gc8

Field of war [CTI] [SP/MP]

I added more spawning positions for carriers, like discussed. one still for planes and 4 for helis

6 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Nice! Is the new release already published?

yes, in steam

So i figured how to properly lock on targets with aircrafts that don't have a gunner. I'm posting this here in case anyone else reading this thread has been wondering the same thing 

You aim with the thing marked with red circle:

aimwith.png

then press T (default key?) to lock on target

aimlocked.png

HF 🙂

That has been working, indeed. But what's the distance where the locking on target begins? If AA vehicle is 2-3 km away, you can target it this way if you have a radar mark (a small square), but the locking begins much later, when you actually get very close — if AA gives you that chance at all 🙂 

18 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

That has been working, indeed. But what's the distance where the locking on target begins? If AA vehicle is 2-3 km away, you can target it this way if you have a radar mark (a small square), but the locking begins much later, when you actually get very close — if AA gives you that chance at all 🙂 

dunno i think it's when those green dots start to appear you can then lock on them

i need to take more flight lessons to figure this stuff out 😉

It's possible to beat the AA. I just took out Tigris with Wipeout but had to use counter measures against the AA missiles. 

I don't think it's very realistic to try and beat AA with aircraft. from what i understand about real life AA systems...

new version is out!

What's new:

Improved airborne reinforce landing zones
The air cavalry reinforce now joins player's squad
Ordnance/vehicle drop location is now reset for new drops

• Like 1

Tested 0.9.41 a bit 🙂

On 12/27/2022 at 3:21 PM, gc8 said:

one still for planes and 4 for helis

Works 🙂

19 hours ago, gc8 said:

Improved airborne reinforce landing zones

Hmm, the VTOL flew right over me, and some moments later started to drop the soldiers. The closest one landed 350m away.

Btw, what is your setting for script execution time? Mine is set for "average". Maybe the drop script just executes a bit late for me, and VTOL manages to fly far over this time?

However, given his speed, I'd suggest VTOL must begin dropping a bit before he reaches the target drop point — soldiers also fly for a while with VTOL speed before they open their parachutes.

19 hours ago, gc8 said:

The air cavalry reinforce now joins player's squad

Didn't work out for me, although I was able to command only 2 men when requested cavalry support. The soldiers were listed in the right panel of the menu, but I wasn't able to command them, the squad list wasn't showing in the bottom part of the screen.

And I couldn't purchase vehiches with crew, because my command capacity was depleted somehow.

19 hours ago, gc8 said:

Ordnance/vehicle drop location is now reset for new drops

Requested a couple of times, got what received.

Noticed a curious moment:

— I reached the enemy main FOB on a Qilin MG, killed the soldiers manning AA defences and started to wait for incoming helicopters (somehow the base didn't disappear). A supply heli approached, I fired upon it when it was low, and it crashed. The next heli was shot down from a bigger height — his started to smoke and going down in rotation. And then disappeared before hitting the ground! Another try gave the same result. Looks like there's a script causing damaged supply heli to disappear rather quick?

@Aquila (DayZ) thx for testing!

24 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Hmm, the VTOL flew right over me, and some moments later started to drop the soldiers. The closest one landed 350m away.

hmm strange, i had good results while testing this. well back to work

26 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Btw, what is your setting for script execution time? Mine is set for "average". Maybe the drop script just executes a bit late for me, and VTOL manages to fly far over this time?

the script execution time shouldn't matter but lag itself might

27 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

However, given his speed, I'd suggest VTOL must begin dropping a bit before he reaches the target drop point

that's how I made it

27 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

soldiers also fly for a while with VTOL speed before they open their parachutes.

yeah I was thinking of "stopping" that but wasn't sure if it looked realistic

28 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Didn't work out for me, although I was able to command only 2 men when requested cavalry support. The soldiers were listed in the right panel of the menu, but I wasn't able to command them, the squad list wasn't showing in the bottom part of the screen.

And I couldn't purchase vehiches with crew, because my command capacity was depleted somehow.

huh , sounds like you cant see your AI units in the GUI?

30 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

— I reached the enemy main FOB on a Qilin MG, killed the soldiers manning AA defences and started to wait for incoming helicopters (somehow the base didn't disappear)

did you take out the gunners in the bunkers as well?

assuming you have base walls turned on

30 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

his started to smoke and going down in rotation. And then disappeared before hitting the ground!

will look at this

Ok I think I have finally figured the paradrop out. it was the east VTOL that flied too fast for proper paradrop but that should be fixed now

New version is up in steam!

Release notes:

Better paradrop accuracy for fast cargo planes
Town/FOB capture bar now shows unit counts
Other small changes

smoke marked LZ in action (is this still not working for you?):

20230103142036-1.jpg

new version is up!

what's new:

Fixed: Some of the UI elements were misplaced with different interface sizes
Changed how capture bar behaves in enemy places
New bar graphics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is my brief test of 0.9.43 🙂

Played East side.

On 1/5/2023 at 11:45 AM, gc8 said:

Better paradrop accuracy for fast cargo planes

At first try it was quite better, I landed almost where requested (drop was still a bit off, but at least the distance was not too far, so I could steer back).

At next attempts It was just in older versions — 400-500 m away. I tried ordering vehicles, the VTOL flies over my head and some moments later drops a vehicle — it lands several hundreds meters away.

Town/FOB capture bar now shows unit counts

Nice!

smoke marked LZ in action (is this still not working for you?):

Airlift worked before without any smokes (and I like it), but now I'm confused. Called for an airlift a couple of times at FOB. Heli comes and hovers above. Now I don't get messages about their approach anymore, but that's OK. I drop a smoke, but heli doesn't land. Hovers for a while and flies away.

Ok, maybe there are too many obstacles at FOB. Went just outside the walls, called for airlift again, and this time dropped a smoke on his approach. Now it worked! 

So the airlift heli lands with or without smoke, and I'm totally OK with it.

Btw, frontlines are still visible on minimap in infantry mode.

@Aquila (DayZ) thx for testing the mission!  

54 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

At first try it was quite better, I landed almost where requested (drop was still a bit off, but at least the distance was not too far, so I could steer back).

actually i meant the AI reinforcement drop should be more accurate. I should next improve the player airdrop

thx again 🙂

• Thanks 1

Reinforcement airdrop was much better, indeed. VTOL started dropping them when it flew over my head. The first soldier landed less than 100m away.

So it's not yet starting to drop them early to make the group center close to my position, but nonetheless current mode is still waaaaay better than it was before.

8 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Reinforcement airdrop was much better, indeed. VTOL started dropping them when it flew over my head. The first soldier landed less than 100m away.

So it's not yet starting to drop them early to make the group center close to my position, but nonetheless current mode is still waaaaay better than it was before.

i thought if the drop would happen on same square meter it wouldn't be too realistic 😄

i personally like the spread now

The spread is good! I simply thought you wanted to make the plane start dropping on approach — so the first soldier drops before plane reaches the target, and the last soldier drops after that. This way, the center of the dropped group would be closest to the target position.

The middle troop therefore would need to be the group leader, so that they converge on them.

11 minutes ago, kremator said:

The middle troop therefore would need to be the group leader, so that they converge on them.

good point, (applies to AI drops) haven't thought about that. But for player reinforcement drop the player on ground is the leader

Ok new version is up in steam!

What's new:

Better player airdrop code
Improved airlift radio chatter (tells when to pop smoke)
Fixed some startup script errors
Other smaller changes

I tested the VTOL vehicle drop and it worked fine for me but if there is still problems with that steps to reproduce the problem would be nice

Also haven't figured why the frontlines appear on minimap (For some of you), could that be due to some GPS mod?

I'll try disabling SimpleMapTools mod and test it over, maybe there's some cross-influence.

Also, I just thought — if players are able to airdrop anywhere on the map, and then call for a vehicle drop from there… maybe there could be an option for a combination? Airdropping an MG-enabled MRAP with player and his team inside it? :))

Of course, there are some hidden complications to be addressed — the paradrop is steerable, and vehicle drop is not, for example. What do you think about such concept?

33 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Also, I just thought — if players are able to airdrop anywhere on the map, and then call for a vehicle drop from there… maybe there could be an option for a combination? Airdropping an MG-enabled MRAP with player and his team inside it? :))

Of course, there are some hidden complications to be addressed — the paradrop is steerable, and vehicle drop is not, for example. What do you think about such concept?

that would be very powerful drop, it should cost more than the regular drop. I have to think about it. thx for the idea 🙂

Well, maybe that's an overkill unless restricted by some zones. Such a vehicle dropped in the middle of enemy FOB could potentially clear all defences rather fast. AT defences are looking out, not in — and AA defences don't shoot and destroy vehicles on parachutes (or do they?).

20 minutes ago, Aquila (DayZ) said:

Well, maybe that's an overkill unless restricted by some zones. Such a vehicle dropped in the middle of enemy FOB could potentially clear all defences rather fast. AT defences are looking out, not in — and AA defences don't shoot and destroy vehicles on parachutes (or do they?).

don't know how the AI behaves on parachuting quadbike , will it consider it air threat or ground 😄

but I think this will work if I just make it costly enough, to not allow too powerful weapon...

Well, artillery is really a too powerful weapon already. Btw, what happens when a FOB is destroyed for a side? Commander spawns engineering helicopter to fly and establish a new FOB? How is location for a new FOB chosen? How quickly does spawning happen and how quickly a new FOB appears?

That's related to my earlier questions about victory conditions.