can request arilift cancellation (and after such request the heli must check there is no player onboard, and disappear if that's true). It would help to get over situations when an airlift heli is stuck somewhere, or player has respawned elsewhere and cannot use the requested transport anymore.

Yes i was thinking of placing a timer and when that runs out the airlift is reset 

1 hour ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

For airdrops, it would be nice to have an option to eject at any given moment and land down on a parachute (and have all gear when a player gets boots on the ground)

there is the "eject" action. But I just realized player looses his backpack when parachuting 😆

Is there a chance to set up not only target point for airlift/airdrop, but rather a path? To avoid known/suspected AA-rich zones and ensure a safe approach, for example.

Now airlift/airdrop requests a click on the map, and delivers there (well, roughly there in case of airdrop), with aircraft flying along a straignt line between initial and target points. Is it possible to enable a chain of points with say Shift+LMB clicks, with the last point of the chain to become the target LZ?

Or even better without Shift, just planning the route on the map with confirmation button at the current endpoint in the route?

@Aquila (DayZ) Not currently and it would take a while to implement. So can't promise anything but I will put it in my todo list

good idea btw 🙂

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gc8 said:

there is the "eject" action. But I just realized player looses his backpack when parachuting 😆

The eject action ejects without a parachute, so it's a certain suicide 🙂 

Just now, Aquila (DayZ) said:

The eject action ejects without a parachute, so it's a certain death 🙂 

ah will have to fix that too

I have another piece of feedback 🙂 Currently the bodies disappear really fast, in matter of seconds rather than minutes. I understand it's done to reduce the load on server, but can this delay become configurable as a mission parameter? It's almost impossible to loot extra ammunition from bodies except if you engage in a face to face gunfight. A perfect thing would be to have the value changeable within the mission, with voting system or something like that (I've played original OFP MFCTI for decades, and it kinda shaped my mind).

6 hours ago, gc8 said:

Here are the results of my little guesswork research.

I used the same setup as before — Stratis map, only FOW mod, no BattlEye. Changed only one parameter Price multiplier for the land vehicles % from "Free" to "10" — and the land vehicles appeared in the list. Found out the cause from the first shot.

Did the same with parameter Price multiplier for the aircraft % — from "Free" to "10" — and aircraft became available too.

So apparently this option at "Free" value works not as "take vehicles for free" (I expected this behavior from the parameter name), but as "go and fight vehicle-free" instead 🙂

Apparently, I've used to set these options at "Free" value for quick testing of the mission, and thus got all these problems with vehicles other players didn't encounter and report during their normal play.

However, the option Price multiplier for the gear % with "Free" setting doesn't cause all gear to disappear from the gear purchase menu. So the bug only relates to the unit purchase menu.

Btw, there is a curious minor glitch with the menu — sometimes I open the menu and see a slightly different version of the interface with extra button saying "Buy units (remotely)" or something like that. It stays on the screen for a short time and then gets replaced by a regular interface with only two buttons for gear and units purchase.

It doesn't cause any discomfort to me, just something you might be interested in.

@Aquila (DayZ) Ty so much for finding out the vehicle problem. The free vehs was actually really new feature and broken it seems

It really meant to give you vehicles for free. Anyways , will be fixing 🙂

• Like 1

You're welcome. I appreciate the fast replies and really want to see and test the next  release. 🙂

Any hint for when it might be published?

While we are discussing the prices... There is another parameter that would nicely fit in the logic of configurable prices. The price multiplier for supports. Now a player can tune the prices for really cheap vehicles, and tune the income... but all kinds of combat supports still cost several thousand regardless of all other prices 🙂

12 hours ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Any hint for when it might be published?

Soon.... I was hoping today but no promises, depends on how fast I can fix those bugs

12 hours ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

The price multiplier for supports.

Good idea. Though I'm beginning to think how much spam players can do with this free stuff, but I guess it's the player's own choice how to play 🙂

17 minutes ago, gc8 said:

I'm beginning to think how much spam players can do with this free stuff, but I guess it's the player's own choice how to play

I agree. In fact, with 200% multiplier for income, and 10% multiplier for vehicle cost, an attack heli costs less than 100, while player operates with tens of thousands. So who wants to cause a vehicle spam, can already do it. The support cost multiplier just adds consistency.

• Like 1